This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiki hosting

As many of you know, and some of you agree, I hate wikia. I hate them with a passion, I refer all others to better sites such as Wikkii and Shoutwiki. Wikia were ok for a while until they decided that they wanted complete uniformity and anyone who didn't like it, well they got banned.

Many wikia communities who had functioning, aesthetically pleasing sites suddenly had 3/4 of the screen to work with, intrusive ads and were not allowed to do anything about that. (through changing coding etc). Many sites began to move to better hosts (Wikkii, Shoutwiki) and Wikia even tried to bribe the World of Warcraft Wikia into staying by allowing them to have a large article size and even offering shares in the ad revenue or lumps of cash. Thats right instead of leaving functioning sites alone they screwed up and then tried to bribe people to stay. Anyone who spoke out about it were banned (some of them vandalised of course).

So I find myself asking why I have noticed many people creating wikis on Wikia, when I notice that someone creates a wikia for their stargate project, I IMMEDIATELY lose interest. These sites are tacky and they ALL look like random blogs on the internet. No wiki host is perfect, but some (Wikia) are faceless, money-hungry corporations who will scrrew over the people who made it what it was for money.

Other hosts can be less reliable (especially Shoutwiki, who were down for 60+ days and are apparently down again) and some are SLIGHTLY less customisable (like Wikkii who dont allow spaces in wiki names (e.g. StargateWiki instead of Stargate Wiki) but at least they aren't going to screw you over.

Anyway this thread has three purposes:
    1) Inform you of the evilness of Wikia
    2) Ask you to show Wikia that they cannot treat their communities like this by going elsewhere
    3) And ask why you create wikis on Wikia, they are FAR from the best wiki host out there

Also move to independent hosting e.g. http://stargate-wiki.org/wiki/Main_Page, dont complain about costs, i pay $50/year

i quite like your wiki.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
      i quite like your wiki.
      why thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        suddenly had 3/4 of the screen to work with, intrusive ads and were not allowed to do anything about that. (through changing coding etc).
        Fortunately, most end users who are at least partially competent with a computer have installed adblockers.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          Fortunately, most end users who are at least partially competent with a computer have installed adblockers.
          True, but i dream of a day when ads are never installed anywhere online.......

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
            True, but i dream of a day when ads are never installed anywhere online.......

You'll be waiting a long time
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
            X