Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not use the time to repair the ship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not use the time to repair the ship?

Since they wouldn't be battling any drones or blueberry aliens while in the FTL jump to the next galaxy, wouldn't it be a good idea to set the repair robots on automatic and have them fix the hydroponics dome and other areas damaged by the kamikaze drones? Unless the repair-bots require constant power from Destiny, which I doubt, they would be able to utilize what energy they have to repair a fair bit of the damage from the last few attacks. Or better yet, they could be set to work on trying to repair the power cells so that Destiny can recharge at more than 40% maximum capacity. I realize it's probably not feasible to repair the system to a accept a full charge, or possibly not at all, but you would think that with the technology they had on board, and the knowledge of the database at their disposal, the repair-bots would be able to at least bring some part of the charging system/battery up to a higher capacity than what they have now. Thoughts?

i don't know if they can be outside if the shield is on. from the inside, yes it's possible but we don't know if they have the resources

Comment

I am almost sure that there is nothing
      wrong with the power cells themselves
      as did't Rush say the power cells
      where full after going through the
      blue super giant but I agree with
      you that putting the drones on
      automatic would be a good idea

Comment

They fixed it the first time and the crew
        would need the dome again to grow
        enough food to surrive through season
        three if the season did happen

Comment

I doubt the repair robot can do EVA repairs while the ship is in FTL flight. Repairs on the inside should be okay though. Maybe they don't have enough spare parts?
          sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

There could always be a slight worry that should the repair bot do something wrong they could massively ruin something? Should they cut the wrong thing or slightly damage something, that could diminish the power usage. I know they are there to repair, but things can always accidentally malfunction, or do something that would usually be fine, but given the circumstances could be detrimental to the mission they are currently in. Perhaps the drones needs some form of supervision.

Comment

Originally posted by traylormatt View Post
              There could always be a slight worry that should the repair bot do something wrong they could massively ruin something? Should they cut the wrong thing or slightly damage something, that could diminish the power usage. I know they are there to repair, but things can always accidentally malfunction, or do something that would usually be fine, but given the circumstances could be detrimental to the mission they are currently in. Perhaps the drones needs some form of supervision.
              I agree...
              Fixing a computer while it is turned on... Probably not the BEST idea...
              To fix stuff you normally have to shut power off to the system.

Comment

Plus didn't it take what.. 3 weeks+ to program that one just to cut out that faulty FTL drive?

Comment

It's been awhile since I've seen the episode, but I thought the total time taken was 3+ weeks, including programming. Even if it was that long to program it to do a specific function, such as cutting out the FTL drive, which would be a very complicated ordeal in and of itself, it would have a far shorter time to be programmed to repair some glass on the domes, or some of the interior damage caused by the drones. Even if programming took that long on just the FTL drive, they would still have the initial program that was used to make it work in the first place, and with the number of bright minds that are onboard the Destiny would easily be able to manipulate the repair-bot to fix certain mission critical things, or possibly even repair the power cells to accept more than a 40% charge. Regardless, if the Ancients sent their most advanced and powerful ship of their time into the unknown of the universe on an unmanned course that would be on its own for hundreds of thousands of years, you would think they would have an automatic "fix-all" function for the repair-bots in case something went wrong (and yes, I realize it was stuck in a storage bin until they found it... but you would think that the Ancients would have had some kind of contingency plan).

Comment

Maybe they just didn't think they would need it. They have been shown to lack some oversight..

Comment

maybe the batteries are much like ours, they slowly acept less and less charge. I know my iphone for examply lasts nowhere near as long as when i first got it

Comment

the battery analogy makes sense. near-free energy is possible, but not completely free. every thing decays just at different rates.

id guess shuttle might work if infact shuttle consoles dont use destiny power but assuming the length of time needed to program were to go over 14 days [can suit be recharged while wearing? what about bathroom needs ; p] is a prerequisite to what he can get done. also how much food and water is left remains unclear, i think. or, i forget.

anyways, the lights are off im guessing he had a flashlight when young and rush went to 'sleep'. haha im thinking of that moment w/brody and volker "flashlight"? how much power would it take to un-quarantine ginn and dr. perry? [and dr. franklin]?
                        Last edited by greenguywithlasereye; 18 May 2011, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greenguywithlasereye View Post
                          how much power would it take to un-quarantine ginn and dr. perry? [and dr. franklin]?
                          Dr. Franklin is actually gone. Unlike Ginn and Mandy, his entire being was - as JM put it - subsumed into the system. His consciousness laid the groundwork for Destiny's AI. Ginn and Mandy are simply consciousnesses running around willy-nilly in the computer core, Franklin became the GUI for the operating system, so-to-speak.

Comment

fair enough. so how much power does the chair use? I guess power used by the chair depends on what youre doing w/it. in Sabotage, when dr perry was able to command the robot for repairs, the chair ended up having to be used to initiate the big IG ftl-jump.

also the robots, presumably could 'rebuild' [increase energy capacity] parts of the ship, perhaps the solar collectors idk. however the ships in ftl, and time required to send the bot to those places [sorry, bots theres 2 now] might take a while since they obviously cant fly the shuttle into position [which has no ftl like in sabotage].

in seizure, eli was able to put ginn and dr perrys consciousness into quarantine, not from the chair, but from a console. so my qs might better be put, how much power per console for such a command? maybe it won't use a lot of power, but could drain some - im assuming then, it would be used as a last-ditch effort, to call on them - since it may use up most of that needed reserve. however, they have insider core access noone else has and can work fast.

Comment

I wonder if the chair can reverse that. Allowing say Eli to download Ginn into himself, much like Dr Jackson had all those people in Lifeboat?

Comment

Working...
                              X