PDA

View Full Version : Why couldn't they beam Camille to Brussels?

Major_Griff
May 10th, 2011, 06:43 AM
This is a minor quibble, this was a great episode and a great finale, and the scene between Scott and Camille was great, but it really bothered me that there she said there wasn't time to get her to Brussels. Why couldn't they have beamed her there?

MattSilver 3k
May 10th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I thought the same, but maybe we didn't have any ships nearby, and maybe we don't have beaming on anything but ships yet, or maybe it would take too long or maybe the writer didn't think of it. Not a big niggle really.

dvdrts
May 10th, 2011, 07:20 AM
or maybe the acress that played Sharon wasn't available.

morbosfist
May 10th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Sharon was in the middle of some sort of conference. Beaming Wray into a crowded building would be a little less than subtle.

Dr Lee
May 10th, 2011, 08:10 AM
do the Stones work while beaming or would they have switched back, thus putting the person they were using far away from the stones?

wabbit42
May 10th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Or beam Sharon for a few minutes to see Camille. I thought the same.

Pharaoh Atem
May 10th, 2011, 08:35 AM
The whole point was to break them up. Im happy ith how it was done

Quetzocoetl
May 10th, 2011, 08:56 AM
do the Stones work while beaming or would they have switched back, thus putting the person they were using far away from the stones?

I figured there would be some concern with the stones, because for a very brief moment, the body being beamed is essentially...dead. They are just data stored in a buffer until beamed to their location.

Major_Griff
May 10th, 2011, 09:03 AM
or maybe the acress that played Sharon wasn't available.

They could have still done the scene of Camille and Scott talking about it, but she could have said that they spoke in person.

Perelandra
May 10th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I wondered about that, too.

Notleo
May 10th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Because it wouldn't have the same dramatic effect when Camille was talking to Scott

garhkal
May 10th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Sharon was in the middle of some sort of conference. Beaming Wray into a crowded building would be a little less than subtle.

Agreed. I can't see them doing that.. BUT there was nothing wrong with beaming Sharon TO Camile... Assuming she wanted to see her.

morbosfist
May 10th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Then you'd be beaming Sharon out of some important conference. Same problem. Someone would come looking, more than likely.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 10th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I think the simple answer is that Camille didn't want to go with the breakup face to face. She could do what she needed to do and what she felt was the right thing to do over the phone without extending the pain. It makes sense that she didn't try to get to brussels just to say, "Well see ya, by."

icsteffi
May 11th, 2011, 12:30 AM
It was a beautiful line... "You know, you go back billions of light years, across an entire universe, and you are just separate by a couple of thousand miles."

I'm sure they could have done some beaming stuff, but there was really very little time. They made it seem like everyone on the ship would have a chance for goodbyes. Thats 80+ people in the ...what few hours... that they had before having to start getting in stasis and preparing and stuff.

morrismike
May 11th, 2011, 03:56 AM
You guys know that redeploying a capital ship in the navy to transport a single person is a really big deal unless you're the president. Giving Camille one last booty call is not important enough when other alternative like laptops with video cameras are available.

Randy_Watson
May 11th, 2011, 04:45 AM
I figured there would be some concern with the stones, because for a very brief moment, the body being beamed is essentially...dead. They are just data stored in a buffer until beamed to their location.

They could have beamed Sharon though, or beamed someone with the stones to Brussels before the connection.

But yeah, I like they way the episode handled it as is and agree with morrismike for why it wouldn't be sensible.

Ingsoc
May 11th, 2011, 04:51 AM
I assume that using military resources for personal pleasure is very much against the regulations.

morrismike
May 11th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I assume that using military resources for personal pleasure is very much against the regulations.

perhaps not on space 90210

morbosfist
May 11th, 2011, 03:36 PM
I assume that using military resources for personal pleasure is very much against the regulations.Sam wouldn't even let Jack use the time machine to go watch a famous baseball game. Bunch of fascists.

More seriously, they technically are using military equipment for recreation. That's what the stones are basically for. They haven't been against beaming as a shortcut. They probably just didn't do it because of the logistics involved with beaming a civilian out of a crowded building.

garhkal
May 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Then you'd be beaming Sharon out of some important conference. Same problem. Someone would come looking, more than likely.

Since brussles is what, 7 hrs ahead of us. And most of the others were there mid afternoon from what it looked like, that would have put it deep evening in Brussles. Easily believable she would have been out of it and in her room.