Kowalski and Goa'uld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kowalski and Goa'uld

In watching SG-1 I have seen many cases of Jaffa bring killed, yet their goa'ulds don't jump out to anyone else in close proximity as happened in the case of Kowalski, including where O'Neill shot Skaara where Korel didn't jump out at O'Neill. In addition why did Kowalski remain controlled by the goa'uld even after it was removed, and then a small piece fell out of him when Teal'c killed him. Did goa'ulds have a way of cutting off a minute part ito remain n the event they were being removed?
    Did goa'ulds have a way of interacting with other species and communicating intelligently when they were still outside swimming around??

Dave

When killing a Jaffa, the general idea is to shoot the gut. Jaffa do it, SG1 has done plenty of times and it works out well as it kills the host and damages (if not kills) the symbiont.

Problem with Kowalsky, was the symbiont who took over him came from a Jaffa who had his neck broken. This would have given the symbiont a few minutes of opportunity to jump hosts and it was just lucky that Kowalsky was bending over at that minute to help someone out.

As for what was removed, it was basically a skin. Crabs are able to do it for example, shed their skin and leave what looks like a another crab in it's place. it seems the Goa'uld are also able to do this in a much more serious way way than just shedding of skin (like a snake).

As for interacting with others, no. In season 3 I think, when they found the Goa'uld homeworld, they still wanted to take hosts.

sigpic

Comment

I believe they also said that Kawalsky's symbiote was still an infant/immature, but it's possible that it was nearing maturity and figured he might as well try to take a host instead of dying with the Jaffa. As we've seen with Shan'auc in Crossroads (4x04), a mature Goa'uld will actively try to leave the Jaffa's pouch to take a host.
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

We also saw in "The First Ones" just how far a symbiote will jump in order to attempt to take a host. In that one, they jumped right out of the lake they were in when they sense a potential host (Teal'c) on the shore of the lake; as well as when Daniel was at the lake bending down to get a drink of water (and Daniel was saved by an unas in that one).

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          We also saw in "The First Ones" just how far a symbiote will jump in order to attempt to take a host. In that one, they jumped right out of the lake they were in when they sense a potential host (Teal'c) on the shore of the lake.
          Now that you mention it, that actually doesn't make any sense since a Jaffa isn't supposed to be able to host a Goa'uld when still carrying a prim'ta/symbiote in their pouch.
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
            Now that you mention it, that actually doesn't make any sense since a Jaffa isn't supposed to be able to host a Goa'uld when still carrying a prim'ta/symbiote in their pouch.
            I hadn't thought about that. But you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
              When killing a Jaffa, the general idea is to shoot the gut. Jaffa do it, SG1 has done plenty of times and it works out well as it kills the host and damages (if not kills) the symbiont.

Problem with Kowalsky, was the symbiont who took over him came from a Jaffa who had his neck broken. This would have given the symbiont a few minutes of opportunity to jump hosts and it was just lucky that Kowalsky was bending over at that minute to help someone out.

As for what was removed, it was basically a skin. Crabs are able to do it for example, shed their skin and leave what looks like a another crab in it's place. it seems the Goa'uld are also able to do this in a much more serious way way than just shedding of skin (like a snake).

As for interacting with others, no. In season 3 I think, when they found the Goa'uld homeworld, they still wanted to take hosts.
              However, when the goa'uld was surgically removed from Kowalski it wasn't just a skin, but a whole creature, apparently dead. And when Kowalski finally died at the hands of Teal'c a little, not large, creature fell out of Kowalski.
              When Ashrak was trying to kill Jolinar how was it that Samantha survived (aside from the fact that she was needed for the series)?? Pretty neat the way Ashrak vomited out his hand device weapon.
              Speaking of weapons, it was also pretty neat the way the Goa'uld weapon came in handy in the episode 1969.
              Too bad Michael and Jenny couldn't go back with them. They were nice kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                When Ashrak was trying to kill Jolinar how was it that Samantha survived (aside from the fact that she was needed for the series)?? Pretty neat the way Ashrak vomited out his hand device weapon.
                Jolinar sacrificed herself to save Sam. Both were fatally wounded but Jolinar gave up on herself and just dedicated her healing powers to keeping Sam alive, eventually resulting in blending with the host.
                sigpic

Comment

Is "blending" the correct metaphor or perhaps being eventually excreted??!

Comment

Actually, "blending" is the term for what happens when a Tok'ra symbiote joins with a willing host to share their lives together. Jolinar didn't blend with Carter, and after Jolinar sacrificed herself to save Carter, Jolinar's body was absorbed into Carter's tissues.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                    Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                    sigpic
                    now also appearing on DeviantArt
                    Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                      Actually, "blending" is the term for what happens when a Tok'ra symbiote joins with a willing host to share their lives together. Jolinar didn't blend with Carter, and after Jolinar sacrificed herself to save Carter, Jolinar's body was absorbed into Carter's tissues.
                      Was a major goa'uld person such as a Lord or Pharoah successfully separated from his goa'uld??

Comment

I'm not sure I agree with the not-blending part. After all, Jolinar dug around Sam's brain to find information etc and Carter ended up with Jolinar's memories and some of her feelings (for Martouf/Lantash). If that hadn't happened, I'd probably agree with you but if that isn't part of blending, then what is? Just the peaceful co-existing of a host and symbiote? Because I thought it was also called blending for Goa'uld and they don't really share, just take what they want and suppress/torture the host.

Was a major goa'uld person such as a Lord or Pharoah successfully separated from his goa'uld??
                        Ba'al has been successfully extracted from his host.
                        Last edited by fems; 26 July 2011, 06:56 AM.
                        On FFnet or AO3

Comment

Qe'tesh and Vala
                          no means no, and so does pepper spray
                          Sig by The Carpenter
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                            I'm not sure I agree with the not-blending part. After all, Jolinar dug around Sam's brain to find information etc and Carter ended up with Jolinar's memories and some of her feelings (for Martouf/Lantash).
                            But Carter wasn't a willing participant. "Blending" is generally used in canon for a VOLUNTARY union between host and symbiote, and no matter how much Jolinar "dug around" in Sam's mind, that still doesn't change the fact that Sam didn't volunteer to be Jolinar's host. Also, the question I was answering was referring to "blending" the absorption of a symbiote corpse, and "blending" is not the correct term for that, since it only applies to a living symbiote.

If that hadn't happened, I'd probably agree with you but if that isn't part of blending, then what is? Just the peaceful co-existing of a host and symbiote? Because I thought it was also called blending for Goa'uld and they don't really share, just take what they want and suppress/torture the host.
                            For Goa'uld it isn't blending, it's simply taking a host. It has also been referred to as "possession".

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                            sigpic
                            now also appearing on DeviantArt
                            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

But Carter wasn't a willing participant. "Blending" is generally used in canon for a VOLUNTARY union between host and symbiote, and no matter how much Jolinar "dug around" in Sam's mind, that still doesn't change the fact that Sam didn't volunteer to be Jolinar's host. Also, the question I was answering was referring to "blending" the absorption of a symbiote corpse, and "blending" is not the correct term for that, since it only applies to a living symbiote.

For Goa'uld it isn't blending, it's simply taking a host. It has also been referred to as "possession".
                              And the goa'ulds have an inherent dissatisfaction about existing alone, and therefore it is part of their nature to want to find a host?
                              But isn't it only a portion of the goa'ulds who end up with a host, whereas most spend their entire lives just swimming around not able to make use of their sentient capabilities??

Comment

Working...
                              X