PDA

View Full Version : SFX magazines top 100 sci-fi icons of the 21st century

mparsons1981
July 23rd, 2011, 08:05 AM
Some news on how stargate did in SFX (Sci-Fi and Fantasy) magazines top 100 sci-fi icons of the 21st century poll as voted for by readers. Its a UK based magazine, so lots of Dr Who.

Stargate got 3% of the top 100, as follows,

99th Place - Dr Nicholas Rush
95th Place - Jack O'Neil - I was, like many of you i guess a bit surprised and dissappointed by this.
63rd Place - Dr Daniel Jackson

You may be interested to know that the top 5 were as follows

5. Spike (Buffy/Angel)
4. Buffy Summers (Buffy/Angel)
3. Captain Jack Harkness (Dr Who, Torchwood)
2. The Doctor (Dr Who)
1. Captain Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly, Serenity)

As i said its a UK magazine, so there was obviously a greater focus on uk shows, but i think it shows how great Buffy was that Spike and Buffy are still so high,

Dr Who/Torchwood has 12 characters in the top 100, Marvel Comics 6, Harry Potter 5, Star Trek 5, and then there quite a few on 4, until you get to the 3's where Stargate was to be found.

My top 5?

5. Kara Thrace
4. Jack O'Neil
3. Jean Luc Picard
2. Daniel Jackson
1. Buffy Summers

webxro
July 23rd, 2011, 09:16 AM
The first it should be the doctor , and the second Dark Vader , but the rest i don't know , still for UK i am not surprised.

discodiva
July 23rd, 2011, 09:18 AM
Congrats to Dr Jackson ...:daniel:

Deeds xx

TuKwick_1
July 23rd, 2011, 09:35 AM
Ehhh.....

Jae'a
July 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Haa, Daniel was higher than Jack! :D :D :D

Ripley2012
July 23rd, 2011, 12:10 PM
BOOO, only 1 out of first five a woman? booooo.

lordofseas
July 23rd, 2011, 10:17 PM
Harry Potter shouldn't be on that list. It is not sci-fi. It is pure lower-fantasy.

Frostfox
July 24th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Mmm, Captain Tightpants. Shiny.
Sorry, distracted there for a moment.

Either The Doctor, the Tardis, The Enterprise or just possibly Darth Vader would be my choice for top sci-fi icons.
Though I would have voted for the Dalek's, my favourites, since the early '70's. I used to take a plastic Dalek to bed with me, as other kids would take a teddy bear.

Harry Potter is clearly fantasy, not SF, any mechanical items were magic powered. Ditto Supernatural. Buffy just about scrapes through as having the occasional SF flash; Buffybot was an SF concept, not a magical one.

Mm, Captain Jack... and I don't even watch Torchwood. Pretty.

FF :nox:

Starfist
July 24th, 2011, 03:52 AM
As SFX is a Sci-Fi and Fantasy magazine. There is bound to be some crossover of the genres.
So that is why there are some Harry Potter actors/icons on the list.