PDA

View Full Version : FOX: ''Doesn't expect Fringe to grow in audience''

Homer 120
August 16th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Read this recently, and it DOES sound like FOX are behind Fringe. They also stated that if the show can maintain its audience for Season 4 then it's safe for another year!

So come on Fringe fans! Keep watching LIVE if you have the box!

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/08/fringe-season-4-fox-not-expecting.html

"I don’t expect Fringe to grow,” Reilly told critics at the network’s press tour in Beverly Hills... If Fringe can do exactly what Fringe did last year, we’re going to be very happy. They’re right in the pocket creatively once again."

Only a MONTH left till Season 4 begins!

IcarusAbides
August 16th, 2011, 03:55 AM
That's good news if Fringe can keep the numbers up. I agree there's not much chance of the numbers growing at this stage, It's too far into a complex story for people to pick it up unless they buy the dvd's first and catch up.

DigiFluid
August 16th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Yep...posted a similar story in the news thread not too long ago. (http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/55515-Fringe-(J.J.-Abrams)-General-Discussion-Spoilers-and-Speculation?p=12824573&viewfull=1#post12824573)

VengefulSpud
August 16th, 2011, 05:42 AM
They only need one more year for season 5 don't they ? that's all they ever said it was gonna take to finish out the story

IcarusAbides
August 16th, 2011, 06:36 AM
They only need one more year for season 5 don't they ? that's all they ever said it was gonna take to finish out the story

True and if they get the 5 seasons it would be great but TV execs don't care how many seasons a show needs to finish it's story, they cancel them when it suits them.

DigiFluid
August 16th, 2011, 06:37 AM
There's been rumours of a 7-year story. For where the story began and where it is now, I don't understand how that's doable but it would be nice. In any case, word is that the writers/producers have the series finale of the show roughly laid out/planned. So if they get cancelled, they can put together a proper series finale pretty quickly.

IcarusAbides
August 16th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I want a prequel charting Walter's adventures in the 70s.

knowles2
August 16th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I always thought that the people behind this series basically meant FOX was going to bend over backwards and support it, no matter what the number are. It appears I am right.

I love the series an wish other shows would get the same kind of support, Eureka, SGU and Camelot.

IcarusAbides
August 16th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I always thought that the people behind this series basically meant FOX was going to bend over backwards and support it, no matter what the number are. It appears I am right.

I love the series an wish other shows would get the same kind of support, Eureka, SGU and Camelot.

I still can't forgive fox for what they did to Firefly, Human Target (execs ruined season 2 after a great first season), Lie to me( I liked that show, the numbers weren't always great but they moved it around the schedule so much). Tru Calling (they never even aired the last filmed episode), Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (Cancelled just when it was getting good). And then they moved Fringe to the Friday night deathslot, I just don't trust them even with Fringe.

SaberBlade
August 16th, 2011, 10:22 AM
If season four fails, I'm not really sure it's going to be Fox's fault. If they support it with a good day/timeslot, the show will have to work it's own magic.

For me, JJ Abrams' shows tend to start going losing the plot around season 3 or 4. I lost interested in Lost during the third season, I couldn't get into Alias when the fourth season started but I'm really enjoying Fringe and would hate to see it end. I think what makes Fringe stand out is that it's about investigating these bizarre events while Alias and Lost didn't really bother and just got more bizarre in an effort to build something.

VengefulSpud
August 16th, 2011, 10:45 AM
For me, JJ Abrams' shows tend to start going losing the plot around season 3 or 4. I lost interested in Lost during the third season, I couldn't get into Alias when the fourth season started but I'm really enjoying Fringe and would hate to see it end. I think what makes Fringe stand out is that it's about investigating these bizarre events while Alias and Lost didn't really bother and just got more bizarre in an effort to build something.

True, Lost's third season was the weakest, just plain bad. But i think Fringe has already broken the trend. Season 3 was unreal, and the setup for season 4 was amazing. I'm confident we'll see this series end properly with season 5. Hopeful anyways !

VengefulSpud
August 16th, 2011, 10:48 AM

I'd say we'll at least get a few more flashback episodes, the opening sequence for those episodes was savage ! They could do more 70's flashbacks with Walternate !

IcarusAbides
August 16th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I'd say we'll at least get a few more flashback episodes, the opening sequence for those episodes was savage ! They could do more 70's flashbacks with Walternate !

Nope, I want a prequel, preferably animated and called L.S.D. They can make the letters stand for whatever they want but I want that Acronym as the title.

DigiFluid
August 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I love the retro episodes with their unique intro, but I think using it for regular storytelling would take away from how cool they are.

the fifth man
August 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM
I sure hope this great show can maintain its ratings numbers. We just don't want a massive drop-off at any point. Nice and steady works for me.

magictrick
August 17th, 2011, 07:41 PM
FOX is giving the show another chance when many expected them not to. Can't really blame the network this time around if season 4 isn't a ratings success.

the fifth man
August 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I have faith that this season will keep people interested enough to keep the ratings where they need to be.

DigiFluid
August 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM
FOX is giving the show another chance when many expected them not to. Can't really blame the network this time around if season 4 isn't a ratings success.
As long as it's sitting in the Friday Night Death Slot I can blame FOX alright.

the fifth man
August 20th, 2011, 08:49 PM
As long as it's sitting in the Friday Night Death Slot I can blame FOX alright.

As long as it can maintain its numbers from last season, we hopefully should be okay. The Fringe fans just really have to step up to support this show.

LtColCarter
August 21st, 2011, 09:53 AM

That would be interesting...

SaberBlade
August 21st, 2011, 01:24 PM
As long as it can maintain its numbers from last season, we hopefully should be okay. The Fringe fans just really have to step up to support this show.

The problem is it's not maintaining it's ratings. It's ratings after season one have been on a continuous drop. I'm honestly surprised it got renewed for a fourth season, so either Fox are playing favourites or someone there likes the show. Moving it to Friday nights didn't help the season 3 ratings, it may have stopped them from balancing out, so I can see Fox moving keeping it on Fridays just because they want a reason to cancel it.

I see the ratings for Fringe's last season and Sarah Connor's and I'm surprised they kept Fringe and cancelled Sarah.

IcarusAbides
August 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM
The problem is it's not maintaining it's ratings. It's ratings after season one have been on a continuous drop. I'm honestly surprised it got renewed for a fourth season, so either Fox are playing favourites or someone there likes the show. Moving it to Friday nights didn't help the season 3 ratings, it may have stopped them from balancing out, so I can see Fox moving keeping it on Fridays just because they want a reason to cancel it.

I see the ratings for Fringe's last season and Sarah Connor's and I'm surprised they kept Fringe and cancelled Sarah.

I know the ratings have been heading down since the first season but I thought they said something about the ratings are expected to be lower on Friday night and so they aren't under as much pressure.

VengefulSpud
August 21st, 2011, 03:55 PM
I know the ratings have been heading down since the first season but I thought they said something about the ratings are expected to be lower on Friday night and so they aren't under as much pressure.

We have to hope. Coz if this show ends before its time as well, there will be hell to pay ! I'm talking going all crazy Fringe scientists on the guys who makes the decisions collective butts ! I don't think they'd appreciate a blue powder spewing doll that can make their bones all squisy ! What an episode, that's why I love the show !

the fifth man
August 21st, 2011, 06:06 PM
If this does turn out to be Fringe's final season, I think TPTB would give us a proper ending if given the time to do so.

LtColCarter
August 21st, 2011, 07:31 PM
If this does turn out to be Fringe's final season, I think TPTB would give us a proper ending if given the time to do so.

I should hope so!

SaberBlade
August 21st, 2011, 07:33 PM

If the President of Fox himself said that, with his hand on a bible while volunteering to take a lie detector test, I'd still think he's full of crap. Fox will either stick it on a Friday to give them an excuse to cancel it, or they'll stick a decent rating show on a Friday and cancel it because it doesn't pull in better ratings (or just flat out loses ratings).

the fifth man
August 22nd, 2011, 07:14 PM
For now, I choose to remain optimistic. I plan on just trying to enjoy this season as much as possible.

IcarusAbides
August 23rd, 2011, 03:43 AM
If the President of Fox himself said that, with his hand on a bible while volunteering to take a lie detector test, I'd still think he's full of crap. Fox will either stick it on a Friday to give them an excuse to cancel it, or they'll stick a decent rating show on a Friday and cancel it because it doesn't pull in better ratings (or just flat out loses ratings).

I'm not saying I trust them either, It was just a thought as to why Fringe got a fourth season after being shifted to the friday night death slot.

LtColCarter
August 26th, 2011, 06:36 AM
For now, I choose to remain optimistic. I plan on just trying to enjoy this season as much as possible.

:indeed:

the fifth man
August 26th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I am just excited that we have another season to enjoy.

SaberBlade
August 27th, 2011, 01:45 AM
I am just excited that we have another season to enjoy.

After the last season finale, I am too. I'm looking forward to it greatly but part of me thinks it's time to start taking bets on how many episodes will air before Fox announce they cancel it (I'd say 9).

LtColCarter
August 27th, 2011, 01:46 PM
I refuse to take bets...I wanna see it go on...

So, I'm going to remain positive.

the fifth man
August 27th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I refuse to take best...I wanna see it go on...

So, I'm going to remain positive.

For now, I will remain positive too. There is no reason not to really.

LtColCarter
August 28th, 2011, 11:29 AM
For now, I will remain positive too. There is no reason not to really.

the fifth man
August 28th, 2011, 05:17 PM
I am just really excited about what lies ahead this season.

LtColCarter
August 28th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I am just really excited about what lies ahead this season.

I wanna see how they bring Peter back.

Commander Zelix
August 29th, 2011, 07:01 AM
I always expect Fringe to grow in audience and reach billions because it's THAT good! :)

Get the word out.

the fifth man
August 30th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Yeah, some people just don't know what a great show they are missing out on.

LtColCarter
August 31st, 2011, 06:33 AM
Yeah, some people just don't know what a great show they are missing out on.

I know right! :D

the fifth man
August 31st, 2011, 08:37 PM
At least I have been able to turn a few people at work on to just how good a show Fringe is.

CMWriter
September 21st, 2011, 11:10 AM
I'll be watching live, every Friday, because for me this is the best show on broadcast and I think a little piece of my soul would die if it were canceled. Fringe was love at first sight for me and the first really refreshing sci-fi I've seen since USA's The 4400. It's so weird, but so incredible. I think John Noble really makes it a quality show, though. He's an absolutely fantastic actor and it's a darned shame he got snubbed for an Emmy nod for his performance in "White Tulip" -- or any other number of episodes.

LtColCarter
September 21st, 2011, 07:37 PM
I'll be watching live, every Friday, because for me this is the best show on broadcast and I think a little piece of my soul would die if it were canceled. Fringe was love at first sight for me and the first really refreshing sci-fi I've seen since USA's The 4400. It's so weird, but so incredible. I think John Noble really makes it a quality show, though. He's an absolutely fantastic actor and it's a darned shame he got snubbed for an Emmy nod for his performance in "White Tulip" -- or any other number of episodes.

I find myself agreeing with you again! I watch this show live...and record my other favorite show on Friday night.

the fifth man
September 21st, 2011, 07:58 PM
I will definitely watch most of this season live as it airs. I just wish that my viewing live was really counted.

LtColCarter
September 22nd, 2011, 03:08 AM
I will definitely watch most of this season live as it airs. I just wish that my viewing live was really counted.

Snowman37
September 22nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Keep in mind that watching the original broadcast will only count if you have a Nielson's Ratings box hooked up to your television set.

the fifth man
September 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Keep in mind that watching the original broadcast will only count if you have a Nielson's Ratings box hooked up to your television set.

Something I really do wish I had.

LtColCarter
September 22nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
Something I really do wish I had.

As do I.

Homer 120
September 24th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Fringe Season 4 premiered with a 1.5/5 in the demo last night. So far the show seems to be doing what it was doing last year when it moved to Friday, keep it up Fringe!

KayleeLiz
September 25th, 2011, 06:53 PM
They may not think it's going to grow, but I sure am going to try my damned hardest to make sure it does. I've already got seven of my friends, four of my friend's parents, my parents, and my younger brother hooked. That's fourteen people! I'd say I'm doing pretty well :D

LtColCarter
September 25th, 2011, 07:58 PM
They may not think it's going to grow, but I sure am going to try my damned hardest to make sure it does. I've already got seven of my friends, four of my friend's parents, my parents, and my younger brother hooked. That's fourteen people! I'd say I'm doing pretty well :D

Sounds like it...now get those people to get more people hooked! :D

the fifth man
September 26th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Sounds like it...now get those people to get more people hooked! :D

Yep, all we can do is spread the word about this magnificent show.

KayleeLiz
September 27th, 2011, 05:14 PM
BAM! One more. Successfully got my cousin to watch the season premeire. He said he loved it :D

Commander Zelix
September 27th, 2011, 06:22 PM
BAM! One more. Successfully got my cousin to watch the season premeire. He said he loved it :D
Really? That's great. I always wonder how people would react to watching Fringe for the first time by starting right now. As I said in another thread I think the fourth season premiere was easy to follow for a new viewers contrary to season 3 premiere. Even if each seasons, including the third, got their own season arc. Especially with blue Lincoln being like the eyes of the new viewers (since he was also discovering Fringe). Glad it was the case for your cousin.

the fifth man
September 27th, 2011, 07:13 PM
The more fans and viewers the better.

KayleeLiz
September 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Really? That's great. I always wonder how people would react to watching Fringe for the first time by starting right now. As I said in another thread I think the fourth season premiere was easy to follow for a new viewers contrary to season 3 premiere. Even if each seasons, including the third, got their own season arc. Especially with blue Lincoln being like the eyes of the new viewers (since he was also discovering Fringe). Glad it was the case for your cousin.

The season four premiere was definitely much easier to follow than season three. After we watched the season four premiere we decided to go back and watch season three. He spent the entire episode poking me in the side and asking me questions, then running out of the room then Peter kissed Altlivia at the end. Did I mention that he's only ten?

unknown_k
February 23rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
I just started watching season 1 (ep 1-10) online and don't know what to make of it. The weirdness probably puts people off (which I assume gets worse each season?). I don't like the fake science much, but the characters are interesting.

This definatly is a show you cannot just jump into in the middle (seen one episode of season 4 on Hulu and have no idea what is going on).

So unless you seen it from the start I can't see new people watching it and like any show old viewers get bored and leave so ratings will drop year after year.

LtColCarter
February 23rd, 2012, 02:52 PM
I just started watching season 1 (ep 1-10) online and don't know what to make of it. The weirdness probably puts people off (which I assume gets worse each season?). I don't like the fake science much, but the characters are interesting.

This definatly is a show you cannot just jump into in the middle (seen one episode of season 4 on Hulu and have no idea what is going on).

So unless you seen it from the start I can't see new people watching it and like any show old viewers get bored and leave so ratings will drop year after year.

Although most of the stuff is not attainable...it is not fake science. There are scientific theories out there about traveling through time etc. If you told someone in the 1950s that by 2012...we'd be afraid to walk out of our houses with our cell phones...they would've told you that you're crazy. If you would've told them that we'd have laser eye surgery...they'd say that is impossible....so watch what you call "fake."

unknown_k
February 23rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
If you look through the history of science the vast majority of theories are bull**** and discredited. Even some of the stuff I read in my Physical Chemistry books in the 1990's were proven wrong already. The show doesn't even deal with real physics, its just made up crap (aka fake science).

Unless I am mistaken Fringe takes place in the present day, not 50+ years from now when science has figured out more things and engineers have made that science a reality (which takes quite a bit of time and effort to do).

DigiFluid
February 23rd, 2012, 07:03 PM
Hrm. It's in the bloody name of the show, you lot. Fringe science. The things which are rumoured to be real, and appear to have some level of anecdotal evidence, but are scoffed at by mainstream science. "Real"/"fake" science are not terms that really apply to the show.

ZRFTS
February 24th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Hrm. It's in the bloody name of the show, you lot. Fringe science. The things which are rumoured to be real, and appear to have some level of anecdotal evidence, but are scoffed at by mainstream science. "Real"/"fake" science are not terms that really apply to the show.

Well said.

Fringe science is actually a pretty real thing and it forms a basis of science. There are lots of stuff that have either been credited or discredited and stuff that was either proven to be impossible but later proven to be possible. It's even in the intro itself during the list of Fringe science; I can't list any specifics but from the past, virtual reality has proven to be impossible but look at us now, we have some form of virtual reality (aka Second Life); while it may not be the 100% virtual reality it claims to be, it is a step forward.

Made up crap in science is one thing but being proven as fact is another; as one user said, watch what you call fake.

LtColCarter
February 24th, 2012, 07:11 AM
If you look through the history of science the vast majority of theories are bull**** and discredited. Even some of the stuff I read in my Physical Chemistry books in the 1990's were proven wrong already. The show doesn't even deal with real physics, its just made up crap (aka fake science).

Unless I am mistaken Fringe takes place in the present day, not 50+ years from now when science has figured out more things and engineers have made that science a reality (which takes quite a bit of time and effort to do).

Dude...then just don't watch the show if you're that freaking' irritated.

unknown_k
March 15th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I watch the show for the characters not for the fake science. Scifi lets the writers put characters into very interesting settings compared to a cop show for example. Just because I think the science is junk doesn't mean I think the show is bad (almost done with season 1).

DigiFluid
March 15th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Apparently, bears repeating:

LtColCarter
March 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I watch the show for the characters not for the fake science. Scifi lets the writers put characters into very interesting settings compared to a cop show for example. Just because I think the science is junk doesn't mean I think the show is bad (almost done with season 1).

Seems like the show irritates you based on your previous post...

Apparently, bears repeating:

Some people just don't read.....