PDA

View Full Version : The number of pods

KEK
May 11th, 2011, 02:57 AM
Isn't that a bit too convenient?

Lahela
May 11th, 2011, 02:59 AM
Quoted from my own post in the main thread:

Except that that did not happen. They never said they were precisely eight short. They said (thanks Callie for the transcrtipt):

VOLKER: Well, as you know, we’ve been powering up all the stasis pod corridors and it’s been ... it’s been going pretty well up until now. But, uh ...
YOUNG: Well, what is it?
VOLKER: It’s the last section. It must have taken some damage, possibly even before we came on board the ship. We can’t bring those pods online, so we’re not gonna have enough for everyone.
BRODY: The damaged pods put us eight short of the total we need.

Later, Eli says...

WALLACE: We repaired the eight pods, but one of them was more damaged than we thought. It came online with the rest of them, but when we ran final checks, it just ... died. We might be one short.

They didn't say how many were damaged, just that some of them were damaged and they were, therefore, eight short.

MattSilver 3k
May 11th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Meh, no less convenient than every other SG episode plot solution ever in the history of everything, but it's a hell of a lot better than the wormhole drive.

In fact, I suppose it's supposed to lend credence to Rush's statement last week about the ship not being a passenger ship. Sixty, or maybe less, crew, or so. Eight pods in each room... I'll say there's about eight stasis chambers...

Meh. Either way. Yes. It is convenient, but I'll forgive it. I'm good that way.

wolpertinger
May 11th, 2011, 03:06 AM
It also stands to reason that there are other pod rooms they just have not found OR they can't bring online for power reasons

The Destiny
May 11th, 2011, 03:21 AM
It is indeed convenient, so I like to think there were a couple of chambers more which were badly damaged, and that the chamber with 8 that they fixed was one of those. After fixing them 1 of them just died, but is still in better shape than the other couple rooms they didn't use.

But yeah, a tad convenient, but at least it served the plot instead of the wormhole drive taking over the job of the hyperdrive.

Lahela
May 11th, 2011, 03:33 AM
But it's not convenient, because they never said they were precisely eight short! They said a section was damaged, therefore they were eight short, meaning they had eight more people than working pods. They fixed eight (that they needed) with the mineral, but one of them died. They never said there weren't more than eight broken.

morrismike
May 11th, 2011, 03:50 AM
It sort of sucks that LA people were in pods and there was a terran going short.

Pharaoh Atem
May 11th, 2011, 05:21 AM
It sort of sucks that LA people were in pods and there was a terran going short.

I think Varro's the only LA left.

qingdom
May 11th, 2011, 05:29 AM

On the contrary, Gin is there... albeit, not physically.. just tucked away somewhere in Destiny's memory banks. =)

Pharaoh Atem
May 11th, 2011, 05:31 AM
On the contrary, Gin is there... albeit, not physically.. just tucked away somewhere in Destiny's memory banks. =)

She doesn't count

KEK
May 11th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Maths girl actually counts quite well as it happens...

Starsaber
May 11th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Maths girl actually counts quite well as it happens...

He meant she didn't need a stasis pod, so in terms of people using stasis pods, she wasn't a consideration.

Inquisitor
May 11th, 2011, 06:24 AM
If you take life too seriously, it ceases to be fun -Alan Shore :P

But yeah, I found it a bit convenient too, it would have been better to say "we could only fix eight of the remaining pods" rather than "we fixed the eight pods". Eli was left to fix the (only) remaining pod, or at least that's what the episode seemed to imply...

Greenfire32
May 11th, 2011, 06:43 AM

They couldn't power the last section of pods, putting 8 people into a bad spot and giving them the "8 short" line.

There wasn't only 8 pods in the last section, just 8 people would get screwed.

KEK
May 11th, 2011, 07:13 AM
He meant she didn't need a stasis pod, so in terms of people using stasis pods, she wasn't a consideration.

woosh

Lahela
May 11th, 2011, 09:48 AM
If you take life too seriously, it ceases to be fun -Alan Shore :P

But yeah, I found it a bit convenient too, it would have been better to say "we could only fix eight of the remaining pods" rather than "we fixed the eight pods". Eli was left to fix the (only) remaining pod, or at least that's what the episode seemed to imply...

The eight pods that needed to be fixed in order for there to be sufficient for everyone.

They couldn't power the last section of pods, putting 8 people into a bad spot and giving them the "8 short" line.

Precisely.

Perelandra
May 11th, 2011, 09:57 AM

This is exactly how I took it-not that there were exactly 8 damaged ones.

carmencatalina
May 11th, 2011, 11:00 AM
This is exactly how I took it-not that there were exactly 8 damaged ones.

Me, too. They were 8 short. Presumably, there were many damaged ones (more than 8). Then they fixed 8 exactly (because that's how many they needed) and then 1 fizzed out on them.

Maybe should have tried to fix a few spare ones, yes? Would have been good for Eli.

garhkal
May 11th, 2011, 05:59 PM
It also stands to reason that there are other pod rooms they just have not found OR they can't bring online for power reasons

And we can't know how many crew the ancients had planned to bring.. for all we know, there could be 3 or 4 ties this number of pods.

JoseP927
May 11th, 2011, 07:29 PM
We don't know for sure that Gin counts. She may be able to solve complex calculus equations but can't count from 1 - 10.

Edi
May 12th, 2011, 10:17 AM
So, whats the chance that the number of pods on Destiny EXACTLY equals the number of people on board? One pod brakes and one has to stay behind.. wow. No other pods.. no other people to stay behind.. - they are exactly the same count.

LtColCarter
May 12th, 2011, 11:06 AM
So, whats the chance that the number of pods on Destiny EXACTLY equals the number of people on board? One pod brakes and one has to stay behind.. wow. No other pods.. no other people to stay behind.. - they are exactly the same count.

It was never said that they had the exact number of pods. They said the last bank of pods was damaged (they never clarified how many were in that area of damaged pods), and they would be short 8 pods because of this. They were able to repair 8 of the damaged pods and 1 of the 8 failed. This was addressed in another thread as well.

Pharaoh Atem
May 12th, 2011, 11:17 AM
destiny's a big ship there might be tons

mi_guard
May 12th, 2011, 11:24 AM
so couldn't Eli just look for other pods instead of repairing the damaged one?

LtColCarter
May 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM
so couldn't Eli just look for other pods instead of repairing the damaged one?

They made it sound like the last batch of pods they found had been damaged. So, it makes you think that those are the last pods...of which they fixed 8...but one pooped out.

Edi
May 12th, 2011, 12:33 PM
so if those ware the last 8 pods and one of them died .. and the other 7 ware taken (as otherwise Eli could just go in one of those) and noone else got left out.. wait, wait, let me do the math ..

LtColCarter
May 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM
They never said how many total damaged pods there were. They just said that they found the pods and they were damaged. Because the pods they found were damaged it would leave 8 people without a stasis pods. So, they got the minerals from that planet to repair only the 8 pods that they'd need. They repaired 8 of the damaged pods, but one died after coming on. There's no need for math. Again, we don't know the total number of damaged pods.

Nth Chevron
May 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I am sure there were redundant Stasis rooms elsewhere on Destiny - we havent searched all of her yet, not to mention Eli isnt likely gonna look through Destiny for more stasis pods, odds are he'll do a keyword search for more, whilst trying to fix the original pod, it'll say theres more and then he has to find out how to get there, leave a message and link the pod he will occupy into the program the other pods are running.

N.C

Gollumpus
May 12th, 2011, 06:05 PM

I draw your collective attention to this screen cap. Look at the guys to the lower right:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=334455&fullsize=1

regards,
G.

Shylodog
May 12th, 2011, 06:36 PM
I draw your collective attention to this screen cap. Look at the guys to the lower right:

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=334455&fullsize=1

regards,
G.

Those would definitely be LA personnel. Good catch. :)

garhkal
May 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM
It would have been nice to know how many there were going to be on the Ancients crew that would have come out, that way we would know how many pods there would be.

erotavlas
May 13th, 2011, 09:06 PM

It was destiny :D

Nth Chevron
May 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM
When Destiny gets fully explored - you will have your answer :)

N.C

wabbit42
May 15th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Plothole Pods.