Sister Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sister Cities

How many sister cities did we see? I've revisited the first two seasons. Season 2 featured "The Tower," a city similar to Atlantis, but it had become buried in land and vegetation of the millennia. In Season 3's "Progeny," we're introduced to the Asuran civilization which featured at least one Atlantis-like city. Finally, the Asuran rebels had their own duplicate Atlantis. Aside from "The Tower" and Asuran cities, did we see any other Atlantis sister cities? It's been years since I've seen the later seasons.

Nope thats it.

Comment

It would have been interesting for the expedition to find a few more Atlantis-type cities in Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        It would have been interesting for the expedition to find a few more Atlantis-type cities in Pegasus.
        I disagree, because what made Atlantis special in the first place was that it IS Atlantis. The existence of the city of the Asurans is ok, because they "are" the Ancients and of course you wouldn't find them living together. But the sister city in THE TOWER was so pointless and a badly written episode anyway.
        Blue is such a nice color, especially if you have wings.

Comment

Originally posted by Skie View Post
          I disagree, because what made Atlantis special in the first place was that it IS Atlantis. The existence of the city of the Asurans is ok, because they "are" the Ancients and of course you wouldn't find them living together. But the sister city in THE TOWER was so pointless and a badly written episode anyway.
          I find it kind of hard to believe that the ancients built only one city. Atlantis IS Atlantis, but there could have been other similar cities with different names throughout the Pegasus Galaxy. I had the impression from that hologram thingy on Atlantis that described the war with the wraith, that there were other outposts in the Pegasus Galaxy where other ancients lived, and that Atlantis was the last of those. Though it is distinctly possible I'm misremembering that bit; it wouldn't be the first time (or the last).

However, I do agree with your comment about "The Tower" being badly written and pointless. Just watched it again this week, and kept finding bits through that just didn't make much sense at all. Oh well.

And going slightly off topic, I'd like to have seen our expedition meet some of those more advanced civilizations that Fran/Elizabeth mentioned in "Ghost in the Machine" that her group had come across in their travels.

Comment

I find it kind of hard to believe that the ancients built only one city. Atlantis IS Atlantis, but there could have been other similar cities with different names throughout the Pegasus Galaxy. I had the impression from that hologram thingy on Atlantis that described the war with the wraith, that there were other outposts in the Pegasus Galaxy where other ancients lived, and that Atlantis was the last of those. Though it is distinctly possible I'm misremembering that bit; it wouldn't be the first time (or the last).
            HOLOGRAM: (...) In time, a thousand worlds bore the fruit of life in this form. Then one day our people stepped foot upon a dark world where a terrible enemy slept. Never before had we encountered beings with powers that rivalled our own. In our over-confidence, we were unprepared and outnumbered. The enemy fed upon defenceless human worlds like a great scourge until finally only Atlantis remained. This city's great shield was powerful enough to withstand their terrible weapons but here we were besieged for many years. In an effort to save the last of our kind, we submerged our great city into the ocean. (...)

Yes, I wouldn't mind outposts like the one in INFERNO. That would make sense of course but I would let Atlantis be the ONLY big city. Probably she meant outposts or Ancient settlements when she said "(...) until finally only Atlantis remained". But I don't think there were any other cities because she also said "This city's great shield was powerful enough to withstand their terrible weapons but here we were besieged for many years." So if hey had other cities like Atlantis, they would have been also protected by a shield and able to withstand the attacks of the Wraith. And she also said "The Atlantis Stargate was the one and only link back to Earth from this galaxy, (...)". So Atlantis was certainly the only big city with a Stargate being able to dial back to Earth.

However, I do agree with your comment about "The Tower" being badly written and pointless. Just watched it again this week, and kept finding bits through that just didn't make much sense at all. Oh well.
            The only point was to let Atlantis get their hands on more PJ and drones. How lazy and unimaginative of TPTB. Oh well, it wasn't the first and last time.

And going slightly off topic, I'd like to have seen our expedition meet some of those more advanced civilizations that Fran/Elizabeth mentioned in "Ghost in the Machine" that her group had come across in their travels.
            I don't know about that. Wouldn't they have showed up a long time ago to unite with the other PG humans to launch an attack against the Wraith. And if they didn't care about that, then I'm not sure if I want to meet them.

Comment

I don't know about that. Wouldn't they have showed up a long time ago to unite with the other PG humans to launch an attack against the Wraith. And if they didn't care about that, then I'm not sure if I want to meet them.
              And that could have provided a rather good story. Finding one of these civilizations, finding out they want to be left alone, and aren't willing to help and so forth could have provided some great conflict between them and the Atlantis group. At the very least, just maybe they could have given our people a few ideas on how to protect themselves. Whether they'd have been willing to share technology would have been a big point of dispute. Especially how they managed to keep themselves hidden from the wraith.

Otherwise, I agree with your thought about them.

I would just have liked to see a few more civilizations that weren't living in the middle ages or in what looked to be early 1900's, but were at least as advanced as earth and maybe a bit more so.

Would love to find out how the Aschen or the Tollan would have managed against the wraith.

Comment

And that could have provided a rather good story. Finding one of these civilizations, finding out they want to be left alone, and aren't willing to help and so forth could have provided some great conflict between them and the Atlantis group. At the very least, just maybe they could have given our people a few ideas on how to protect themselves. Whether they'd have been willing to share technology would have been a big point of dispute. Especially how they managed to keep themselves hidden from the wraith.

Otherwise, I agree with your thought about them.
                I see your point. But wouldn't it have made a great twist if they made contact with one more advanced civilization only to find out later that they worked together with the Wraith, providing them intel about the advancement level of the human civilizations in the PG. Thereby protecting themselves from the Wraith. Sorta like the ones in CONDEMNED. And we did see "not wanna share technology" with the Asurans. But I don't think so many civilizations could have managed that. Otherwise you have to wonder what the Wraith do or better not do by missing so many civilizations. But would be also kind of boring "ah those did it, and those and those". Maybe just show one civilization. BTW, we kind of saw such a civilization, I mean the travelers were quite advanced and they stayed hidden.

Comment

Great debate you two!

I have to agree that The Tower was quite atrocious. It's one of those episodes that I'm fine with only seeing once.

If I may... It always infuriated me that, for example, Atlantis is powered by ZPMs, but the only way to get ZPMs is to go on a scavenger hunt around the galaxy. Where were they fabricated? Where were the ships built? Where was that massive defense satellite built? We never saw anything resembling an Ancient factory, or plant. There had to be loads of manufacturing facilities somewhere. Did all this stuff just magically appear?

I think they could have delved into that and opened up a lot of possibilities that would be more interesting than the same old, same old Wraith/Replicator/Genii jargon.

I'm still of the opinion that the ancients were a bit thick.

Comment

When it comes to badly written episodes, The Tower doesn't even come close to EATG. On the bright side, Earth is in the market for a new chair platform and "The Towers" chair is just ripe for the pickin. Assuming of course Earths ZPM and atleast a few drones survived.

Comment

Originally posted by Starfighter Babe View Post
                      Great debate you two!
                      Thanks!

If I may... It always infuriated me that, for example, Atlantis is powered by ZPMs, but the only way to get ZPMs is to go on a scavenger hunt around the galaxy. Where were they fabricated? Where were the ships built? Where was that massive defense satellite built? We never saw anything resembling an Ancient factory, or plant. There had to be loads of manufacturing facilities somewhere. Did all this stuff just magically appear?
                      Didn't you know that the Ancients conjured all their technology up if they needed it. They just lost the war because they run out of the magic powder necessary for it.

I think they could have delved into that and opened up a lot of possibilities that would be more interesting than the same old, same old Wraith/Replicator/Genii jargon.
                      There were so many missed opportunities in SGA, I don't think I wanna start, otherwise I'll be here until midnight.
                      However, one could argue that the Wraith destroyed them, BUT then a) you should at least find some remains/ruins b) the Wraith would have certainly tried to adapt some of the tech, so you should see that too or c) find factories still in use by the Wraith, now that would have made a cool story.

I'm still of the opinion that the ancients were a bit thick.
                      No wonder we get that kind of impression because first it seemed the Ancients lost the war due to an equally powerful enemy. But later they downgraded the Wraith that badly that it didn't make any sense that they lost. Cloning, yeah sure, if I cloned tons of warriors with arrow and bow they still would loose against a few with MGs, geeze. A bit a crude example but hope, you get my drift.

Comment

Thanks!

Didn't you know that the Ancients conjured all their technology up if they needed it. They just lost the war because they run out of the magic powder necessary for it.
                        I fracking knew it!

Originally posted by Skie
                        There were so many missed opportunities in SGA, I don't think I wanna start, otherwise I'll be here until midnight.
                        However, one could argue that the Wraith destroyed them, BUT then a) you should at least find some remains/ruins b) the Wraith would have certainly tried to adapt some of the tech, so you should see that too or c) find factories still in use by the Wraith, now that would have made a cool story.
                        It struck me as odd that there wasn't even a mention of how the stuff was made in the Ancient database.

And I love the Wraith, but I would have thought it would have been cool to come across another race that wasn't superior or inferior to us, but that came across Ancient tech just like we did. Kinda like Larrin and her people.

Originally posted by Skie
                        No wonder we get that kind of impression because first it seemed the Ancients lost the war due to an equally powerful enemy. But later they downgraded the Wraith that badly that it didn't make any sense that they lost. Cloning, yeah sure, if I cloned tons of warriors with arrow and bow they still would loose against a few with MGs, geeze. A bit a crude example but hope, you get my drift.
                        Yeah, I get you. When I FIRST saw the Wraith way back in the day, I was just like, "OMG, scary! They'll never be able to beat them." Then the writers kinda pussified them after The Siege, which makes sense... Most enemies become less intimidating as time goes on. But I stopped seeing them as a real threat and started seeing the Ancients as morons. They must've had no creativity or ingenuity.

Comment

The wraith would systematically exterminate any sister cities.

Comment

Why destroy what they could occupy? It would have been interesting to see a sister city being used as a Wraith outpost.

Comment

I've sort of answered my own question about outposts. In "Before I Sleep", the elderly Elizabeth had a list of 5 gate addresses. She said at each one there was a ZPM left by the ancients at outposts. In "The Brotherhood" (next episode), the team goes to one of those addresses and finds an actual ZPM, but it gets "stolen" from them by the people living there, so they don't get to keep it.

I don't recall at the moment if they visited the other 4 sites on elder Elizabeth's list.

Comment

Working...
                              X