This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with my keyboard - Help!

I just tried typing in a search box and with certain letters, I seem to have some kind of predictive text thing happening which types two or three letters when I press one key.
    For example, J types 'jm', D types 'dec' and K types 'k,'. But some keys are fine, like E and A.
    I can delete the extra letters of course, but it obviously makes typing very slow and extremely annoying.
    Have I accidentally hit some shortcut? How do I stop it?
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
    >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Sounds like you've activated some Hotkeys.

Which Browser and Operating system are you running ?
    The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I know Google has this thing called instant search or something like that that searches as you type and tries to auto-fill the search box....if these search engine servers are using predictive software to fill the search box for you you could install keystroke encryption software....for example I use KeyScrambler from QFX Software and the free version encrypts your keystrokes for textboxes in IE, Firefox, and Flock browsers....it's primary purpose is to defeat keyloggers which install themselves along the pathway between your keyboard and the screen to record keystrokes....KeyScrambler defeats them by installing itself at the driver level..at the beginning of the path and causes any keyloggers you may have to record a different key to the one you pressed (for example when you type an "H" KeyScrambler may encrypt it to an "M" for the keyloggers along that path) and Keyscrambler will decrypt the keystroke when it has traversed this pathway (i.e. when the keystroke gets to the screen it will show the proper key)...so that's its primary purpose but this kind of software might throw off any search engines using predictive auto-fill thingies too

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
        Sounds like you've activated some Hotkeys.

Which Browser and Operating system are you running ?
        I'm using IE on Windows Vista.

@Mad_Gater, I was using Yahoo when I noticed it, but it does this everywhere you can type. Here, Word docs, etc. Also, I just tried restarting the comp but it didn't work.
        "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
        "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"

sigpic
        >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

you may have a "sticky" keyboard....ie: you may have spilled something gooey in there and it is causing some keys to stick together when you press one down. I would try to gently "pop" your keys off and clean your keyboard. Or before that do a virus scan? Could be a virus...possibly?
          Originally posted by jelgate
          This brings much pain but SQ is right

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
            I'm using IE on Windows Vista.

@Mad_Gater, I was using Yahoo when I noticed it, but it does this everywhere you can type. Here, Word docs, etc. Also, I just tried restarting the comp but it didn't work.
            If it's happening everywhere you can type it sounds like it's a problem with the keyboard, rather than any specific program or hotkeys.. The letters that are appearing are next to the keys you're pressing.. so "sticky" keys would be the first and easiest thing to check for. But it could be the keyboard has a fault somewhere that is making it register one key as two or three..

Comment

Squirrely and Pharaoh - you were right!
              I took a couple of keys off and cleaned under them and they were fine after! Then I took off a couple more and there was a pile of crumbs...
              So now I'm going to clean out this keyboard properly...

Thank you!

(I am a little embarassed now... )

sigpic
              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

you're not the only one who eats at their computer....

Comment

Originally posted by mad_gater View Post
                  you're not the only one who eats at their computer....
                  I do try not to have the food too close to the keyboard, but some crumbs still get flicked around... *doh*

Unfortunately, I've also just buggered up 5 of my keys removing them...
                  No letter keys thankfully, but one of them is the Enter key. It still works, as you can see, (as do the other 4) it's just that they won't clip back down properly. Hopefully, when I take it to the shop tomorrow, they'll be able to fix them...

sigpic
                  >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Squirrely and Pharaoh - you were right!
                    I took a couple of keys off and cleaned under them and they were fine after! Then I took off a couple more and there was a pile of crumbs...
                    So now I'm going to clean out this keyboard properly...

Thank you!

(I am a little embarassed now... )
                    Don't be...it's happened to me as well This is how I knew what to tell you *snort* Good luck with the cleaning

Comment

I do try not to have the food too close to the keyboard, but some crumbs still get flicked around... *doh*

No letter keys thankfully, but one of them is the Enter key. It still works, as you can see, (as do the other 4) it's just that they won't clip back down properly. Hopefully, when I take it to the shop tomorrow, they'll be able to fix them...

well the shift, enter, space bar and control keys have little springs in them...or wire bars that help to support the key...make sure you didn't lose that piece or get it back on wrong. Seriously I would just consider buying a new keyboard if that one keeps acting up...they are cheap enough... rather than spend the money on servicing it....unless you are taking in your whole computer.

Comment

Depends on the shop... PCWorld try to find ways to avoid having to fix things like broken keys.. They only fix them if the way they came off fits in with their extremely narrow definition of suitably "fallen off within the bounds of acceptable and reasonable wear and tear for the age of the keyboard"... I had to get two keys fixed and ended up having to order the keys and put them on myself.. it was either that or beat the "Tech Guys" (as they call themselves...) to death with my laptop... which probably wouldn't have done it any good

They won't fix keys that break off.. only those that fall off.. but if they fall off doesn't that mean they're broken? So they can't fix them because there was no falling... *annoyed*

I suddenly feel like taking a trip down to PCWorld......
                        Last edited by Pharaoh Hamenthotep; 22 June 2011, 02:42 PM.

Comment

it's generally why I usually just take my laptop.....turn it upside down...and GENTLY tap on the bottom of my laptop to get most of the crumbs out

Comment

Squirrely, I definately still have the wires in the keys. Whether or not they are affixed properly I'm not definate... but it's the bottom of the Enter key for example that won't clip down, and the wire is around the top.
                            And this is a laptop btw, so I can't just get a new keyboard..

Pharaoh, we have a computer shop a few streets away where they are usually more accommodating than PC World, so I'm trying them first.

Mad Gater, yes, I probably should have just done that! But I wanted to get any crumbs that had been pressed to the bottom by the keys.

Ah, when will I learn that I can't fix everything?

sigpic
                            >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Pharaoh, we have a computer shop a few streets away where they are usually more accommodating than PC World, so I'm trying them first.
                              You're lucky.. I don't have that many options.. The keys came off my laptop which was only a problem because of the ridiculously delicate key pressing mechanism underneath If it had been a problem with my desktop (which used to be my main computer before it turned 8..) I could have fixed it myself, no matter how complicated the problem was... I built it so I know what is computable with it, and how to keep it working

Comment

Working...
                              X