• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renditions (402)

Visit the Episode GuideTORCHWOOD: MIRACLE DAY
    RENDITIONS
    EPISODE NUMBER - 402

While Agent Matheson extradites Jack and Gwen to the United States on board a passenger plane, forces within the CIA work to undermine his efforts. Oswald Danes goes on television to improve his public image, and Esther makes a run for it after being targeted by her employer.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 21 July 2011, 01:34 PM.

It's two for two. Another fabulous episode that used its premise well. I liked the tension surrounding immortality/mortality and ethics and appreciated that the plot depends on character intelligence rather than effects or nudity.

I'm pleasantly surprised thus far.
    "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Did anyone catch the character names for either Dichen Lachman or Wayne Knight?

Anywho another terrific episode!
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

That was so epic. "Welcome to Torchwood."

Oh, and PR Chick I like. Such an unassuming crazy lady (hot too, and Alexa Havins! I approve).

Bill Pullman is classically creepy-awesome.

Oh, and morphic fields?! I love morphic field theory, though the monkey rock = knife theory's a very simple way to explain it (I prefer the one about the whole element changing in one place and then at another at the same time - something to do with nitroglycerine).
        Last edited by MattSilver 3k; 16 July 2011, 01:57 AM.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Another excellent episode. When I it ended...I was like...wait! Its over already? The time just flew by.
          sigpic

Comment

Oh Gwen, you are seriously vying for my imaginary BFF spot (River currently holds it).

Really liked this ep. I watch quite a bit of American action/drama stuff so I think I'm pretty forgiving of the Americanisation of Torchwood but I do understand why some folks don't appreciate it. That said, the characterisation is good. Rex is developing nicely, Esther is less blah than last week, the PR chick is freaking weird and Doctor Woman is just great.

But for me, the biggest thing is that this seems to be a whole lot less the Jack show and whole lot more the Gwen show. She is seriously carrying it in countless ways and I love that. Really, really love it. Her character has grown so much since her introduction, she's learned to be what she is because she's just had to, she's been to hell and back so many times, seen so much crap and grown from every event she's faced and has become the woman we see here. No retconning, no sudden morphing into something she's not, but beautifully portrayed growth over several seasons. If for no other reason, I'm enjoying watching her ride through this adventure.

And Eve Myles is the ant's pants.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
              Oh Gwen, you are seriously vying for my imaginary BFF spot (River currently holds it).

Really liked this ep. I watch quite a bit of American action/drama stuff so I think I'm pretty forgiving of the Americanization of Torchwood but I do understand why some folks don't appreciate it. That said, the characterization is good. Rex is developing nicely, Esther is less blah than last week, the PR chick is freaking weird and Doctor Woman is just great.

But for me, the biggest thing is that this seems to be a whole lot less the Jack show and whole lot more the Gwen show. She is seriously carrying it in countless ways and I love that. Really, really love it. Her character has grown so much since her introduction, she's learned to be what she is because she's just had to, she's been to hell and back so many times, seen so much crap and grown from every event she's faced and has become the woman we see here. No retconning, no sudden morphing into something she's not, but beautifully portrayed growth over several seasons. If for no other reason, I'm enjoying watching her ride through this adventure.

And Eve Myles is the ant's pants.
              Maybe she's the bee's knees!
              sigpic

Comment

Really liked this ep. I watch quite a bit of American action/drama stuff so I think I'm pretty forgiving of the Americanisation of Torchwood but I do understand why some folks don't appreciate it.
                Not to you in particular as I've seen this on another board (even saw some trying to apply it to DW back when they came to the US this season), but I for one don't really understand this. I am American but just a few months ago I watched the first 3 TW series, and I don't quite get how this is any different from the first 3 seasons (aside from references Americans get like the New Jersey comment in the first ep and them actually filming in the US rather than Wales).

I'm fairly certain I didn't imagine action in those other seasons of TW. Yes they had more money this go around so they could afford the helicopter beach chase, but it's still within the spirit of the show, imo. *Thinks back to CoE when they freed Jack from the concrete prison.*

Anyway another enjoyable ep. I'm certainly interested in the why and how this is happening. The implications of people not dying is interesting, but I'm much more into the mystery...and whether or not it's connected to Jack, as I think it is.

When Rex snapped assassin girl's neck I was like geez they killed her off already (since recognized her from Dollhouse) until she opened her eyes and I remembered people don't die. D'oh! Loved Gwen's reaction to the Mini and it not being an SUV.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                  Another excellent episode. When I it ended...I was like...wait! Its over already? The time just flew by.
                  I felt the same.

I've never watched Torchwood before, but I have to say after the first two episodes of Miracle Day I am hooked! The pacing of the story, the concept of no one dying and the effect on the world is handled intriguingly here. I'm dying to know what's behind it all.

So good to see a well written and riveting show, filled with good characters! I've wondered what would get my attention after SGU finished, and this certainly has!!!

Bill Pullman is great, haven't seen him in anything for a while now. He's got a bit of the 'Hannibal Lecter' vibe going on there!!

I had to chuckle at the bit on the plane where Rex was searching for the drug used to poison Jack, the American woman called it a handbag, which is the Brit word for a purse! It was funny as I've had to stop saying handbag since I moved from the UK, as it's called a purse in N.America!!!
                  Last edited by Krisz; 16 July 2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                    Not to you in particular as I've seen this on another board (even saw some trying to apply it to DW back when they came to the US this season), but I for one don't really understand this. I am American but just a few months ago I watched the first 3 TW series, and I don't quite get how this is any different from the first 3 seasons (aside from references Americans get like the New Jersey comment in the first ep and them actually filming in the US rather than Wales).

I'm fairly certain I didn't imagine action in those other seasons of TW. Yes they had more money this go around so they could afford the helicopter beach chase, but it's still within the spirit of the show, imo. *Thinks back to CoE when they freed Jack from the concrete prison.*

Anyway another enjoyable ep. I'm certainly interested in the why and how this is happening. The implications of people not dying is interesting, but I'm much more into the mystery...and whether or not it's connected to Jack, as I think it is.

When Rex snapped assassin girl's neck I was like geez they killed her off already (since recognized her from Dollhouse) until she opened her eyes and I remembered people don't die. D'oh! Loved Gwen's reaction to the Mini and it not being an SUV.
                    I know what you mean...I don't get what they mean by "Americanization." It feels the same to me as the first three seasons.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                      Maybe she's the bee's knees!
                      The banana's pyjamas.

It's not any one thing in particular, it just feels (to me) more like an American show than a British one. Perhaps I'm imagining things. Perhaps it's just expectation that it's more American because of the co-production thing and that's colouring my view. There has always been plenty of action in TW and there is still plenty of comedy, but it just feels differently done now. *shrugs* I don't think I'm alone and it doesn't mean I think any less of the show.
                      sigpic

Comment

You know what kinda sets this apart from our old Torchwood? The fact there's no aliens yet. I mean, this could actually be a science fiction show without aliens - morphic fields causing everyone on earth to stop dying et cetera. The bad guys are American government agents with guns that get destroyed with guns. No strange alien-ness, no whacky devices or weapons or anything old school Torchwood-y yet. I mean, by two episodes in Children of Earth, we knew there were aliens and there was alien technology and blah blah despite the government conspiracy plot - Miracle Day, thus far, might feel strange because it's all human vs human with worldly human issues. Honestly, this could be a season of a more sci-fi 24 rather than Torchwood.

Now I'm not saying the aliens won't come, or the whacky sex or anything, but I do like Miracle Day so don't think I'm critiquing it, but if you think it feels odd, that's probably why.
                        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

The banana's pyjamas.

It's not any one thing in particular, it just feels (to me) more like an American show than a British one. Perhaps I'm imagining things. Perhaps it's just expectation that it's more American because of the co-production thing and that's colouring my view. There has always been plenty of action in TW and there is still plenty of comedy, but it just feels differently done now. *shrugs* I don't think I'm alone and it doesn't mean I think any less of the show.
                          I don't know...Like I said...I watched the previous seasons of the show and really enjoyed them. I don't really see anything any different...and it could just all be a matter of perspective.
                          sigpic

Comment

The banana's pyjamas.

You're not alone with this, I also thought it is more American. I can't put my finger on a special part, and for me it got better during the ep. When they start mixing all these chemicals together to save Jack and at the end the woman with her head on the back it felt more like TW!

And btw, I really enjoyed it and can't wait untill next week!

Oh, and after Jack obviously can die, doesn't he count as an alien anymore?
                            sigpic

Comment

The biggest difference I see, the 'old' torchwood was more episodic with little bits of an overall arc in each episode. This, so far, is totally arc based.

Not bad, not good. Just different. I'm just watching it thinking 'ok, so.....story gonna get going anytime soon? or are we gonna keep setting things up?'
                              Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X