2268-1,002,262

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2268-1,002,262

• So sad that Crusade never got a real resolution I know it gets resolved somehow, because it's resolved as of the third Psi Corps novel and The Lost Tales, but that it never got told on screen or even on the page... =\
    • I really loved the Lost Tales mini-comic. Even though it didn't really tell any kind of story, it was a lovely tribute to Richard Biggs and Andreas Katsulas
    • The Lost Tales movie though, is not something I've ever been all that impressed with. The Sheridan story is tolerable, and it's nice to see Lochley continuing to be part of the B5verse, but it's a shame she has to play out such a ludicrous story. Demonic possession, an exorcism? Come on
    • I also really loathe how JMS kind of tries to blame the crappiness of The Lost Tales (and Legend of the Rangers) and the lack of new B5 material on not being interested in doing low budget stuff anymore. Both of those obviously had money behind them, you can especially see it in TLT in how amazingly good not only the CGI looks (the station, quantum space, the Centauri ship, the brief battle scene, etc), but also in the quality of the sets. What I also notice is that both TLotR and TLT were crap because of lousy writing--and JMS wrote both of them. The man has a real knack for throwing blame on anyone but himself
    • I just noticed....one of the B5 guards of the 'possessed' guy in The Lost Tales is none other than Peter Grodin from the first season of SGA And of course, Teryl Rothery as the ISN reporter
    • I like seeing Vir's insurrection finally getting started. It took long enough! Peter David's writing style in the Legions of Fire novels kind of sucks, but the cool ideas undoubtedly laid out by JMS' outline shine through, and I'm glad to finally see it moving forward
    • I hope I'm not the only one out there who found the final Psi Corps novel to be a monstrous disappointment. I knew, going in, that it wasn't going to tell the story of the Telepath War (a huge cop-out IMO), but man did it ever seem like a lazy resolution. Bester chills in Paris for 90% of the book, then gets arrested after a brawl in the rain with Garibaldi. Yawn.
    • I was also monstrously disappointed with the end of the Legions of Fire trilogy. It just....failed, on so many levels =\
    • I'm kind of amused at one thing in Sleeping in Light though, Delenn's hair colour is mostly dark again! The flash-forward sequences of 2278 from War Without End showed her with a whole heck of a lot of grey hair, but this, 2-3 years later, her hair is dark again. So much for Minbari not being vain!
    • For a rushed-together finale, The Deconstruction of Falling Stars is actually a really interesting episode. I don't like all of it, but there's parts of it that are pretty neat. Seeing the beginning of the IA and the revisionist history of 100 years later are things that I really enjoyed. I really don't care for the whole 500 years later second Earth Alliance Civil War though. While the 1000 years later sequence is interesting, I find the idea of Earth virtually destroying itself (because of the show's heroes, no less!) is kind of a betrayal of the extraordinary progress made and implied by entering "the third age of mankind"
    • I also don't really like the idea that, somehow, Earth's sun is destroyed prematurely and our evolved descendants relocate to the Vorlon homeworld. What's the point in that? The Vorlon star is probably a lot older than our own--sooner to die. So why not just stay where our legacy is?
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

It really bothered me at first when I couldn't figure out where I'd seen Rothery before when I started watching SG-1 in earnest last year.

The brighter the star, the sooner it burns itself out. White dwarfs will be the last to go. A really big one (think millions of solar masses) can burn itself out in a few millions of years, a blink of an eye in terms of the age of the universe. Of course, such stars won't have a solar system capable of harboring life that thrives in conditions humans find tolerable, simply because solid planets won't have time to coalesce in the lifetime of the star.

I found Deconstruction profoundly depressing.
    sigpic

Comment

What's beyond the universe or even Thirdspace could have been interesting storylines. Hmmm, maybe alternate universes.

I forget, but was B5 limited to the Milky Way?

Comment

B5 was limited to the Milky Way. Morden once showed a map of the Milky Way to Londo in which it was split in two, most for the Shadows, part for the Centauri.

I've never been able to find myself liking Deconstruction. I don't like knowing all that future. It took something away from season five, as we had a fair idea of the some of the events that would happen, plus it took some of the mystery away from what would happen in the future.

For me, it's one episode I'd really love for JMS to just disregard as canon.

sigpic

Comment

I don't mind it really, I just really don't like its placement at the end of Season 4. Of course, I prefer Sleeping in Light as my own personal finale to the B5verse, so it doesn't exactly fit neatly at the end either. Maybe it's better thought of as a series of appendices (a la Tolkien) rather than an episode.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I've been away from GateWorld for a bit, being preoccupied with physical fitness matters related to work. Exercise can really eat up my spare time.

Digi, I'm glad I'm not the only one who ended up disliking the Legions of Fire trilogy. I'm glad I got the chance to see some B5 canon fill in the 2263-2281 gap but I really didn't care for Peter David's writing style. Jeanne Cavelos impressed me much more with the Technomage novels. To be blunt, Legions of Fire nearly put me to sleep while I was reading it. I had to force myself to continue reading it because much of the first two novels felt so incredibly tedious. I started really getting into the plot when Vir and the Technomages discovered the Shadow base where the planetkiller was stored but my goodness it took so long to get to that point.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X