PDA

View Full Version : Six Episode 6th Season to be Eureka's Last?

Killdeer
August 4th, 2011, 03:51 PM
It's being reported by Deadline that Syfy has ordered six episodes to wrap the series. This would be in addition to the thirteen episodes for Season Five currently being filmed (S4.5 is currently airing).

Deadline article (http://www.deadline.com/2011/08/syfys-eureka-poised-to-end-its-run-with-final-6-episode-order/)
TVLine (http://www.tvline.com/2011/08/syfy-eureka-to-end-its-run/) (pretty much the same thing)

However, James Hibbard at InsideTV has a somewhat different report. LINK (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/04/syfy-eureka-sixth/)

And here's TVbytheNumbers' take on it. LINK (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/08/04/report-eureka-coming-to-a-close-but-theres-still-quite-a-bit-left/99642/)

What do you all think? I'm a little shocked, to be honest. After my initial "what?!?!?" reaction, I don't think I'd mind them planning ahead for a final season - that gives them a chance to give it a good ending if that's what they want. And while I love the show, I'd rather it end on a high note than otherwise. But I just don't get the six episode final season thing. Why not a full thirteen episode final season? :confused: :(

mr_kennedy
August 4th, 2011, 04:43 PM
I also read that it could be 6 more episodes for season 5 and that season 5 may be the last :( i hope not i only just got into eureka this year :(

IcarusAbides
August 4th, 2011, 04:54 PM
To be honest the serieshas been going downhill for me after the first two seasons which were brilliant.

Everlovin
August 4th, 2011, 05:12 PM
But...but...I love EUReKA! It can't be over that soon!

It's almost getting to where I don't need to watch SyFy for anything!

IcarusAbides
August 4th, 2011, 05:15 PM
But...but...I love EUReKA! It can't be over that soon!

It's almost getting to where I don't need to watch SyFy for anything!

But what about all the wrestling you will miss.

DigiFluid
August 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah.... I like Eureka and will watch it as long as it airs, but I think it's been struggling a bit ever since one of the show's founders left. You can identify it from about the time the Artifact story came to a close.

Season 3 was a bit of floundering about while they tried to figure out what to do with it, and while the Season 4 story is interesting, I'm finding it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

If a 5th season is to be the end, I won't mind. Despite its problems I've enjoyed it throughout, but it's kind of had its run.

mr_kennedy
August 4th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Yeah.... I like Eureka and will watch it as long as it airs, but I think it's been struggling a bit ever since one of the show's founders left. You can identify it from about the time the Artifact story came to a close.

Season 3 was a bit of floundering about while they tried to figure out what to do with it, and while the Season 4 story is interesting, I'm finding it's getting a bit long in the tooth.

If a 5th season is to be the end, I won't mind. Despite its problems I've enjoyed it throughout, but it's kind of had its run.

And atleast its getting the chance to wrap up the storyline, if it were on NBC or probably FOX too it would just be cancelled.... to tell you the truth im actually suprised Syfy is giving it a chance to wrap up the storyline

IcarusAbides
August 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM

The whole changing the timeline thing is when it really went wrong for me, too many changes that I disliked.

DigiFluid
August 4th, 2011, 05:29 PM
The whole changing the timeline thing is when it really went wrong for me, too many changes that I disliked.

I like the changed timeline.... Or rather, I did at first. But at this point, it feels like it's been going on for too long and I'm ready for things to be fixed. And I think Zoe is sorely since her departure from the main cast.

Briangate78
August 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I don't believe it is the performance since it still is one of the top shows in ratings for the network. Perhaps the producers want to just end it on a high note. I'd rather a show end with plenty of notice, so it gives the producers/writers time to have a fitting solid ending, something none of the Stargates got.

IcarusAbides
August 4th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I like the changed timeline.... Or rather, I did at first. But at this point, it feels like it's been going on for too long and I'm ready for things to be fixed. And I think Zoe is sorely since her departure from the main cast.

It has been drawn out too much, there's something wrong when they have to run a previously on clip before every episode. The only thing I liked about the timeline change was James Callis, he was brilliant.

Killdeer
August 4th, 2011, 11:10 PM

May be a spoiler....
They never had any intention of fixing the changed timeline. They've said consistently that the changes were permanent. They're not going back to the old one. It was always meant to be a permanent reset.

Killdeer
August 4th, 2011, 11:29 PM
I also read that it could be 6 more episodes for season 5 and that season 5 may be the last :( i hope not i only just got into eureka this year :(

I've read that, but the Syfy statements are calling it a sixth season, so that's what I'm going with.

Hollywood Reporter and Zap2it are getting pretty much the same statement that EW got....

"[Producers] Bruce Miller and Jaime Paglia have brought a creative vitality to Eureka that has kept it fresh and inventive," said Mark Stern, president of original content at Syfy, in a statement to THR. "Although we do not have a commitment beyond six episodes for the sixth season, we are hopeful that this will not be the end of the franchise."LINK (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-commits-sixth-season-eureka-219524)

I don't know. If they tack the six episodes onto the back of the 13 episodes for season five and let them run all at once and just wrap the story up, that might be all right. It's just....I see us getting S5 next summer, and then a short six episode episode season in 2013, and that just seems weird. Six episodes isn't really even time enough to do a real story arc, unless they do it mini-series style.

Just to be clear....I'm not angry about this guys, :) even though Eureka's still one of my top favorite shows. A six-episode wrap-up, if true, is more than a lot of series get, and I am thankful for that. I'm just a little....stunned, I suppose, at the moment, and trying to understand what's going on. I didn't see this coming for a while yet.

Browncoat1984
August 4th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I'm so sick of this shortened season crap. Its like seasons keep on getting shorter and shorter! AMC pulled this six season crap with The Walking Dead. Its like what David Hewlett said - going into an ice cream shop and just getting the sampler. And The Walking Dead was so popular that they extended it to 13 episodes per season.

But come on, are we surprised here? This is SyFy. They create a series or pick it up from another network, it becomes popular and adds good rep to their name and when they have a loyal and dedicated fan base...they cancel it and piss off said fan base. They did it with Stargate SG-1/Stargate Atlantis/Stargate Universe, they did it with Farscape and now they're doing it with Eureka!

If this is true, then Alphas and Warehouse 13 will most definitely be the final new shows I watch on the network. I'm so sick of this crap. SyFy doesn't care at all about its fans or even its reputation anymore, its all about ratings and making the cheapest shows you can. The thing is though, piss off enough of those fan bases and it WILL come back to bite you.

I've been going back through Star Trek: TOS Remastered and thinking about how great it was when TV shows delivered 25-26 episodes a season, episodes were 50 minutes and you didn't have to deal with additional annoying overlays promoting network shows (the same shows they advertise during EVERY commercial break). And am I the only one who thinks that they are getting even more intrusive and annoying with those overlays? I don't need an ad for a show to appear over a quarter of my screen, when there ALREADY is a small add for ANOTHER one of there shows in the OTHER corner of my screen...next thing they'll do is take up all FOUR corners of the screen with ads for their shows...

RE: Zoe - I miss Zoe too, but that's the nature of the beast. When you have characters on a show who are in highschool, you know that eventually they'll move out and go to college (especially in Eureka) so that she's in college makes perfect sense for her not being around.

Killdeer
August 4th, 2011, 11:51 PM
As far as Syfy shows go, I'm only watching Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Alphas, and I'm not crazy about Alphas. I'm just trying to give it a fair shot before I drop it. :S It's not based on any desire to boycott the network - I'm just not all that interested in their other stuff.

There's been rumors flying around about a WH13 spinoff - a prequel series based around the H.G.Wells character. I'm not sure I'm all that excited about that either though. *shrugs* MMV.

From EW: (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/04/syfy-eureka-sixth/)
Notice Stern says “franchise” at the end here instead of “show” or “series.” Spin-off? Hmm…
I can't imagine how they would spinoff Eureka. ;) Eureka in space maybe? :D

mr_kennedy
August 5th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I've read that, but the Syfy statements are calling it a sixth season, so that's what I'm going with.

Hollywood Reporter and Zap2it are getting pretty much the same statement that EW got....
LINK (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/syfy-commits-sixth-season-eureka-219524)

I don't know. If they tack the six episodes onto the back of the 13 episodes for season five and let them run all at once and just wrap the story up, that might be all right. It's just....I see us getting S5 next summer, and then a short six episode episode season in 2013, and that just seems weird. Six episodes isn't really even time enough to do a real story arc, unless they do it mini-series style.

Just to be clear....I'm not angry about this guys, :) even though Eureka's still one of my top favorite shows. A six-episode wrap-up, if true, is more than a lot of series get, and I am thankful for that. I'm just a little....stunned, I suppose, at the moment, and trying to understand what's going on. I didn't see this coming for a while yet.

Yeah i got my sources from IGN, they can be abit more credible most of the time, so maybe its not going to end? who knows...... but as a fan im glad its not going to be cancelled

Spimman
August 5th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Initial reaction isn't good, but as I think about it I'm happy with this. 6 seasons is a good run and being able to know the end is coming is pretty cool.

As far as original shows on SyFy go I'll be down to only Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary (which might\likely will end next year as well).

maxbo
August 5th, 2011, 08:17 AM
If Season 5 or 6 turns out to be the end, then I hope it's because the cast and writers are ready to move on. In any event, it's good that it'll have enough advance notice to go out on its own terms.

As for the alternate timeline, I love it and it's what got me watching the show again on a regular basis, so I hope they never go back to the original timeline.

DigiFluid
August 5th, 2011, 09:18 AM
As far as original shows on SyFy go I'll be down to only Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary (which might\likely will end next year as well).
Skipping out on Being Human season 2? And I thought my reaction to Dichen Lachman's casting was bad :p

Killdeer
August 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM
As for the alternate timeline, I love it and it's what got me watching the show again on a regular basis, so I hope they never go back to the original timeline.

I agree - I think the alternate timeline's been good for all the characters involved - not that it's been easy, but I think they're all in a better place than they were in the other timeline. I would hate to see it reset again. Jack's the only one who would be in about the same place in either timeline. Henry would lose Grace (and seriously, hasn't the man suffered enough?), Jo would lose her job and have to go back to being Jack's deputy, Fargo would lose his job, Allison would get her job back but Kevin would have autism again. And I'm not sure how excited she ever was about being head of GD. And I'll be the first to admit that I was highly skeptical about making Fargo director, but they've made it work.

Everlovin
August 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM
But what about all the wrestling you will miss.

Just blech!

As far as Syfy shows go, I'm only watching Eureka, Warehouse 13, and Alphas, and I'm not crazy about Alphas. I'm just trying to give it a fair shot before I drop it. :S It's not based on any desire to boycott the network - I'm just not all that interested in their other stuff.

There's been rumors flying around about a WH13 spinoff - a prequel series based around the H.G.Wells character. I'm not sure I'm all that excited about that either though. *shrugs* MMV.

From EW: (http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/04/syfy-eureka-sixth/)
I can't imagine how they would spinoff Eureka. ;) Eureka in space maybe? :D

Currently, I'm only watching (really watching that is not just for something on) EUReKA and Sanctuary. WH 13 and Haven just because. Nothing else.

I'm not sure I'm interested enough in WH 13 for a spinoff.

I would hope they'd do a spinoff of EUReKA that is half as wonderful as the original is. Not sure what it might be about though.

SaberBlade
August 5th, 2011, 10:29 PM
This is how I see it;

Season 3: 18 episodes, 10 month gap between airing episodes 8 and 9. What should have taken 5-6 months (including holidays when new episodes don't air) to broadcast now becomes 14 months.

Season 4: 20 episodes. Christmas episode broke a 10 month gap between episodes into a 3 month break, then Christmas episode airs, followed by 7 month break. So basically same situation as season 3. Should have taken about 6-7 months to air (including extra time because of more episodes) but takes 14 months.

Then we have;

Season 5: 13 episodes
Season 6: 6 episodes

Given past history, this makes sense. Rather than filming what should be a full season five of 19 episodes and sticking in another 10 month gap (god knows why they do it), they can film both seasons/all 19 episodes back to back. Any gap would be overlooked because the season has ended and they can still get their huge gap between episodes. Stargate had the opportunity to at least film midseason two parters but Eureka has been disappointing in this regard because it's never had that chance. Syfy just takes it off the air.

Unfortunately I can see it turning out as Season 5.1 will be 6 episodes, they'll throw in a large gap, 5.2 will be the remaining 7 episodes, followed by another huge gap, then season 6. As a result, Syfy just ordered the two shorter seasons as an excuse to throw in a second break.

maxbo
August 6th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I agree - I think the alternate timeline's been good for all the characters involved - not that it's been easy, but I think they're all in a better place than they were in the other timeline. I would hate to see it reset again. Jack's the only one who would be in about the same place in either timeline. Henry would lose Grace (and seriously, hasn't the man suffered enough?), Jo would lose her job and have to go back to being Jack's deputy, Fargo would lose his job, Allison would get her job back but Kevin would have autism again. And I'm not sure how excited she ever was about being head of GD. And I'll be the first to admit that I was highly skeptical about making Fargo director, but they've made it work.

Exactly. When I compare where the characters were in the original timeline to where they are in the current timeline, it's no contest for me. As you mentioned, except for Jack, they're all in more interesting places now. In addition to all the things you mentioned, Jo getting her job back would likely mean less of Deputy Andy and I would hate that because Kavan Smith has been rocking that role.

This timeline freshened the show for me by shaking things up in interesting ways. For instance, Fargo as head of GD seemed like such a silly idea that i was sure it would only be temporary - but it works. Now, I can't imagine his not having that position. I also really enjoy Jo and Zane now where before they were just there for me. The writers seem to be using this timeline to address some of the problems with that relationship in the original timeline and that's a smart move.

And, it's good to see Kevin fully interact with everyone. Some of my favorite new timeline scenes were Allison's absolute giddiness in realizing that she could now really talk to Kevin. In the original timeline, it's possible that Henry could get together with Grace, but for all we know, she could be in a serious relationship and I wouldn't want to see Henry go through the pain of that.

Everlovin
August 6th, 2011, 10:27 AM
This is how I see it;

Season 3: 18 episodes, 10 month gap between airing episodes 8 and 9. What should have taken 5-6 months (including holidays when new episodes don't air) to broadcast now becomes 14 months.

Season 4: 20 episodes. Christmas episode broke a 10 month gap between episodes into a 3 month break, then Christmas episode airs, followed by 7 month break. So basically same situation as season 3. Should have taken about 6-7 months to air (including extra time because of more episodes) but takes 14 months.

Then we have;

Season 5: 13 episodes
Season 6: 6 episodes

Given past history, this makes sense. Rather than filming what should be a full season five of 19 episodes and sticking in another 10 month gap (god knows why they do it), they can film both seasons/all 19 episodes back to back. Any gap would be overlooked because the season has ended and they can still get their huge gap between episodes. Stargate had the opportunity to at least film midseason two parters but Eureka has been disappointing in this regard because it's never had that chance. Syfy just takes it off the air.

Unfortunately I can see it turning out as Season 5.1 will be 6 episodes, they'll throw in a large gap, 5.2 will be the remaining 7 episodes, followed by another huge gap, then season 6. As a result, Syfy just ordered the two shorter seasons as an excuse to throw in a second break.

I suspect with the broken seasons 3.0, 3.5; 4.0, 4.5; etc is a money thing. Colin alluded to it back during the S3 hiatus that if the network breaks up the seasons like they are doing, they don't have to renegotiate contracts with the actors every year. It's every other year.

Which sucks! But that's what I think is going on.

Skydiver
August 6th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I'm thinking more

You have season 5, we'll guarantee you 6 minimum for season six, let's see what the ratings are for the end of 4/beginning of 5 and we'll reassess then

as to the 13 episode thing....sanctuary only got 13 and I think it has more to do with 13 episodes being 1/4th of a year, thus 4 series with 13 episodes = 1 year's worth of uninterrupted first run programs

it's easier for them to program 13 episodes a season with 52 weeks a year than 20 episodes a season, leaving them (with two series) 12 extra weeks with nothing to air

Briangate78
August 8th, 2011, 07:02 AM
If Season 5 or 6 turns out to be the end, then I hope it's because the cast and writers are ready to move on. In any event, it's good that it'll have enough advance notice to go out on its own terms.

I think they might want to launch a new series, like a spin-off. They are looking to cash in on the success Eureka has been for the network. You know sell high, buy low, lol.

DigiFluid
August 8th, 2011, 08:11 AM
I'm thinking there may also be a back half pickup or two. Eureka will be fairly close to the magic 100 episodes for syndication with 13 in S5 and 6 in S6, so a few more episodes would round it out pretty well.

Briangate78
August 8th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I'm thinking there may also be a back half pickup or two. Eureka will be fairly close to the magic 100 episodes for syndication with 13 in S5 and 6 in S6, so a few more episodes would round it out pretty well.

That sounds about right, plus I don't know how a show pulling in over 2 Million viewers still would be anywhere near their chopping block. Mark Stern did say they are hopeful that it will not be the end of the "Franchise" which immediately makes you think "spin off".

MattSilver 3k
August 8th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Boom (http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/08/eureka-syfy-cancels-season-six-and-show.html). No season six. Show cancelled at the end of five. No clue why.

Briangate78
August 8th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Boom (http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/08/eureka-syfy-cancels-season-six-and-show.html). No season six. Show cancelled at the end of five. No clue why.

I'm waiting for official word from Syfy.com, but it is not looking good.

AnnieS
August 8th, 2011, 10:00 PM
It isn't. The offical word is Eureka's fifth season will be it's last. The sixth is not happening. Like usual I find out on Twitter!!!

rosey_angel
August 8th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Twitter also thought the news of the re-up a few days ago meant that it was being cancelled, so like Briangate78 I'm waiting for Syfy to confirm or deny

Skydiver
August 9th, 2011, 05:33 PM
i'm gonna shut this thread since we have another one about the cancellation