PDA

View Full Version : How much ammo did they expend?

garhkal
May 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM
So how much ammo do you think they expended taking out that small drone?

Sakura
May 4th, 2011, 03:59 PM
lots

morrismike
May 4th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Since they had those magical 1000 round clips I'd say 500 rounds. ;)

I think I could kite that thing with a single shot from a M-14 (dating myself) or a scar-h (which I've never had the pleasure or shooting).

General Jumper One
May 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM
lots, and lots

Pharaoh Atem
May 4th, 2011, 05:25 PM
They will never run out

KEK
May 5th, 2011, 01:50 AM
The producers had a count of all the ammo used. After Blockade they should be almost out, which is probably why the line about Brody making more was put in there.

MattSilver 3k
May 5th, 2011, 02:55 AM
But didn't they get a whole lot more thanks to the other Destiny? I doubt three guns taking down the drone, plus a bit of shooting in Common Descent and the Hunt took the ammo count to near zero this quickly...

morrismike
May 5th, 2011, 02:58 AM
The producers had a count of all the ammo used. After Blockade they should be almost out, which is probably why the line about Brody making more was put in there.
I don't want to hurt your feelings, but a semitruck load of ammo is what they've fired since the first episode. Brody lacks the knowledge, tools, and materials to manufacture ammo for semiauto weapons. He may (and that's a big may) be able to manufacture servicable ammo for a revolver or bolt action rifle but that is pushing it.

morrismike
May 5th, 2011, 02:59 AM
But didn't they get a whole lot more thanks to the other Destiny? I doubt three guns taking down the drone, plus a bit of shooting in Common Descent and the Hunt took the ammo count to near zero this quickly...

5.56 is prettly light unless you are shooting "soft targets" (i.e. squirrels, rabbits, or people). 7.62 nato round would kite one of those with a single shot.

KEK
May 5th, 2011, 03:03 AM
I don't want to hurt your feelings, but a semitruck load of ammo is what they've fired since the first episode.

It really hasn't. In fact there are only about ten episodes where any shots were fired at all. Given that they brought through expedition supplies, it's well within the realms of possibility that they haven't quite ran out yet.

stargeek123
May 5th, 2011, 03:29 AM
I would of thought the ancients would have left weapons on Destiny. To have them when they arrived as planned.

KEK
May 5th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I'm not so sure. Generations would have passed by time they planned to gate there, so presumably anything they left would have been thousands of years out of date. I think it makes more sense that they'd have brought that stuff with them.

actuallyliam
May 5th, 2011, 07:02 AM
What i don't get is they got all those guns and ammo in Twin Destinies. How have they managed to use it all in 3 episodes of shooting. We saw some shooting from Greer in The Hunt and some from Scott and Greer in that field in Common Descent? Yet we're almost out of ammo in Blockade?

And yet apparently people have been making ammo during this time also.

"we can have brody make more." Didn't Young say.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 5th, 2011, 08:40 AM
AL,

What i don't get is they got all those guns and ammo in Twin Destinies. How have they managed to use it all in 3 episodes of shooting. We saw some shooting from Greer in The Hunt and some from Scott and Greer in that field in Common Descent? Yet we're almost out of ammo in Blockade? And yet apparently people have been making ammo during this time also.

"we can have brody make more." Didn't Young say.

How does Brody accomplish this magic without the tools to machine the bullets the explosives to make the primers (precussion caps), the substances necessary to make the propellent, and the brass to make the casings?

Shylodog
May 5th, 2011, 11:06 AM
AL,

How does Brody accomplish this magic without the tools to machine the bullets the explosives to make the primers (precussion caps), the substances necessary to make the propellent, and the brass to make the casings?

Because Brody is the man? With his special "Brody Powers" he is able to create, at will, any and all items they need as demand arises.

/sarcasm off

The Destiny
May 5th, 2011, 01:50 PM
We don't know. It wasn't shown on screen :) But then again if the still wasn't shown on screen, would we believe Brody made alcholic beverages? Apparently he did so it's not out of the realm of possibility. All we know is Young said "brody can make some more". Either that's sarcasm ( bad sarcasm if we don't know if it's sarcastic ) or he really did make bullets. I was suprised they were 'low on ammo' after doubling the number of bullets in twin destinies, whereas we hadn't heard that complaint anymore since the first episodes on season 1.

garhkal
May 5th, 2011, 02:23 PM
It seems to me they gathered more weaponry, not necessarily more ammo in TD..

actuallyliam
May 6th, 2011, 12:36 AM
Still, they never complained about Low ammo before Twin Destinies. Yet they apparently doubled it in Twin Destinies. Given they'd have the same amount on both ships. Yet now they're almost out. I guess they could have used the ammo between the episodes. Maybe they should have filmed these they sound cool. Little more gun play a little more gate.

The Destiny
May 6th, 2011, 02:52 AM
It seems to me they gathered more weaponry, not necessarily more ammo in TD..

Why wouldn't they? They went to the armoury. Why would they pick up all the guns from the tables but leave the ammo? That would be the mot stupid thing to do ever. What are they going to do wth twice as many guns if they have no ammo, use them as clubs?

I'm positive they grabbed all the ammo at the same time they grabbed guns in the armoury. All the stuff was lying on the tables there, it's not like ammo is that much more difficult to carry or anything.

morrismike
May 6th, 2011, 03:03 AM
It really hasn't. In fact there are only about ten episodes where any shots were fired at all. Given that they brought through expedition supplies, it's well within the realms of possibility that they haven't quite ran out yet.
They been in space longer than 39 days. There are shows that dozen(s) of clips are expended. There were no cases of ammo brought thru the game when they arrived. I'm cool with the endless ammo thing but don't you try to put forth they've been shooting up what they brought. The firefight with the LA alone was enough to burn up that ammo.

morrismike
May 6th, 2011, 03:07 AM
We don't know. It wasn't shown on screen :) But then again if the still wasn't shown on screen, would we believe Brody made alcholic beverages? Apparently he did so it's not out of the realm of possibility. All we know is Young said "brody can make some more". Either that's sarcasm ( bad sarcasm if we don't know if it's sarcastic ) or he really did make bullets. I was suprised they were 'low on ammo' after doubling the number of bullets in twin destinies, whereas we hadn't heard that complaint anymore since the first episodes on season 1.
A cave man can make booze. Making ammo sufficient to work the slide of a pistol or rifle requires powder with a very specific burn rate, jacketed bullets (requires a draw mill for the lead wire and a press/die for bullets), powder with a very specific burn rate, primers (special materials and a press, and last of all assembling ammo and resizing cases (dies and press). They ain't making ammo.

KEK
May 6th, 2011, 04:37 AM
They been in space longer than 39 days. There are shows that dozen(s) of clips are expended. There were no cases of ammo brought thru the game when they arrived. I'm cool with the endless ammo thing but don't you try to put forth they've been shooting up what they brought. The firefight with the LA alone was enough to burn up that ammo.

Which episodes? Keep in mind we can completely discount Time. Also, I'm pretty sure we didn't see what was in all of the cases brought through the gate in the first place.

General Jumper One
May 6th, 2011, 04:51 AM
They never worried about ammo in the first season of SGA, no need to worry about it here.

knowles2
May 6th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Well they are worrying about it here.
An it more likely that in Altantis they bought millions of rounds of ammo, to last them for years if necessary. They manage to bring in all the supplies necessary for the expedition for years.

For all we know the crew only bought with them the ammo they had in the pockets and already loaded into the guns and nothing else.

There also a possibility that the crew has split the ammo in to two stock piles, one stock pile is for Destiny defense only, never allow to leave the ship and use only for the defense of a attack through the stargate it self and a secondary smaller stockpile use for off world missions only. It could be this secondary stock pile is running low or out. An young has already made up his mind up about not dipping into there reserves. An gave Brody the job of finding ways to manufacturing new ammo.

Perhaps malfunctioning ammo could have came up in a season 3 episode story.

Starsaber
May 6th, 2011, 05:42 AM
There also a possibility that the crew has split the ammo in to two stock piles, one stock pile is for Destiny defense only, never allow to leave the ship and use only for the defense of a attack through the stargate it self and a secondary smaller stockpile use for off world missions only. It could be this secondary stock pile is running low or out. An young has already made up his mind up about not dipping into there reserves. An gave Brody the job of finding ways to manufacturing new ammo.

I like this idea, but I'm not sure why he wouldn't dip into the reserves when Destiny's survival was far from certain and he had all but 3 expedition members with him.

Vanek26
May 6th, 2011, 06:35 AM
Well they are worrying about it here.
An it more likely that in Altantis they bought millions of rounds of ammo, to last them for years if necessary. They manage to bring in all the supplies necessary for the expedition for years.

Yet they ran out of coffee.

stargeek123
May 6th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Destiny has a battery charging station on board for flashlights and things... Maybe it has a bullet creator too. lol re:mckayanime07:-

knowles2
May 6th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Yet they ran out of coffee.
Coffee is not exactly a priority is it.

Shylodog
May 6th, 2011, 08:55 AM

Depends if you drink coffee or not. ;)

Rylor
May 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM

I sincerely hope you are kidding. Coffee is priority 1 :D

Shylodog
May 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM

When I was a kid, I would have denied this statement with my last breath. Now that I'm old... well... All I can say is, "Indeed."

thekillman
May 6th, 2011, 12:51 PM
coffee is the fuel of brilliant minds. glucose just isn't energetic enough. :D

if pre-Twin Destinies, they had one clip for every gun, then post-twin destinies, they STILL have one clip for every gun. they just would have twice the guns.

still, they were low on ammo before TD. now they have twice the low ammo which isn't a hellofalot by any standard.

garhkal
May 6th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Why wouldn't they? They went to the armoury. Why would they pick up all the guns from the tables but leave the ammo? That would be the mot stupid thing to do ever. What are they going to do wth twice as many guns if they have no ammo, use them as clubs?

I'm positive they grabbed all the ammo at the same time they grabbed guns in the armoury. All the stuff was lying on the tables there, it's not like ammo is that much more difficult to carry or anything.

I agree it would have been the smart thing to do, but all we saw was them gathering up the weaponry.

knowles2
May 6th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Depends if you drink coffee or not. ;)I do not, either does the person who planned the Atlantis expedition.

Nah, Blackcurrant and Tea and coke is the priority. Really cannot stand coffee.

Nth Chevron
May 6th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Tea and cola is all the budding super-genius needs.

As for the ammo, 2 full teams raided the armory on TD, i hope you saw the scene where all the guns were laid out in a neat and ordered way, would it not be smart for them to have ammo boxes ready to grab and go asap without having to shift boxes, open a crate to see what it is and then take it?

Odds are the armory on TD was cleaned, thoroughly, i would hazard a guess at it being priority 1 for the 2 teams assigned as the spare console parts were priority 1 for some other teams.

You know how the military love their guns.

N.C

Shylodog
May 6th, 2011, 09:27 PM
You know how the military love their guns.

N.C

Yes. Yes we do. I find myself in agreement with the poster earlier who said while they may have gotten more ammo, they also got more guns. If they were at 10% ammo before, they would still be at 10% ammo given they not only doubled their ammo, but also doubled their weapons.

If you have 40 Marines, and only 20 weapons, by doubling your weapons you now have everyone armed with the same limitation in ammo as you had before with half the weapons.

morrismike
May 7th, 2011, 03:19 AM
They never worried about ammo in the first season of SGA, no need to worry about it here.
To be fair they brought about a truckload of ammo to atlantis. The destiny folks had what was in their pockets.

KEK
May 7th, 2011, 03:37 AM
They brought through expedition supplies, we don't know how much (if any) ammunition was in there.

knowles2
May 7th, 2011, 03:25 PM
They bought through some of the expedition supplies.

We have never been told or will ever be told what exactly they bought through. But I do remember there were more than a few crates left when Rush finally left Icarus. An I believe he was the last one through. I also would not be surprise if Ammo was well to the back of essential supplies to shift through the gate when it was finally open a ninth chevron address.

geddarkstorm
May 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Personally, I took the Brody quip as sarcasm, or just a joke on Young's part, since Brody has done so much (the still and paper, both relatively easy things however). I seriously doubt it was meant as a real comment; not unless they picked up stuff from the Novans.

Shylodog
May 7th, 2011, 05:53 PM

We have never been told or will ever be told what exactly they bought through. But I do remember there were more than a few crates left when Rush finally left Icarus. An I believe he was the last one through. I also would not be surprise if Ammo was well to the back of essential supplies to shift through the gate when it was finally open a ninth chevron address.

Rush was the first off Icarus, Young was last, and he left quite a bit later (in seconds anyways) because he stopped to get the stones, IIRC.

Vanek26
May 7th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Rush was the first off Icarus, Young was last, and he left quite a bit later (in seconds anyways) because he stopped to get the stones, IIRC.

uh? Scott was the first. Rush was in the middleish. Young was last.

morrismike
May 8th, 2011, 06:14 AM

The atlantis expidition literally had a ton of ammo. I didn't see them carrying anything like that for destiny. The arrived with the clips in their pockets, nothing more.

KEK
May 8th, 2011, 09:16 AM
They brought through loads of cases of expedition supplies. We don't know what was all of them

Shylodog
May 8th, 2011, 09:30 AM
uh? Scott was the first. Rush was in the middleish. Young was last.

Working off of memory sometimes has adverse results for me. I was thinking Rush was first, because he put the lockout into Destiny's system.

morbosfist
May 8th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Rush didn't put any sort of lockout into the system.

Shylodog
May 8th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Rush didn't put any sort of lockout into the system.

He certainly did. It originally prevented them from controlling the lockout timer on the gate windows, as well as preventing them from altering Destiny's course.

morbosfist
May 8th, 2011, 11:30 AM
He certainly did. It originally prevented them from controlling the lockout timer on the gate windows, as well as preventing them from altering Destiny's course.Uh, no. I don't know where you're getting this idea, but it's patently false. The reason they couldn't control the ship for the entire first season is because primary systems were isolated by the master code, something Rush did not know and spent most of the first season trying to find. He found it in the second season.

Shylodog
May 8th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Uh, no. I don't know where you're getting this idea, but it's patently false. The reason they couldn't control the ship for the entire first season is because primary systems were isolated by the master code, something Rush did not know and spent most of the first season trying to find. He found it in the second season.

I could swear I saw a conversation between Rush and Destiny/Franklin where Franklin (or in the form of Rush's wife) mentions he put the supposed "master code" in to prevent everyone else from futzing around with Destiny's systems. If I'm wrong, then I'll stand corrected.

morbosfist
May 8th, 2011, 11:59 AM
I could swear I saw a conversation between Rush and Destiny/Franklin where Franklin (or in the form of Rush's wife) mentions he put the supposed "master code" in to prevent everyone else from futzing around with Destiny's systems. If I'm wrong, then I'll stand corrected.There's no such conversation. He refuses to tell them the code for that reason, but that's an entirely different distinction.

garhkal
May 8th, 2011, 01:59 PM
Yup, there is a difference in cracking the master code, and putting in one of your own.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 9th, 2011, 04:28 AM
knowles,

Young was the last one through.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 9th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Shylo,

No, Scott was the first off Icarus. Rush was somewhere in the middle. Rush's algorythm cracked the master code created by the Ancients. See the first season episode "Human".

FoX-1028
May 9th, 2011, 06:11 AM
They got ammo in Twin Destinies -_-

Shylodog
May 9th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Shylo,

No, Scott was the first off Icarus. Rush was somewhere in the middle. Rush's algorythm cracked the master code created by the Ancients. See the first season episode "Human".

I stood corrected by morbo. I went back and watched Pathogen and the conversation I thought had taken place had not. The conversation was there, but not the content I must have made up in my head. Actually the conversation was about Rush futzing with the countdown timer, not setting the master code, and his attempts were causing Destiny to change course slightly. I must be getting old.

RafK2
May 22nd, 2011, 12:49 AM
As i recall from the good ole days, 5.56 rounds come in small boxes of 20 with perhaps 80 boxes in a NATO case that was about 3/4 foot long by half a foot by half a foot. so physically the cases are fairly small (albiet quite heavy) that contained 1600 rounds. You somnetimes see them carried on small palletts, which im fairly sure i saw at least one in malice, which contained as i recall about 16 per pallet which, assuming it was full means that they have at least 25600 rounds. 4.6 mm and 9mm rounds a similier amount in similer sized containers. whilst theyre very heavy to lug around a few could have been chucked through the gate without noticing.

Thats not as much as it seems, on a range day we could easily get through a couple of cases and we mostly only fired on semi automatic nothing like the full auto these guys love.

morrismike
May 23rd, 2011, 04:31 PM
As i recall from the good ole days, 5.72 rounds come in small boxes of 20 with perhaps 80 boxes in a NATO case that was about 3/4 foot long by half a foot by half a foot. so physically the cases are fairly small (albiet quite heavy) that contained 1600 rounds. You somnetimes see them carried on small palletts, which im fairly sure i saw at least one in malice, which contained as i recall about 16 per pallet which, assuming it was full means that they have at least 25600 rounds. 4.6 mm and 9mm rounds a similier amount in similer sized containers. whilst theyre very heavy to lug around a few could have been chucked through the gate without noticing.

Thats not as much as it seems, on a range day we could easily get through a couple of cases and we mostly only fired on semi automatic nothing like the full auto these guys love.

What good ole days. Those rifles use 5.56mm (0.223 Remington)

RafK2
May 23rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
apologies 5.56 was tired

david112
June 15th, 2011, 01:22 PM
We need to remember that we also have all the LA weapons and their ammo too, presumably they had the presence of mind to bring quite a bit with them.