PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Moments/Quotes/Bittersweet Goodbyes from 'Gauntlet'

MattSilver 3k
May 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I haven't actually seen the episode yet. Working on it, and will edit the post later, but...

I wanted to be the one to make the thread first, for nostalgia's sake. So...

Y'all know what to do. Go for it. It's been a hell of a ride, no doubt. :D

EDIT: Okay, I've watched it, and everybody else has done a good job reciting favourite stuff, so no need to fill this post up. Instead, I'll note the "Bittersweet Goodbyes" part, and ask, What was your favourite goodbye between characters? Was it Rush and Eli? Scott and Chloe? Greer and Park? Go nuts! My favourites were either Volker and Park's - Volker looking at her from across the way - or TJ and Young's, mostly with Young looking at her in the stasis pod.

Pharaoh Atem
May 9th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I speak for many when i say the last ten or so mins,

Eli alone on destiny alone.

Cheshil
May 9th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I quite enjoyed the symmetry between Air I and Gauntlet, with the shutting down (versus turning on) of systems and so on. And the last shot. Man, I can't believe it's over.

Cold Fuzz
May 9th, 2011, 07:16 PM

The last shots of him staring out of the observation deck and then the Destiny disappearing in the distance was beautiful.

morbosfist
May 9th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Shuttle ramming the command ship.

Pharaoh Atem
May 9th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Shuttle ramming the command ship.

that was so damn satisfying

Starsaber
May 9th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Rush - "You've come a long way from that video game slacker I knew a year ago."
Eli - "Thanks. You've been pretty consistent."
One of the few smiles I cracked during the whole episode.

Cold Fuzz
May 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM
My favorite action moments:

Destiny's main weapon taking down a command ship
The shuttle ramming another command ship
Everybody scrambling to get the palladium hydride by stargate

My favorite dramatic moments:

Eli volunteering and being alone in the final minutes of the episode
The toast. It really showed how they've all come together.
Everyone saying their goodbyes

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
May 9th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Young saying that they're a family and Rush is the Crazy Uncle that comes through for them in the end.

Dilithium
May 9th, 2011, 07:41 PM
The sort of “closure” by having everyone go into stasis, the shots of the lights going off and equipment powering down, and lastly Eli looking out at the stars. I expected them to end with cuts of Eli working out a solution and then finally stepping into a repaired stasis chamber.

Starsaber
May 9th, 2011, 07:53 PM
The sort of “closure” by having everyone go into stasis, the shots of the lights going off and equipment powering down, and lastly Eli looking out at the stars. I expected them to end with cuts of Eli working out a solution and then finally stepping into a repaired stasis chamber.

If we got Season 3, I bet he would have either done that or uploaded into the chair and become their interface with Destiny.

jsunski
May 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM
The last shots of him staring out of the observation deck and then the Destiny disappearing in the distance was beautiful.

Anyone else notice they included this shot in the finale in the ad for the DVD ...

I caught it in the first airing and watching it again confirms it ...

Where was the SPOILER TAG ha

Playtime20
May 9th, 2011, 08:00 PM
My favorite moments
Was when Destiny destroyed the Command ship with there big gun
Youngs speech

carmencatalina
May 9th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I loved Lisa seeing the rain on Earth in her borrowed body.

Kona
May 9th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I think one of my favorite moments was tonight when the Shuttle rammed right into the Command Ship and blew it to smithereens! That was BRILLIANT! BRILLIANT! *Give 'em a taste of their own medicine* indeed!

m626
May 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Eli mentioning to Young about the research he and Brody did on the stasis chambers and Rush rolloing his eyes.

MattSilver 3k
May 9th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Young's "family" speech, complete with Rush's reaction to being called the crazy Uncle.

My Gods... It's the end. :(

Pharaoh Atem
May 9th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Young's "family" speech, complete with Rush's reaction to being called the crazy Uncle.

My Gods... It's the end. :(

i missed that whole speech. i'll power up the DVR ater

Replicator Todd
May 9th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Seeing the Gate Room's lights go out. :):(

SGJ
May 9th, 2011, 08:50 PM
The lights go out on Destiny, SGU, and the Stargate fanchise as a whole. :(

imperio
May 9th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Stargate Universe has gone out with....a whimper....and The Stargate Series has gone out with...a Bang.....its the end of an era, for 17 years Stargate has graced Television, for 7 years its graced my computer and Tv. and now its gone and now im sad :(

ohh best part was the last 10 minutes

Traveler Enroute1
May 9th, 2011, 09:25 PM
This will probably be my favorite Stargate Universe episode, so picking fave pieces is kind of hard. But I'll go for it anyway.

Eli's mother giving her son the green light to pursue his own life guilt free, without her.

Young's words to Eli of encouragement and hope.

The Family speech and the crew's 'last supper' before stasis.

Battle scenes - especially the tension when flying the shuttle remotely and hoping the ruse worked- yipes!

Showing the Stargate (sob!) powering off, and the ship going dark.

Man, it's really the end. Is this Stargate's destiny, too? :S

The Destiny
May 10th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Young: "well, that goes without saying.. I'm notoriously hard to please.."

I loved how this supposed cliffhanger was the perfect ending for the show, despite cancellation. It felt like a natural ending, from where they might continue one day. Perfect. Bloody perfect.

Cold Fuzz
May 10th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Just completed another re-watch, and found a few more good moments:

Young thanking Lisa Park for her good idea and holding her hand to let her know. Immediately afterward, Greer held her hand too.
Eli wanting to shake Young's hand. Instead, Young hugs him.
Upon seeing the Destiny literally scrape one of the command ships, I saw a few little sparks as the two ships made contact. Good FX detail work there.
Telford and Young shaking hands. Good moment, especially given their differences in season 1.
Seeing the stargate for the last time. A powerful and sad moment. :(

Dr Lee
May 10th, 2011, 04:45 AM
the final few scenes.... seeing the lights being turned off on the ship... Definite lump in the throat moment...

Lahela
May 10th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Lisa watching the rain
"Mr Wallace"
Eli's smile at the end
The ship going dark
"Sweet dreams"
Young/Telford handshake
Young/Eli hug
Rush's smile at Eli's "You've been pretty consistent"

And so many more...

doomsday-guy
May 10th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Rush's little "Ah ********" as he tries to come up with another idea.

JustAnotherVoice
May 10th, 2011, 05:33 AM
The unfortunate implications of having Matt and Chloe kiss as the shot after Young calls them (with close ups) sons and daughters. Crowning moment of awkwardly awesome.

Carter1994
May 10th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Blowing up the seed ship (oooooh yes)
Young's speech (complete with crazy old uncle)
Rush calling Eli "Mr. Wallace" (augh! Stop making me want to cry!)
Park seeing the rain (dang, that was good)
The lights going off (not gonna cry, not gonna cry...)
Destiny disappearing into the distance... :(

(yep, there goes the tear)

P5C768
May 10th, 2011, 06:09 AM
Volker's Rock, Paper Scissors analogy. I'll miss the Volker-Brody banter...

The Destiny
May 10th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Rush radios Young to the controlinterface room
Eli: "we did it."
Young: "Fantastic!"
Wray: "What they do?"
Young: "I have no idea."

carmencatalina
May 10th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Someone on one of the livejournal SGU groups mentioned the additional symmetry with "Air" - in "Air", we see a dinner at the Icarus base, which is mirrored in the "last supper" for "Gauntlet".

To which I want to add, in "Air", Rush isn't part of the group eating, he is standing in the kitchen, outside, looking in.

But in "Gauntlet", he is finally a part of the group.

Which is nice. And warms my old bitter heart.

wabbit42
May 10th, 2011, 10:43 AM
The mirroring of Air through the lights going off - epic win.

MattSilver 3k
May 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Eli: "Well... you're probably not going to like it."
Young: "It's true, I am notoriously hard to please."

garhkal
May 10th, 2011, 08:09 PM

That is the high point, along with the meal "The crazy uncle who always comes through in the end"..

that was so damn satisfying

Poetic justice.

Rush - "You've come a long way from that video game slacker I knew a year ago."
Eli - "Thanks. You've been pretty consistent."
One of the few smiles I cracked during the whole episode.

For once i hated rush.. I honestly felt he was going to flat out and tell eli you are smarter than me or something like that.

I have said it many times in other threads.. but it is worthy of repeatiing again... that montage of the lights going off, and finally destiny going into FTL was a Beautiful mirror of the Intro into Air, where we see the ship come OUT of FTL, and start powering up.

I loved Lisa seeing the rain on Earth in her borrowed body.

I almost cried at the simplicity of it... though i did wonder what happened to the person she switched with.. how they coped with being blind.

Eli mentioning to Young about the research he and Brody did on the stasis chambers and Rush rolloing his eyes.

It looked more like he snickered...

This will probably be my favorite Stargate Universe episode, so picking fave pieces is kind of hard. But I'll go for it anyway.

Eli's mother giving her son the green light to pursue his own life guilt free, without her.

I was proud of his mother, letting go that easy.. especially since how much she seemed to desire his return and melencholy she seemed when he was not coming home.. How much she has improved since her visit.

Man, it's really the end. Is this Stargate's destiny, too? :S

I deeply hope not.

the final few scenes.... seeing the lights being turned off on the ship... Definite lump in the throat moment...

I almost welled up... but it was not as bad as heroes, meridian or some of the others in SG1/SGAs early seasons..

Young/Eli hug

That actually surprised the heck out of me..

Volker's Rock, Paper Scissors analogy. I'll miss the Volker-Brody banter...

Almost like watching Zalenka and mccay at times.

ArchaeoNerd
May 10th, 2011, 10:53 PM
The music at the end was so perfect...

I liked how the camera focused on certain people during Young's speech:
"...smartest, (Eli)
...bravest, (Greer)
...most compassionate (TJ)..."

ArchaeoNerd

Egle01
May 11th, 2011, 03:50 AM
Lisa watching the rain
"Mr Wallace"
Eli's smile at the end
The ship going dark
"Sweet dreams"
Young/Telford handshake
Young/Eli hug
Rush's smile at Eli's "You've been pretty consistent"

And so many more...These.

Someone on one of the livejournal SGU groups mentioned the additional symmetry with "Air" - in "Air", we see a dinner at the Icarus base, which is mirrored in the "last supper" for "Gauntlet".

To which I want to add, in "Air", Rush isn't part of the group eating, he is standing in the kitchen, outside, looking in.

But in "Gauntlet", he is finally a part of the group.Good catch about the dinner.

qingdom
May 11th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Young finally gets his well deserved sleep in stasis for being awake for so long and remaining sane.

KEK
May 11th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Park being stoned to Earth so she can see again.

blueray
May 11th, 2011, 09:22 AM
definetly the end with eli on the deck looking out of destiny. it symbolizes not only the end of the show but probably the fransise as well :(.

all the goodbyes (kind of weird that chloe didn't say good bye to her mother though).

the part where they were eating the rest of the food. mainly because it mirrored air. and that crazy uncle rush joined them :).

Dr Lee
May 11th, 2011, 09:33 AM
definetly the end with eli on the deck looking out of destiny.

all the goodbyes (kind of weird that chloe didn't say good bye to her mother though).

the part where they were eating the rest of the food.

weren't they the ones hugging?

blueray
May 11th, 2011, 09:36 AM
weren't they the ones hugging?

were they, i must have missed that part.

Horizonshard
May 11th, 2011, 09:38 AM
My favorite parts were:
"What are we going to do for food for the rest of the trip" - Young
"Nothing. That's the genius part!" - Eli

And Volker watching Greer help Park into her stasis pod. That shot was brilliantly done.

And of course Eli's smile at the end.

Dr Lee
May 11th, 2011, 09:41 AM
were they, i must have missed that part.

i just saw two dark haired women hugging during the 'see you later' montage

Perelandra
May 11th, 2011, 09:59 AM
i just saw two dark haired women hugging during the 'see you later' montage

I thought I saw Chloe hugging her mother, too.

morbosfist
May 11th, 2011, 10:47 AM
The first scene, I'm pretty sure, is Chloe hugging her mother. The faces are a little blurry, but frankly Chloe's mom is the only one to keep the bottle on hand.

The Destiny
May 11th, 2011, 10:53 AM
The faces are a little blurry, but frankly Chloe's mom is the only one to keep the bottle on hand.

Win.

That's just Win right there..

doomsday-guy
May 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM

And people say SGU had no humour?! I detect the hand of Mr. Brody here

KEK
May 11th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Surprised they got away with that :O

doomsday-guy
May 11th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I didn't even notice until viewing the production pics over on the MGM site. Gonna quickly re-watch that scene to see if its there or not

Starsaber
May 11th, 2011, 01:32 PM

I thought they showed her hugging her mom. Might have had her mixed up with someone else, but I thought we saw that.

EDIT: Never mind. Didn't notice there was another page and it looks like someone else pointed it out.

Dr Lee
May 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM

and people say sgu had no humour?! I detect the hand of mr. Brody here

*dies laughing*

Egle01
May 11th, 2011, 01:36 PM

And people say SGU had no humour?! I detect the hand of Mr. Brody here:eek:

morbosfist
May 11th, 2011, 02:01 PM

And people say SGU had no humour?! I detect the hand of Mr. Brody hereIt looks like someone caught the message beforehand and rubbed out the U. Epic win, though.

MattSilver 3k
May 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Ha, that is an epic find.

And yes, stop arguing about Chloe and her mother. It was there, Anna Galvin's name was even in the opening credits. Blah blah move on.

garhkal
May 12th, 2011, 04:25 PM

I could have sworn i saw her on earth hugging mommy!

Shylodog
May 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I could have sworn i saw her on earth hugging mommy!

You did. It can be hard to make out though, so I can see how they missed it.

garhkal
May 13th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I am honestly surprised we didn't see Greer or TJ go home.. what. Don't either of them have anything back there to 'say good bye' to?

KEK
May 13th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Rush: "********"

Lloydje25
May 14th, 2011, 07:35 AM
As alot of have said - the lights going off/shots at the end

Young: "It's easy to dwell on everything that we have lost, but I think today I'd like to think about what we still have - and maybe, what we have gained" - So true in terms of the cancellation.

Rush saying goodbye to Eli, and referring to him as "Mr Wallace"

blueray
May 14th, 2011, 07:38 AM
first of all i admit i missed chloe saying goodbye to her mother so moving on

I am honestly surprised we didn't see Greer or TJ go home.. what. Don't either of them have anything back there to 'say good bye' to?

well greer doesn't really have anyone to say goodbye too and i have no idea about tj

AndSoItBegins
May 14th, 2011, 10:21 AM
first of all i admit i missed chloe saying goodbye to her mother so moving on

well greer doesn't really have anyone to say goodbye too and i have no idea about tj

Greer has his mom. He told Camille, at the end of "Alliances", that he never told her how much she meant to him during the last time they spoke. I think that qualifies as someone he has to say good bye to.

AndSoItBegins
May 14th, 2011, 10:25 AM
The music.

The farewell the crew gave to each other before they enter the pods. Most important how they broke down those departures into five segments.

1-Varro
2-James and Barnes
3-Brody, Park and Volker
4-Scott, Greer, Chloe and TJ
5-Rush and Young.....with Eli looking on.

Other things I liked about the episode:

-The frightening persistence of the drones. Putting blockades around every gate and star in the galaxy? Amazing. I don’t care if they don’t have a distinct personality or a figurehead that could speak with the crew of Destiny. They were a GREAT enemy who in the second half of season two really caused all sorts of problems and permanent change to the crew. And, yes, the drones do represent the fans who hated SGU to me.

-Camille’s story regarding her sorrowful breakup with Sharon.

-Young walking away as Park discovers that her blindness may be permanent.

-TJ’s bitter but brave speech to Chloe about accepting the hand that is dealt you.

-Greer’s private talk with Park about the growing list of obstacles. She was right to think that Greer could possibly volunteer to be one of the eight. I love Greer’s response about how they goy into the situation together and should get out of it together as well.

-Park sharing her plan with Young and others on the bridge and the lift that gives her spirit as she understands she can still be useful. The handholding with Greer was nice as well.

-And while I’m on the subject of Park that shot of her on Earth, thru stone use, in which she was allowed to see once more was heartbreaking. Kudos to Ms Spence for portraying the emotion perfectly. I would think TPTB would have preferred a more sunny day to shoot that scene but perhaps I’m wrong. Perhaps that would have been too much of a cliché. And for Park it probably doesn’t matter if it is rainy or if the skies were blue. She just wanted to see again.

-After making him look like a jerk most of this season they allowed us a moment to remember that Mortensen (sp? I think that is his name) is not some bad guy who doesn’t contribute to the ship.

-Young’s speech around the table. Short but sweet. Great work by the writers and or directors to have the camera focus on Eli, Greer and TV respectively when Young mentioned the words “the smartest”, “the bravest” and “the most compassionate”. Very nice touch.

-And perhaps it was just me but when everyone seemed to full to eat but Greer still had a strong appetite, I thought it was an inside joke regarding Jamil’s reputation for always eating heavy loads of catered food between shooting (something I learned by listening to the commentaries of the season 1 DVDs).

-Young and Telford’s final talk and handshake. Telford’s line about some of them having a few more gray hairs when they next would meet was an example of how real these characters come across to me.

garhkal
May 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I am wondering why they just waited till then to do that dinner.. why not have all hands on deck for it just before they implemented the deep freeze.

AndSoItBegins
May 15th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I am wondering why they just waited till then to do that dinner.. why not have all hands on deck for it just before they implemented the deep freeze.

In a more extensive writeup I pointed out that it may not make much sense from a story/character point of view. But it made sense based upon who the Big 8 were in the series in terms of their contract status (how much money they earn), their place in the overall credits, the ones whom promotions center around, the ones who have gotten the most storylines, etc. To us viewers the lines may have blurred between main players and supporting characters. But to those writing, producing and financing all the other actors (LDP excluded) fell beneath the main eight. And that's why a person like Chloe would be at the table when James, Volker, Brody and Park were already in tubes.

Cairistiona
May 15th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Lots of favourite moments and all have been mentioned before, but my highlights are:
- all the goodbyes
- the dinner
- and the end with the lights going dark and Destiny disappearing and this beautiful music...