Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Syfy Can End the Pattern (Article)

Good Article on CNN: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/08...n/?hpt=hp_bn11

The quote like is this: "I think our big frustration with a show like Battlestar Galactica has been, it’s a great show. Because it’s on the science fiction channel it’s kept people away, that we felt like would come in and love that show. So it’s made us a little more hesitant about going too hard scifi. Because hard scifi on the scifi channel is almost like this double whammy. Now that we have a brand that is a little broader and we’re embracing a lot of things we’re already doing. I think it also gives us a lot of freedom to do more hard scifi" Mark Stern president of original programming. What a joke

Eureka too?

I never cared for the show, but, bloody hell, this is ridiculous...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

blame comcast they killed tech tv and now it looks like G4 is next with if going UFC or WWE.

Comcast is only good at sports.

Comment

I think the trick to breaking Syfy's cycle of cancellation is to fire Mark Stern, from a cannon, aiming towards the sun.

It could then be recorded and tracked by Hubble and turned into the first ever reality show in space, which Syfy can then broadcast.

sigpic

Comment

i never watched eureka but still sad to see another sci-fi show just get cancelled. it sound like it had to good ratings too.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
            I think the trick to breaking Syfy's cycle of cancellation is to fire Mark Stern, from a cannon, aiming towards the sun.

It could then be recorded and tracked by Hubble and turned into the first ever reality show in space, which Syfy can then broadcast.
            But it will be on Syfy, and no one is watching Syfy anymore.............
            sigpic
            ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
            A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
            The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
              But it will be on Syfy, and no one is watching Syfy anymore.............
              But it is a reality show, so they'll try to draw people back to the channel with it.

sigpic

Comment

Only if there are mostly-naked, over-muscled men whomping each other involved in shooting off the cannon...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                  i never watched eureka but still sad to see another sci-fi show just get cancelled. it sound like it had to good ratings too.
                  Just cancelling it I could maybe understand but the amateurish handling of it when they renewed it for a Sixth season less than a week before they changed their minds and cancelled it is just ridiculous.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IcarusAbides View Post
                    Just cancelling it I could maybe understand but the amateurish handling of it when they renewed it for a Sixth season less than a week before they changed their minds and cancelled it is just ridiculous.
                    yes, I dont care for the show, but how they handled it was absurd, I thought they knew how to cancel shows... .... Still mad about SG:Us Canceling, currently re-watching it on dvd, and its really hard to watch it because you know there arent gonna be any more episodes!
                    sigpic

Comment

You cannot run a successful business long term if you don't have a direction (vision and mission) of what you want to be. If you are just worried about the bottom line and profit it will not work. It may look good in the short term when you are making your profit but difficulties will eventually arise.

So substituting wrestling and other reality shows seems like a genius idea for easy cash, but completely neglecting your core product will not turn out well. If they want to be a reality show station that's a different story. But right now they just seem to be piecing together random things to make ends meet and achieve a profit.

Also their scheduling is horrid. The long breaks and scheduling days with shows competing against top performers on CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. is a terrible idea. They need to learn to use the power of proper scheduling and promoting a la HBO. How they fail to realize the potential audience that exists during the summer is beyond ridiculous.
                      sigpic

Comment

There is nothing for me to watch on this channel anymore. Except the occasional Star Trek rerun. The long breaks really annoyed me. I used to hold out hope they would bring back Doctor Who.
                        sigpic
                        Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

SyFy just needs to work with its lot. You know, so what if people are shying away from the network because it's "sci fi and fantasy" and there's a stigma attached to the genre? Just work with what you have.

When you have a hit show like Sanctuary, don't put the second half of the season on Monday nights against the same time slot as Castle. Castle has the same dedicated fanbase that would go over to SyFy on Friday nights, but they're too diehard over Nathan Fillion to give him up for some new show.

I mean, seriously. Appeal to that Firefly fanbase, and try to bring in more converts to the shows you have. Earlier someone mentioned more "hard sci fi"... Younger, edgier versions of existing Stargate casts does not make a series "hard sci fi" (I'm speaking to YOU, Stargate Universe).

But honestly, I dig those lame cheesy scifi movies they play on the weekends. Sharktopus and Goblin Shark, and Supervolcano in New York... Gotta love 'em! They're my guilty pleasure

Comment

Working...
                          X