Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ring teleporter not invented by the Ancients?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring teleporter not invented by the Ancients?

Other than the elevator-like transporter which could be based on the same technology as the ring teleporter, we (at least I) haven't seen anything that resemble the ring teleporter on the puddle jumpers or anywhere else on Atlantis.

So did the Ancients invent the ring teleporters?

We know the Goa'uld counldn't have invented it on their own so did they get that from the Tollans or perhaps even the Furlings?
    I just love shows about wormholes!

It maybe possible that the ancients invented the ring transporters but later they developed a better transportation system therefore the ring transporters were old and out of date technology which they stopped using. It could also be possible that the Gou’old studied the ancient transporter technology and created there own version of it hence the ring transporters.
    "Love is not for life, it's for one week only" Wass

“You have to stay in shape. My grandmother, she started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 today and we don't know where the hell she is.” Ellen DeGeners

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'.” Homer Simpson

“It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up, because by that time I was too famous.” Robert Benchley

“What is it with McDonald's staff who pretend they don't understand you unless you insert the 'Mc' before the item you're ordering? It has to be a McChicken burger...a chicken burger gets blank looks. Well, I'll have a McStraw and jam it into your McEyes, you f**cking Mc******!” Billy Connolly

“Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? ...He's a mile away and you've got his shoes.” Billy Connolly

Comment

Its highly likely the ancients did invent the ring transporters. Afterall it resembles ancient technology and there were rings at the ancient outpost in the lost city pt 2 which the goauld would not of put there.

Comment

Don't forget the sound they both make.

Comment

yeah rings did always seem to be sorter ranged versions of the gate so it is more than likely the ancients did make em.

But also since they updated the gate design its likely they also redid the transporters.
          sigpic
          Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard
            yeah rings did always seem to be sorter ranged versions of the gate so it is more than likely the ancients did make em.
            They both are in the shape of rings, and they are both the same color. Similarities end there.

Ring transporters don't use wormholes, they simply convert matter to energy and move it. They're not shorter ranged Gates, they have nothing in common when it comes to the way they work.

Comment

They were described as working in a similar fashion by Martouf in season 3. "They are like the gate but work over shorter distances".

Comment

Originally posted by somme
                They were described as working in a similar fashion by Martouf in season 3. "They are like the gate but work over shorter distances".
                which is pretty much wat i said. thanks for that quote!
                sigpic

Comment

The rings don't use wormholes because there's no reason to jump dimensions when traveling such a short distance. mid-PSL is more then enough when travelling planet->orbit.

Comment

i didnt actually say they used wormholes, theyre just like sort ranged gates, used a different method of transfer!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Quetzcoatl
                      They both are in the shape of rings, and they are both the same color. Similarities end there.

Ring transporters don't use wormholes, they simply convert matter to energy and move it. They're not shorter ranged Gates, they have nothing in common when it comes to the way they work.
                      Elite Anubis Guard: This is what I commented on.

Comment

EAG seems to hve the right idea. We know the anceints invented rings as there were some in antartica.

But ALtantis was their last place and must have had all their coolest tech including closets!
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

I did remember it being mentioned on SG-1 at some point that the rings are similar to the gates. Thanks for the quote on that.

I just want to point out that the Wraith also have some kind of transporter technology, the one that they use to beam people up to their ship. But I guess
                          Spoilers for the Gift
                          Spoiler:
                          the Wraith are related to the Ancients.

I posted this questioon because I noticed the lack of ring transporter in the puddle jumper.

Spoilers for the Seige Part 1
                          Spoiler:
                          The team was unable to ring in and out of the satellite which also build by the Ancients should have the tech. Perhaps Grodin was able to find the ring transporter in the last second and ringed on to the planet?
                          I just love shows about wormholes!

Comment

It is possible that the Goaulds reverse engineered some of the stargate technology to form these ring transports. Just because they are parasitcal and steal technology for themselves doesn't mean they couldn't be smart enough to use the technology for other purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by 5th Chevron
                              It is possible that the Goaulds reverse engineered some of the stargate technology to form these ring transports. Just because they are parasitcal and steal technology for themselves doesn't mean they couldn't be smart enough to use the technology for other purposes.
                              in Lost City 2" daniel specifically said "Well we know the Ancients built whatever is down there so there must be rings somewhere down there" if you listen to the closets when they operate and watch the way the light moves when the doors are closed it is the same as the rings. i think the closets use the same technology, they are just built into the city. when you think about it it makes sense. if atlantis was a busy city, which it probably was, with people comming and going all the time and people walking around you wouldnt want rings poppoing up or dropping down all the time or someone might get hurt. there probably are some sets of rings scattered around the city, they just havnt been activated yet since we dont have a ship to go to or from. the PJ dont have rings because, where would they put them? there is no room inside for them. people forget that the PJ are really small! they fit through the gate and still have full engines built in and could hold a dozen people comfortably, plus a four man flight crew up front. the actual hull and mechanisms built into the walls ant be more than a foot or so thick because there is atleast 10 or so feet from wall to wall. now in "Before I Sleep"
                              Spoiler:

there was a transport ship in bound with over 300 people on it. the city was already under water so they must have had some way of getting them from the ship to the city. i bet there are overlarge mass transport, ring transporters somewhere.

the closets are just in city transporters using ring technolgy, maybe compatable with regulars, maybe not. but remember we have only seen a tiny tiny fraction of the city, so im sure they are there somewhere

Comment

Working...
                              X