Destiny, hyperspace, and FTL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny, hyperspace, and FTL.

Anyone else notice that although the Destiny does not travel through hyperspace it does have the colorful animation surrounding it that I assumed represented hyperspace? If it's not hyperspace then what is it? A mistake?
    Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Perhaps its meant to signify the multitude of gases, particles, debris etc that the ship passes through at these speeds, kind of like a boat going through water.

Comment

Ships in hyperspace don't have any type of fancy effect going on. They are clearly going through a subspace passage, like a tunnel. For me, it's pretty much what Escyos said, we're seeing the distortion of space around the ship. I wouldn't say a boat through water, more like a plane through clouds when you can see the distortion of air around the wings if you ever look out the window (which I do, as middle and aisle seats suck).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
        Perhaps its meant to signify the multitude of gases, particles, debris etc that the ship passes through at these speeds, kind of like a boat going through water.
        I would have to agree
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          Ships in hyperspace don't have any type of fancy effect going on. They are clearly going through a subspace passage, like a tunnel. For me, it's pretty much what Escyos said, we're seeing the distortion of space around the ship. I wouldn't say a boat through water, more like a plane through clouds when you can see the distortion of air around the wings if you ever look out the window (which I do, as middle and aisle seats suck).
          From the observation deck looking out it kinda reminded me of the hyperspace effect. I was confused by it.
          Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Comment

It could simply be the "FTL field" or whatever you wanna call it.
            sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rylor View Post
              It could simply be the "FTL field" or whatever you wanna call it.
              I was reading up on it and found out that the animation is actually light breaking up around the hull because the ship is traveling FTL the light beams themselves give the "boat effect" of a wake.

Comment

Originally posted by Onealwasoverrated View Post
                I was reading up on it and found out that the animation is actually light breaking up around the hull because the ship is traveling FTL the light beams themselves give the "boat effect" of a wake.
                I am curious: Where did you read that?
                sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rylor View Post
                  I am curious: Where did you read that?
                  I can't remember sorry. It does make sense though. A boat has a wake because it travels through water faster than the water is moving, FTW (lol) so if you travel FTW and get a wake of water being pushed out of the way it stands to reason that when traveling FTL you get a wake of light that's been pushed out of the way. Also a similar effect to a boats hull breaking the water and forcing it around it, which is the idea of the animation seen around the ship.

Comment

Read this message I made.
                    http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...1#post12661365

Has anyone considered that Destiny may use something closer to Warp Drive (Alcubierre Drive)? It creates a bubble of normal space around the ship so time stays normal on the ship while it is "Warping" or compressing space in front of the ship and expanding it behind the ship so it can go faster then light. Nothing in physics says space it's self can't go faster then light. While this is currently impossible at our state of technological development it wouldn't be impossible for the Ancients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
                    Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
                    End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by bfldworker View Post
                      Read this message I made.
                      http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...1#post12661365

Has anyone considered that Destiny may use something closer to Warp Drive (Alcubierre Drive)? It creates a bubble of normal space around the ship so time stays normal on the ship while it is "Warping" or compressing space in front of the ship and expanding it behind the ship so it can go faster then light. Nothing in physics says space it's self can't go faster then light. While this is currently impossible at our state of technological development it wouldn't be impossible for the Ancients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive
                      That looks pretty theoretical in this universe at least.

Comment

Right now in this universe anything dealing with faster then light travel, communication and Subspace is theoretical.
                        Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
                        End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by bfldworker View Post
                          Right now in this universe anything dealing with faster then light travel, communication and Subspace is theoretical.
                          Yea but they make more sense to me personally than that theoretical drive. Bending space time in a drive system? Right now it's merely a mathematical model according to the link. I'd think that even as advanced as the SG universe and ancients are, any working version of that theory would be pretty advanced as far as the mechanics involved. We're talking about changing the universe around something, not just providing propulsion. Since in that model you'd be effectively "surfing" time/space it probably wouldn't have a vectored drive at the rear like Destiny, and trying to navigate would provide another hurdle. I look at that model and theory as simply a theory of a way that might work, but would be much to complicated to implement even in the current SG universe, maybe ever.

Comment

Yes it is a mathematical proof and completely theoretical. However lets look back at the last 100 years of our history and technological advances. Nuclear weapons were theoretical until Project Trinity was deemed successful, Human Space Flight was theoretical until Yuri Gagarin came back alive and well. Planets orbiting other stars was theoretical until we found proof of such planets existed. Everything is theoretical until proven. However the math does state and even big theorists say that it can be possible if a "bubble" of normal space time is around the ship. And with that traveling faster the light will cancel out the time dilation effect
                            End of line.

Comment

Most of the previous tech history also shows that many things that worked "by the" math can't work in reality yet because we lack the mechanical means to induce the conditions needed for it to work. Example, gasoline engine, simple combustion based machine. We can do that. Manipulating space and time? Barely mechanically possible in the SG universe and completely impossible in the real universe. Use space/time manipulation for propulsion? Pretty tall order even in the SG universe and only not even practically conceivable in the real universe at this time.

Comment

Working...
                              X