PDA

View Full Version : Some that Telford said made no sense to me...

Nathan Reynolds
May 10th, 2011, 05:22 AM
When speaking with Young about Destiny's lifeline and the fact that Langara didnt want to help. He said that Wosley was still pushing for a diplomatic solution??!!!

Why would Wosley still be involve in those negotions? What about Atlantis? In the movie that never was would Wosley loose command of Atlantis?
That felt a little off to me.

jelgate
May 10th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Others can easily lead Atlantis

Joben
May 10th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Woolsey was acting as an ambassador a few episodes back; it was pretty clear that he wasn't leading Atlantis then. Storyline-wise for Atlantis though, it made sense to have the IOA lead Atlantis while they were in Pegasus since they were running the SG program, but once Atlantis was on home soil I'm pretty sure the military would have their hands all over it.

Nathan Reynolds
May 10th, 2011, 05:40 AM
In the timeframe within the series would be Atlantis back in pegasus already?

Keeper
May 10th, 2011, 05:56 AM
we don't know what atlantis did after the end of season 5.

did it go back? maybe. could it? it barely made it to earth. we'd need some pretty impressive juice to get it back to pegasus.

commands change regularly - first carter, then woolsey,in 2 years. woolsey almost got removed, but was helped by an alien entity.

even if the movie had been made, anyone could have been in charge. a line could have been slipped in anywhere to say woolsey left, without the need to explain how or why.

in other words - anything after the end of season 5 is unknown. perhaps it was dismantled, perhaps the goa'uld hijacked it, perhaps it spontaneously combusted.

knowles2
May 10th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Atlantis is safely somewhere in the pacific ocean on Earth. It does not need it commander to be there everyday.

An I would not be surprise if IOA appointed someone more trust worthy to run the joint and keep it on Earth.

Pharaoh Atem
May 10th, 2011, 08:36 AM
In the timeframe within the series would be Atlantis back in pegasus already?

Atlantis is on earth till said otherwise on tv.

Major_Griff
May 10th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Atlantis is on earth till said otherwise on tv.

It's a shame that we'll never find out for sure. I can't think of any non-storytelling reasons to send Atlantis back to Pegasus, so I would think it's either on Earth or another close by planet in the Milky Way.

Spidey3121
May 10th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I myself always figured Atlantis would make it back to the Pegasus. I mean there are just too many unclosed threads. Of course, i thought the whole concept of bringing it to Earth was kind of... let's just say the Atlantis finale was far from my favorite episode :-p

caribsci
May 10th, 2011, 01:39 PM
... let's just say the Atlantis finale was far from my favorite episode :-p

and may i ask wat was wrong with Atlantis' finale?Was pretty stargatey to me.

KEK
May 10th, 2011, 01:43 PM
and may i ask wat was wrong with Atlantis' finale?.

Wormhole drive.

Keeper
May 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Wormhole drive.

agreed.

fine, bring it in, i don't care - but that whole final episode felt like a 2-hr movie in 42 mins. or something like that anyway.

too much of a feeling of - great concepts, no time to expand, lets shove em in anyway.

Spidey3121
May 10th, 2011, 02:11 PM
and may i ask wat was wrong with Atlantis' finale?Was pretty stargatey to me.

Pretty much that - like Keeper said - it felt like a 2 or even 3 part episode crammed all into one 1 episode. Everything just happened far too fast. It felt beyond rushed. My opinion of it has actually grown. When i first saw it i was infuriated but i've since come to accept it as an adequate conclusion to the series but i'll never view it as more than a mediocre episode of the series/franchise.

As for the wormhole drive the writers allegedly had planned on mentioning it prior to it's use but in the end that never happened. I didn't mind on it's own i guess, but it was 1 of several last minute plot "twists" thrown our way.

caribsci
May 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM
yeah i get you guys about the crammed feeling but the wormhole drive was fine.if not wormhole drive ,it would be ''just enough stasis pods to put crew to sleep for 3 years''........or finding a planet with with that miraculous element needed to fix pods.....or finding chair in antarctica just in time to save earth.......they are all ex deus machina in my book so if u got problems with the wormhole drive then..ummmmmmm u gots major problems

The Destiny
May 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM
The wormhole drive also felt particularly unnecessary. Atlantis was on the edges of the Milky way already ( awefully quik. It took them 1 day to cross the void? ) and then suddenly the hyperdrive gives up and they throw in the wormhole drive for the last hop. Had they used it in Pegasus as a means of getting to Earth quikly because they didn't have the time to go via hyperdrive, it might have been better.

Still, EatG din't feel like a great series finale. It felt like "just some episode" where they blow up a hive, again.

Concerning deus ex mechanica solutions; they had spent an entire season looking for the lost city in SG-1 season 7 and it was properly resolved in a 2 parter with a proper build-up.
The mineral was a bit 'mmh, that's kina convenient', but the type of planet needed wasn't awefully specific. It just had to have meteoric activity. My only major gripe was that there appeared to be exactly enough stasis pods for everyone. Not 1 too many, not 1 too few. Yet it is possible there are more but those are not operational either in a similar fashion to the one that broke at the last moment. The wormhole drive really felt tossed in. "O noes, our hyperdrive failed! - No problem, we've got this magic solution that accomplishes exactly the same as our hyperdrive except for a 50/50 death possibility"

caribsci
May 10th, 2011, 03:21 PM
yeah having exactly enuff didn't fit right.so if this had happened a few redshirts ago then what?

caribsci
May 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
and if they had an antire season to find the lost city........they had 5 seasons to go through atlantis' data base and find the wormhole drive.they may not have mentioned it on screen because they didn't really need to use it.but it could be possible that zelenka found it but couldn't fix it...................well if a 304 with 1 zpm takes 3 days then atlantis with 3 shud have taken .....ummmmm wat...coupl hours?

Nathan Reynolds
May 10th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Atlantis cant be on Earth. (IMO) It was stated that a Pegasus Gate would always superseed a Milky Way Gate, so Atlantis been on Earth it would became Stargate Command.
And in SGU that clearly didnt happen so stand to reason that Atlantis has left Earth.

hmm... unless they "unplugged" Atlantis Stargate :)

KEK
May 10th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Atlantis cant be on Earth. (IMO) It was stated that a Pegasus Gate would always superseed a Milky Way Gate, so Atlantis been on Earth it would became Stargate Command.
And in SGU that clearly didnt happen so stand to reason that Atlantis has left Earth.

hmm... unless they "unplugged" Atlantis Stargate :)

Do we know that for sure? We've never actually seen the SGC in SGU.

The Destiny
May 10th, 2011, 03:57 PM
and if they had an antire season to find the lost city........they had 5 seasons to go through atlantis' data base and find the wormhole drive.they may not have mentioned it on screen because they didn't really need to use it.but it could be possible that zelenka found it but couldn't fix it...................well if a 304 with 1 zpm takes 3 days then atlantis with 3 shud have taken .....ummmmm wat...coupl hours?

Fair enough on the void-travel ( 4 days by daedalus in the siege ).
Zelenka said it was something "Mckay had been working on", implying it's Mckay's idea. Regardless of wether it is or isn't, it was inserted into the episode in a fairly pointless manner and serving the story in no particular way because the hyperdrive could've done exactly the same thing. It was added in as a way of creating some more tension by giving Atlantis 50/50 odds, but we all know nothing bad would happen whatsoever even if they gave it a 10% chance.

caribsci
May 10th, 2011, 04:06 PM
while we talking bout the wormhole drive.Does anyone happen to kno how long it took the ancients to get atlantis from earth to pegasus several million years ago?

The Destiny
May 10th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I guess a day, mabye two, because it took the Atlantis expedition a day to get back from Pegasus to the milky way.. with 10.000 yeasr old engines.

KEK
May 10th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Probably the same time it would have taken Atlantis to get back to Earth in EatG without the wormhole drive. I can't remember the number, but it should be in there.

caribsci
May 10th, 2011, 08:27 PM
the reason i asked was because i was wondering if they had zpms when Atlantis left earth.I was of the opinion that they made them in PG

Keeper
May 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
the source of ZPMs has never been identified, aside from the replicator planet being able to make them. as their city is at least inspired by atlantis, it's possible that atlantis may have the capacity to make them too, and earth just hasn't located it yet.

however, regardless of the source, it would make sense that the ancients - as ancients, after all - would have access to their own power source somehow :p and so, going back to pegasus, would have either had enough anyway, or got enough shortly before moving.

senilegreen
May 11th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Does anyone happen to kno how long it took the ancients to get atlantis from earth to pegasus several million years ago?

Um, maybe I missed it in some SGA episode, but why do you think Atlantis was sent away a couple of million years ago? I've been under the impression, given the Atlanteans that were encountered during the run of SGA, that Atlantis was a late model "Ancient" device.

morbosfist
May 11th, 2011, 07:30 AM
There's a caption right at the start of Atlantis that says the city launched several million years ago.

MathiasE
May 11th, 2011, 01:16 PM
the reason i asked was because i was wondering if they had zpms when Atlantis left earth.I was of the opinion that they made them in PG

Pretty sure they had ZPMs when Atlantis left Earth since they were the power source for the Antarctic outpost as well as Proclarush Taeonas.

MathiasE
May 11th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Um, maybe I missed it in some SGA episode, but why do you think Atlantis was sent away a couple of million years ago? I've been under the impression, given the Atlanteans that were encountered during the run of SGA, that Atlantis was a late model "Ancient" device.

Screencap from the first few seconds of Rising (S01E01)
http://oi55.tinypic.com/mj75mp.jpg

Atlantis was built during the height of the Ancient civilization while living in the Milky Way.
It is also said during Rising by Weir that the ancients left Earth 5-10 million years ago.

Edit: and also on topic, I seriously doubt Atlantis has left Earth since that requires some enormous power to fly away and as far as we know they don't have any ZPMs laying around since they pretty much depleted the ones they had when going back to Earth.

Edit2: Now that I started up Rising to make the screenshot I feel I just HAVE to watch it :D That episode gives me goosebumps

Blistna
May 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I myself always figured Atlantis would make it back to the Pegasus. I mean there are just too many unclosed threads. Of course, i thought the whole concept of bringing it to Earth was kind of... let's just say the Atlantis finale was far from my favorite episode :-p

It was a good ending. Full circle, really.