The Best Endings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Best Endings

What shows, in your opinion, had the best endings? For me, the best way a science-fiction show could end is with a built up to the grand finale.

Jericho: I don't remember the series that well, but the first season ended on a massive cliffhanger. The second season was only seven episodes and basically serves to end the series. So much goes on in this short, conclusive season.

Roswell: Knowing the third season would be the last, the final seven episodes brought extreme changes and ultimately conclusion to the series. It wasn't a straight up seven-episode arc, but each episode had direct consequences on the next.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: When the seventh began, it was advertised as the final season. In the spring, there were endless promos of The Final Chapter. The Final Chapter featured eight episodes in a serial format that lead up to an epic two-hour finale to bring the series full closure. Of any series I've followed, this had the most satisfied ending, because there was so much going on.

Can you name any other shows that ended with a multi-episode saga?

Well, excepting the final season of Universe for fairness...

"Sleeping in Light," the finale to Babylon 5, and all that ran up to it. Especially the "Objects..." two-parter.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Farscape: the conclusion, via the Peacekeeper Wars mini-series/movie, was very well done, IMHO.
      It wrapped up the major arcs, but left the universe pretty 'open' (as proven by the ongoing comic series )
      If I have a complaint about it, its that it was too short (wasn't PKW something like 'season 5'?).

Firefly: via Serenity. Good movie. I kinda wish there were more... (sorta. there's that nagging thought that, had Firefly been longer, the quality might have degraded *shrugs*)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: the 'falling action' of the series lasted a few episodes (well, each episode of the 110 episode series is only around 20 minutes long) and had it's fair share of ups and downs.
      It wraps up the series quite well with its somewhat sad, yet hope-filled, ending.
      (the last scene feels a bit similar, in a way, to PKW's)

re: ST: DS9
      I don't recall seeing the end. While it's my favourite among the ST stuff (not really a fan of the ST universe), I was never able to see all of it. (just what was on TV at the time, when I was able to catch it)
      Someday...

re: B5
      I really have to get around to watching it...
      (I've only seen a few episodes and some of the movies, like the one w/ the Excalibur, I think, and the attack on Earth. Also, the one w/ an exorcism ...then again, that's more or less how I started w/ SG-1: I saw AoT and Continuum first, and Farscape, before really caring about the series )
      sigpic

Comment

I really liked "All Good Things..." from STar Trek: TNG.
        "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

Babylon 5 without a doubt, followed by DS9 and BSG (2003). Each of them had a very intense run-up to the finale.
          sigpic

Comment

The best ending, probably have to go to Babylon 5, the 4th season ending.

Deepspace 9 and Farscape had good endings.

Space above and beyond has a brilliant ending a season final, which was basically sending everyone to there graves.
            The Event has a good season final as well.

So few scifi shows get a chance to write there own natural ending.

Through I think SGA had a pretty good ending, the team completed there mission and all.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
              Farscape: the conclusion, via the Peacekeeper Wars mini-series/movie, was very well done, IMHO.
              It wrapped up the major arcs, but left the universe pretty 'open' (as proven by the ongoing comic series )
              If I have a complaint about it, its that it was too short (wasn't PKW something like 'season 5'?).
              The Peacekeeper Wars was a miniseries that followed the series. I'm asking about series endings, not what came after. In terms of the series itself... what did you think of the ending (as in before the miniseries)? As for the miniseries being a fifth season... no... It was two 90-minute movies which equates four episodes. You could call it a miniseries or a two-part movie, but a fifth season? Too short.

Firefly: via Serenity. Good movie. I kinda wish there were more... (sorta. there's that nagging thought that, had Firefly been longer, the quality might have degraded *shrugs*)
              Like my comment to Farscape, this wasn't part of the series, it was a movie based on the series. What did you think of the show's finale, "Objects in Space?"

re: ST: DS9
              I don't recall seeing the end. While it's my favourite among the ST stuff (not really a fan of the ST universe), I was never able to see all of it. (just what was on TV at the time, when I was able to catch it)
              You should see it on DVD from start to finish. Great series, and the big "Final Chapter" saga that ended the series... you just can't wait till that next episode, it's so suspenseful.

Originally posted by Infinite-Possibilities View Post
              I really liked "All Good Things..." from STar Trek: TNG.
              It was a great finale, but I didn't like that when it ended... nothing really happened except for Picard and Q. It would have been nice for the present day crew to remember what happened. That said, it was a fun 90-minute romp into would could have been and what could be. I think this episode deliberately left everything wide open, because Generations was already in preproduction.

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              The best ending, probably have to go to Babylon 5, the 4th season ending.
              Wasn't the show on for five years?

Through I think SGA had a pretty good ending, the team completed there mission and all.
              Though the episode was intended to be a season finale, it does work as a series finale. When the show began, I called the finale... I predicted that Atlantis would be flown back to Earth in the series finale, whenever that be. I was thrilled when I saw this come to pass.

Comment

Babylon 5- 4th season ender was epic and 5th season ender was emotionally heavy.

Buffy- very epic showdown and conclusion, some of it was a bit much.

Angel- 'the fight continues' was very epic. Would have loved to know how it concluded but it left it hanging and was as good.

Serenity- that was a great conclusion to an awesome series but I really wish they had continued the series, there was so much more to explore.

Dollhouse- I didn't really like the series but was really surprised by the ending of this series, it was pretty awesome.

Superman The Animated Series- I remembered really liking the end of this series when I was a kid, where he battles Darkseid. But I forget it, should rewatch.

Cowboy Bebop- only thing I didn't like was the character death and the breaking up of the band.

Comment

"Bad Timing" could have worked as a finale for Farcsape. And it was one for a while. But let me just say I am sooooooooo glad we got Peacekeeper Wars. IMO, It actually was kind of fun (and perhaps bizarrely fitting) having such a shockingly tragic, and strangely unusual conclusion for Farscape for the time before PK Wars was announced, but I suspect I wouldn't be saying that if it still was the real end of the franchise.

Aside from a couple of issues with the plot near the end, I thought The Peacekeeper Wars did an amazing job finishing the story, especially considering what they had to do in the time they had..
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

DS9 had a fantastic ending. It really brought things full circle.

I wish that there could have been some feature films that followed up on the show.

Comment

Babylon 5, Farscape and Jeremiah
                      Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

The re-imagined Battlestar Galactica had a fantastic ending, as did Lost. I think that, all things considered, both Stargate Universe and Firefly had great endings, especially given the fact that they were not supposed to be that way.

In terms of non-sci-fi shows, Prison Break, Rome and 24 both had brilliant endings, especially Prison Break.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                          [I]

Wasn't the show on for five years?

D
                          Not in my mind.

Comment

someone mentioned SGA, eh it was too rushed and i hate saying that being that its my favorite show of all time.

SGU and SG1 had extremely beautifuly done endings
                            Go Preds Go

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                              not in my mind.
                              o...k...

Comment

Working...
                              X