"Legions of Fire" novel trilogy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Legions of Fire" novel trilogy

We mentioned talking about thoughts on it over in the episode thread, but I didn't want to derail it so here we are, a new thread!

I'm not that far into the trilogy yet, I'm about 2/3 of the way through the first book. Probably finish it tonight. So far there's....things I like, and things that I don't like so much.

I'm especially annoyed at how terrible the author is at keeping the universe's chronology straight. Did nobody bother to proofread this before it went to print, or what? It starts with like 50 pages (!!) of replaying what we already saw played out on screen in The Fall of Centauri Prime. Then the next chapter skips ahead to what it says is 8 months later--which would place that section of the book in April 2263. Except....another hundred pages later and stuff happens that very obviously places the events of those hundred pages sometime between The Wheel of Fire and Objects at Rest. And on top of that, the whole first half of the book's 'title page' says that it spans 2262-64. So, given that everything else in the first half to that point is still in 2262, I guess that means that the short last chapter of the first half takes place 2 years later in 2264, before the second half of the book starts. UGH.

I don't mean to exclusively complain though. Peter David has done an amazing job of writing for the characters we've come to know and love in the show. The way he's written Londo, and in particular the way he's written Vir are absolutely spot-on and a ton of fun to read.

And even though it doesn't happen a whole lot, I really like the sections that are written from Shiv'kala's point of view. The Drakh are already such a fascinating and unique enemy in a way that I don't think came across very well on screen. Can't wait to read more!
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Ah... I may have to reaquaint myself with the books now to give any real feedback...
    But I do love Vir's development in the trilogy.

And how the Drakh influenced Durla in a different way to Londo was also creepy... not quite as much as the keeper though. But I can't remember whereabouts that comes in so I'm not saying too much in case you haven't reached it yet.
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
    >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Working...
    X