Destiny's FTL travel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's FTL travel.

Since the Destiny travels Faster Than Light in real space(instead of subspace) wouldn't there be an issue with how the crew aged?

Yes they are bound by the laws pysics,the Doppler effect watch stargate Atlantis the return mc Kay explains it time travels slower the faster you go trough space

Comment

Okay next time instead of asking this.. 1: Use some logic.. and 2: Read the other posts on this forum!
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but on topic with FTL travel: On the series finale they say the will be in stasis for 3 years but can the FTL drive take one long trip? They didn't mention making stops did they?

Comment

K how about this. When you are travelling at light speed you don't age. So what happens when you travel faster than light?

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaSnake View Post
            Since the Destiny travels Faster Than Light in real space(instead of subspace) wouldn't there be an issue with how the crew aged?
            From what we've seen there is no time dilation so FTL (or at least that of Destiny) negates relativistic effects.

K how about this. When you are travelling at light speed you don't age. So what happens when you travel faster than light?
            Physics says that when you travel faster, time slows for you exponentially. As I said, Destiny obviously negates these effects.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              From what we've seen there is no time dilation so FTL (or at least that of Destiny) negates relativistic effects.

Physics says that when you travel faster, time slows for you exponentially. As I said, Destiny obviously negates these effects.
              This probably means it uses subspace, but not in the same way that a hyperdrive does...

Comment

Originally posted by Armeria Verimas View Post
                This probably means it uses subspace, but not in the same way that a hyperdrive does...
                RUSH: "Faster than light, yet not through hyperspace."

Hyperspace is subspace. So Destiny travels through normal space.

Comment

Hyperdrive is a layer of subspace, there are many layers of subspace in the stargate universe.
                  Even with in hyperspace it is suggested that there may be different layers.

It possible Destiny taps into other layer of subspace for its propulsion systems. I still like to think that this propulsion system was built specifically for Destiny and seeder ship mission.

A other idea is that Destiny propulsion system is similar to want the Tolan use to communicate with the Nox.

Comment

It is impossible to travel faster than light using "ordinary" means. Relativity dictates that nothing can go faster than the speed of light, and it has been confirmed in countless experiments. Therefore, it makes no predictions for anything travelling faster than light. You are right that time slows down for anything travelling close to the speed of light.
                    Destiny uses an FTL drive, that bypasses the "speed limit". It is obviously not normal motion. For example, there is no inertia, so as soon as the drive is shut down or runs out of power, the ship drops back to sublight speeds.

Or in other words: Magnets
                    sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

As a general ball park for every year that passes on destiny at 99% the speed of light 20 years would pass on Earth. and its logarithmic so if you get up to 99.99 % youll be looking at thousands of years passing for every year.

Clearly whatever propulsion Destiny uses isnt about getting up to Relativistic velocities. Possibly a warp drive style affair like out of Star trek, it expands space behind it and contracts space in front. which would keep it in this universe rather then hyperspace. I dont think theres much evidence to suggest the nature of Destinys propulsiopn method

Comment

If every year passed on destiny made 20 years passed on Earth, that mean FTL is painfully slow. I guess, slower than the speed of an ant walking.

The right way to see it is for every FTL day (earth time) travel made by destiny, they are 20 light years away from Earth. So the crew still age the same. Unless they were frozen during the FTL journey.

Comment

Ok we know that destiny travels through normal space because a gravitational field in destinies flight path can disrupt the FTL drive. But the ship has to use some sort of warp drive or something similar otherwise it wouldn’t be able to travel at such high speeds because as we all know the speed of light is the cosmic speed limit, that’s why we use subspace.
                          sigpic

Comment

What if the propulsion method for destiny was a one off, because it was experimental?
                            perhaps it was the bridge between previous interstellar travel using propulsion that the ancients knew worked, and then the science was advanced enough for the development of hyperdrive technology? thereby being the reason that there has not been any other such propulsion methods? what if this was the most advanced form of travel that the ancients had when they left their home galaxy, hence it's incorporation into destiny?
                            I always thought of it as being destiny taps into a layer of subspace, thereby enabling ftl, but the ship wasn't deep enough, hence the easy disruption by a gravitational field i.e. that star, would be enough to knock it out?
                            perhaps the relativistic effects are minimal, if at all, even though it's a small jump into subspace?
                            strength must be balanced with sweetness of temperament

Comment

Originally posted by satnamboll28 View Post
                              What if the propulsion method for destiny was a one off, because it was experimental?
                              perhaps it was the bridge between previous interstellar travel using propulsion that the ancients knew worked, and then the science was advanced enough for the development of hyperdrive technology? thereby being the reason that there has not been any other such propulsion methods? what if this was the most advanced form of travel that the ancients had when they left their home galaxy, hence it's incorporation into destiny?
                              I always thought of it as being destiny taps into a layer of subspace, thereby enabling ftl, but the ship wasn't deep enough, hence the easy disruption by a gravitational field i.e. that star, would be enough to knock it out?
                              perhaps the relativistic effects are minimal, if at all, even though it's a small jump into subspace?
                              I think the FTL is different because it was a ship designed to study the "background" stuff that Rush found, and doing that is likely impossible from hyperspace. So the ship could project a time dilation or alteration field around itself when moving FTL to keep the Doppler effect from happening. If the Doppler affect was happening naturally the crew would experience time stop whenever they were going FTL and they couldn't actually go FTL.
                              Todd: Fish in a pond, busy busy, lots to do, here and there. Dry as a desert outside, no place to go. Eat up, get stronger, think and hope, think and hope. Don't look now! Oh, keep dreaming. There must be some other reason for your existence. Defiance tastes like life itself. No river. No water. Die in the desert. Dirt is all around. The harvest moon is rising. Wraith are never-ending. I know the future. Come inside. I'll show you your Destiny... John Sheppard.

Comment

Working...
                              X