PDA

View Full Version : Is OK for Destiny crew to date Novus people ?

ckwongau
May 6th, 2011, 11:02 PM
The sex ratio of Destiny crew wasn't balance in the first place.
And the Novus colonies are spread out over the Destiny's direction.

The million and millions of Novus decendent are directly decent from Destiny's 80 or so crew (except Dale Volker, and Dr Rush) .

After two thousand yr, virtually every crew member (except Dale Volker, and Dr Rush) are the direct blood ancestor of Novus people.

If the Novus people are fine after two thousand yr of inbreeding.Two thousand of random mutuation ,Geneticly it is probably save for Destiny crew and Novus people to date.

They are far from Earth , cultural taboo and judgments .

i saw star Trek episode of people travel back in time to marry people of the past, and even scfi character who claim to be their own father or grand father.

What is your opinion on the this subject? to date a gentic decendent

knowles2
May 6th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Perfectly fine. But it would have been a good story to write about in a third season presuming a few Novans stayed behind. As to the genetic problem, to me the fact they manage to cure ALS means that they were getting on top of the genetic problems, at least the Novans were. Not to sure about the Petersburg lot through.

One got to wonder when did the Novans people start seperating and why did the individual colonies did not keep in contact with each other. So many stories to tell, but its look Destiny is off to the Cancel Galaxy next.

escyos
May 7th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Eli: "That sex was great!"
Woman: "I'm your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddaughter"

morrismike
May 7th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Perfectly fine. But it would have been a good story to write about in a third season presuming a few Novans stayed behind. As to the genetic problem, to me the fact they manage to cure ALS means that they were getting on top of the genetic problems, at least the Novans were. Not to sure about the Petersburg lot through.

One got to wonder when did the Novans people start seperating and why did the individual colonies did not keep in contact with each other. So many stories to tell, but its look Destiny is off to the Cancel Galaxy next.
What genetic problem would there be?

thekillman
May 7th, 2011, 03:42 AM
negative mutations express better in inbred populations because there are less "healthy" genes to compensate.

that's why many genetic diseases would flourish that on earth barely exist

LtColCarter
May 7th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Eli: "That sex was great!"
Woman: "I'm your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great granddaughter"

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

Selkhet
May 7th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I think personally, I'd make sure they were not a direct descendant before I "fell in love." Otherwise, I would not see a problem that far down the tree, so to speak.

morrismike
May 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM
negative mutations express better in inbred populations because there are less "healthy" genes to compensate.

that's why many genetic diseases would flourish that on earth barely exist
The Destiny crew lacks a lot of the genetic refuse found in the population at large. I think the genetic issues are greatly overblown.

Major_Griff
May 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM
In theory, I'd say it's not a big deal since it's been 2000 years and there's millions of them so it's not like they'd be having sex with a close relative.

In practice, though I'd say eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww gross!

Ukko
May 7th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Arnt we descended from a small group that left Africa however long ago? You wouldnt feel dirty going back in time and dating some Girl from pre ice age Europe if you got stuck there and had to live out the rest of your life there.
I wouldnt see dating someone from Novus any different than dating the Girl that lives next door to me.

Kamosis
May 7th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Having almost 100 people to start a colony is not the ideal, but still they are above the 50, that is the limiar to survive.

And has been 2000 years! Really, tell me who was your ancestor from all this time ago? They would not know from who they are descendants.

magictrick
May 7th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Kate and Harry are 12th cousins, they seem to be fine.

Once you reach a certain point in the common descendant lineages, I don't think it really matters.

escyos
May 7th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Arnt we descended from a small group that left Africa however long ago? You wouldnt feel dirty going back in time and dating some Girl from pre ice age Europe if you got stuck there and had to live out the rest of your life there.
I wouldnt see dating someone from Novus any different than dating the Girl that lives next door to me.

More likely we are from several groups that left Africa and interbred with Neanderthals. Would I feel dirty going back in time and getting it on with a cavegirl? Probably.

As for Novus, the genetic interdispersal would be somewhat limited but enough that there wouldn't be any kind of negative ramifications.

ckwongau
May 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM

Once you reach a certain point in the common descendant lineages, I don't think it really matters.

They are not their cousins, they are their descentent.They are not only decended from the same people, they came from you.

80 somehting people (minus Dale Volker, and Dr Rush) spawn millions of decendent.
In theory every Destiny crew (minus Dale Volker, and Dr Rush) are the direct blood ancestor of Novus.

The are their children 's children's ........children's children's children.

escyos
May 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM

true, after a certain amount of generations the genetics would naturally mutate and allow for more diversity. (Kind of funny how there is still Asianesque people when there was only four Asian people aboard and they were all women so they would be unable to breed with each other)

morrismike
May 8th, 2011, 06:06 AM

European chicks have hairy armpits. Eww

morrismike
May 8th, 2011, 06:07 AM
true, after a certain amount of generations the genetics would naturally mutate and allow for more diversity. (Kind of funny how there is still Asianesque people when there was only four Asian people aboard and they were all women so they would be unable to breed with each other)
No one ever accused TPTW are being really bright. They probably figured the fanbase wasn't sophisticated enough to realize everyone would look the same after 2000 years.

KEK
May 8th, 2011, 09:04 AM
No one ever accused TPTW are being really bright. They probably figured the fanbase wasn't sophisticated enough to realize everyone would look the same after 2000 years.

They wouldn't all look the same after 2000 years though, that's the point. I hope you're not basing this idea on something stupid David said on the Gateworld podcast.

morrismike
May 8th, 2011, 09:52 AM
They wouldn't all look the same after 2000 years though, that's the point. I hope you're not basing this idea on something stupid David said on the Gateworld podcast.
There would be no race after 2000 years because of interbreeding. Black people in American don't look much like Africans anymore and this is just a few hundred years of only occasional interbreeding with whites. They'd all look the same after 2000 years. No asians, no blacks, no hispanics, and just darker skin caucasions would be the rule.

ckwongau
May 9th, 2011, 02:57 AM
There would be no race after 2000 years because of interbreeding. Black people in American don't look much like Africans anymore and this is just a few hundred years of only occasional interbreeding with whites. They'd all look the same after 2000 years. No asians, no blacks, no hispanics, and just darker skin caucasions would be the rule.

Well after million of yr, As some people mention , they saw Asian and Black Ancient.
Race still exist in an enlighten society like the Ancient

morrismike
May 9th, 2011, 03:00 AM
Well after million of yr, As some people mention , they saw Asian and Black Ancient.
Race still exist in an enlighten society like the Ancient

That is because they were physically seperate and there were taboos about interbreeding. On Novas there is no choice. There aren't enough of any race to prevent them from interbreeding with the white people.

ArchaeoNerd
May 9th, 2011, 10:45 AM
The original gene pool could have been even smaller. We know that Volker died young. On a new planet with all its dangers, surely there would have been others from the original crew who would have died before being able to reproduce. And some would have lived to ripe old ages without having any offspring, like Wray. I don't think Brody ever had any kids, either.

ArchaeoNerd

Furliciousy2k9
May 10th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I think that it's totally fine, especially since it has been about 2000 years of seperation; both in time and space.

In regards to the question about race. Firstly I'd like to mention that I don't like that phrasing when it comes to humans because from my pov there are no races within homo sapiens sapiens simply because there are no physiological hindrances for any two humans to have sex, reproduce and that offspring not being fertile. However there are differences in ethnicity which is simply due to geographic separation from other members from the same species (the rest of mankind) and different environmental factors. For instance it is common knowledge that the color of ones skin is dependent on solar intensity (UV-radiation). And also the fact that there are greater individual differences when it comes to DNA within a ethnic group than between the different ethnic groups.

The thing is that those kinds of differences take time to evolve, less of course when two individuals from two different ethnic backgrounds mate, but over time (would probably take more than 2000 years if the environment within that region of the planet is not so different from earth) the group should be quite homogeneous in appearance.
However, the two different 'factions' (Young's people and Brody's) could in time evolve differences as well of course as dialects in language, especially we take their colonization of other planets into account.

If I am incorrect in any way, I'm sure someone will point it out to me ;)

gaguhan.galore
May 10th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Trve love knows no boundaries

LtColCarter
May 11th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I still say ewwwwwwwwwwww! 2000 years or not...

nub
May 11th, 2011, 07:23 AM
did someone say Novus guys originated from 80 of the Destiny crew? I've seen on discovery isolated populations of lions and many other species begin to die off from disease and mutation because a few hundred individuals is not enough genetic diversity. This is one of the reasons I didnt like this episode, and I found the whole story pretty pointless and unrealistic. As I find most time travel episodes
Saying that, we're all descendants of Adam and Eve right? and they had no trouble with genetic diversity. not to mention noahs Ark, had only 1 male and 1 female of each species and they did alright

jelgate
May 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I still say ewwwwwwwwwwww! 2000 years or not...

People have mated let alone dated people with closer generations than the length of the Novians