PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone really "Angry" over the events at the end of the first Season?

Ser Scot A Ellison
June 14th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'm curious to find out if anyone will defend the "angry" position of some viewers given the event of "Baelor"?

The Mighty 6 platoon
June 14th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Doubt you'll find anyone here whose really "angry". Sad maybe, but I think most people here also saw it as a shocking, yet brilliant tv moment. In general Gateworld has less trolls and smarter posters than most of the rest of the net, so the whole "RAGE!!!, CANCEL HBO!!11!!1!" thing won't really happen.

themeatcleaver
June 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Having never read the books, I was kind of expecting it. So i'm sadly disappointed but i think it sets the stage for some seriously interesting events.

i find that im really more interested in everything else going on though, in particular the events of the night's watch and the doth'raki down south. eager to find out how things work out with Ronon Dex :)

Cold Fuzz
June 14th, 2011, 03:12 PM
As for anyone being "angry" over the events in "Baelor" it's either have everything stand as it did in the books or re-write the story for the series so that Ned Stark lives. Somehow I don't think George Martin would be fond of the latter. :P

Having never read the books, I was kind of expecting it. So i'm sadly disappointed but i think it sets the stage for some seriously interesting events.

i find that im really more interested in everything else going on though, in particular the events of the night's watch and the doth'raki down south. eager to find out how things work out with Ronon Dex :)

Though the intrigues at King's Landing have been the primary focus of the series, like you, the story lines that interested me the most in both the series and the books were the events at the Wall as well as Daenerys over in the eastern part of the world.

mr_kennedy
June 14th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Thought there was still 1 more episode

MattSilver 3k
June 14th, 2011, 05:00 PM
There is.

Egle01
June 15th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Angry? Hell no. It's actually nice when tv show surprises like that and proves that no character is safe. If that's what we're talking about. If not, then no worries. I'm still not angry.

magictrick
June 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I already knew it was coming. But even when I was reading it in the novel, it only got me more interested for the 2nd book. It is rare to see a story that has no problem eliminating main characters for the purpose of advancing the plot and adding a whole lot of intrigue for the readers.

siles
June 15th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Angry? Hell no. It's actually nice when tv show surprises like that and proves that no character is safe. If that's what we're talking about. If not, then no worries. I'm still not angry.
REad the books and you'll know which character is safe or not ;)

MattSilver 3k
June 15th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah, it is a shame that Ned won't...

*Flips on sunglasses*

Beheading into season two...

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

gotthammer
June 15th, 2011, 09:13 PM

*Flips on sunglasses*

:lol:
That's just...bad. :lol:

MattSilver 3k
June 15th, 2011, 09:19 PM
That's humour at its finest. If Ned took a moment to use his head, he'd find it funny. But alas...

norph
June 15th, 2011, 10:01 PM
REad the books and you'll know which character is safe or not ;)

Unfortunately only 4 out of 7 books is out so far, anyone who is still alive at the end of the 4th book might still get offed in the next 3 especially once winter comes. :)

Ser Scot A Ellison
June 16th, 2011, 06:23 AM
norph,

Unfortunately only 4 out of 7 books is out so far, anyone who is still alive at the end of the 4th book might still get offed in the next 3 especially once winter comes. :)

A Dance with Dragons will be released on 7/12/2011.

:)

Egle01
June 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM
REad the books and you'll know which character is safe or not ;)Nah, I'll stick with tv format for the time being.

dragongirl
June 17th, 2011, 12:24 PM
All in all I can think of only one scene that I would like to have seen follow the book better, however I was not mad that they did it the way they did and if I had never read the books and saw everything for the first time through the show there is nothing I can find fault with.

Phil70
June 17th, 2011, 08:34 PM

*Flips on sunglasses*

omg amazing, haha <3

Cold Fuzz
June 18th, 2011, 07:57 PM
norph,

A Dance with Dragons will be released on 7/12/2011.

:)

Once the series is in hiatus until next year, the book will certainly help alleviate the inevitable Game of Thrones withdrawal I'll be experiencing--that is, until the DVD comes out. :D

g.o.d
June 19th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I'm not angry at all. I don't know should I be. Sad maybe, but not angry. It's a part of the story. I was shocked whe I saw that scene. I knew Ned wouldn't make it, but I certainly wasn't expecting this. When I look back I see it was also Ned's own fault. He was always trying to do the right thing which cost him his head. And Joffrey, that little brat only proved he's not ready to be the king and probably he'll never be. I only hope Starks will get their revenge.

I saw many deaths of major characters in several shows or movies and this one was one of the "best" written and had huge impact on all characters and a show.

Hitokage
June 27th, 2011, 10:26 PM
this series has great atmosphere and its somehow real for me...you know not some heroes which are surviving every fight etc and are almost gods...I just love this change

Skydiver
July 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM
i'm not emotionally invested enough to get angry over anyone dying.

now maybe after i get to book 2 or 3 I'll feel differently, but right now no favorites.

it's interesting to have watched the mini series, and now be reading the book. some scenes are more 'alive' because i can remember listening to /watching them. Others not so much or it's interesting to see how different they are.

The Mighty 6 platoon
July 2nd, 2011, 02:46 AM
i'm not emotionally invested enough to get angry over anyone dying.

now maybe after i get to book 2 or 3 I'll feel differently, but right now no favorites.

it's interesting to have watched the mini series, and now be reading the book. some scenes are more 'alive' because i can remember listening to /watching them. Others not so much or it's interesting to see how different they are.

*pedant hat on* it's not a miniseries, it's a standard tv series, HBO shows just tend to have less episodes per season *pedant hat off :P*

KEK
July 4th, 2011, 01:44 AM
I'm guessing the people who are annoyed are people who maybe didn't realise the show was based on books. I didn't find out for ages that True Blood was based on books, for example.

webxro
July 4th, 2011, 02:26 AM
I'm guessing the people who are annoyed are people who maybe didn't realise the show was based on books. I didn't find out for ages that True Blood was based on books, for example.

True blood is based on books ?

Oh just kidding , i really like how things have gone in Game of Thrones , i bought the books after the first 3 episodes so i have something to do and i am one of the people that hates reading to much

Skydiver
July 4th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Dexter was based on a book in the beginning, but has now grown past that I believe. And they diverged quite a bit. LaGuarta died in the first book i think, but is alive and well going into season 5.

so some derivations stick to the original source, others don't.

maxbo
July 4th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I'm curious to find out if anyone will defend the "angry" position of some viewers given the event of "Baelor"?

I doubt that any of the "angry" crowd will stop by to defend their position because many claim that they won't be watching anymore. For those that remain, I hope they either read the books or read summaries and spoilers before continuing.

As for me, although Sean Bean was one of my reasons for giving this show a chance in the first place, I thought his character's death was well done. All through the season, I kept thinking that Ned was making too many mistakes for him and his family to survive King's Landing unscathed and it was refreshing to see severe, permanent consequences for a lead character.

Skydiver
July 4th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Ned was rather naive and too trusting. he seemed to live with honor and expected others to do the same...problem is he's in a world where they don't.

The Mighty 6 platoon
July 4th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Dexter was based on a book in the beginning, but has now grown past that I believe. And they diverged quite a bit. LaGuarta died in the first book i think, but is alive and well going into season 5.

so some derivations stick to the original source, others don't.
Indeed. Some work better sticking close to the source material, some are better if they diverge. In Dexter's case it was the correct thing to diverge the series from the books imo, later Dexter books started introducing supernatural elements suddenly, which it was heavily criticised for, because the first 2 books were crime fiction grounded in reality and no one expected them to diverge into fantasy and have stuff about reincarnations of the god Moloch, etc...

In Game of Thrones case however, A Song of Ice and Fire is such a well loved series of books a faithful adaption seems to be the right course. The fact that George RR Martin is a former tv scriptwriter also helps tremendously, since he can be much more heavily involved with the adaption and knows what he's doing.

I doubt that any of the "angry" crowd will stop by to defend their position because many claim that they won't be watching anymore. For those that remain, I hope they either read the books or read summaries and spoilers before continuing.

I think to be honest the angry crowd have been pretty much discredited at this point. Following Ned's death in episode 9 the show then promptly broke its rating records for episode 10 and got it's best ratings yet. People are watching, so either the angry crowd are continuing to watch, or they're so small as not to matter.

g.o.d
July 4th, 2011, 10:36 PM
let's just hope TPTB won't let Starks kill Joffrey in S2. I've heard he's alive in books, so I hope TPTB won't change a storyline in order to satisfy "angry TV crowd" :)

MattSilver 3k
July 4th, 2011, 11:46 PM
let's just hope TPTB won't let Starks kill Joffrey in S2. I've heard he's alive in books, so I hope TPTB won't change a storyline in order to satisfy "angry TV crowd" :)

TPTB won't be doing any changing of big broad plot strokes or character fates, I'd wager. They'd condense a bit and scratch a few characters away til they become relevant, like Blackfish. ALSO, HERE BE SOME BOOK SPOILERS SO DON'T OPEN THEM OR YOU'LL BE SPOILED. LOOK! A WARNING:

As for Joffrey? You heard wrong.

g.o.d
July 5th, 2011, 01:24 AM
TPTB won't be doing any changing of big broad plot strokes or character fates, I'd wager. They'd condense a bit and scratch a few characters away til they become relevant, like Blackfish.

As for Joffrey? You heard wrong.

well, he's alive in some books

Skydiver
July 5th, 2011, 03:25 AM
Thanks for dropping those spoiler bombs

much appreciated. Now I won't even have to read the books to find out what happens. :rolleyes:

MattSilver 3k
July 5th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Sorry, but, you know, the tags were there. Don't throw a hissy. Also, very happy to save you the trouble of reading the books if you're going to act like a child about it.

Skydiver
July 5th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'm not talking about the tagged spoilers. I'm talking about god's untagged one.
In a series where no character is safe knowing which ones don't die is as much a spoiler as knowing which one does

Huaracocha
July 12th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I was a bit angry as it happened (Baelor) but hey ho, he kind of walked into it and it does make a nice change to off the lead hero ;) Now when Khal Drogo bought it too I was really shocked and saddened. Not angry but definitely suprised and a bit confused where we go from here in the series :S

If I had to list my main reasons for really enjoying the show, aside from its overall general awesomeness, it would be something like (in no particular order);

Eddard Stark's character / Sean Bean's portrayal
Khal Drogo char / Jason Momoa's on-screen presence
dragon lady char / Emilia Clarke's performance and beauty
wanting to see Viserys dead
wanting to see Queen Evil and her whole evil family dead (possible exception of the imp)
the imp / Peter Dinklage's acting skills and comic performance

So yeah.. a lot of that is gone now and the family of evil is far from dead! Still dragon lady with dragons and wishing harm on the Lannisters will definitely hold my attention going forward ;)

BTW, Is the first season basically book 1 or does it cover only part of it or more than that?
And am I the only one that was getting naming similarity confusion with Khal Drogo / Kar D'Argo (so much so that Dragho Musevinhy started to figure into the mental mess too)? :D

Ser Scot A Ellison
July 13th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Huarachoca,

All I can say is: be patient.

Huaracocha
July 13th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Huarachoca,

All I can say is: be patient.

Hehe thanks for the advice - love the use of spoiler tags ;) Not my strongest suit though.. I've already picked up the books on my Kindle :o

magictrick
July 16th, 2011, 10:09 AM
BTW, Is the first season basically book 1 or does it cover only part of it or more than that?
And am I the only one that was getting naming similarity confusion with Khal Drogo / Kar D'Argo (so much so that Dragho Musevinhy started to figure into the mental mess too)? :D

The first season covers all of book one. I think the plan is one season per book, although some of the later books may require more.
In terms of naming yes, but appearance-wise, I think its safe to say there is very little similarity :P

Skydiver
July 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM
it's also possible, I know some of hte later books are more intricate, but some bits and pieces may be cut due to content. I haven't read them, but have heard that they are very graphic, and even though channels like HBO don't have to edit for content as much as network shows do, they may make creative choices to gloss over some things, or do like Harry Potter, remove some of the more removed plot threads and storylines to leave more time for the ones they deem to be 'more important'

It's also possible, due to production costs, that whole battles may be not shown but merely mentioned

magictrick
July 16th, 2011, 12:56 PM
it's also possible, I know some of hte later books are more intricate, but some bits and pieces may be cut due to content. I haven't read them, but have heard that they are very graphic, and even though channels like HBO don't have to edit for content as much as network shows do, they may make creative choices to gloss over some things, or do like Harry Potter, remove some of the more removed plot threads and storylines to leave more time for the ones they deem to be 'more important'

It's also possible, due to production costs, that whole battles may be not shown but merely mentioned

Its actually interesting because in the first season, there were actually scenes that were added, which weren't in the books. The books are written from the POV of different characters, but not all characters have a POV. Robb does not have a POV in the book but there are scenes in the series where you actually see things from his point of view, something that you were not able to do in the books. Same with Cersei and Robert.

Undoubtedly things will be shortened, but entire story lines will not be overlooked, simply because of the nature of the story, where everything is interconnected in some way. As for censoring the more graphic parts, I think its safe to say we saw quite a bit of things we would not expect to see. I don't see the producers holding back too much with what there is to come. I also don't think they will cheap out on battle scenes, because some times something important might happen that affects one or more characters.

The Mighty 6 platoon
July 16th, 2011, 01:30 PM
As for censoring the more graphic parts, I think its safe to say we saw quite a bit of things we would not expect to see. I don't see the producers holding back too much with what there is to come. I also don't think they will cheap out on battle scenes, because some times something important might happen that affects one or more characters.

Indeed, it's highly unlikely anything will be censored or deemed too graphic by HBO. While GRRM's books deal with graphic death, sex, rape , child murder and assorted other nasty stuff, all these themes have been in HBO shows before.

As for the battles, I think we'll see more as they go on. Several battles become key, and we already know one will be the central part of an episode in season 2. I think the producers will also learn how to work with their budget. They even admitted in an interview that they cut battle scene, with Tyrion at the Green Fork out, not because they couldn't afford it, quite the contrary in fact they had it planned out in a way that wouldn't be too expensive, but they simply ran out of time to film. Now going into season 2, having already done a season, I would imagine they would be more experienced and be able to imagine the time spent filming better.

I mean keep in mind David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, the show runners have no prior experience in running and producing a show. They're both originally authors and script writers. I think in many ways that's a good thing, their writing skills were key in making sure this was a successful adaption. But as I say neither of these guys has produced a tv show before and yet they did an amazing job. Now that they have done a season, they will even better understand the pitfalls and how to do things better, so I think for season 2 we'll see them do an even better job.

Lunaeclipse
January 8th, 2014, 12:34 PM

Having read the books I knew it was coming and Ned was played by Sean Bean so that was a possible hint... It was sad, but from what I remember of the books it was the likely outcome... like if you saw someone in a blindfold walking towards a cliff and you know someone warned them not to go that way and directed them in the other... you can kind of see what's going to happen... or at least know it's likely...