Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it just me, or was Crichton a little too mean to Harvey? May contain spoilers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it just me, or was Crichton a little too mean to Harvey? May contain spoilers

I'm a relative newcomer to Farscape, having just watched the series and mini-series over the last three months. One of my major peeves is John's relationship with Harvey, or rather the lack thereof. While Harvey seems genuinely enamored with John's memories and the human pov towards the end of the series and miniseries, I felt John was really a jerk about a lot of things and scenes wherein Harvey seemed genuine and was attempting to explain himself (PKW, final scene), Crichton just seemed cold, distant, and just in a default mode of "I don't care". I feel this was a missed opportunity on the part of the writers, and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same.

Well, after all that Scorpius did to John, I really don't see why he would be nice to a neural clone of him. It was nice to see Harvey grow and be a bit different than Scorpius though. I actually kind of felt sorry for him in the end, but can understand the character's POV. Just imagine if you had your enemy stuck in your head messing with you all the time.
    sigpic

Comment

I definitely don't blame Crichton one bit for resenting Harvey. That's an interesting take on the Scorpius character, but I really can't expect John to love him. Not after the way Scorpius messed with his head.
      sigpic

Comment

He is a bit mean to Harvey at times but yeah... it's a Scorpy clone squatting in his head and contributing to his continuing mental decline. So, much as I love Harvey (and Scorpy) I think he's well within his rights
        "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Scorpius chased him around the galaxy to cut up his brain for the wormhole knowledge. He then implanted John with a neuroclone that drove him insane. Not even mentioning the countless hardships this caused, I don't see any reason for him to be nice to Harvey.
          sigpic

Comment

While I loved the character of Harvey, I don't think Crichton was harsh at all to him. John had every right to be mean to the thing that had taken up residence in his mind.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Looking at the responses it seems the will of the people is clear.. John was in the right and as for Harvey - get back in the dumpster!
              "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Originally posted by Huaracocha View Post
                Looking at the responses it seems the will of the people is clear.. John was in the right and as for Harvey - get back in the dumpster!
                Indeed!
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I suppose it is just me. The part that really got me thinking about it was Harvey's last scene in the Peacekeeper Wars. Watching it a second or third time, I kind of realize that they couldn't have had John say anything due to his condition at the time, but given the lack of a good, solid farewell between Crichton and Scorpius, I was hoping for more of a realization on Crichton's part that Harvey had kind of become his own person and genuinely considered Crichton a friend. A simple "You got me out of a lot, yes, now get the frell out of my head" would have even sufficed. Instead, Crichton says nothing and I just felt kind of robbed that the entire situation and evolution of both Harvey and Scorpius don't get their proper resolutions. Alas, another thing they could have done much more justice had the show gotten the fifth season.

Comment

Originally posted by DrNicholasRush View Post
                    I'm a relative newcomer to Farscape, having just watched the series and mini-series over the last three months. One of my major peeves is John's relationship with Harvey, or rather the lack thereof. While Harvey seems genuinely enamored with John's memories and the human pov towards the end of the series and miniseries, I felt John was really a jerk about a lot of things and scenes wherein Harvey seemed genuine and was attempting to explain himself (PKW, final scene), Crichton just seemed cold, distant, and just in a default mode of "I don't care". I feel this was a missed opportunity on the part of the writers, and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same.
                    Have to disagree with you on this one. I can completely empathize with John on this one.
                    - The Truth is Out There!

Comment

I don't think John needed to be nice to Harvey. No matter what Harvey said he was "Scorpy." (gotta love John's nick name for Scorpious, make him sounds like a pet, hmm have an idea for another Farscape fanfic, lol, never mind, back on topic).

I considered Harvey's friendliness to be a ploy in order to gain control of John's mind and access to the worm hole information that the ancients gave him. Everything Harvey did to John in his mind was for his own benefit and not of benefit to John's mental state/well being. Let's face it Harvey was in there for his own mind games to John, and even tried to get John to tap into his dark side (if he had one, although everyone in farscape has a dark side, even our hero).

He was there to drive John insane with the neron chip, and that worked! So anything Scorpy/Harvey did was completly irrelevant to John.

So no, I don't see John as being cruel to Harvey at all. He just wanted his own mind back!
                      sigpic

Comment

I understand that John's mind turned Harvey into a far different character than Scorpius(I kept wishing for an ep where the Season 4-era Harvey meets Scorpius), but at the core, he was still Scorpius, the guy who fried his head in Season 1, hunted him across the universe, implanted him with a neurochip that caused him to go nuts, then removed the chip, killed Aeryn, and LEFT THE CLONE IN. He was mean sometimes yes but he has every right to be.
                        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                        X