Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm going to see this episode for the first time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to see this episode for the first time...

Managed to never see this series ender before this Friday. Don't anyone tell me how it ends!

Someone already blabbed something about a candlestick, a library and someone named "White"...

regards,
    G.
    Go for Marty...

NO!!

The vessel with the pestle has the pellet with the poison, the flagon with the Dragon has the brew that is true.

(If you get that you are either old or have good taste )
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Good luck, hope you have a strong stomach watching it.

Comment

Hope your going to post your thoughts on it afterwards.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, the first thoughts while I mull things over:

1.) It wasn't a particularly novel idea, having the big ship moving towards Earth. It's been done before, in the Stargate franchise and elsewhere. I would have liked some kind of foothold situation and a pitched battle of some sort, but costs would be higher I suppose.

2.) I understand it's SGA, so those people have to be the movers and shakers of the episode, and be the guys who save the planet, but yeesh.

Shepperd telling Carter how things are going to work - no no no. If O'Neill had told Shepperd he was going to be sitting in the chair, he should sitting in the chair. His experience would be the key reason to put him there. Having him pilot a 303 shouldn't make that big a difference in the outcome. Having his butt blown off while up in the air could make a difference to the outcome. That it worked out as it did was just a contrived stunt by the writers, which I found kinda' silly and only necessary because Flanigan is the "star" of the show.

3.) Carter was useless. For reasons, see above. Her inclusion wasn't necessary other than to act as part of the passing of the torch ceremony. All of the other cameos from SG folks over the years were expected but got to be a little annoying. They were doing nothing of importance other than adding their faces.

I don't recall seeing Siler, but then nothing at the SGC exploded, in fact nothing anywhere exploded except at Area 51... NO!! Siler must have been at Area 51! Damn you wraith, DAMN YOU!!! Well, at least he went out with a bang.

4.) Putting Beckett in chair was done as they had nothing else to do with him. He and Keller were after thoughts in the episode.

5.) The IOA sneer by Major Davis harkens back to SG-1 and instances like Hammond showing his distain of Colonel Samuels wanting to escape through the gate.

6.) That the chair got moved is not too big of a surprise. Leaving it in Antarctica, if it could work just as well in the Bahamas then why not move it. That they moved it and gave it no heavy protection (eg. shields) was kinda silly. Would it have killed them to put a naquadah generator, or two, on the base to create a shield? Even if the hive ship over powered the shield, it just seems like something they *should* have done.

7.) Sending only a few through the gate to the hive ship - should have been more. And what if the wraith had put up a shield over their gate?

8.) Deus ex to move the city at the last minute (Zelenka). As soon as it was mentioned you know it would work and the city would arrive... just... in... time.

9.) Leaving the Ronon/Teyla "we can drop you off if you want" moment until the city had almost left Pegasus was silly. Why wouldn't he have given them a choice before the city took off?

10,) The attempted heroic deaths all around got to be laughable. Very deja vu moment with the wraith acting as a sarcophagus (Ronon/Jackson).

11.) Familiarity with the wraith ship? Doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have been as easy for the boarding party to determine where things were, even with Ancient scanners, and the wraith should have been able to tell where the humans were much more effectively.

12.) Very Apollo 13 moment with the inability to communicate with the re-entry vehicle. There is a period of time when a re-entry vehicle cannot contact the ground. It's always used for dramatic effect.

13.) Not sure where the Banks/Ronon ship came from. I may have missed other season five episodes, perhaps it's supposed to have bloomed after events in "The Prodigal".

14.) Nice touch with the re-naming of the Phoenix to the "Hammond". Why would they want to name a ship after a city in Arizona? ()

15.) I don't recall there being a "memory lane" instance like, where one character looks at photos of former cast members (eg. Higginson, Francks, RDH, Davis) who might not be available, but allows acknowledgement of their participation.

regards,
          G.
          Last edited by Gollumpus; 12 August 2011, 12:33 PM.
          Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
            NO!!

The vessel with the pestle has the pellet with the poison, the flagon with the Dragon has the brew that is true.

(If you get that you are either old or have good taste )
            LOL! Love that movie!! I wasn't around when it came out though, turned up a couple of years later! So, guess I'm old then and have good taste!!!

I thought EATG was a good non stop adventure romp. SGA wasn't my favourite of the 3 series', but it was entertaining enough and had some good moments. If you ignore all the things that can be nit picked about it, it was a fun ending to Atlantis, for me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
              LOL! Love that movie!! I wasn't around when it came out though, turned up a couple of years later! So, guess I'm old then and have good taste!!!

I thought EATG was a good non stop adventure romp. SGA wasn't my favourite of the 3 series', but it was entertaining enough and had some good moments. If you ignore all the things that can be nit picked about it, it was a fun ending to Atlantis, for me anyway.
              It's all tickety-boo.

I was a fun episode. I believe it could have been better, and it could have been better with minor changes. Meh, it was two years ago.

regards,
              G.
              Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                If you ignore all the things that can be nit picked about it, it was a fun ending to Atlantis, for me anyway.
                That would entail ignoring about 3/4 of the episode
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                  That would entail ignoring about 3/4 of the episode
                  LOL! But the other 1/4 made up for it!

Comment

6.) That the chair got moved is not too big of a surprise. Leaving it in Antarctica, if it could work just as well in the Bahamas then why not move it. That they moved it and gave it no heavy protection (eg. shields) was kinda silly. Would it have killed them to put a naquadah generator, or two, on the base to create a shield? Even if the hive ship over powered the shield, it just seems like something they *should* have done.
                    Perhaps we have not managed to recreate portable shield generators..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                      Perhaps we have not managed to recreate portable shield generators..
                      Not sure how portable it would have to be. I suspect they wouldn't be driving the chair around once they got it to Area 51, so the chair would be in one room and the shield technology could be in the next room, bolted to the floor...

regards,
                      G.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

Working...
                      X