PDA

View Full Version : Destiny, I love you

carmencatalina
May 10th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Ok, I know this will brand me as the worst sort of sci-fi geek, but was anyone else just all misty-eyed at that final shot of Destiny flying away into the stars?

I just feel like the ship has become one of the most beloved characters of the show for me! Sure, she takes a bit to turn around in a fire-fight (when she dropped out practically on top of the control ship, it took a bit for Scott to get her in position for Greer to take the shot, but she did turn!). Maybe not the most graceful ship ever, but for her size, surprisingly light-footed!

Artemis-Neith
May 10th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Destiny is, for me, the most beautiful space ship on any scifi show I do remember. And possibly will be.

Also liked the B5 ships, and the base stars from N-BSG, but none of them are like Destiny.

MattSilver 3k
May 10th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Destiny long ago became a loveable ship character, right up there with Moya, the Galactica, the Serenity... Sad to see her go.

Rylor
May 10th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I was, and I am not ashamed for it. Destiny is one of the most beautiful ships I've ever seen, and watching her fly away into the distance was a very sad moment.

So let me say: Destiny, I love you :)

g.o.d
May 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM
with Galactica, best ships in the Universe

Pharaoh Atem
May 10th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Destiny is beatiful and very much a chatacter

Shylodog
May 10th, 2011, 08:42 AM
It's amazing that the oldest, rustiest pieces of flying junk become the most endearing characters in the stories to us the viewers. Millennium Falcon, Serenity, The soon-be-mothballed Gallactica, Moya, Atlantis and now Destiny. She's very much in good company.

Perelandra
May 10th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Oh, absolutely, without a doubt. I was more than just misty-eyed. The tears were flowing.
And that final shot of Destiny powering down and the gate going dark............

thekillman
May 10th, 2011, 09:34 AM
i just loved the reversed Air "power up" sequence

wabbit42
May 10th, 2011, 10:15 AM

This. It was great, almost like they had planned it to be the series finale.

rancher
May 10th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Destiny, Atlantis, Enterprise, Serenity, and last, but not least, although a bit different, the TARDIS (suppose that will be the next one to be canceled). Wish BBC would pick up Universe for at least a miniseries at some point, though this was a decent stopping point.

Rylor
May 10th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Yeah, that was a great way to come "full circle". Although it was pretty depressing seeing the whole ship going dark :(

jsonitsac
May 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
It kind of reminded me of the last shot of Star Trek TNG of the Enterprise-D.

Spidey3121
May 10th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I loved the Destiny - it was a great ship.

Dr Lee
May 10th, 2011, 01:33 PM
A bit like the Stargate itself.... Destiny has become more than just a ship...

(Hell, i know a dude that constantly rags on the show, yet he's building his 8th/9th/10th 3D model of the ship...)

myhelix
May 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
The Ship, the design, I just can echo what everyone have said here, one, when not the most beautiful creation in SciFi history from Mark Savela and his FX crew!!!

I would like to have a model of the Destiny. I miss it already. :(

Dr Lee
May 10th, 2011, 01:47 PM
the thing for me with the ship was that she was such a different design to what we have seen, but she was elegant... Would have loved to have seen the ship in it's FULL glory...

knowles2
May 10th, 2011, 02:21 PM
the thing for me with the ship was that she was such a different design to what we have seen, but she was elegant... Would have loved to have seen the ship in it's FULL glory...

Same here. I am betting She would have look absolutely gorgeous, especially the interior decor, if the shuttle is anything to go by.

nx01a
May 10th, 2011, 02:23 PM
At least I'm not the only one who loves his space ships like characters. :)

kimmyg
May 10th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I had tears falling from the dinner scenes. So far I've watched Gauntlet 8x and still tear up at same spot. Destiny is a beautiful ship. I will miss her.

garhkal
May 10th, 2011, 08:12 PM
It's amazing that the oldest, rustiest pieces of flying junk become the most endearing characters in the stories to us the viewers. Millennium Falcon, Serenity, The soon-be-mothballed Gallactica, Moya, Atlantis and now Destiny. She's very much in good company.

It is ironic that some of the oldest pieces of junk become the most loved...

I would like to have a model of the Destiny. I miss it already.

I'd love a full set of all the ships... Say 1:72 scale for all fighter types (inc alkeshes), 1:240 for the big ships... 1:700 for the HUGE ones (ori, wraith hives and atlantis itself)..

geddarkstorm
May 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I seriously like my ships having character and lives of their own, so to speak. Destiny had that, enough that it could refuse to listen, or be very vocal in its complaints. It was very enjoyable, and I wish it could have been explored more.

Those old ships have history and personality. Truly unique.

greenguywithlasereye
May 10th, 2011, 08:43 PM
i teared up when i saw it too...especially the Eli stuff this was dare i say a powerful eli episode. And the crews arrival changes where the ship goes and what it does, as the ship is 'aware' of this. human search for truth and scientific inquiry isnt perfect so things will happen, like drone ships...

Rush had assured Chloe few episodes back that all these things happened 'for a reason' .... and while he was bothered about what keys to understanding the cmbr/succeeding in the ancients' mission, might be missed due to their skipping past this area of space, Im content thinking chloe and eli talked about her convo w/rush, and after eli frozee young and rush, not only did he figure out how to get the pod to work, he also figured out how to remotely retrieve that data w/o alerting command ships. or at least, some kind of plan perhaps involving using the ships simulation to make up for lost space in continuing to"solve" destinys mission.that would REALLY one up rush when he woke up. lol so we see eli kind of smirk at the end. well that works for me anyway. very last-man ish. do i detect a last man rewatch?

Cold Fuzz
May 10th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Of all the ships I've seen in the Stargate realm, my favorites have been the Asgard ships, especially the O'Neill and Beliskner-class ships, the Aurora class battleships, and Destiny. She may not be nearly as advanced as the others, particularly in shield strength or weapons, but her sleekness and the ability to recharge inside stars makes her unique and very special. She will be missed.

Edit: Though she's very different from everything else we've seen, I can see how Ancient designs would gradually evolve from the Destiny footprint to give rise to the Aurora-class battleships.

Blistna
May 10th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Ok, I know this will brand me as the worst sort of sci-fi geek, but was anyone else just all misty-eyed at that final shot of Destiny flying away into the stars?

I just feel like the ship has become one of the most beloved characters of the show for me! Sure, she takes a bit to turn around in a fire-fight (when she dropped out practically on top of the control ship, it took a bit for Scott to get her in position for Greer to take the shot, but she did turn!). Maybe not the most graceful ship ever, but for her size, surprisingly light-footed!

Destiny is, for me, the most beautiful space ship on any scifi show I do remember. And possibly will be.

Also liked the B5 ships, and the base stars from N-BSG, but none of them are like Destiny.

I second both of your comments! Destiny is an amazing ship and design. I am so sad SyFy cancelled such a great show. Hopefully it's not over entirely.

icsteffi
May 11th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I just want to say that I really like you carmencatalina :) I can't say anything new. This is all just so sad. Destiny is still out there. Sci-fi nerds unite.

myhelix
May 11th, 2011, 03:08 AM
I just want to say that I really like you carmencatalina :) I can't say anything new. This is all just so sad. Destiny is still out there. Sci-fi nerds unite.

The Destiny has real class.

Egle01
May 11th, 2011, 03:47 AM
i just loved the reversed Air "power up" sequenceWhen I saw that, it hit me why JM suggested to re-watch "Air" or at least first 5 minutes.

garhkal
May 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM
I never heard that..... but. i loved that he did.