This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Sized Fast Food Phobia

Join me for a cheeseburger and a Coke as we put our feet up, get grease all over ourselves, and examine the deeply-rooted pop culture belief that fast food is bad for you. And here's a thing of honey-mustard sauce to drink for dessert.

The questionable nutritional value of fast food, and of McDonald's in particular, came under its closest scrutiny when documentary filmmaker Morgan Spurlock released Super Size Me in 2004. The movie documented his own experience living exclusively on McDonald's food for 30 days. He averaged 5,000 calories a day, and when you consider that a Big Mac contains only 510 calories, you know that he was really packing it in. He super-sized every meal that was offered. Most dramatic was Spurlock's reported health problems. Not only did he gain 13% of his body weight, he also developed liver problems, depression and other psychological effects, and sexual dysfunction. Super Size Me also contained a large amount of editorial content about how McDonald's deliberately forces cheap, unhealthy food onto an unsuspecting public for profit.

Super Size Me was the most popular documentary of the year, and was nominated for an academy award. Its claims were generally accepted without critique by nearly everyone who watched it or even just heard about it. But this result was virtually guaranteed by Spurlock's choice of subject matter. McDonald's is probably the world's easiest target. It's always popular to be anticorporate; it's always popular to bash fast foods, and audiences are generally well predisposed to welcome any information that supports these concepts.

Spurlock's results were only presented in his movie. No actual data was published or subjected to any scrutiny or peer review. We have only his verbal statements to go on, plus the lines delivered onscreen by the doctor and nutritionist who performed in his movie. This is a Hollywood entertainment, it's not valid scientific data. However, for the sake of argument, my inclination is to give Spurlock the benefit of the doubt and accept his claims as valid, and accept the movie dialog as actual opinions of unbiased health professionals. From the perspective of responsible empiricism, that's a stretch, but I'm willing to do it. The problem is that Spurlock's results are highly deviant from other research on the same subject.
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4088

This is a good rebuttal to the infamous documentary. The thing is people are so quick to accept any criticism without actually thinking about things.

Any educated person knows fast food is terrible for your body. Trust me I know
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I would appreciate it if you would please read the full article first before responding to any comments made. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
        I would appreciate it if you would please read the full article first before responding to any comments made. Thanks.
        The point of the documentary is that its idiotic to eat nothing but fast food all the time. It may not be quite as bad as it's made out to be, but that doesn't change that it's a terrible substitute for a "real" balanced meal three times a day.

And yes, I read the whole article before responding.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The feeling of your arteries hardening is the feeling of LIFE!
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Agreed. Its why bacon is awesome
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Fast food is bad but it's not like an average steak dinner is great for you either If we all followed the nutritional guidelines we'd be eating like rabbits. I'll bet he did have liver issues after that drastic of a diet change.
              Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Comment

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

America replaced the food pyramid recently and now we have this.

each portion is clickable in the link

https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

It is true that fast food is perfectly fine in moderation......however I know the following things.........

If I eat a full balanced meal I feel good and fine.

If I order Chinese food I feel stuffed but more or less ok. It depends on the chinese you order from of course.

If I order a pizza I definately feel like I have eaten something bad for me since it's loaded with grease and salt but at the same time it's filling and I odn't have to eat for a day or so.

If I order a McDonalds, Burger King or KFC I will eat, feel stuffed and yet I will feel a strange hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach as though I haven't eaten. Or at least not eaten anything that's good for me. Sure it tastes good (Sort of) and is fine if there's nothing else but you have to figure that there's nothing good in a meal when you eat a quarter pounder and you still need to eat but can't.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    As Obi Wan tells me: I want to green you. But I can't. Sorry.
                    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      The point of the documentary is that its idiotic to eat nothing but fast food all the time. It may not be quite as bad as it's made out to be, but that doesn't change that it's a terrible substitute for a "real" balanced meal three times a day.
                      Exactly. 1 fast food meal isn't going to kill you. Eating it every day or even a once a week not good for you.

Eating any one food exclusively is not good for you.
                      sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

And of course, it depends on what kind of fast food you eat. Fried stuff is bad for you but sandwiches from a place like Subway are actually quite healthy. Depending on what you put in them of course.

Here we eat mostly wholemeal bread and rye bread in particular. A hamburger in a rye bun is a lot healthier than one in a standard bun!
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't need to have access to Spurlock's actual medical data to know that a diet consisting wholly of McDonald's food, especially such large quantities of food, is going to do terrible things to my body. It isn't a phobia, it's common sense. A simple look at how that "food" breaks down nutrition-wise is enough to tell me that. Fried, overly-processed, containing all the gods only know what chemicals, full of fat, salt and sugar. Check.

If you have the very occasional burger at McDonald's, it's not going to kill you (just like the occasional steak dinner or bacon sandwich won't either) but over a month? You bet it will wreck your health. Doesn't take a ton of medical data to prove that.
                          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Interesting read, and I think since the Supersize me documentary came out McD's has changed a few policies. I think prior to the movie they always asked if you wanted to Supersize your meal, now they don't. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he only order the supersize and extra shakes if they asked him if he wanted one? (which was basically all the time)

The movie opened some eyes and made people look at their diets. Sure 30 days of full time crap diet will be bad for you, but what about 10 years of eating like that 7-10 times a week? That's more difficult to document, but our countries weight problems when compared to everyone else speaks for itself a good bit.

It's all about moderation, I do love me some fast food but try to exercise a bit more when I eat it or opt to drink water instead of the sugar water.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X