PDA

View Full Version : Something got through post!

Lucylee
May 12th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Darren (@Gateworld) tweeted this little item he found last night:

@GateWorld Sacrebleu! Not the Easter Egg you might want to see ... RT @SFNexus SGU Faux Pas Extraordinaire !! - http://clicky.me/5HdD

MattSilver 3k
May 12th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Yeah somebody else has gone over that multiple times around here. Either way, I'm sure it's just a joke.

Lucylee
May 12th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Oops, didn't notice this was already noted in the ep discussion thread. Will ask mods to delete this thread if they want. :cool:

Pharaoh Atem
May 12th, 2011, 08:27 AM
First I heard of it

P5C768
May 12th, 2011, 08:44 AM
"The French" must be code for "SyFY."

KEK
May 12th, 2011, 08:55 AM
It was posted on Stargate Fusion. Mixed reactions to say the least.

LtColCarter
May 12th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Yeah...I saw it as well...

doomsday-guy
May 12th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Is that what the CMBR code is? Maybe a wild guess?

KEK
May 12th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I'm guessing it was only meant as a joke, and perhaps something like that is more socially acceptable as a bit of banter in Canada, but I think people are more than justified in being offended by xenophobic remarks like that in the show. They really should put out an apology in my opinion.

doomsday-guy
May 12th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I'm guessing it was only meant as a joke, and perhaps something like that is more socially acceptable as a bit of banter in Canada, but I think people are more than justified in being offended by xenophobic remarks like that in the show. They really should put out an apology in my opinion.

At first I was quite shocked, but then thought it would be a joke because I don't think anyone would mean it. An apology would be a good idea, or otherwise there's gonna be a lot of anger stirred up.

meo3000
May 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Unacceptable. Maybe more fans would be outraged if it said "**** the Americans".

Now the last episode of Stargate, ever, will be remembered for this. Good job, production crew, way to ensure the franchise never comes back.

LtColCarter
May 12th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Unacceptable. Maybe more fans would be outraged if it said "**** the Americans".

I wonder if its photoshopped.

Naonak
May 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Now the last episode of Stargate, ever, will be remembered for this. Good job, production crew, way to ensure the franchise never comes back.
Good job nobody's getting hysterical about this.

Shylodog
May 12th, 2011, 09:33 AM
I wonder if its photoshopped.

It's not. I rewatched the episode from iTunes. It's there.

Maybe it's the message Destiny is trying to collect and Chole has decyphered it. It's only what they've gotten so far. Maybe the rest has something to do with mimes.

doomsday-guy
May 12th, 2011, 09:40 AM
It's not. I rewatched the episode from iTunes. It's there.

Maybe it's the message Destiny is trying to collect and Chole has decyphered it. It's only what they've gotten so far. Maybe the rest has something to do with mimes.

Im joking here but maybe there's a disclaimer just out of shot that says "Destiny in no way shares the views expressed by the fingerprints in the CMBR"

Shylodog
May 12th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Im joking here but maybe there's a disclaimer just out of shot that says "Destiny in no way shares the views expressed by the fingerprints in the CMBR"

I've seen it a few times here, but what is CMBR? I'm guessing the Background Radiation part. I'm just getting the rest of the acronym.

Naonak
May 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
I've seen it a few times here, but what is CMBR? I'm guessing the Background Radiation part. I'm just getting the rest of the acronym.
Cosmic Microwave.

Flibby
May 12th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Glad to see (most of) the people on here are keeping their heads on about this. The people over at Scifi Nexus seem to all be anti-SGU bigots and are blowing it way out of proportion.

Pharaoh Atem
May 12th, 2011, 11:37 AM
"The French" must be code for "SyFY."

thats how i took it

Flibby
May 12th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I find it interesting that it seems that the U was blurred out in post-production, rather than the chalk itself being smudged, based on how the blur doesn't seem to be static.

LtColCarter
May 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM
I say its all Rush's doing! ;)

Flibby
May 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
It looks like it might say something after "French", but I can't really make out any letters. Is it just equation stuff?

Pharaoh Atem
May 12th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I saw its all Rush's doing! ;)

he blames the frech for something :eek:

LtColCarter
May 12th, 2011, 11:54 AM
he blames the frech for something :eek:

Very possible...

Artemis-Neith
May 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I would never have seen it without the note.

My first thought was: oops!

One of the crew or cast made a "joke", which is, rethinking about it, not that funny. Wonder what happened the day(s) in the real world that might have lead to this "note".

Guess the studio has to rework/photoshopping that part a bit for the DVD release.

(And, I guess they have a small chance as well, to get the delinquent, cos of the hand writing, if it tells something, don't know if it's enough text for that.
So, whoever this did, be prepared ;))

Flibby
May 12th, 2011, 12:13 PM
It's almost certainly too late; release is in 2 and a half weeks.

tomstone
May 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Wasnt there something like this before? I dont know the exact post, but I think it was about some Series of Stargate. For what I remember, there where clear Guidelines by Sci-fi that prohibited showing Headshots or something like that and usually checked all scripts before they went into production. Then soon before the show got cancelled, even that happened intentionally and it went through all checkpoints, profing that Sci-fi did not care anymore. So could it be the same happening here since its pretty readable with any Quality.

SSJPabs
May 12th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Mallozzi apologizes. (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/may-12-2011-stargate-universe-beyond-season-2-what-might-have-been/)

I put your comment in moderation because I suspected this was faked. Unfortunately, I don’t have an HD copy of the episode with me in Toronto and the versions I accessed online are too dark. I sent word back West for what I believed would be proof discrediting the still. After all, I figured, would someone be so stupid/ignorant to do something like this and think no one would eventually notice? Well, it pains me to report that it isn’t a fake. And so, as one of the show’s Exec. Producers and the one on the front lines of the internet, it falls on me to offer an apology to all of our French fans who have been nothing short of fantastic in their support of the franchise. I am, and you’ll excuse me as I go off here, mighty pissed-off as, not only someone who has appreciated the French support our show and this blog have enjoyed over the years, but someone who grew up in Montreal, a multicultural and bilingual city, speaking French from fourth grade on.

How the hell did we miss it? No excuses. I don’t know. In the past, certain things have gotten past us. There was the infamous Snickers bar in SGA’s The Ark. There was the boom mike in SGU’s Space. And, most memorable of all, was the camera operator in the SGA season four premiere that we only noticed during the Day 2 mix – and only because eagle-eyed Martin Gero was the one to suddenly notice – in the opening scene, a bunch of medical equipment sweeps by followed by Weir on the gurney and, finally the camera operator bringing up the rear! In the case of this incident, we missed it and I’m sorry. Paul suspects that the reason it got by everyone is that the shot is actually a visual effect and that, whenever we watched it, rather than taking in other aspects of the room, we were focusing on the set extension behind the approaching Chloe to make sure it worked – thereby missing what was right in front of us.

Yes, I’m pissed-off and also extremely disappointed that: a) fans were offended and b) this taints an otherwise noteworthy episode. At present, I have no idea who was responsible but, in the event the guilty party frequents this blog (or someone who knows the guilty party frequents this blog and would be kind enough to pass this along), I’d like to say: “Seriously? The ****ing series finale? Thanks a lot, douchebag."

So who knows, maybe they'll find out who did it. Wouldn't F*** SyFy have been more appropriate?

TheRandomOne
May 12th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I wonder what the French did to piss Rush off to have such a huge grudge ?

rlr149
May 12th, 2011, 02:12 PM
its plausible that is what a character(rush's dad worked in the glasgow shipyards, rush went to oxford) from england might say, especially rush who HAS been offensive in many circumstances.

the english and french have fought more than a few wars in the past 1000 years. a bit of rivalry is to be expected. case in point:
the first to climb a climbing route gets to name it traditionally....Ben_Moon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Moon), an english climber, named his routes after french military defeats.
the english use to call VD "the french disease"..... guess what the french called it!
they say we have bland food, we say they always surrender, none of it is given or taken particularly seriously........... or we would still be at war!! pretty sure canada and america do something similar.

perhaps it shouldn't have been shown, almost certainly even........ but if your going to be offended on someone elses behalf, think it through first:ronananime28:

Major_Griff
May 12th, 2011, 02:42 PM
I don't take it to mean the French as in people from France, but rather French Canadians. That makes it okay.

only kidding.

P-90_177
May 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM
It's actually fairly realistic....logically Rush wrote it.........Rush being the good Scottish bloke he is would naturally hate the french. :P

Skiznot
May 12th, 2011, 03:03 PM
There's more to the message. Maybe there's a "T" and the full message is [email protected]#$ the French Toast.

Skiznot
May 12th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Oh I noticed in one recent episode TJ still had scars from "The Hunt" then in one scene at the mess hall bench thing she was all better.

Nth Chevron
May 12th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Maybe the head f Sci-fi is French?

Either way, that was well risky, i thought the episode had been filmed BEFORE announcement of the cancellation.

What if that was a part of the Season 3 "last time..."

N.C

garhkal
May 12th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Funny we are discussing this.. i will have to wait till i get the dvd set to see it properly.

Major_Griff
May 12th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Oh I noticed in one recent episode TJ still had scars from "The Hunt" then in one scene at the mess hall bench thing she was all better.

There was a time jump at the end of the episode in question.

geddarkstorm
May 12th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Guys, it was obviously not sanctioned or intentionally. I do wonder if there's more to it and it just got cut off by the camera in a really bad spot; but either way, it's clear TPTB never intended it and simply never noticed it before airing.

NicolasB
May 15th, 2011, 05:46 PM
As a French Canadian, there's a few thought I'd like to share on the matter :

1) I really hope that before MGM release the episode on DVD they will at least pay someone to do a VFX and edit it out. It would be the descent thing to do. Regardless of the fact that the show is cancelled (and regardless of the following point I'm gonna make here). Down the road the fact remains that this what we are seeing right now on the screen and it doesn't send a good message. Even though the DVD is due to be released in a couple of weeks, I would rather see the DVD release postponed by a few weeks then have this be part of the version available to the general public.

2) I really wish I could see the full image and what is written after the "French" word. Someone said "Toast" and maybe that could be the case but I don't understand that something written with such big letter wasn't noticed by the people on the set at the moment of filming. Someone like Elyse Levesque (who's in that scene) or even Robert Carlyle are known to be bilingual (and Levesque is actually from Quebec if I remember correctly) so I have an hard time believing that they wouldn't react to it and comment to someone on set about it. Maybe they didn't notice it but I would really like to hear their comment on the subject. I'm also pretty sure they weren't the only member of the crew that were bilingual and on the set when this was filmed. So once again, it's possible it wasn't noticed during post-editing but during filming, I really really find it odd.

3) In any case, if this was indeed not noticed by anyone there during filming and is indeed meant to be written "**** the french", like someone posted above, I think it would probably be meant more against the French Canadians than the French from France. There's a bit of intolerance when in comes to French vs English in Canada (intolerance that goes both way and is not spread toward the entire population luckily but still through enough people that it's more and more noticeable) and it wouldn't surprise me the slighthest that someone could actually write something like that. There's a growing tension between the two cultures and I really hope it goes better before it goes worst.

garhkal
May 16th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I wonder if they would put in 2 different scenes.. one edited so its not there, and one unedited.

Major_Griff
May 16th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I wonder if they would put in 2 different scenes.. one edited so its not there, and one unedited.

So the french haters among us can watch the episode with this in?

Flibby
May 17th, 2011, 03:57 AM
As a French Canadian, there's a few thought I'd like to share on the matter :

1) I really hope that before MGM release the episode on DVD they will at least pay someone to do a VFX and edit it out. It would be the descent thing to do. Regardless of the fact that the show is cancelled (and regardless of the following point I'm gonna make here). Down the road the fact remains that this what we are seeing right now on the screen and it doesn't send a good message. Even though the DVD is due to be released in a couple of weeks, I would rather see the DVD release postponed by a few weeks then have this be part of the version available to the general public.

That's not gonna happen. That's way more money than they'd be willing to spend on something pointless like that. Also, the DVD's have most likely been in mass production for a while now, so all those would go to waste.
Maybe for the Bluray release and Complete Series release.

KEK
May 17th, 2011, 03:10 PM

I think you're being a little bit melodramatic. Very few people are even aware of it, and even if everyone was, it still wouldn't ensure that the franchise wouldn't come back. If anything, a little bit of high profile controversy would help it.