History of the four great races?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

History of the four great races?

I was just rewatching the Fifth race and I started to try to remember if the Asgard ever gave us some history on the Nox and Furlings? Of course we were pretty close with the Asgard at one point and you would think one day someone would ask for more information about those two advanced groups that earth didn't really know to much about.

Well we met the Nox for ourselves so maybe we would have got some history lessons from them.
    sigpic

Comment

All we know of the Furlings is from the planet in Paradise Lost.
      sigpic

Comment

we know no history of the nox or furlings, other than they were part of the alliance, and both have been in our galaxy. we know the nox are still here. they're also incredibly peaceful.

the only recorded writings we have of the furlings is the arch in paradise lost, and we haven't a clue about their tech, and in torment of tantalus(?) in the meeting chamber. the paradise planet seems to be where they may have attempted to entrap and mentally damage enemies into suicide or murder against each other (going from jack and maybourne's hallucinations.) that said, it is possible that they intended the planet for their own use, and that the chemical interferences are a side-effect based on different biochemistry. i'm speculating, and poorly, on this one.

IF the asgard have left us any information, it's in the database core they left with us. in theory, i'd expect info to be in the atlantis database too, but tbh both are the recorded information of their respective races - and the ancients removed so much that we've no idea whether they'd record their allies.
        Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf O'Donnell View Post
          I was just rewatching the Fifth race and I started to try to remember if the Asgard ever gave us some history on the Nox and Furlings? Of course we were pretty close with the Asgard at one point and you would think one day someone would ask for more information about those two advanced groups that earth didn't really know to much about.
          one would think lol major plothole
          If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
          [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
            the only recorded writings we have of the furlings is the arch in paradise lost, and we haven't a clue about their tech, and in torment of tantalus(?) in the meeting chamber. the paradise planet seems to be where they may have attempted to entrap and mentally damage enemies into suicide or murder against each other (going from jack and maybourne's hallucinations.) that said, it is possible that they intended the planet for their own use, and that the chemical interferences are a side-effect based on different biochemistry. i'm speculating, and poorly, on this one.

original alternative thinkin that the Furling tried entrappin their enemies--but given their tech-lvl, think they'd have dealt directly with them; maybe more likely the Go'auld did that

IF the asgard have left us any information, it's in the database core they left with us. in theory, i'd expect info to be in the atlantis database too, but tbh both are the recorded information of their respective races - and the ancients removed so much that we've no idea whether they'd record their allies.
            another plothole--aren't Stargate Program staff intersted to know bout the Furlings?? Or maybe they got too busy?? Who knows??
            If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
            [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

however, things like the databases aren't going to be given to the SGC.

one needs to remember the role of the facility, and the two other relevant facilities as well.

the SGC mandate is primarily explorative. they bring plenty back, but unless it's able to be studied in their spare time it's really not their job to go in-depth on many items. they do send teams through the gate for prolonged research, but i can't remember any where this is purely cultural, and never for purely cultural investigation into races that aren't around. an initial survey is performed, reasons for coming back identified, and the teams like SG-1 move on.

thus, many things are shipped off to Area 51. this is the real R&D facility, where things actually get done. the're able to study anything that comes through their doors. of course, since we've seen very little of the furlings, there's probably nothing brought back.

Homeworld Command also has a say in things these days - they oversee everything on the Stargate program, as well as the defence of earth. they set research priorities as a general policy, and while A51 can decide which items to study, when HC says defence tech A51 would have to justify in-depth exploration of a race with almost no information about them. particularly with no defence capacity indicated.

also, the IOA are a civilian oversight to the Stargate program. they, like HC, will want to see earth benefit - and in Ark of Truth they were prepared to build a replicator to try to do that. fact is, the IOA have a civilian attitude to 'defence' and 'benefit' that even the military have balked at before (replicator, anubis' son and prior jackson come to mind.) they're even less likely to see benefit in a civilisation we've had 2 encounters with, both of which were equally fruitless.

Comment

I think I heard on one of the commentaries (Fifth Race?) that the writer of that episode thought Fifth Race sounded better than Fourth Race, which is why the Furlings were added.
                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by wabbit42 View Post
                  All we know of the Furlings is from the planet in Paradise Lost.
                  What was said about the Furlings in "Paradise Lost"? That was the episode where Jack and Maybourne were stranded together for a month. I don't recall anything being said about the Furlings in that episode.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    What was said about the Furlings in "Paradise Lost"? That was the episode where Jack and Maybourne were stranded together for a month. I don't recall anything being said about the Furlings in that episode.
                    I found this is the summary of the episode:

In exchange, he wants a full presidential pardon. O'Neill reluctantly agrees, for now, and Harry turns himself in to the SGC. The team visits the world without him, and his story checks out -- it's a deserted world with signs of highly advanced technology. But the arch discovered in a small, stone structure is not Ancient in origin; the writing indicates that the technology it conceals is that of the Furlings, another member of the old alliance of advanced alien races ("The Fifth Race").
                    Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      i went back and listened through a bit before writing my above stuff.

there's a couple of lines, about how the writing is from one of the 4 races. jonas says it's the furlings, jack says he hates those guys - because he can't imagine cute furry things building any good guns

Comment

I guess to me is just seems strange that the only thing we are going off of is the leftover ruins from the Furlings when for a while we were allied with the Asgard who were friends with the furlings. I feel like Carter should have asked Thor about the furlings or just about the Alliance between the four races.

Comment

theoretically, yeah, but tbh - thor, at best, is only one of the highest-ranking members of the asgard. he's supreme commander of their fleet, but he's not the leader of their council and he's certainly not in a diplomatic-oriented role.

when he showed up, there were important things to do like destroy yet another bug infestation (and no, i didn't like repli-lines. but that's beside the point )

governments themselves don't like sharing information, and as he was only one of them, thor couldn't ncessarily step against them.

it's similar to jacob carter tbh - he became tokra, and he went deathly silent on what he learned. and he obviously learned a lot. only when replicators and ba'al were fighting did he step up to share info, and even then it was against the wishes of the council.

Comment

Working...
                          X