PDA

View Full Version : Oddly appropriate as a series finale and yet…

Major_Griff
May 9th, 2011, 07:58 PM
The lights on Destiny shutting down was a very nice parallel to the beginning of Air and we can all make up our own versions of what happens (Eli fixes the Pod and they all wake up in 3 years, eli fixed the pod, but the calculations are off and they never wake up or wake in 1,000 years, or Eli doesn't fix the pod and falls on his sword) so I don't feel like it was a total cliff hanger.

But my God, this show is so good. This episode was incredible. It's a crime that we're not going to get to see the rest of this series.

Stargater276
May 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM
RIP SGU and RIP Stargate :(

I rewatched the end with the repeat showing and I totally agree. While I know it wasn't intended to be a series ending it fit the role quite nicely.

Stargater276
May 9th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Ahh, double post from a misclick. :(

Pharaoh Atem
May 9th, 2011, 09:03 PM
RIP SGU and RIP Stargate :(.

stargate;'s not dead

tlblitzer
May 9th, 2011, 09:10 PM
You know, it would sure be nice to know what the entire arc of the story was supposed to be from the perspective of the writers and creaters of the story. Certainly they had plans for Season 3 and beyond. For the sake of fans, spill the beans. I never missed an episode. I will miss Stargate Universe. It will be fun to see which characters will move on with suffessful careers in show business. I remember when my other favorite show Earth 2 was cancelled back in 1995. Actors such as Clancy Brown, Jessica Steen, and Rebecca Gayheart.

tlblitzer
May 9th, 2011, 09:12 PM
So sad. It will be interesting to see what happens to the actors and their careers. This reminds me when Earth 2 was cancelled in 1995. So sad. Some actors had semi-successful careers after that including Rebecca Gayheart , Clancy Brown and Jessica Steen.

escyos
May 9th, 2011, 09:52 PM
Actually Eli fixes the pod, gets into it but Destiny drops out at the edge of teh galaxy and they wake up in 13 million years.

sholva1
May 10th, 2011, 03:45 AM
indeed

Starsaber
May 10th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Or Eli can't fix the pod and uploads himself into the computer with the chair.

Nathan Reynolds
May 10th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Or Eli can't fix the pod and uploads himself into the computer with the chair.

That isnt a bad ideia(if all else fails)
But wouldnt that use up alot of power?

Joben
May 10th, 2011, 04:47 AM
It's not really 'oddly appropriate'; the writers knew from the final ratings of season 1, let alone 2.5 that there was a decent chance that the show would not be renewed for a third season and created an appropriate ending. This happened at least two times with SG1, unfortunately for SGU it wasn't as lucky with being renewed.

Nth Chevron
May 10th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Might be another re-occurance of the Faithliens intervention

N.C

rlr149
May 10th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Actually Eli fixes the pod, gets into it but Destiny drops out at the edge of teh galaxy and they wake up in 13 million years.
Eli stumbles on rush's equation wall 1 week and 6 days later, makes a y into an x, solves it, wakes everyone up, inputs "super secret command code 1" as provided by solved equation............. destiny transforms into "battleship" mode, pwns drones with ease, greer is very pleased.

GoodSmeagol
May 10th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Eli stumbles on rush's equation wall 1 week and 6 days later, makes a y into an x, solves it, wakes everyone up, inputs "super secret command code 1" as provided by solved equation............. destiny transforms into "battleship" mode, pwns drones with ease, greer is very pleased.

I approve!
We will call it... DESTINY BATTLESTAR

Makenshi
May 10th, 2011, 08:56 AM
I almost cried, god****it... almost perfect, what a great ending (very sad, but great).

I approve!
We will call it... DESTINY BATTLESTAR

Hell with battlestar stuff, BSG was a curse to sci-fi - if never happened, SGU could've had a different beginning (no dark drama bs) and still live.

I say we call it Super Dimensional Fortress MacDestiny :D

GoodSmeagol
May 10th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I almost cried, god****it... almost perfect, what a great ending (very sad, but great).

Hell with battlestar stuff, BSG was a curse to sci-fi - if never happened, SGU could've had a different beginning (no dark drama bs) and still live.

I say we call it Super Dimensional Fortress MacDestiny :D

I LOVE SGU, AND DID NOT WATCH BSG.
So only a tongue in cheek joke was intended.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
May 11th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I thought the exact same brilliant just brilliant.

kellx
May 11th, 2011, 01:17 PM
It was as well done as good have been given the circumstances. It left so many things open but at the same time gave a feeling of closure. Not total closure but better then ending like season 1 did as the series finale

Generic Blue
May 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
in fact one of the shots of destiny's lights turning off, is just a shot from the pilot of destiny's lights turning on run backwards.

Blistna
May 11th, 2011, 04:15 PM
It was as good as an ending that we could have gotten. I still want more. It's a shame good tv can never survive.

Gallienus
May 12th, 2011, 03:45 AM
This episode just reminded me of all the untapped potential this series had. I thought it was quite good, but as is often the case in shows that struggle with ratings, too little and too late to make a difference. I guess It would irk me so much if it weren't for the fact that the entire Franchise has gone under, and anything we might see in the future will almost by definition be of the reboot/remake variety. It really is as much of an "end" as one can have, and we'll just be left to guess as to the final outcome. Bittersweet indeed.

JoseP927
May 12th, 2011, 04:11 PM
In which case they wouldn't wake up at all. Dr. Weir was in stasis for 10,000 years and look how old she was when she came out.

garhkal
May 12th, 2011, 07:17 PM
In another thread i thin you age at .5 the rate.. So 200 yrs in is aging you 1. though maybe its closer to 150 : 1.

qingdom
May 12th, 2011, 08:04 PM
In another thread i thin you age at .5 the rate.. So 200 yrs in is aging you 1. though maybe its closer to 150 : 1.

I'm not sure about this calculation.... that formula may be right for Pegasus stasis pods, but Destiny predates Pegasus tech.

I'm thinking the stasis pods on Destiny will be even subpar to that from SG-1 where they found the 2nd gate under the ice in the antarctic. I'm gonna have to dig up the episode to see how old that ancient woman was unless someone already has the info handy.

garhkal
May 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
And who knows.. like the rest of Destiny they may be working at even less of that capacity than normal..

blueray
May 14th, 2011, 08:37 AM
of all endings we could get i think it was a good series finale, with the symbolism of the lights going out at the end. the only real cliffhanger is does eli fix the pod and does there plan work.

as i've said on other threads my theory is he activates gin and together they fix the pod, just in time, and he goes in. then they all wake up 3 years later.

or he finals another way completely, maybe somehow involving like people from novus, or something that would be more exciting.

dacooker
May 14th, 2011, 04:35 PM
My impression was Eli had already fixed the pod in the last scene, he was simply savoring the moment of his greatness. I'm going to rewatch Air now, to see if it was the same sequence as the ending, was the bridge actually shown?

Shylodog
May 15th, 2011, 11:56 AM
My impression was Eli had already fixed the pod in the last scene, he was simply savoring the moment of his greatness. I'm going to rewatch Air now, to see if it was the same sequence as the ending, was the bridge actually shown?

No, the bridge was not shown in Air.

Egle01
May 16th, 2011, 03:20 AM
The bridge set was built for season 2, and it's only logical that it wasn't shown in "Air".

kache
May 16th, 2011, 05:14 AM

Or a couple hundred years later Tau'ri ships enter their hyperspace course, board the ship, stop the travel and get them in a new home (the new Earth). :D

Shylodog
May 16th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Or a couple hundred years later Tau'ri ships enter their hyperspace course, board the ship, stop the travel and get them in a new home (the new Earth). :D

And they'll call it E2. While trying to settle the planet, they find that Earth had previously sent their worst convicts, as well as an indigenous race of bipedal aliens who use subteranean methods of travel. Once there, they also find that the gate is broken and has no power, however they find a rare vine that coupled with a liquid with unique properties....

Oh wait. Been done before. To death. :D

jdog
May 23rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
they find the 12 colonies?

offworlder716
May 23rd, 2011, 01:53 PM
The series finale was a heartbreakingly bittersweet one, the finest I've ever seen out of any genre. It remains true to the nature of the show while allowing the adventure to continue even if only in our minds. I prefer to think of it as a hiatus rather than a finale, though. Since Stargate has always taken place present day, the show-runners have brilliantly provided MGM and Syfy (or someone else) a three year window that the show could possibly be renewed within. Do we have a petition going anywhere?

garhkal
May 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
they find the 12 colonies?

And the final five!

Brian
May 23rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
You know, it would sure be nice to know what the entire arc of the story was supposed to be from the perspective of the writers and creaters of the story. Certainly they had plans for Season 3 and beyond. For the sake of fans, spill the beans.

PLEASE don't spill the beans! Hear me out...

The time frame of this episode may, and this is a HUGELY optimistic outlook on things, be a positive thing for the show. Just think, if we, the Stargate fans stay strong and keep growing, who's to say 3 years isn't long enough to resurrect the series with either more show or a movie? Serenity happened in 2 years.

I honestly think with the way the show was left, it could be done. We would come back in 3 years and see what happens, following the time line of the show. Now weather or not the entire cast could come back after so long is another story, but let's not dwell on the negative aspects....I for one was ...almost...in tears at the end of the finale and need to cling onto every piece of optimism I can right now, as I'm sure many other fans also feel.

To me, the end could not be more fitting. I think the last 5 minutes were the most, in a word: beautiful, of the entire series for so many reasons. Not only the subject matter of the show, but how it was written in a "just in case" sort of way, as well as us knowing that it's done for now.

It's very difficult for me to describe how I'm feeling right now...should mention that I just finished the finale a few minutes ago. Some people, including my former self, will come out and say "dude it's a TV show get over it" but for some reason I can't. It's not just a TV show to me, it's quite a bit more for a lot of reasons...and I've only been into Stargate for a year and a half. I never, never! get into TV shows like this, like the entire Stargate franchise, and it's heartbreaking to see the show go, it really is. Myself, honestly, I can't think of anything better than Universe in the franchise. When/if Stargate comes back, I feel it will be a disappointment because everything about this show is just so perfect. I love this group of people and don't want to see a different cast on another show set anywhere besides Destiny. I need to stop talking about this, getting depressed! gah!

I like what kellx said earlier in this thread:

It left so many things open but at the same time gave a feeling of closure.
That sums it up nicely. I felt torn both ways all the way through. Heart started beating faster when I knew it was getting towards the end because...I didn't want it to end.

That was the most "insert every adjective depicting glee and sadness here" conclusion I have ever seen and just have nothing else to say but how upset I am now that it's over for good.

Do you guys feel my pain or am I just being odd?
I'm actually to the point where I need to do something to take my mind off of it because I'm a little too upset right now to want to keep thinking about the show.

Mardus
May 24th, 2011, 02:53 PM
{I didn't include much of the rest of the quote, but it can be read above...}

That was the most "insert every adjective depicting glee and sadness here" conclusion I have ever seen and just have nothing else to say but how upset I am now that it's over for good.

Do you guys feel my pain or am I just being odd?
I'm actually to the point where I need to do something to take my mind off of it because I'm a little too upset right now to want to keep thinking about the show.

No, Brian, you're not odd. Your one comment is just enough to tell that I'm with you, man, through and through. I just finished watching the last of it myself and feel just about the same. The right adjective is bittersweet and there are no synonyms for it in the Wiktionary.

I think I'm going to write a review/analysis of some sort.