PDA

View Full Version : Some Gorgeous Pictures of Destiny

lmoroney
May 26th, 2011, 08:04 AM
You may remember the Destiny Photosynths that I built way back when.

What you may not realize is that the original photos of Destiny that were used to make the synths looked much different. The pictures were touched up to remove green screens and to 'darken' them to match the mood of the early episodes in particular. You'll notice as time went on, the sets got a little brighter.

Anyway, the pictures were taken by the immensely talented Brad Laughton, and you can see some of the originals on his site here:

http://www.bradlaughton.com/

Brad originally wasn't a Stargate fan, but after his visit to the sets, he became one. :)

His first encounter with Stargate was a funny one. We met at the gates, and were let in by security, with vague instructions where to meet the crew. It was something along the lines of 'turn left', 'first building on right', 'go in' 'upstairs'.

So we follow those instructions (at least we thought we did), and enter a building. We enter, and it's pitch dark. It's 6AM, so we figure nobody has turned on the lights yet.

We bumble around looking for a light switch, but can't, so I take out my laptop, with the aim of using it's screen as light, and what do I see but...

The gate room on Atlantis.

We were in the wrong place. A cool place...but the wrong place :)

I have a bunch more (several thousand in fact), and a few more funny stories to boot...

When we showed these pictures to Brad and Robert, they loved them, but they were a bit miffed...they wanted high resolution photographs, not paintings. I told them that these -are- photographs, and their answer was unprintable, but the first word was 'holy..'

Pharaoh Atem
May 26th, 2011, 08:20 AM
http://www.bradlaughton.com/stargate-photosynth-stills/photos-pi_8.html

Look like someone finally turned on the lights

Atlantean2005
May 26th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Wow. Those are simply AMAZING!! I really wish I had been lucky enough to get to visit the sets! Wow. Guess I'll just have to get creative and build my own in a warehouse somewhere!! haha :D

General Jumper One
May 26th, 2011, 02:36 PM
The link does NOT work!!!!

lmoroney
May 26th, 2011, 04:38 PM
It's working for me...

AtlantisRules!!!
May 26th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Wow. It looks awesome all lit up.

General Jumper One
May 27th, 2011, 04:50 AM
It's working for me...

It working now.

morrismike
May 28th, 2011, 04:20 AM
http://www.bradlaughton.com/stargate-photosynth-stills/photos-pi_8.html

Look like someone finally turned on the lights

How cool would the show have been with typical shipboard lighting? Those sets are fantastic. What were TPTW thinking by never letting us see them?

lmoroney
May 28th, 2011, 05:25 AM
How cool would the show have been with typical shipboard lighting? Those sets are fantastic. What were TPTW thinking by never letting us see them?

They did...the photosynths show the sets in a detail never seen before, never seen since...

morrismike
May 28th, 2011, 03:56 PM
They did...the photosynths show the sets in a detail never seen before, never seen since...
Ships are the most illuminated places you'll ever see. Destiny was a cave to make us think it was dark.