• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George Lucas hopes to revolutionize the film industry again

Though perhaps not in the way you might first assume he means:

Star Wars TV Series Will Help Movies Be Made
    George Lucas is ready to revolutionize motion picture ... again

George Lucas is out promoting his upcoming 3-D conversion project of his Star Wars trilogies, but he can't avoid talk on when -- if ever -- fans will get to see a live-action Star Wars television series.

The project, Lucas told G4, is sitting on a shelf, waiting for technology to catch up. But his dream is to produce picture quality superior to that of huge blockbuster movies for a fraction of the cost. And that's technology that could someday cut the cost to create big-budget films from $200 million to just $50 million.

"We are just waiting to figure out a different way of making movies," Lucas said of his live-action series, adding that 50 episodes are ready to go. "We're looking for a different technology to use, something economically feasible to shoot the show. Right now, it looks like the Star Wars features. We just have to figure out a way of making it at a tenth of the cost of the feature, because it's television."

It's the kind of struggles that science-fiction television programs face now, with large per-episode budgets thanks to hefty special effects. Yet, if Lucas can find that magic technology, its use could expand quickly to the big screen.

"When we do sort of figure this problem out, it will dramatically affect a lot of movie," Lucas said. "A lot of movies that are shooting for $150 million to $200 million will be able to be made for $50 million to $60 million."

And if there is a filmmaker that can figure out how to do it, it's Lucas. Although he's not exactly the best script writer to ever walk through Hollywood, his innovations in filmmaking have changed how movies are made more than once. In fact, just a decade ago, he was pushing movie theaters to upgrade to digital technology -- something many in the industry resisted. Today, it's hard to find a theater that has not converted to digital.

In the meantime, Lucas has been working meticulously to convert his recent Star Wars features into 3-D, which will kick off with the theatrical release of "Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace" next February. The other two films in that trilogy will follow.

Lucas said that there are two kinds of 3-D that exist. The kind many of us remember as kids where objects come out of the screen as if hitting the audience in the face. And the kind like Jim Cameron's "Avatar," which used 3-D to provide a visual depth to the film.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Lucas has revolutionised the industry. His latest gift, milking a franchise for all it's worth.

I know he keeps saying it costs too much right now, but I'd like to see him at least try making a pilot for a series using current TV budgets. It would be more expensive than a single episode (as pilots usually are thanks to all the sets and crap being built) but it would ultimately pay for itself once he starts selling it on DVD.

Enough done for 50 episodes (scripts probably) shows they are serious about it so perhaps all that is needed is to stop worrying about the costs and take a leap of faith.

sigpic

Comment

Star Wars is not my overall favorite franchise but it would be sweet to see a live action series could never go into clone wars (animation and all is not my cup of tea)... in which time should to series take place? between III and IV ? or after VI or after I ? I would like to see the story go beyond VI with Lukes children being Jedis and establish the new Jedi order... that would mean no Yoda etc. etc. but still it would be pretty interesting in my opinion.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
        in which time should to series take place? between III and IV ?
        It's already been made clear that this is when the live-action series is set
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

in which time should to series take place? between III and IV ?I would like to see the story go beyond VI with Lukes children being Jedis and establish the new Jedi order
          Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          I was pretty into Star Wars in High School, and still love IV - VI and I enjoyed I - III as well, but this placement doesn't sound too interesting. That being said, it's Star Wars and GL so I'll watch it and likely Love It if it every happens!

I would like to see the story go beyond VI with Lukes children being Jedis and establish the new Jedi order
          This would be my first choice as well, so many possibilities!
          sigpic

Comment

thanks! Did not know that...
            sigpic

Comment

So it sounds like it is going to take forever to get the Live-Action Series.

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
              This would be my first choice as well, so many possibilities!
              There is books out there about Luke's New Jedi Order. The Expanded Universe of Star Wars is very large and fun! You should try some out(comics or books). They all over the place in quality though, some are amazing and some are okay. (and believe it or not the books/comics and video games are considered canon)

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                (and believe it or not the books/comics and video games are considered canon)
                Weeeeeeeeellllllllll, sort of

Comment

Weeeeeeeeellllllllll, sort of
                  Yeah, but I wasn't going to say that.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    There is books out there about Luke's New Jedi Order. The Expanded Universe of Star Wars is very large and fun! You should try some out(comics or books). They all over the place in quality though, some are amazing and some are okay. (and believe it or not the books/comics and video games are considered canon)
                    That's exactly why I don't want any movies set after VI.

I like the idea that Lucas can do whatever he want between I-VI but everything outside that is left to the EU writers. I'm really enjoying him fleshing out the Clone Wars and I look forward to the TV series giving us a better look at "the dark times" as Obi Wan put it. I can't see Lucas writing a movie based on someone else's work and would be more likely to write his own. Then one thing is overlooked and included in the script and as a result 20 years of canon is undone because of it.

sigpic

Comment

Books, comics and games cover Old republic (wars with Siths, then from 50 or so BBY to EIII with litle comics and books during the early Empire and them more cover from 5BBY to like 40 or 50 ABY (I do not like the Vong war and later era) and then there is the Legacy Era (comics) from 137 ABY, so Lucas could make new Movies situated during the gap (like adventures of Ben Skywalker and his family )

Comment

Most of the money spent on Hollywood features are for the actors, very expensive and often over price. over Half the costs in some cases, for instant pirate of the Caribbean films.

I think the only reason he not making the TV show, and it got nothing to do with how much they will costs to make.

An everything to do with milking the current material, why spend at least a 100 million on setting up a new TV show, 4 million dollars an episode which is a pretty decent budget, when there 6 films which can be converted to 3d, and each one will earn hundreds of milions when they are re release at the cinema, and the DVD and blue ray releases of the films and I am pretty sure there will be 3D game release to coincide with each film as well, the bloke knows how to milk a franchise.

An then there is a Animated series, books and games keep the merchandise and licensing money coming in pretty nicely, with minimal investment.

I do not believe a word he says about it being to expensive to produce for a TV show.

Whole and you only have to look at films like District 9, Monsters, and Skyline to see good films with blockbuster graphics produce at a fraction of the price of Hollywood blockbuster, so I reckon he talking out of his ass about costs or he just behind the current technology available, and new ways of filming and producing content.

Just look at Sanctuary will tell you alone that just doubling the budget of a sanctuary episode will get you upto the required standards for star wars tv series. Even SGU demonstrated the level of graphics you can achieve for a modest Cable budget show. I think a star wars show would be on the main networks, and the main networks would chew each other harm off to get it, and pay over the odds for it. An the Merchandise sales would mean he would easily make his investment back, probably many times over.

Comment

Working...
                        X