Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadians! Space is giving us BOTH versions- UK and USA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadians! Space is giving us BOTH versions- UK and USA!

http://www.spacecast.com/article/The...Day-Approaches

Linky above from Space's website.

Saturday show is UK version. Tuesday show is USA version.

How AWESOME is that?
    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
    http://www.spacecast.com/article/The...Day-Approaches

Linky above from Space's website.

Saturday show is UK version. Tuesday show is USA version.

How AWESOME is that?
    There are two version?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
      There are two version?
      That's what I was wondering. I'd suspect Starz of being able to air a more.... .... ... I can't think of the word I want. Basically able to show it without cutting it into pieces by removing anything slightly naughty or objectionable, compared to a regular US channel. I'm very curious to see who cut or censored it the most as I'd be more interested in seeing the longer version.

If someone is able to watch it on Space tonight and compare it to the US version, I wouldn't expect a list of differences but would be nice to find out which is the better of the two.

sigpic

Comment

Yes there are two versions. Alan posted about it a few days back in the News thread. Copy/pasting him:

Last week, Doctor Who Magazine editor Tom Spilsbury commented on Twitter that there would be slightly different versions of Miracle Day for the US and UK broadcast, adding yesterday that "they haven't started with one 'master version' and cut it for the UK. They've prepared two parallel edits for different markets." Russell T Davies had previously mentioned in his interview with Front Row that Jack is a 'childrens hero', and clarifies in the new Issue 436 of DWM that 'racier' scenes might be edited for a BBC audience.

Attendees at last week's BFI preview had reported that The New World seemed longer than the fifty minutes originally reported in the Cannes press release; this is also confirmed in DWM, with UK episodes expected to run for some 54 minutes whereas episodes on Starz would run for 50-51 minutes. Davies pointed out that this isn't a cut to the US version, but extra material added to the UK one!

Link to original article here: http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/06...new-world.html

Completely moronic, IMO.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I wanted to be a smug git about the UK getting 3-4 extra minutes, but then I remembered that Canada is also getting those 3-4 minutes. Damn Canadians.

Seriously though, it does interest me in why the different. I'm thinking that despite Starz being a premium channel, that if it works anything like similar channels in the UK, it still needs to fill in time between the end of one show, and the beginning of another with some of advertisements. The US version may have been specifically cut to a 50 minute format to fit into a predetermined timeslot as not to cut down on commercials. The BBC isn't like that (it doesn't air any commercials, just advertisements for it's own content) so it has been able to be cut longer.

I can just see the US DVD/Blu-rays though. Torchwood: Miracle Day - Extended Edition. Bonus Features include paying extra for footage that the UK and Canada has already seen.

sigpic

Comment

The irony is that Starz may show stuff to objectionable for BBC while all previous seasons of Torchwood had language that would never be allowed on normal cable television.

I'll be interested to hear a comparison review when someone has the time.
            sigpic

Comment

Interesting. I noticed that after the episode aired here in the US there was a commercial on about webisodes. So, I guess that's how we'll get the extra information.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm recording the USA version on Tuesday. The UK version timeslot gives about 5 minutes longer. So I'm not sure if I'll notice what is different, but I'm curious!
                Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Interesting. I noticed that after the episode aired here in the US there was a commercial on about webisodes. So, I guess that's how we'll get the extra information.
                  "Torchwood: Web of Lies"? No, that's something completely different.
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Since when was Torchwood a children's show? It has always been a more mature show. I don't know what in it could be more objectionable to what may have been in the show previously.
                    sigpic
                    http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                    http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                      Since when was Torchwood a children's show? It has always been a more mature show. I don't know what in it could be more objectionable to what may have been in the show previously.
                      Anyone have a link to the extra scenes? I'd like to see them.
                      sigpic

Comment

I watched the episode on SPACE last Saturday and it was longer than 1 hour. I missed the Tuesday episode.
                        Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                          I watched the episode on SPACE last Saturday and it was longer than 1 hour. I missed the Tuesday episode.
                          I wonder if there is a way to see those episodes in the states?

*edit* tried going to SPACE's wedsite and clicked on "watch full episode" but it wouldn't play.
                          sigpic

Comment

I wonder if there is a way to see those episodes in the states?

*edit* tried going to SPACE's wedsite and clicked on "watch full episode" but it wouldn't play.
                            Well you could always try using a program which uses a proxy to fake your location. It's not a problem finding a program that uses a US proxy (I've used one to watch Hulu), a Canadian proxy might be an issue though so may be easier to use other methods.

The show starts in the UK tonight. Like always, I'll avoid it on TV and watch it online (BBC iPlayer) as that way I can at least contribute to the shows online ratings since I'm not in one of the 5,000 homes used to measure ratings. I'll look forward to finding out what stuff was removed from the US version.

sigpic

Comment

UK version aired tonight, was there much of a difference?

I guess this question is mostly directed at those who downloaded the US version out of impatience

Comment

Working...
                              X