Getting back into Star Wars novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back into Star Wars novels

During the 1990s when I was a teenager, I got into Star Wars in a massive way and really enjoyed reading the adult novels that began to release around that time. At the end of the decade, I felt I had outgrown it a bit so gave up. I ended up selling all my books.

Recently, though, I've felt the desire to get back into them again. The novels were all released on Kindle last month, so I figured I might go down that route but as it turns out they are not available here in the UK, so instead I've been started picking up a few of them cheap off eBay/charity shops.

My question is, where do I start? As a teenager I read pretty much all the New Republic-era stuff, and gave up when New Jedi Order began. Since then there have been a lot of releases based on the prequel eras, and stuff set much, much later than the original movies. I'm happy to read all the books I read as a teenager again, since some of them were brilliant.

I thought about doing a complete chronological readthrough, but that has some drawbacks. From what I can see, some of the novels require some knowledge of events that happen later, or are written as prequels. Another option is to do a readthrough in order that the books were published, which would make sense in that each subsequent novel would build upon events and characters laid down in previous ones. The only downside is I would be jumping around in time a lot.

Any advice? Thanks.
    Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

I periodically start doing it chronologically (but often stall out due to the sheer volume of material available). I don't think there's anything wrong with that approach--when you get to later material upon which said "prequels" were based, you'll appreciate the story tie-ins anyway.

Alternatively, I suppose you could just pick an era and charge through that. Or if you have a particular favourite author, read their stuff.

There's always comics too, some of them (particularly the Tales of the Jedi and Knights of the Old Republic ones) are just fantastic.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      I suppose you could just pick an era and charge through that.
      This is one option I'm thinking of too. The prequel era would be completely new to me, and there's quite a bit already out there. I'm not into comics or graphic novels, so I'll be skipping them I'm afraid.

Comment

I remember diving into New Jedi Order thinking that it would be a fantastic, massive arc to really sink my teeth into only to run out of gas half way through because, as much as I was trying to force myself to, I just didn't enjoy the story.

I like the old, OLD stuff, KOTOR era for example.

One trilogy I think you'll really enjoy is the Darth Bane trilogy, Path of Destruction, Rule of Two and Dynasty of Evil. Three really enjoyable books that will ease you back into the SW novels pretty painlessly.
        sigpic

Comment

I'll also cast a vote for the Darth Bane trilogy, I quite enjoyed them too when I read them a year or two ago. They're set right on the dividing line of the "Old Republic" and "Rise of the Empire" eras (1003 BBY - 980 BBY if I remember right). They're standalone, so they're not really related to any other stories of the EU, but do a lovely job of being in-universe and providing background on a number of things in both the films and the EU.

And I'll say it again: comics! I know they aren't everyone's cup of tea, but some of them (like TotJ and KOTOR I mentioned) tell better stories than some of the novels!
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Plain and simple: I can't read comics! I don't know what it is about them, but the layouts just do not coincide with the natural flow of my brain, and I struggle so hard to follow them. Plus, I don't like typical comic book style art, I just find it ugly. I'm a big Mass Effect fan, and when I saw there were some comics to fill in story between the games I gave them a go but it got to the point where I had no idea what was going on - the format just doesn't work for me.

The written word is very powerful for me, so it's always been books.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut975 View Post
              One trilogy I think you'll really enjoy is the Darth Bane trilogy, Path of Destruction, Rule of Two and Dynasty of Evil. Three really enjoyable books that will ease you back into the SW novels pretty painlessly.
              This was going to be my jump-in point originally. Drew Karpyshyn wrote them, and I read his Mass Effect novels. He's not the greatest of writers, but his stories are at least fun.

Comment

I really like the Darth Bane and Republic Commando novels. Of course the X-wing novels are very good as well.
                I tell you Teal'c, hockey is the coolest game on Earth!

Did you not say it is played on ice, O'Neill?

Comment

MY advice would be Old Republic era, or New JEdi Order Era.

New Jedi Order series can be a little difficult sometimes, but the series after that are amazing. You just gotta get through NJO to really understand whats going on.
                  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
                  ---
                  sigpic

Comment

Back when it came out, the fist New Jedi Order novel Vector Prime was what caused me to give up on Star Wars. Surely there must be some high points amongst that series, though?

I think I've pretty much settled on starting with the Darth Bane novels then jumping to Cloak of Deception and continuing mostly chronologically from there. It will be really interesting to reach the New Republic era and read those novels again with a new perspective, given that I was probably 14-19 years old when I last read them and now I'm 30!

Comment

I got just over half way through the New Jedi Order series, might continue after my exams are done. I really like the Yuuzhan Vong as bad guys, stopped reading the books just at a turning point in the war. What was happening again ? Oh yeah, damn that was good actually. Anyways, as much as I liked them, I was dying to get through them to get onto Legacy of the Force, kept reading the blurbs in book shops, ruining key bits, but they sounded so good. Has anyone read them ? Or even Fate of the Jedi ? So many books so little time !
                      sigpic
                      What a show !

Comment

Working...
                      X