PDA

View Full Version : Rewrite the Final Two Episodes

Snowman37
June 10th, 2011, 02:28 PM
If you could rewrite the final two episodes, "Vegas" and "Enemy at the Gate," what would you change? The only rule to this is that the finale can't end with a cliffhanger.

For me, I'd just scrap "Vegas" and expand "Enemy at the Gate" into a two-parter.

jelgate
June 10th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Toss out Vegas. Its pointless and do a massive rewrite on EATG

JT-2
June 10th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I love Vegas, so I wouldn't toss it out. Maybe it could be earlier in the season, and then make EatG at 2 parter. I would be more than willing to toss out Brain Storm or Identity.

hedwig
June 10th, 2011, 04:55 PM
I love Vegas, so I wouldn't toss it out. Maybe it could be earlier in the season, and then make EatG at 2 parter. I would be more than willing to toss out Brain Storm or Identity.

Ditto. Though I'd add Tracker to the list to toss out.

WraithRichard
June 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM

Same. I might make the in-joke of people watching Vegas at the end, sort of like SG-1 watching Wormhole Extreme. I'd make John less of a jerk and give Amelia and Lorne bigger parts.

I know it'd make people mad, but I'd ditch Ronon dying and Kenny's scene. No point there and wasting 8 hours of makeup on a character who says half a line and dies to ruin a poignant scene wouldn't reflect on me as a good writer.

major davis
June 13th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Toss out Identity.

Give Vegas the 5x18 spot

Make EAtG a two-parter

Start from scratch with EAtG

WraithRichard
June 13th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Toss out Identity and Tracker.

Give Vegas the 5x18 spot

Make EAtG a two-parter

Start from scratch with EAtG

Fixed.

Lythisrose
June 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Vegas is my favorite episode of the series, so I'd never toss it. I'd make it come earlier in the series so people could wonder if the signal had reached our universe for a while.

Toss out Brainstorm (pointless ep) and Identity (more pointlessness) and make EaTG a three episode story. It needed some serious setting-up and expansion of the plot lines.

WraithRichard
June 13th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Vegas is my favorite episode of the series, so I'd never toss it. I'd make it come earlier in the series so people could wonder if the signal had reached our universe for a while.

Toss out Brainstorm (pointless ep) and Identity (more pointlessness) and make EaTG a three episode story. It needed some serious setting-up and expansion of the plot lines.

If I keep Vegas, I'd rewrite the whole thing. Christopher Heyeredahl deserved more than spending hours in makeup just to spit on a plastic wall reciting gibberish. And that's the least of it's problems.

Identity, Tracker, and Brainstorm shouldn't have been made, but I'm not sure if expanding EATG would help. There were a ton of pointless bits in that. It needed a rewrite or a replacement itself.

bluealien
June 13th, 2011, 12:59 PM

I agree. It was a pointless episode and bared no resemblence to our Atlantis.

I'd also get rid of Identity, Brainstorm and Tracker.. these 4 episodes were some of the worst of the series..:o

Lythisrose
June 13th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I agree. It was a pointless episode and bared no resemblence to our Atlantis.

I'd also get rid of Identity, Brainstorm and Tracker.. these 4 episodes were some of the worst of the series..:o

LOL, Vegas sure inspires strong reactions, pro and con. I love it with an unholy glee - I wish they'd have made a spin off out of it.
I agree with you on the other eps, though. :)

JT-2
June 13th, 2011, 01:58 PM
LOL, Vegas sure inspires strong reactions, pro and con. I love it with an unholy glee - I wish they'd have made a spin off out of it.

I bought the season 5 DVDs mainly for this episode. :) Joe is awesome in it.

kcordloh
June 13th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I felt EATG needed more setup then it had, so I would want more then 2 episodes to rewrite. Vegas was fun, I honestly think it should have been in the Daedalus Variations spot, a little techno babble about how the transmission would take weeks or even months to reach Pegasus would have sufficed. And then scrap Identity, and make Inquisition a 2-parter that was not a clip show and have them at the end of the day sitting on the deck asking if they really are making a difference. I didn't mind the bribery angle to get out of it, but they celebrated bribing their way out. Just a solemn state to end one episode would have been great.

If I was just stripped Vegas and EATG though, I would leave Vegas alone. It's an AR, so it's okay. Todd could have been used better, in fact if he was the Todd from another Alternate Universe and knew John Sheppard quite well and was the reason that the hive had made it to Earth in the first place that would have been awesome.

EATG I would get rid of the Ronan dying scene. Add in a line after they dialed Earth and realized it was the hive to say: "Unfortunately we don't have any nukes we can send through, and unfortunately a drones fired through a wormhole cannot be controlled from the other side. However, we cannot pass up this opportunity to aid Earth." I mean come on, they didn't even mention sending a bomb or taking a PJ through and reigning havoc with drones from the inside.

WraithRichard
June 14th, 2011, 10:41 AM
EATG I would get rid of the Ronan dying scene. Add in a line after they dialed Earth and realized it was the hive to say: "Unfortunately we don't have any nukes we can send through, and unfortunately a drones fired through a wormhole cannot be controlled from the other side. However, we cannot pass up this opportunity to aid Earth." I mean come on, they didn't even mention sending a bomb or taking a PJ through and reigning havoc with drones from the inside.

I hated the end. Way too rushed. America alone has a HUGE military. Even if the technobabble about the single ZPM on a hive ship could have kept all our weapons at bay and we couldn't just nuke it from outside, we'd be spending weeks, maybe months constantly throwing everything we had at it while building more things to throw.

Either a long, drawn out war should have happened, or the wraith should have started a war of attrition. Instead of going after the US or other first-world countries, they wreck our factories in impoverished places or start culling places ravaged by war, poverty, and/or plague?

bluealien
June 21st, 2011, 11:50 AM

My problem with Vegas is that it bared no resemblance to our characters. It was meant to be a Sheppard episode but as usual McKay did all the babbling...and this Sheppard was just nothing like ours - I could never see our Shep ending up as some sad loner who puts other lives before his own... though I do think the writers were trying to turn him into something like this even in our universe... McKay as usual is the most important person in every universe and Sheppard is only good for going on suicide missions or sacrificing himself.... and in this episode his life wasn't even worth saving.. and to top it off the 2nd last episode of the series didn't have Teyla or Ronon, but yet they managed to shove in Keller.. I could go on and on...:o

magictrick
June 21st, 2011, 12:05 PM
The OP was just talking about the last two episodes, I assume because that is when they found out that the show was canceled and the producers only had 2 episodes to conclude the series. In which case I would suggest the obvious and scrap Vegas in favour of making EatG a 2-parter.

WraithRichard
June 21st, 2011, 10:14 PM
My problem with Vegas is that it bared no resemblance to our characters. It was meant to be a Sheppard episode but as usual McKay did all the babbling...and this Sheppard was just nothing like ours - I could never see our Shep ending up as some sad loner who puts other lives before his own... though I do think the writers were trying to turn him into something like this even in our universe... McKay as usual is the most important person in every universe and Sheppard is only good for going on suicide missions or sacrificing himself.... and in this episode his life wasn't even worth saving.. and to top it off the 2nd last episode of the series didn't have Teyla or Ronon, but yet they managed to shove in Keller.. I could go on and on...:o

We also didn't get muc in the way of character development. We've gotten a lot from when SG-1 screwed up the timeline, but here? John's a loser and that's it save for superficial details and that's the most we get out of character we've already seen. We got more from the wraith (not Todd).

Utopia!
August 23rd, 2011, 06:37 AM
I would probably remove Vegas, and write EatG as a two parter. I know some people consider Vegas as one of the Best SGA episodes (which I understand. I don't like it but I don't say it's bad or rubbish. It's just that CSI aspect of the thing I really dislike), but it shouldn't have been in the finale. If it had been the 10th episode of the season, it would have been okay, though.
Anyway, EatG'd need some massive expansion in the plot lines, and a different ending because it was a too "easy" manner to destroy the ship. Ah, and in the final scene, Zelenka should have been with the team, because he is an important character and I was so disappointed because of that.

PS: I forgot to say : more Beckett? =D
PPS: Sorry for my bad English.

blueray
August 23rd, 2011, 07:20 AM

amen!

i hated the vegas episode, it was pretty pointless. the only part that mattered was the very end, and that could have been the begining of a two parter finale. then i would have extented eatg to make it not seem as rushed, and explain the jump drive (thing) better.

jfby
August 23rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
I woulde have put Vegas earlier in the season (I really loved Vegas), and I would've extended Enemy at the gate.

AdmiralButtHead
November 23rd, 2011, 12:55 AM
They should have just made EaTG a two hour ep or at least an hour and a half; that was without a doubt the WORST series finally I have EVER seen! EVER! But I still watch it every now & then, as I am having Stargate withdraws... Don't get me wrong, I liked part of it but pulling a "wormhole Drive" out of their butts and then there are a few other things that bugged me...

Like the Wraith attacking area 51 and we were out numbered... If that happened in real life EVERY jet in the Air force would be in that fight...

The ship was powered by a ZPM; when those blow up, don't they take out the whole solar system?

And when Sheppard fires drones they don't impact all over the place; they are in a stream (no disrespect intended to Dr. Beckett)...

I'm pretty sure there were some more issues I had with it but it has been a week since I watched it... Like I said, they should have made it a two hour ep and finished it right... But that's just MHO... And I recall reading that when the producers pitched SGU they knew they would have to end SGA so tptb should have let them do it right...

jelgate
November 23rd, 2011, 07:28 AM
They should have just made EaTG a two hour ep or at least an hour and a half; that was without a doubt the WORST series finally I have EVER seen! EVER! But I still watch it every now & then, as I am having Stargate withdraws... Don't get me wrong, I liked part of it but pulling a "wormhole Drive" out of their butts and then there are a few other things that bugged me...

Like the Wraith attacking area 51 and we were out numbered... If that happened in real life EVERY jet in the Air force would be in that fight...

The ship was powered by a ZPM; when those blow up, don't they take out the whole solar system?

And when Sheppard fires drones they don't impact all over the place; they are in a stream (no disrespect intended to Dr. Beckett)...

I'm pretty sure there were some more issues I had with it but it has been a week since I watched it... Like I said, they should have made it a two hour ep and finished it right... But that's just MHO... And I recall reading that when the producers pitched SGU they knew they would have to end SGA so tptb should have let them do it right...

The ZPM didn't blow up

Night Maiden
September 16th, 2014, 07:20 PM
More screen time for the wraith in Vegas, and more screen time for the newer improved hive ship in Enemy At the Gate.

Lythisrose
September 16th, 2014, 07:23 PM
I would have gotten rid of Brainstorm or Identity, put Vegas earlier and then had EaTG as a two parter season (not series) finale.