Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last minute cancellation, why the ending was rushed...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last minute cancellation, why the ending was rushed...

According to GateWorld, the show was cancelled during the filming of "Bad Guys." This left only four episodes to wrap up the series, and I think the next two or three were already scripted. I don't imagine we'd have "Family Ties" if there was time to devote more of the final four episodes to ending the show. "Dominion" and "Unending" seem to be an attempt to end the series while leaving it open. The show was so massively popular, MGM took a gamble on a pair of direct-to-video movies. This lead to The Ark of Truth (104 minutes) and Continuum (94 minutes).

I think they did a pretty good job of ending the show, don't you?

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    According to GateWorld, the show was cancelled during the filming of "Bad Guys." This left only four episodes to wrap up the series, and I think the next two or three were already scripted. I don't imagine we'd have "Family Ties" if there was time to devote more of the final four episodes to ending the show. "Dominion" and "Unending" seem to be an attempt to end the series while leaving it open. The show was so massively popular, MGM took a gamble on a pair of direct-to-video movies. This lead to The Ark of Truth (104 minutes) and Continuum (94 minutes).

I think they did a pretty good job of ending the show, don't you?
    i don't know if it's ever really 'ended', b/c it keeps being revisited, like on sga and sgu. and then it gets more frustrating, b/c then you want to know more of what's happening with sg1 (and earth), and it's not being focused on for itself.

~without spoilers, what's happened in some of the sgu eps makes me VERY interested in knowing how sg1/earth is dealing.~
    sally

sigpic

Comment

By ending, I'm talking SG-1 as a series, not guest appearances on other series.

Comment

By ending, I'm talking SG-1 as a series, not guest appearances on other series.
        okay. i guess i just looked beyond the series itself and was looking at the storyline, which seemed to not end b/c it kept (thankfully) popping up on other series.
        sally

sigpic

Comment

Besides the Lucian Alliance on SGU, what storylines were continued?

Comment

Besides the Lucian Alliance on SGU, what storylines were continued?
            Keeping the Stargate Program a secret was mentioned a few times.

Stones were brought back.

O'Neill is technically in charge.

Minor things.

Comment

Those weren't really storylines, though. When I think of storylines; I think of the Goa'uld, Replicators, Ori, Asgard, NID / Trust, Tok'ra, character arcs, and so on. The SGC being secret isn't really a storyline, it's just being consistent with SG-1. The stones aren't a storyline, it's just reusing an element from another series. Now, I'll give you O'Neill, but... that's just a crossover. We didn't learn anything new about O'Neill that we didn't already know on SG-1.

One storyline that did get continued past SG-1's ending was the return of the Asgard for two Atlantis episodes. That was great!

To get back on topic, did you think the last four episodes and the two movies brought enough closure?

Comment

Actually the syfy execs were sitting in their lair and plotting to overthrow something and they chose stargate......you know people ACTUALLY believe that!

Comment

I think they did a pretty good job of giving closure to SG-1 yet leaving the future open, as Continuum ended with them going on another adventure.
                  sigpic

Comment

I didn't actually read this thread in its entirety because I wanted to avoid spoilers given it's my first time through the series. One thing I do know is that the finale is only 45 minutes. In all honestly, I couldn't think of a better way to feel ripped off after such an epic series. It easily deserves a 90 minute finale. BSG got close to 2 hours and that only went for 4 seasons.

Comment

i liked the way that they ended sg-1, it left it open for more stories but all major plot points were answered by the movies. i think that if we ever do get a new stargate movie it should be about sga or sgu because sg-1 in my mind ended. that being said i would love to see the characters again, and i'm happy that they made appearances in the other shows.

as for the series sg-1 having watched it for the first time last year, i got the feeling that the knew that they were going to make movies, so instead of rushing the ending in the actual tv show, they extended it to the movie. which worked a lot better.
                      sigpic

Comment

At the end of Season 5, they thought they were going to be cancelled, until Syfy picked up the series. Then at the end of Season 7, they thought they were going to be cancelled, and they ended the season with "Lost City", which they intended to be the series finale and then make a movie to wrap up that story. Moebius was done in a way that it could have wrapped up the entire series, but they got picked up for Season 9, which ended with "Camelot" and Sam suspended in space near the supergate. That could have been a good series ender and resolved in a movie. I don't feel that "Unending" made a good series finale at all. Given that they kept expecting to be cancelled, it seemed to me they would have been prepared for cancellation with something far better than "Unending".

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                          I didn't actually read this thread in its entirety because I wanted to avoid spoilers given it's my first time through the series. One thing I do know is that the finale is only 45 minutes. In all honestly, I couldn't think of a better way to feel ripped off after such an epic series. It easily deserves a 90 minute finale. BSG got close to 2 hours and that only went for 4 seasons.
                          They wrapped things up in the first SG-1 movie...which is why the final episode was only a regular length episode.
                          sigpic

Comment

Stargate is "Unending"; there will always be threats out there.

The series finale was fitting since it focused on the characters as a team, which is what we loved since the start. They let "The Ark Of Truth" wrap up the Ori storyline in an extended film format, which is what it really needed.

They actually got 2 finales. Or rather, we did. Like I said, Stargate lives on whether we witness it or not.

Comment

I liked unending it wasn't as good as Gauntlet but I still liked it.

P.S. 1000th post, Awesome .

Comment

Working...
                              X