Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHY was Park so concerned with the dangbag of plants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHY was Park so concerned with the dangbag of plants?

I dont mean at first, of course if she can get them to the refrigerated room they're useful. I meant, after she got stuck and knew she would have to ride it out in the dome, she was still carrying around that pointless knapsack. She even took it into the water with her.

Unless she just wanted to brew a big ol' batch of herbal tea in the collection pool, I dont see what exactly she intended to do with a bag of plants that were thoroughly boiled, if not vaporized with all the other plants in the room.

no one knew that destiny was going to lock her in the room. she was trying to save the crews food supply. once the door locked i'm sure human instinct took over and she just jumped in to the water to save her own life i doubt at this point she was even thinking of the bag she was carrying.
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

She's pretty clear on why she wants to save them, and there's no harm in trying.

Comment

The plants were not in an EVA suit like she was though, there's no way they were surviving in any useful condition. And she very deliberately brings the knapsack into the pool with her, even as she's trying to get a grip on the sides of the pool, so I dont think she just got scared and forgot she had it in her hand.

And there was some harm in trying, what really made this stick in my head is when Eli opens the door and vents the hallway, her knapsack gets caught in the airflow like a parachute, pulling her towards the breach while she's trying to reach Eli's hand, ostensibly so she DOESNT get spaced...

I just wish they had just said something about why it was so important at some point. All the talk was about saving the plants so they could replant them later and not lose the seedlines...it'd have to be one hell of a sturdy seed to survive what Park knew they were about to go through and still be viable

edit to below: try sticking a plant in a canvas bag, submerge it in boiling water for 10 minutes, then stick it in the oven at 300 degrees for 10 minutes, and see how much medicinal value or germination potential it retains
        Last edited by droid327; 04 May 2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

The napsack was sealed, and if her boots could hold her in when the compartment vented the first time, they'd hold here.

Again, she's clear on why they're important: they're irreplaceable medicinal plants and Park was not willing to lose them. Hell, for all the effort of hiding in a pool and going blind, I know I would refuse to come out with at least something to show for it.

Comment

True, it might have been stubbornness that made her hold onto that one, but did anyone else catch the 2nd bag getting sucked out?

Comment

There's no way those seeds would germinate no matter what kind of wacky fake science you make up. Seeds that are found buried that are 6000 years old sometimes germinate, but they always have genetic damage from gamma rays and other stuff, and most don't germinate - because even being buried in perfect conditions such as under a canoe underground (dry, etc) they still get radiation damage. Flying through a star in any kind of bag for 2 seconds would fry them.

Comment

food is a good thing to have.

Comment

Short answer: Fear.

Longer Answer:

Tightening her grip on the bag was a natural response. It wasn't the right response, but it was the natural one. She may not have been actually thinking "Huh, these'll be useless because of the vacuum", she was thinking "OH****OH****OH****OH****!" at the most. Her grip on that bag was completely on an unconscious level because of the fight or flight response.

Had she been thinking rationally, yes, she probably would have dumped the bag knowing it would be useless. She didn't because she wasn't thinking rationally. She was ****ting herself the entire time thinking that she was trapped in a room that was about to get roasted in the fiery heart of a star.

Comment

She was concerned about the bag because it contains the medicines that will help her regain her sight. If that is actually the case, it really IS 'destiny'.
                    sigpic
                    More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

That would be ironic to 'see'..

Comment

An alternative theory presented itself just now, and I ask that you all forgive me for suggesting it.

The bag had some seeds for the Purple Fruit.

That is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor One View Post
                          An alternative theory presented itself just now, and I ask that you all forgive me for suggesting it.

The bag had some seeds for the Purple Fruit.

That is all.
                          "Young I can use the third suit, I'll try and save as many unique hybrids and TJ's medicinals as I can"

in the back of Park's mind this really translates to

"gotta save that purple fruit, gotta save that purple fruit...."

Yup, I can see it. I like that theory better

Comment

Just had a though, couldn't she just shove most of the plants in her suit?

Comment

Originally posted by erotavlas View Post
                              Just had a though, couldn't she just shove most of the plants in her suit?
                              eli told her to get her suit on a little while before the room actually became hot enough to kill - and she probably needed most of that time to finalise sealing it. prior to that, she was hoping that eli and rush could open the door - and, if they had, she could have run with the plants to the room they were intended to go to anyway.

we don't know if there's any space left after the user puts the suit on - it may well mould to their body shape. it certainly seems adaptive, considering that there's one large enough for eli to wear. in that case, adding an extra shape - especially one that doesn't quite conform to 'typical' body shapes, much less the user's known shape - may not be possible without taking it off completely.
                              Cantina Petition for Perma-sticky (or own subforum)

Comment

Working...
                              X