PDA

View Full Version : Warehouse 13 HG Wells spinoff.

syber
May 13th, 2011, 07:33 AM
HG Wells from Warehouse 13 is probably getting her own spinoff show.
I was reading Blastr this morning and it looks like they are going to do a spinoff based on HG Wells.

While it is still in the early stages and thus subject to change, the idea is to put Wells in a 1890s steampunk environment. Despite Warehouse 12's efforts to recruit her, she would remain a free agent who uses her knowledge of contemporary science to solve murders and other mysteries.
In this incarnation, she would enlist the help of a mechanical engineer and utilize her relationship with the police commissioner to solve what appear to be unsolvable cases. Both the skills and style she employs will become the framework for the well-known stories of H.G. Wells, as written by her brother.

Sounds like a decent concept. Hopefully it doesnt take too long to air.

LtColCarter
May 13th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I was reading Blastr this morning and it looks like they are going to do a spinoff based on HG Wells.

Sounds like a decent concept. Hopefully it doesnt take too long to air.

Interesting

Snowman37
May 13th, 2011, 07:55 AM
HG Wells is a woman? What the heck?

LtColCarter
May 13th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Yes, she's a woman on Warehouse 13.

Replicator Todd
May 13th, 2011, 09:16 AM

Awesome, innit?

Spimman
May 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Wow, this sounds awesome! Kind of like a Warehouse 12 show (in a way). No details on possible release? Maybe Summer 2012? Are they planning on using the same actress? She wouldn't be my choice for the job.

You need to watch W13, it was a really interesting take on HG Wells

LtColCarter
May 13th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Wow, this sounds awesome! Kind of like a Warehouse 12 show (in a way). No details on possible release? Maybe Summer 2012? Are they planning on using the same actress? She wouldn't be my choice for the job.

You need to watch W13, it was a really interesting take on HG Wells

:indeed:

Snowman37
May 13th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Yes, she's a woman on Warehouse 13.
H.G. Wells was a man.

Replicator Todd
May 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM
H.G. Wells was a man.

Key word was. :p

LtColCarter
May 13th, 2011, 10:42 AM
H.G. Wells was a man.

That's what she wants you to think!

jelgate
May 13th, 2011, 10:48 AM
H.G. Wells was a man.

In the real world yes but in W13 cannon Wells is female and as a spinoff it would have to follow W13 cannon

WingedPegasus
May 13th, 2011, 11:42 AM
:eek: AWESOME!!! Yes!! Bring on the steampunk! :D

GWF
May 13th, 2011, 01:52 PM
it's be interesting to see The Time Machine, War of the Worlds and The Invisible WoMan Warehouse 13 version with Wells in it :D

Pharaoh Atem
May 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Not sure if i would like this. but i will judge when more details come out.

Snowman37
May 14th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Changing the gender of a historical person for uber-kewl sake is just... mind numbing. Why not maintain historical accuracy?

WingedPegasus
May 14th, 2011, 10:49 AM
it's be interesting to see The Time Machine, War of the Worlds and The Invisible WoMan Warehouse 13 version with Wells in it :D

Yeah! :D

Changing the gender of a historical person for uber-kewl sake is just... mind numbing. Why not maintain historical accuracy?

Historical accuracy wasn't really the point. And they didn't ignore the fact that everyone thought H.G. was a man, they just made into a cover-up. Y'know, having a man pretend to be H.G. Wells so that the books would sell better than if they were written by a woman.

twaxer
May 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM
awsome! yaaay!

aretood2
May 17th, 2011, 05:34 AM

Well considering how the mythology behind WH13 works, it makes perfect sense. Think about Stargate. They changed the builders of the Pyramids completely, adopted Intelligent Design for the origin of Humans (The Ancients made us) and replaced mythical gods with Aliens pretending to be gods.

People on Earth still think Humans came from Ape like creatures on Earth, Archeologists still insist that the pyramids were made by some Pharaoh. And no one says that the gods are actually aliens playing God. Same thing for WH13...sort off.

Replicator Todd
May 19th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Screw historical accuracy. :D

aretood2
May 19th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Screw historical accuracy. :D

:eek: And you're a history major...or is that Rickington? Yes I get you two confused >.>

Replicator Todd
May 19th, 2011, 06:04 PM
:eek: And you're a history major...or is that Rickington? Yes I get you two confused >.>

Probably Rickington, I can't possibly be that awesome. :D But it is good to be confused with awesomeness. :cool:

I do like history though....sometimes....off and on.....:weiranime42:

the fifth man
May 22nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
While this could turn out to be pretty interesting, I just don't know. I will give it a shot though.

LtColCarter
May 24th, 2011, 09:52 AM
While this could turn out to be pretty interesting, I just don't know. I will give it a shot though.

As will I.

DSG1
August 17th, 2011, 10:29 PM
I'd rather watch the spinoff, than warehouse 13 at this point warehouse is getting too childish for my liking. And here's hoping the storylines will be more important than playing favorites among the cast and guest stars and forced adverts.

Galileo_Galilee
August 18th, 2011, 12:19 PM
It's not a spinoff I'd watch. I don't mind the character but I think they went way too far in giving her credit for everything the scientific community accomplished. I am a bit put off of her because HG Wells is one of my personal heroes though. You might as well rewrite JF Kennedy as a gay black man with his homosexuality being the reason he was assassinated.

Basically they turned her into a Mary Sue.

lordofseas
August 18th, 2011, 02:58 PM
H.G. Wells is hardly a Mary Sue. The entire idea that she is is quite laughable, actually. A Mary Sue is a stereotypical character that is unrealistic and unlikely, never changes or evolves, and (note) lacks powerful or noteworthy flaws. The entire fact that HG Wells went psycho at the end of Season 2 and tried to destroy the world because of the loss of her daughter and the future was not living up to her ideals is hardly a lack of a flaw.

IcarusAbides
August 18th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I like the character of HG and would like to see how they envision this series. I would like to see a decent supporting cast of Brit actors on the show as well.

Magnecite
August 19th, 2011, 12:56 AM
If they do the HG Wells spinoff, I'd like to see HG matched up with a man who could challenge her. As much as I liked Woolly or Wolly, I can't see him playing that part. He's more her Watson. No-one really challenged her on WH13, she was defeated by her own nature i.e. the affection she undoubtedly feels for Myka.

Spimman
August 19th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Anyone heard is Jaime Murray would remain HG Wells?

SunKrux
August 19th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Anyone heard is Jaime Murray would remain HG Wells?

The pilot script hasn't even been written so there is no word on who they'll have playing HG, if/when it finally does start filming. When I chatted with Jack Kenny at San Diego Comic Con last month he mentioned that the spin off is still in the very early planning stages so nothing is set in stone on the spin off as of yet. He's too busy working on the show he loves, Warehouse 13.

aretood2
August 19th, 2011, 06:00 PM
The pilot script hasn't even been written so there is no word on who they'll have playing HG, if/when it finally does start filming. When I chatted with Jack Kenny at San Diego Comic Con last month he mentioned that the spin off is still in the very early planning stages so nothing is set in stone on the spin off as of yet. He's too busy working on the show he loves, Warehouse 13.
For now, I am happy that these plans are not going anywhere for now. WH13 should get some breathing space for a bit longer before the TPTB peeps get distracted with a new shinny show.

Galileo_Galilee
August 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
So basically it's just rumors.

When they get the casting calls is when something's afoot.

SunKrux
August 20th, 2011, 08:10 PM
So basically it's just rumors.

When they get the casting calls is when something's afoot.

No it's not rumors, it's just still in the very, very EARLY planning stages as I said in my previous post. :D

Galileo_Galilee
August 21st, 2011, 08:23 AM
Early EARLY planning stages = rumors.

LtColCarter
August 21st, 2011, 09:07 AM
No it's not rumors, it's just still in the very, very EARLY planning stages as I said in my previous post. :D

True...and there's quite a bit of buzz on the net about it too.

IcarusAbides
August 21st, 2011, 09:12 AM

Because it's a fantasy show and not a documentary, playing around with norms and assumptions is what makes shows like Warehouse great.

Girlbot
August 21st, 2011, 09:16 AM
Me no gonna likey:(

LtColCarter
August 21st, 2011, 09:17 AM
Me no gonna likey:(

You're not going to like a spinoff?

Girlbot
August 21st, 2011, 09:21 AM
You're not going to like a spinoff?
NO. No spin off please. I agree with the poster who said they should give WH13 some room and not create spinoffs.
I wasn't too thrilled with the HGWells thing in the first place on WH13. Not going to like a spin off

SunKrux
August 22nd, 2011, 07:05 AM
Early EARLY planning stages = rumors.

In your world maybe, here in reality, it's not a rumor, just in the early planning stages.
But if you want to believe it's rumors, go for it.

SunKrux
August 22nd, 2011, 07:07 AM
NO. No spin off please. I agree with the poster who said they should give WH13 some room and not create spinoffs.
I wasn't too thrilled with the HGWells thing in the first place on WH13. Not going to like a spin off

I respect your not liking HG but really, how can you say you're not going to like something that really hasn't happened yet. It's still in the early planning stage. Jack Kenny said he wouldn't do anything with it yet as he was too busy with WH13.

I welcome a spin off since I happen to like the character HG, especially if they get Jaime to play her in this spin off.

But hey, to each their own. I just don't get the "I don't like it" attitude when you haven't seen it yet. *shrugs*

aretood2
August 22nd, 2011, 10:24 AM
I respect your not liking HG but really, how can you say you're not going to like something that really hasn't happened yet. It's still in the early planning stage. Jack Kenny said he wouldn't do anything with it yet as he was too busy with WH13.

I welcome a spin off since I happen to like the character HG, especially if they get Jaime to play her in this spin off.

But hey, to each their own. I just don't get the "I don't like it" attitude when you haven't seen it yet. *shrugs*
You know how some people always don't enjoy the sequal to a movie as much as the first movie? I really think it is a personality trait of some sort because there are some people who can't name more than three sequels that they like as much as their original. It could be the same with shows, people just don't like spinoffs if they have seen the original. Don't know why it is like that, it just is. So it is easy to predict that you won't like on sequel of a movie or spinoff of a show if you generally don't like them in general by experience.

Girlbot
August 22nd, 2011, 11:23 AM

If it's the same character, and I did not like the scenario and character in the first show, then why would I like another show focused around that same character?

daxmaryrussel
August 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
If it's the same character, and I did not like the scenario and character in the first show, then why would I like another show focused around that same character?

True! However, I liked the character and looking forward to this series... It would seem that it's difficult to create a spinnoff series that becomes as popular as the original show - it seems it's difficult to re-create the personal chemistry between the actors (I'm thinking NCIS, CSI, Grey's Anatomy - even Stagate [sorry SGA fans - I like SGA too but not as much as SG1]). Law and order could be one exception... *runs and hide now*

IcarusAbides
August 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
True! However, I liked the character and looking forward to this series... It would seem that it's difficult to create a spinnoff series that becomes as popular as the original show - it seems it's difficult to re-create the personal chemistry between the actors (I'm thinking NCIS, CSI, Grey's Anatomy - even Stagate [sorry SGA fans - I like SGA too but not as much as SG1]). Law and order could be one exception... *runs and hide now*

There aren't many spin offs that prove to be better than the original but I do prefer SGA to SG1 but that's just personal preference and I always thought Frasier was superior to Cheers (not a sci fi show I know but I needed an example).

daxmaryrussel
August 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM
There aren't many spin offs that prove to be better than the original but I do prefer SGA to SG1 but that's just personal preference and I always thought Frasier was superior to Cheers (not a sci fi show I know but I needed an example).

I definitely agree with you on Frasier over Cheers (one could argue that Cheers has aged quite badly, but that's not it - the humour is quite different, Frasier to me have a little of that kind of British humour that plays on word etc)
It's ok not using a scifi show as reference - I started it :)

To come back on topic: I really enjoyed the twist that HG Wells was female, btw

IcarusAbides
August 22nd, 2011, 03:50 PM
I definitely agree with you on Frasier over Cheers (one could argue that Cheers has aged quite badly, but that's not it - the humour is quite different, Frasier to me have a little of that kind of British humour that plays on word etc)
It's ok not using a scifi show as reference - I started it :)

To come back on topic: I really enjoyed the twist that HG Wells was female, btw

I agree. It was a nice surprise originally that HG was female but the character does work really well, I think the performances of Jaime Murray helps a lot also which is why I want her to be HG in the spin off.

aretood2
August 23rd, 2011, 05:31 AM
I hope it won't be focused around her...should be a group of main characters.

lordofseas
August 23rd, 2011, 07:17 AM
Yes, Jaime was wonderful for the part. If you're looking for historical accuracy, I think a science-fiction/fantasy show is the wrong place to start. :P

Spimman
August 23rd, 2011, 11:04 AM

Yes, Jaime was wonderful for the part. If you're looking for historical accuracy, I think a science-fiction/fantasy show is the wrong place to start. :P

Since I like W13 so much I'll give any spin-off a shot, but if Jamie Murray is basically in the same role for this I think I'll have a hard time sticking around as I just didn't like her as HG Wells. Which was too bad because the concept of her being the sister of who we all thought was HG Wells, but from a time where women weren't equals is brilliant. I just don't care for Jamie Murray, I didn't like her in Dexter either.

If the spin-off goes forward I would be more likely to enjoy it with a different actress taking the lead, but I'll give anything a shot.

LtColCarter
August 23rd, 2011, 12:45 PM

Sounds like an argument that I make all the time. I don't know why people write things off based on a trailer, the channel a show airs on, or even a character that they possibly disliked. Give the show a chance!

Galileo_Galilee
August 23rd, 2011, 03:13 PM
And you know, with Syfy's penchant for making stupid decisions they could cancel W13 in favor of this show.

Magnecite
August 24th, 2011, 06:36 AM
I think any series has a hard time making it past Season 5 on Syfy. I wouldn't like to see Warehouse 13 cancelled but I personally think it improves the episode when HG is in it. Not everyone likes the same thing, I didn't like Jeri Ryan as Seven, clearly a lot of people did. There is a grieving process that goes on with scifi programmes that get dumped where those fond of them start blaming other series for being more successful. A spinoff won't finish WH13, it may rejuvenate the product. It's not like the series creators invented artefact power, is it! I think the fact that 3-2-1 has got the highest ratings so far in Season 3, from the figures I've seen, suggest the HG's adventures might have a following.

Killdeer
August 24th, 2011, 07:25 AM
I like Jaime Murray as HG Wells, but in general I'm usually not all that enthusiastic about prequels. I did like the flashback episode with Gareth David-Lloyd playing her partner though. If, when and if they do make the show, they keep Jaime and Gareth, I'd definitely give it a try anyway. If they recast HG though, I probably wouldn't be as interested.

IcarusAbides
August 24th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I like Jaime Murray as HG Wells, but in general I'm usually not all that enthusiastic about prequels. I did like the flashback episode with Gareth David-Lloyd playing her partner though. If, when and if they do make the show, they keep Jaime and Gareth, I'd definitely give it a try anyway. If they recast HG though, I probably wouldn't be as interested.

I agree, it would be great if they keep both Jaime and Gareth (would be nice to see him doing something after TW)

Magnecite
August 25th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Recent article by Airlock Alpha seems to suggest that Syfy are there with HG show and the only thing that would sink green lighting the pilot is if Kenny and co come up with a duff script. If they do predate Warehouse 12 they'll have to wiggle a bit to keep GDL as I'm assuming he was a Warehouse agent but I don't suppose that will be too hard. They've wiggled with quite a lot this season. The question begs though, what happened to the Helena we saw in 3-2-1 to turn her into volcano making super villain.

lordofseas
August 25th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Recent article by Airlock Alpha seems to suggest that Syfy are there with HG show and the only thing that would sink green lighting the pilot is if Kenny and co come up with a duff script. If they do predate Warehouse 12 they'll have to wiggle a bit to keep GDL as I'm assuming he was a Warehouse agent but I don't suppose that will be too hard. They've wiggled with quite a lot this season. The question begs though, what happened to the Helena we saw in 3-2-1 to turn her into volcano making super villain.

Her daughter died.

Magnecite
August 25th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Yes, her daughter died but Christina had been dead two years before the time portrayed and she is still supporting the regents and playing her part as a Warehouse Agent with admirable diligence. She does say to Myka at the end of the New Guy that the Warehouse took things from her and made her what she was ... which she implied she regretted. She expresses hate turning into fear. (I thought her speech was reminiscent of X-file gobbedly gook but she did say it) not that I greatly expect anything to tie up. You have to admit though there is a huge discrepancy between pained Helena and supposedly psychotic Helena who was portrayed in Reset as exactly how Pete described ... moustache twirling super villain. The mental health aspects of this show are Victorian and far too convenient in explaining motives, still Warehouse is rather cartoonish in some respects. Its charm is it slips between humour, pathos and tragedy without seeming oddly out of kilter which is undoubtedly a masterly achievement.

misaditas
September 12th, 2011, 11:25 PM

Yeah, I've been watching this story for a while. For the record, I CANNOT WAIT! I love Warehouse 13 and I love Helena's character.

From what I understand, given they showed it at ComicCon, the series will be set in the same time frame as the flashbacks of 3... 2... 1 (if they have Gareth David-Lloyd as her partner full-time, I will die of squee), which I think will make it very interesting. I like the idea of her being a free agent, because she gets to be the star without necessarily being the hero. IMO, it's important not to make her too "good".

But yeah, I love this concept and I really hope they make it happen.

Galileo_Galilee
September 13th, 2011, 09:47 AM
I wonder how people would feel if Amelia Earhart were turned into a man in a story. Would it be okay then? Obviously not.

KayleeLiz
September 16th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Might watch it.... I've never liked H.G. that much though.

lillypilly
September 21st, 2011, 04:01 AM
I wonder how people would feel if Amelia Earhart were turned into a man in a story. Would it be okay then? Obviously not.

To be honest it would depend how it was presented. If it was 'Amelia Earhart was really a man because a woman could never be that cool' then that would be pretty offensive. But if they played with it in some other interesting, irreverent, creative way, then why not? I don't think they turned HG into a woman because they wanted to tell a story about how men suck. They wanted to tell a story about a kickass woman who had to disguise her identity because society at the time would never have accepted her true self. That's a fun, interesting story worth telling, in my view.

The real HG Wells wasn't a Warehouse agent, either, as far as I know... Nor did he create a real time machine. (Or maybe he did!?) If they'd stuck to historical accuracy with those things too, the character wouldn't be on the show at all.

LtColCarter
September 21st, 2011, 08:45 AM
To be honest it would depend how it was presented. If it was 'Amelia Earhart was really a man because a woman could never be that cool' then that would be pretty offensive. But if they played with it in some other interesting, irreverent, creative way, then why not? I don't think they turned HG into a woman because they wanted to tell a story about how men suck. They wanted to tell a story about a kickass woman who had to disguise her identity because society at the time would never have accepted her true self. That's a fun, interesting story worth telling, in my view.

The real HG Wells wasn't a Warehouse agent, either, as far as I know... Nor did he create a real time machine. (Or maybe he did!?) If they'd stuck to historical accuracy with those things too, the character wouldn't be on the show at all.

I concur! If they were historically accurate then a lot of stories wouldn't get told.

SunKrux
September 21st, 2011, 04:57 PM

Word! Well said! :D Thank you. :D

Commander Zelix
September 28th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I didn't like the HG Wells character very much (one time it was great, then not so great). Also the premise doesn't interest me much. But since it's from the Warehouse people, I will take a look. Maybe because of the writing of each episode cases I will love it.

Spimman
October 4th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I wonder if bringing her back for the finale and introducing by flashbacks the "Claudia" guy from W12 they were trying t make the audience interested in a spin-off.

LtColCarter
October 4th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I wonder if bringing her back for the finale and introducing by flashbacks the "Claudia" guy from W12 they were trying t make the audience interested in a spin-off.

But she died in the finale...they'd have to bring her back from the dead.

lookupwardsnshare
October 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Maybe HG can come back through the coin in some way...if it is still around...or was her imprint on the coin removed when they restored it to her? just a thought

SunKrux
October 4th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Not if it's set in Warehouse 12 time frame. It would be before anything on Warehouse 13 happened. Which is what I thought I heard they were going to do with this spin off. *shrugs*

LtColCarter
October 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Not if it's set in Warehouse 12 time frame. It would be before anything on Warehouse 13 happened. Which is what I thought I heard they were going to do with this spin off. *shrugs*

This is true...

mandogater
October 4th, 2011, 08:41 PM

Thanks to this newest set of flashbacks, I'm getting more and more interested in the possiblity of an H.G. spin off set in Warehouse 12.

Galileo_Galilee
October 5th, 2011, 12:46 PM
I believe the series is supposed to be set in the 1800s, so that solves the problem.

But not that they don't have some sort of reset button in the works.

Yeesh.

SunKrux
October 5th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks to this newest set of flashbacks, I'm getting more and more interested in the possiblity of an H.G. spin off set in Warehouse 12.

Yep me too if they can get Jaime & Gareth for it. :D I want them as the "dynamic duo" for Warehouse 12. :D

tomstone
October 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I honestly didnĀ“t like the first time Helenas Story was told a bit, but this time around I really enjoyed seeing Catarenga and her dislike for Firearms.

This time it really felt like a fun World to explore. Besides that I really enjoy her Character, if she is not out to destroy the World of course.

mandogater
October 5th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Yep me too if they can get Jaime & Gareth for it. :D I want them as the "dynamic duo" for Warehouse 12. :D

And maybe have Erick Avari's character back for several episodes. Once H.G. described him as Warehouse 12's Claudia did anybody else think of Q from the James Bond movies?

Angela V
October 9th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Was I ever surprised to see the actress who plays HG Wells on Ringer! She has a small role though, just enough to keep her busy incase there is a spinoff hopefully.:D

mr_kennedy
October 10th, 2011, 01:34 AM

im thinking the same thing.......I bet we'll have Warehouse 13 and its spin off show Warehouse 12, during 2012's mid-season

I believe the series is supposed to be set in the 1800s, so that solves the problem.

But not that they don't have some sort of reset button in the works.

Yeesh.

Im betting they will press the reset button somehow in the Christmas Special

Was I ever surprised to see the actress who plays HG Wells on Ringer! She has a small role though, just enough to keep her busy incase there is a spinoff hopefully.:D

Yeah i kinda liked Jamie Murry since her days on Dexter even tho sometimes i think she only acts so she can appear naked on camra :lol:

SunKrux
October 10th, 2011, 06:39 AM
The Christmas special is a stand alone, like last years. It's part of the season but not of the season's over all story arc so don't expect the finale to even be mentioned. They didn't "reset" last season's cliffhanger with the Christmas special because it happened before Myka left.

mr_kennedy
October 11th, 2011, 03:46 AM
The Christmas special is a stand alone, like last years. It's part of the season but not of the season's over all story arc so don't expect the finale to even be mentioned. They didn't "reset" last season's cliffhanger with the Christmas special because it happened before Myka left.

I guess it probably will be pre-finale episode like Secret Santa

Galileo_Galilee
October 11th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Im betting they will press the reset button somehow in the Christmas Special

I'll bet you some rep they don't and wait until the next season to do so.

jelgate
October 11th, 2011, 07:00 AM
I guess it probably will be pre-finale episode like Secret SantaIt will probably be before the 40th Floor when we became aware of Sykes

aretood2
October 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM
It will probably be before the 40th Floor when we became aware of Sykes
I thought those episodes were supposed to be timeless?

jelgate
October 11th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I thought those episodes were supposed to be timeless?They basiclly are. Inserted before the finale arc as a random artifact hunt episode that we tend to see at the start of the season