PDA

View Full Version : Something that bothered me about the power

kcordloh
May 13th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I just finished rewatching Gauntlet, and something leaped out at me.

When they left the last galaxy they were in danger of falling short. Eli himself said that the next galaxy is quite a bit further away then the last one, and they are only 1/3rd through this galaxy.

Now without making distance assumptions, Destiny barely made the last jump, as in Sabotage they needed a 5% boost in efficiency to complete the trip. Let's ignore time, nobody knows for sure how long it was they were in the void. What bothers me is that they keep saying Destiny is in no better shape then before, they keep talking about bleeding power from systems, that the power reserve storage capacity is about 40% still.

Yet somehow, they are going to be able to be in FTL for 3 years. When they barely made the last jump long, which even if it is only a 10% increase which I highly doubt given Eli said a fair bit longer distance, would still be a hard to swallow increase. Even if Destiny can speed up traveling in the void, and the first 2 years are just crossing the Novus galaxy fairly slowly, it still seems hard for me to believe. Unless I missed something major

Shylodog
May 13th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I just finished rewatching Gauntlet, and something leaped out at me.

When they left the last galaxy they were in danger of falling short. Eli himself said that the next galaxy is quite a bit further away then the last one, and they are only 1/3rd through this galaxy.

Now without making distance assumptions, Destiny barely made the last jump, as in Sabotage they needed a 5% boost in efficiency to complete the trip. Let's ignore time, nobody knows for sure how long it was they were in the void. What bothers me is that they keep saying Destiny is in no better shape then before, they keep talking about bleeding power from systems, that the power reserve storage capacity is about 40% still.

Yet somehow, they are going to be able to be in FTL for 3 years. When they barely made the last jump long, which even if it is only a 10% increase which I highly doubt given Eli said a fair bit longer distance, would still be a hard to swallow increase. Even if Destiny can speed up traveling in the void, and the first 2 years are just crossing the Novus galaxy fairly slowly, it still seems hard for me to believe. Unless I missed something major

By shutting down all non-essential systems they are increasing the distance Destiny can travel. By not stopping every few hours/days to gate and resupply, they are increasing the distance Destiny can travel. They made sure that even without 100% power, but with only 40% reserve that with everything turned off except navigation, stasis pods and FTL engines they would reach the next galaxy.

Everything that they experienced before also meant that they were stopping, gating, breathing, adjusting course, etc.

thekillman
May 13th, 2011, 01:56 PM
the obvious answer is that the Stasis Pods require less energy than the ship needs to sustain all the people normally.

plus that the Ship most likely travels slower. we don't know the formula for power requirements but i'd say it's the square of Destiny's speed. that is, double the speed and you quadruple the power requirements

Shylodog
May 13th, 2011, 02:00 PM
plus that the Ship most likely travels slower. we don't know the formula for power requirements but i'd say it's the square of Destiny's speed. that is, double the speed and you quadruple the power requirements

True. For all we know they may be going at the slowest possible speed setting for FTL to help conserve power. All they have to be is IN FTL and the drones can't track 'em.

traylormatt
May 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah, maximum distance for minimum input. Hell, we all know that when we gun the accelerator pedal in our car we consume more fuel, but by driving efficiently we can go further on the same power. could just be the same for FTL. They make take a little longer to get there, but that is fine so long as they get there within an "ok" time frame.

morrismike
May 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Destiny will drift when it is out of power.

kcordloh
May 13th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah, maximum distance for minimum input. Hell, we all know that when we gun the accelerator pedal in our car we consume more fuel, but by driving efficiently we can go further on the same power. could just be the same for FTL. They make take a little longer to get there, but that is fine so long as they get there within an "ok" time frame.

That's a good thought, one I hadn't really thought about. I guess it really just bothered me since in Sabotage they talked about Destiny barely making it's last 3 to 4 between galaxy jumps, and here they were jumping through most of a galaxy plus a longer void and still being able to make it, even with the extra battle damage.

Good points on how removing everything but engines, shields, and essential systems would decrease power. And in "Air" they did come it to breathable atmosphere so maybe removing life support does give destiny that extra boost. Thank you guys, definitely makes the episode more believable to me now!

sgc
May 13th, 2011, 11:37 PM
We have to remember that the longer you are in FTL, the faster you go. Therefore, they'll go faster and faster until they reach the end. Kind of like when you start moving a heavy wheeled object (like a grocery cart), it is sluggish, but then it goes much faster once you get it going. It's like RL lag. The same goes for FTL, except for the slow start.

It is likely that when they drop out of FTL at the end of the trip, they will repair the ship, refuel, and prepare for that jump.

The only thing that really bothers me is that it would be nearly impossible to calculate a jump to the end of a galaxy when you're a third of the way through it. FTL keeps you in normal space/time, which means that if an object is in your path, you'll crash into it at speeds FAR in excess of at least 671 million miles per hour. You'd be instantly vaporized, along with a large chunk of whatever you just ran into. You have to plot a course that doesn't conflict with any of the stars/planets in a galaxy (there's a lot and even though you have a shield, it can't do much against foreign objects when you're going that fast). Since you're going that fast, you can't make any sort of turning maneuver while in FTL. You'd be torn apart. For now, we'll just have to assume that Eli found one unless we get an explanation from Eli himself.

dgh64
May 14th, 2011, 11:22 AM
The galaxy is pretty much flat (a lot of galaxies are) so to avoid crashing all they'd have to do is go "up" or "down" a little and then it's a straight shot.

I haven't rewatched the episode yet, but I think Eli mentioned something about going slower to use less power, which is why it's taking 3 years instead of a couple months like the last jump between galaxies.

morbosfist
May 14th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Eli mentions that they're losing speed due to damage to the FTL drive. It takes three years because they're only a third through this galaxy and the gap is larger than the last.

Nth Chevron
May 14th, 2011, 12:19 PM
When Atlantis was taking off from Lantea, Rodney mentioned almost 30% of total power reqs was needed for taking off.

I'd say for Destiny, the most power usage comes from accelerating to FTL, once she hits the speed then its a less intense power drain needed to maintain the speed.

N.C

JoseP927
May 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
The average space between galaxies is far greater than the diameter of an average galaxy. So the fact that they are only a 3rd of the way through isn't really that significant. Also, I don't think it was ever said that FTL travel was in normal space, just that it didn't function like other hyperdrive systems. When Eli was talking about skipping the rest of the galaxy, I assumed they were going go off their normal path - away from the galactic plane where there are less things to hit.

Nth Chevron
May 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
The average space between galaxies is far greater than the diameter of an average galaxy. So the fact that they are only a 3rd of the way through isn't really that significant. Also, I don't think it was ever said that FTL travel was in normal space, just that it didn't function like other hyperdrive systems. When Eli was talking about skipping the rest of the galaxy, I assumed they were going go off their normal path - away from the galactic plane where there are less things to hit.

The fanbase assumed no extra dimensional travel due to the fact you can see the stars, and stellar sights whilst in FTL, through the wave effect.

N.C

dgh64
May 14th, 2011, 01:35 PM
We know FTL goes through normal (not extra-dimensional) space because the Blue Aliens had a small ship attached to the hull way back in the beginning and it was able to leave while the ship was in FTL (end of Air III).

It's possible as Nth Chevron said that most of the power usage comes in the initial acceleration to FTL, and after that it's just a small drain to maintain speed.

metroidgate
May 14th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Frist time
In Blockade they got a full tank of gas in Rush's words so wouldn't have more power for
this jump than the last jump between two galaxies?
The reason the power is an issue is because of the larger distance?

Nth Chevron
May 15th, 2011, 06:23 AM
And constant Life support drain over the void

N.C

garhkal
May 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Do the pods drain that much?

morbosfist
May 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Less than life support, to be sure.

Rylor
May 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM
The only thing that really bothers me is that it would be nearly impossible to calculate a jump to the end of a galaxy when you're a third of the way through it. FTL keeps you in normal space/time, which means that if an object is in your path, you'll crash into it at speeds FAR in excess of at least 671 million miles per hour. You'd be instantly vaporized, along with a large chunk of whatever you just ran into. You have to plot a course that doesn't conflict with any of the stars/planets in a galaxy (there's a lot and even though you have a shield, it can't do much against foreign objects when you're going that fast). Since you're going that fast, you can't make any sort of turning maneuver while in FTL. You'd be torn apart. For now, we'll just have to assume that Eli found one unless we get an explanation from Eli himself.

You have to remember: Space ist mostly empty vacuum. The chance of randomly hitting a planet or a star is practically zero. Besides, they have the data from the Seed ships, so they can avoid any obstacles in the mapped-out corridor.

metroidgate
May 15th, 2011, 11:04 PM
but they leave the mapped-out corridor to head to the next galaxy
without traveling through the drone galaxy

Rylor
May 15th, 2011, 11:20 PM
but they leave the mapped-out corridor to head to the next galaxy
without traveling through the drone galaxy

It's still highly unlikely that they will hit something by accident. Space is really, really big and empty.

metroidgate
May 15th, 2011, 11:27 PM
true
the danger would only be there in the first part of the jump as they go around
the edge but your right that space very very big