X-Men 3: Why the hate? ( Spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-Men 3: Why the hate? ( Spoilers)

There seems to be a lot of hate on these forums for X-Men: The Last Stand. Why? I found it to be a very entertaining and thrilling film. If anything, too many scenes were cut out that should have been left in. I think the film was too rushed and would have benefited from a longer cut.

Yep. I loved it too.

A lot more than Superman Returns, which is what Singer went to do instead.

. . . Poor, poor Singer.
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

• 'Curing' Mystique for no particular reason, after she was such an important player in the first two movies
      • It pointlessly introduced tons of mutants who had little to do past having a 10 second VFX shot
      • Rather than 'X-Men 3', an ensemble film focusing on a team of mutants in a hostile world, it was really just 'The Wolverine and Storm Movie'
      • Too much emphasis on Storm because Halle Berry insisted on it after winning her Oscar--when Halle Berry was was one of the most horribly mis-cast actors in the franchise
      • Too much emphasis on Wolverine because the tools writing/producing/directing/financing it thought that all you need is Wolverine to do X-Men
      • It failed miserably at telling the Dark Phoenix story. Whether you look at it in terms of comic adaptation or story fulfilment of the previous movie, it frakking awful
      • It completely abandoned the mutant/gay allegory that had been done masterfully in the first two films, just to tell some stupid "cure" story that had no place in a film that should have been 100% about the Dark Phoenix
      • It jammed Magneto's anti-human war story in for no particular reason other than "oh yeah, we forgot about the first two movies doing that!"
      • It pointlessly killed off major characters....I have no problem with character deaths, but for when they happen for no reason at all (including Cyclops off-screen)
      • Rogue ceased to be an actual character with a story of her own, and was instead relegated to being a lovesick puppy with no mind of her own
      • Magneto's revolt was cumbersome and moronic. Rather than the deceptive, subtle, genius villain we'd gotten to know in the first two movies....he tears up the Golden Gate Bridge for no apparent reason.
      • Juggernaut isn't a mutant--so how was Leech able to harm him?
      • "I'm the Juggernaut, b*tch!" Pardon me while I go vomit.

No. This movie was a disaster from beginning to end, a waste of $210m, a waste of 90 minutes, and a waste of everyone involved's time. Every last copy of this movie deserves to be dumped into vats of manure (its own kind) and then shot into the sun, before all traces of it are erased from human memory.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

^
        That, but less harsh.

Reason for 'less harshness': Umm...Shadowcat was cute?
        sigpic

Comment

well, i agree that it could have been done loads better (magneto is no idiot going for open revolt, even more if they have this "cure-weapon" - no he would have done all that another way....like taking out a missile silo crew and launching against the cure facility....or by sneaking in and poisoning the "cure-child" etc.)

rogue: well...'nough said about that

cyclops....well didn't like him that much anyway (also he should have gotten an on-screen death)

dark phoenix story: well i would have loved for THAT to be tossed out (then the magneto part would have been able to expand more)

still it was at least way better then any of the spider-man movies (or other stuff like that)

greetings LAX

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            'Curing' Mystique for no particular reason, after she was such an important player in the first two movies
            It was important to the story, because it illustrated just how cold Magneto was and how he was going way too far. Mystique had been with him for a long time, she was his #1. As soon as she is cured (via weapon), he drops her like rotten fruit. No compassion, no goodbye, just, "I'm sorry, but you're not one of us anymore." Cold. Also, she wasn't cured for no reason, she saved Magneto from being cured.

It pointlessly introduced tons of mutants who had little to do past having a 10 second VFX shot
            Well, the movie is called The Last Stand. Brett Ratner wanted to give us a final battle between the X-Men and the Brotherhood.

Rather than 'X-Men 3', an ensemble film focusing on a team of mutants in a hostile world, it was really just 'The Wolverine and Storm Movie'
            Really? I seem to remember a whole array of X-Men characters being focused on. Wolverine is the star, obviously. Storm steps up after the deaths of Cyclops and Xavior, she's next in line to run the school. Xavior has a large role up to his death which is there to present how dangerous the Phoenix is. Jean Grey returns as the Phoenix, a secondary villain and the most powerful mutant ever encountered. Iceman has had an increasing role with more to do in each film, the same goes for Kitty Pryde (the girl who can walk through walls). Beast is also introduced with a substantial role. Magneto and Pyro shine with a lot to do, building up to the battle at Alcatraz Island. The only characters who really got short changed were Cyclops and Rogue. Cyclops was killed off early on due to the actor being unavailable, working on Superman Returns. As for Rogue... I have no idea why she just disappeared half way through the movie. Cure or not, she could have returned in time for the big finale. It's almost as if Brett Ratner didn't know what to do with her.

Too much emphasis on Storm because Halle Berry insisted on it after winning her Oscar--when Halle Berry was was one of the most horribly mis-cast actors in the franchise
            I like Halley Berry as Storm. With the death of Cyclops early on, it made sense for her to have a larger role.

Too much emphasis on Wolverine because the tools writing/producing/directing/financing it thought that all you need is Wolverine to do X-Men
            Well, Hugh Jackman is the star of the series. What do you expect? Should the movie star Halley Berry instead?

It failed miserably at telling the Dark Phoenix story. Whether you look at it in terms of comic adaptation or story fulfilment of the previous movie, it frakking awful
            I'm unfamiliar with the Dark Phoenix story of the comics. Why not judge the movie on it's own merits? Yes, it reinvisioned the story, but it had to be brought down to Earth for the movie goers (people like me who never read the comics) to buy what was going on. Seriously, what was so bad? I thought it was great! I just wish they'd kept the scene at the end where Magneto orders Jean to help, and she just ignores him. It's almost as if she was enjoying the slaughter waiting for her turn to go after everyone.

It completely abandoned the mutant/gay allegory that had been done masterfully in the first two films, just to tell some stupid "cure" story that had no place in a film that should have been 100% about the Dark Phoenix
            First off, I agree that this movie should have been all about the Phoenix. Save the cure for X4 with the Phoenix being the provocation. As for dropping the mutant/gay allegory, so what? Personally, I don't see the allegory as being exclusively gay. It speaks to anyone who stands apart from society. Perhaps you're poor, but your neighbors are wealthy. Perhaps your not very smart, but all your friends are college graduates. Alternatively, you could be so smart, that people shun you, because you make them feel stupid. The allegory speaks to everyone, not just gay people. And the cure does build upon this. Remember the scene where Rogue is excited about being cured? Enraged, Storm declares there's nothing wrong with her nor anyone else.

It jammed Magneto's anti-human war story in for no particular reason other than "oh yeah, we forgot about the first two movies doing that!"
            Jammed? If someone's got the cure to mutation, do you really think Magneto is not going to show up? If anything would draw his attention, it's the cure.

It pointlessly killed off major characters....I have no problem with character deaths, but for when they happen for no reason at all (including Cyclops off-screen)
            What pointless character deaths? The only deaths I can remember are Cyclops, Xavior, and Jean. The death of Cyclops was ambiguous. It's implied, but a body was never found, and we didn't see him die. Xavior's death was there to foreshadow what the Phoenix was capable of. Jean's death was... well... how else would you have stopped the Phoenix?

Rogue ceased to be an actual character with a story of her own, and was instead relegated to being a lovesick puppy with no mind of her own
            I'm totally with you. This was my biggest problem with the film.

Magneto's revolt was cumbersome and moronic. Rather than the deceptive, subtle, genius villain we'd gotten to know in the first two movies....he tears up the Golden Gate Bridge for no apparent reason.
            He has every reason to tear up and move the bridge; it's to show his full power, scare the humans into submission, and provide a means for reinforcements to come to the island.

Juggernaut isn't a mutant--so how was Leech able to harm him?
            Like the Phoenix, the character was changed to suit the movie.

No. This movie was a disaster from beginning to end, a waste of $210m, a waste of 90 minutes, and a waste of everyone involved's time. Every last copy of this movie deserves to be dumped into vats of manure (its own kind) and then shot into the sun, before all traces of it are erased from human memory.
            Disaster, waste of money and time? First off, it was 104 minutes, not 90. A lot can happen in 14 minutes. Second, the movie was one of the most successful films of 2006 and the most successful in the series (before Wolverine and First Class). You may wish to have every copy of the movie destroyed, but there are a lot of people who enjoy the movie. If you don't like it, that's cool. We can debate the pros and cons, or just the cons if you prefer. However, if other people like the movie... get over it.
            Last edited by Snowman37; 04 June 2011, 12:49 PM. Reason: Fixed quote code.

Comment

You asked the question. Don't act surprised when someone tells you everything that was wrong with this steaming pile of a movie.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I'm not surprised, I simply disagreed and argued against. It seems to me you are unable or unwilling to continue the argument. Interesting.

Comment

More a discussion than an argument really.
                  I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                  Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                    More a discussion than an argument really.
                    The film is on in a bit.
                    sigpic

Comment

personally i liked it but then i dont follow the comics so i dont know about things they might have messed up.
                      sigpic
                      The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Its a summer movie like most superhero movies is all about action and special effects. I don't get the comic comparassion. Most of them are contradicted by the comics all the time. I will admit the overuse of Wolverine but that is a problem with all the movies
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

my only real problem with the film was the Phoenix story. That was an awful way to bring in Phoenix. Jean Grey (according to the comic) is supposed to be in a coma-ish state of some sort while the phoenix force takes over

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            • 'Curing' Mystique for no particular reason, after she was such an important player in the first two movies
                            • It pointlessly introduced tons of mutants who had little to do past having a 10 second VFX shot
                            • Rather than 'X-Men 3', an ensemble film focusing on a team of mutants in a hostile world, it was really just 'The Wolverine and Storm Movie'
                            • Too much emphasis on Storm because Halle Berry insisted on it after winning her Oscar--when Halle Berry was was one of the most horribly mis-cast actors in the franchise
                            • Too much emphasis on Wolverine because the tools writing/producing/directing/financing it thought that all you need is Wolverine to do X-Men
                            • It failed miserably at telling the Dark Phoenix story. Whether you look at it in terms of comic adaptation or story fulfilment of the previous movie, it frakking awful
                            • It completely abandoned the mutant/gay allegory that had been done masterfully in the first two films, just to tell some stupid "cure" story that had no place in a film that should have been 100% about the Dark Phoenix
                            • It jammed Magneto's anti-human war story in for no particular reason other than "oh yeah, we forgot about the first two movies doing that!"
                            • It pointlessly killed off major characters....I have no problem with character deaths, but for when they happen for no reason at all (including Cyclops off-screen)
                            • Rogue ceased to be an actual character with a story of her own, and was instead relegated to being a lovesick puppy with no mind of her own
                            • Magneto's revolt was cumbersome and moronic. Rather than the deceptive, subtle, genius villain we'd gotten to know in the first two movies....he tears up the Golden Gate Bridge for no apparent reason.
                            • Juggernaut isn't a mutant--so how was Leech able to harm him?
                            • "I'm the Juggernaut, b*tch!" Pardon me while I go vomit.

this, im especially angry at this movie after seeing how awesome first class was...
                            Last edited by Puddle-Jumper; 04 June 2011, 02:38 PM.
                            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by JanineGrant2 View Post
                              my only real problem with the film was the Phoenix story. That was an awful way to bring in Phoenix. Jean Grey (according to the comic) is supposed to be in a coma-ish state of some sort while the phoenix force takes over
                              This was my major problem with the movie. I never really followed the comics myself, but I remember watching the cartoon as a kid and hated that Dark Phoenix was dumbed down so much. All the points that DigiFluid made are good reasons to not like the movie too.
                              "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                              - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X