• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devil's advocate

First, a disclaimer...I love SGU, I'm sad it ended,
    <Snipped by Moderator.>

So, here's my question...

You've found Stasis pods, you've got all but one working, you're going in there in the full knowledge that you could wake up 1000 years later....

Why not aim the ship at Earth and accept the million year sleep? The world you knew will be just as dead in 1,000,000 as it would be in 1,000, so what the hell?

I thought the actual ending was brilliant, BTW...Just speculating...
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 10 May 2011, 09:50 AM.

You still age in ancient stasis pods. You'd be dead in a million years.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Plus there is no telling Destiny would even make it. And they do fully intend to carry out the mission; they just needed to get to the new galaxy first.

Comment

They don't have the power for a million year trip. They barely have enough for the 3 year trip.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
          They don't have the power for a million year trip. They barely have enough for the 3 year trip.
          destiny can recharge without people to control it though.

granted, if it can't get somewhere safely it could have to kill 'em all by overhot solar recharge, but, y'know... it CAN work without them
          Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
            destiny can recharge without people to control it though.

granted, if it can't get somewhere safely it could have to kill 'em all by overhot solar recharge, but, y'know... it CAN work without them
            I don't think so. The blue sun recharge trick was a one time deal. The drones won't fall for that again. So no safe recharge in this galaxy. Maybe in the next galaxy but only if they get there. Definitely no recharge option in the void between galaxies.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
              I don't think so. The blue sun recharge trick was a one time deal. The drones won't fall for that again. So no safe recharge in this galaxy. Maybe in the next galaxy but only if they get there. Definitely no recharge option in the void between galaxies.
              however, since you say they have the power for the 3-year trip, i'm making the rather safe assumption that - unless the drones have developed the ability to track destiny in FTL (last i saw, they hadn't) - that they will get there. just that first sun might not be quite what's wanted, or someone else who doesn't know the destiny might be waiting. million-year deal can still work, as long as it's lucky.

Comment

Elizabeth Weir aged as though she was a hundred years old after spending 10.000 years in a stasis pod on Atlantis, and I assume stasis would've developed during the millions of years after Destiny was launched, even if only slightly. After a 1000 years in those pods they would all probably be old and frail. If pressing onward and continueing with the mission they might yet find a way of getting home; they got on the ship after all.. an Icarustype planet would do it.

Comment

The Million year trip was kind of an arbitrary number...I'd forgotten the slow aging process while in stasis, which is silly of me because I've only just got on to SGA Season 3, which means it's only been....oh three days since I watched that episode...

As for power requirements, Destiny managed perfectly well before the Icarus people showed up, so I don't think the question of power is as much of an issue as the aging problem.

I doubt anyone aboard Destiny would be aware of Weir's adventures 10,000 years ago, so if I was them, I'd definitely be tempted to turn the ship around and go back the way they came. Shorter hop to their previous galaxy, quick hops to refuel would probably not get the attention of the blueberry aliens, then the long trip home. Yep, that's what I'd do.

Comment

Destiny barely made the last intergalactig jumps without running out of power, so power is definately an issue. However Destiny has travelled that path once so if it's autopilot atomatically refuels like it used to, then it should be able to make it.

it would still take a million years. I'm not sure if it's even worth attempting. Whatever you want to go back to is gone. Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
                      Destiny barely made the last intergalactig jumps without running out of power, so power is definately an issue. However Destiny has travelled that path once so if it's autopilot atomatically refuels like it used to, then it should be able to make it.
                      Except that would still involve going back through drone space. Plus Blue guys space. Plus whoever else attacked Destiny in the millions of years since it left.

Comment

True.

If the commandships have also blockaded all the stars in the opposite direction they'd be in trouble.

however they are only 1/3 into the galaxy and the previous void is smaller than the next, so if they can make the jump to the next galaxy, they can also make it back, with energy to spare. The blue aliens don't seem to be able to take down Destiny and with control of the ship we can jump or fly away.

Comment

Originally posted by The Destiny View Post
                          Elizabeth Weir aged as though she was a hundred years old after spending 10.000 years in a stasis pod on Atlantis, and I assume stasis would've developed during the millions of years after Destiny was launched, even if only slightly. After a 1000 years in those pods they would all probably be old and frail. If pressing onward and continueing with the mission they might yet find a way of getting home; they got on the ship after all.. an Icarustype planet would do it.
                          I thought Weir only aged as much as she did because she kept having to come out of stasis to rotate the ZPM's.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                            I thought Weir only aged as much as she did because she kept having to come out of stasis to rotate the ZPM's.
                            The crew of the Aurora aged in a similar manner and they spent the entire time in stasis.
                            sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                              3 times, in 10,000 years though.

if that causes what must be - and i'll be generous here - 80ish (assuming she was 30) years of ageing... then theres something wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X