I think the drones were made by...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the drones were made by...

...us. Well, them. Er... the descendants of the alt. Destiny crew.

Reasoning:
    1) We've only encountered them in this galaxy, where the alt. Destiny crew ended up.
    2) As pointed out in this episode, the different colonies that branched out from Novus advanced at different rates... so some might be even more advanced than others.
    3) The Novans that left seemed to have different views on how to run things than those who stayed behind, hence the exodus. Who knows how Brody's little fanatics eventually decided to defend themselves against The Big Bads of this galaxy?
    4) It would just be really cool if humans ended up repeating the mistakes of the Ancients and unleashed our own brand of destruction [whether intentional or not] on a galaxy far, far away, destruction that ended up causing problems for their 'ancestors' aboard Destiny and creating their own existence via temporal paradox.
    5) Had the series continued, Destiny's descendants could have become antagonists for Destiny's crew, their own ancestors.

That's the origin of the drones I'd like to see. Thoughts?
    sigpic
    More fun @ Spoofgate!

I get the feeling they are older than the Novus colony would have been to reach that tech level.

Comment

But, if they ARE from Futura, a people who believed Destiny was coming to save them, why are they attacking Destiny? Surely they could have put in a "if you see this ship, do not attack but lead it back go Futura territory" subroutine?

Comment

Again with this!?

Novus did not exists until WE tried to go back to Earth and the drones existed before that. Your idea is a paradox.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          Again with this!?
          Novus did not exists until WE tried to go back to Earth and the drones existed before that. Your idea is a paradox.
          I didn't realize this idea had surfaced before. Sorry for posting on it in another thread.

As for a paradox... That's exactly my point. It would be interesting if Destiny's crew created the exact threat that lead them to be stranded in the past in the first place.

As for the drones attacking Destiny... Maybe the drones were simply carrying out their main programming to seek out new life and new civilizations and destroy them and took some time to recognize Destiny for what it really was. The blockade of stars might mean that the drones have figured out that it's Destiny they're dealing with.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
            As for a paradox... That's exactly my point. It would be interesting if Destiny's crew created the exact threat that lead them to be stranded in the past in the first place.
            The alternate Destiny encountered the drones BEFORE they went back in time. That Destiny never found Rush waiting for them so it never happened before. If it never happened before and the drones were built by Novus then that crew would have never encountered them.

Comment

to seek out new life and new civilizations and destroy them
              sounds just like Star Trek's mirror universe

Comment

The alternate Destiny encountered the drones BEFORE they went back in time. That Destiny never found Rush waiting for them so it never happened before. If it never happened before and the drones were built by Novus then that crew would have never encountered them.
                This is the crux of the argument. How do you know the Alt Destiny encountered the drones before? We know OUR Destiny encountered them. WE then stumbled upon Alt Destiny falling into the sun. It was never, ever mentioned that Alt Destiny, nor her crew ever encountered the drones before they tried to dial from a Sun.

Just sayin...

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post
                  This is the crux of the argument. How do you know the Alt Destiny encountered the drones before? We know OUR Destiny encountered them. WE then stumbled upon Alt Destiny falling into the sun. It was never, ever mentioned that Alt Destiny, nor her crew ever encountered the drones before they tried to dial from a Sun.

Just sayin...
                  Alt Destiny attempted the dialing under the same circumstances. Without those circumstances, they'd have never attempted it in the first place. The point of divergence is the dialing attempt. Everything before that remains.

Comment

Or so we're left to assume. I hate to sound obstinate about it, but we'll never know for sure.

We've seen in SG1 that alternate timelines can lead to the same result.

Comment

Originally posted by Shylodog View Post

Just sayin...
                      The timelines were identical up to the point where they approached the star, Rush, the supplies, the damage to destiny. No information is contradictory to this so we assume their is none.

Comment

The timelines were identical up to the point where they approached the star, Rush, the supplies, the damage to destiny. No information is contradictory to this so we assume their is none.
                        Because we weren't, nor will we be, told any different. There was a timeline where Sam never joined the military. Daniel was never asked to decipher a cartouche. Teal'c was not enlisted by Jack to rise against Apophis. Yet they still managed through completely different sets of circumstances to fly a puddle jumper back in time to urge the uprising against Ra. There is absolutely no evidence that the alternate timeline encountered the drones, but it's possible that during their travels they discovered along the same timeframe that they could dial from inside the sun and thus creating the alternate timeline. And they never did adequately explain how Destiny was able to travel in time.

If everything happened the same as before, then the Alt Destiny should have encountered an Alt, Alt Destiny. It's enough to make one's head hurt.

Comment

Alt Destiny was the first instance. It wouldn't encounter itself. Once it travel back, it altered time, and from then on there was a second Destiny for the earlier one to encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by nx01a View Post
                            ...us. Well, them. Er... the descendants of the alt. Destiny crew.
                            Well, the folks on Novus built very "primitive" spacecraft capable of transporting folks to the nearest colony sometime in the last 30 years. I'm assuming that as this was the largest (and original) colony it would have the biggest population and the largest industrial base.

So, taking into consideration the time it would take to manufacture something as large as a drone fleet (multiple motherships and thousands of drones), what kind of level of technology and industrial base would they have to possess to do something like this? And if they did have the tech level to build the drones, why would they be afraid of their neighbors?

Now if you're talking about an alternate, alternate universe cultures created in some sort of weird sci-fi loop then all bets are off. I would hope that such is not the case.

regards,
                            G.
                            Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                              Alt Destiny was the first instance. It wouldn't encounter itself. Once it travel back, it altered time, and from then on there was a second Destiny for the earlier one to encounter.
                              I get that. We're supposed to accept that. My question is then, what was so different about Alt Destiny's timeline that they didn't encounter another Alt Destiny falling into the sun? What could have been so wildly different, since we're expected to assume that everything that led up to that point was supposed to be the same?

That's why I say it's entirely possible that Alt Destiny never encountered the drones. But again, we'll never know for sure now will we?

Comment

Working...
                              X