PDA

View Full Version : Is that it?....

cjp240573
May 17th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I've watched Gauntlet, and that's it. It's all over. Did Syfy watch all the episodes in season 2 before they made their decision to axe the show.... I think not. Come on guys, you can see that the show has only just really started to get into it's own and 2 seasons (40 episodes) is just not enough to do anything really.

BSG was good but SGU is far better and that had 7 seasons, BSG even dragged out more times than not, every show has good times and bad times in their ratings but if the show is good, let it ride it, viewing figures will sort themselves out. The last 10 episodes season 2 were brilliant, the story arc was well executed. Maybe they should have started this story arc very earlier in season 2, maybe it would have made some difference to Syfy's decision, who knows. Too late now.

I guess if they write books, we can read them to continue. Hell, I may even start writing some myself. :)

clone
May 17th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Your right, the show is now better than before. Season one was too slow. This is what started the axe in motion.

Egle01
May 17th, 2011, 03:13 AM
I'll never get tired saying this -- for me SGU has been great from start to finish.

traylormatt
May 17th, 2011, 03:49 AM
SGU has been amazing from start to finish, but even if everyone at syfy had thought the same, it wouldn't make a difference. It only matters how much money is being made and the ratings weren't there.

I will miss it and I will re-watch it over and over.

jelgate
May 17th, 2011, 06:48 AM
I've watched Gauntlet, and that's it. It's all over. Did Syfy watch all the episodes in season 2 before they made their decision to axe the show.... I think not. Come on guys, you can see that the show has only just really started to get into it's own and 2 seasons (40 episodes) is just not enough to do anything really.

BSG was good but SGU is far better and that had 7 seasons, BSG even dragged out more times than not, every show has good times and bad times in their ratings but if the show is good, let it ride it, viewing figures will sort themselves out. The last 10 episodes season 2 were brilliant, the story arc was well executed. Maybe they should have started this story arc very earlier in season 2, maybe it would have made some difference to Syfy's decision, who knows. Too late now.

I guess if they write books, we can read them to continue. Hell, I may even start writing some myself. :)

First BSG ran 4 seasons and SyFy doesn't make decisions based on how much they like the direction of a show. Its about the money and SGU wasn't making it.

carmencatalina
May 17th, 2011, 07:31 AM
I'll never get tired saying this -- for me SGU has been great from start to finish.

I agree completely.

On the other hand, that is an odd unicorn/pegasus hybrid you have there, and it disturbs me slightly.

On the third hand, who am I to judge the goggle-eyed unicorns of others? Are we not all brothers/sisters/siblings of indeterminate gender in the great fandom of SGU?

What was I saying again?

See, it distracted me.

LtColCarter
May 17th, 2011, 09:40 AM
that's it. It's all over.

That about sums it up! ;)

Lahela
May 17th, 2011, 10:11 AM

And I will never get tired of "quoting for truth" other people who say it before me.

Perelandra
May 17th, 2011, 10:18 AM

My sentiments exactly. However, Syfy should have given this show at least one more season considering that ratings were slightly going up (2.5)and some who didn't like the show at first were being won over..................

Egle01
May 18th, 2011, 01:18 AM
On the other hand, that is an odd unicorn/pegasus hybrid you have there, and it disturbs me slightly. When I put it into my sigline, I thought it was cute and funny. Also expressed my bitterness about SGU's end. Now, I've learned that he's (yup, a guy) disturbing for some, judgmental about Ryan, and slightly drunk. All I know is that when in doubt, feed him cookies.

And I will never get tired of "quoting for truth" other people who say it before me.Sometimes I do feel like a broken record for saying it, but have to put some positiveness out there, right.

LtColCarter
May 18th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Your right, the show is now better than before. Season one was too slow. This is what started the axe in motion.

I agree...It wasn't all that awesome when it started.

Gollumpus
May 18th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Agreed. While I did find most of what was shown in season one as being necessary to telling the story of how the crew managed to survive, it did seem to be done in a rather plodding manner. Also, they could have added a bit more "pew pew" at the beginning to keep the attention of the group who like shiny objects.

regards,
G.

Nikec3
May 18th, 2011, 02:19 PM
It was awesome when it started. I absolutely loved Air(1-3), Darkness and Light. And the ratings were going down all the time.

garhkal
May 18th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Which to me was surprising... Heck from that post in another thread, showing the viewership each ep got, i was flabergasted at how low we were getting.

Egle01
May 19th, 2011, 12:54 AM
Which to me was surprising... Heck from that post in another thread, showing the viewership each ep got, i was flabergasted at how low we were getting.Compared to S2 numbers, even 1.3's and 1.4's seemed high. :P For me, at least.

Mr Evil 37
May 19th, 2011, 04:39 AM
SGU has been amazing from start to finish, but even if everyone at syfy had thought the same, it wouldn't make a difference. It only matters how much money is being made and the ratings weren't there.

I will miss it and I will re-watch it over and over.

This.

MattSilver 3k
May 19th, 2011, 04:48 AM

Never get tired of people saying it, either. :)

LtColCarter
May 19th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Some of you guys need to get a room! ;)

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
May 19th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Yes.

Egle01
May 19th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Some of you guys need to get a room! ;)Will there be popcorn in that room?

MattSilver 3k
May 19th, 2011, 10:54 PM
I like popcorn.

Pharaoh Atem
May 19th, 2011, 10:58 PM
i'll bring pizza

Snowman37
May 19th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Realistically, SGU should have built it's audience by the end of the first season. TWENTY episodes is plenty of time to build an audience. By the second season, the ratings were in the toilet, so Syfy cancelled the show. There's no mystery as to why it was cancelled. That's it, it's all over. Enjoy the 40 episodes, there won't be more. What happens after "Gauntlet?" That's for your imagination to decide.

cjp240573
May 20th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Realistically, SGU should have built it's audience by the end of the first season. TWENTY episodes is plenty of time to build an audience. By the second season, the ratings were in the toilet, so Syfy cancelled the show. There's no mystery as to why it was cancelled. That's it, it's all over. Enjoy the 40 episodes, there won't be more. What happens after "Gauntlet?" That's for your imagination to decide.

Problem is, I dont think there is enough content in 40 episodes to base a good image of what happens next. Don't you agree? 60 or 80 episodes and I think you would have it.

morrismike
May 29th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Problem is, I dont think there is enough content in 40 episodes to base a good image of what happens next. Don't you agree? 60 or 80 episodes and I think you would have it.

SYFY doesn't do affirmative action for tv shows. The whole idea was for SGU to hang onto the SG fanbase and add BSG fans. Most of the material in the show was filler (almost a show about nothing) and interpersonal stuff most of the SG fanbase (and women) didn't care for. Firefly was light years ahead of SGU with far fewer episodes.

Huaracocha
June 2nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
"Is that it?" - Exactly what I was thinking after just watching Gauntlet for the first time, albeit for rather different reasons. I have a weakness for neat endings, open-ended aspects for the future of characters and implications of the plot's resolution are fine, but I do like my main plot lines resolved. Of course SGU was pencilled into a corner with the short notice cancellation but still, it seems the last episode opened more new plot threads than it resolved.

...The whole idea was for SGU to hang onto the SG fanbase and add BSG fans. Most of the material in the show was filler (almost a show about nothing) and interpersonal stuff most of the SG fanbase (and women) didn't care for. Firefly was light years ahead of SGU with far fewer episodes.

100% in agreement with this, particularly with reference to season 1. It's what some of us highlighted as the key weakness of the show from our first exposure to it. Then again that's just my opinion and some people loved the "filler interpersonal stuff", not to mention Firefly was canned even faster than SGU. It seems there is no place on TV these days for good science fiction shows and I'm starting to wonder how many times I can rewatch my many DVD's of Stargate shows, Star Treks, Farscape, Babylon 5 etc etc before even I get bored of them :(

LtColCarter
June 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM
"Is that it?" - Exactly what I was thinking after just watching Gauntlet for the first time, albeit for rather different reasons. I have a weakness for neat endings, open-ended aspects for the future of characters and implications of the plot's resolution are fine, but I do like my main plot lines resolved. Of course SGU was pencilled into a corner with the short notice cancellation but still, it seems the last episode opened more new plot threads than it resolved.

100% in agreement with this, particularly with reference to season 1. It's what some of us highlighted as the key weakness of the show from our first exposure to it. Then again that's just my opinion and some people loved the "filler interpersonal stuff", not to mention Firefly was canned even faster than SGU. It seems there is no place on TV these days for good science fiction shows and I'm starting to wonder how many times I can rewatch my many DVD's of Stargate shows, Star Treks, Farscape, Babylon 5 etc etc before even I get bored of them :(

I agree...the first season...at least the first half...moved really slow...

WraithCommander
June 8th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I felt myself saying "really?" as the episode went on, it was a poor way to leave it.

LtColCarter
June 9th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I felt myself saying "really?" as the episode went on, it was a poor way to leave it.

I can see that. I've said before that it seemed like an excellent season finale...but not a series finale.

Snowman37
June 9th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Unfortunately, 40 episodes is all there is. 60-80 episodes would be nice for those who enjoyed the show (I didn't), but 40 is all there is. I feel the same way about Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. 31 episodes, and then it ended on a cliffhanger. Do the Connors stop Skynet? We'll never know. Most episodes hold up to repeat viewing, though.

WraithCommander
June 9th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I can see that. I've said before that it seemed like an excellent season finale...but not a series finale.

Exactly my thoughts. It really needs more.