PDA

View Full Version : Seed Ships and the Drones

RafK2
May 4th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Wonder how they were going to explain how they got past the drones

KEK
May 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM
They could have been long gone before the drones were even invented.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 4th, 2011, 12:05 PM
KEK,

I though of RafK2's question and your answer was my solution.

General Jumper One
May 4th, 2011, 02:51 PM

end thread/

Pharaoh Atem
May 4th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I'm more worried about the novas ships :(

morbosfist
May 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Those things aren't likely to give off enough EM for the drones to notice.

garhkal
May 5th, 2011, 02:07 PM
True, they run only on sublight, so most likely don't put out much radiation to be detected.

blackluster
May 6th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Those things aren't likely to give off enough EM for the drones to notice. EM isn't really the problem since it propagates through space at the speed of light which is relatively slow. The drones would have to be very close to the course the Novan ships were taking, even if they did nothing to shield their emissions. The killer is subspace emissions. Ironically, the fact that Novan tech hasn't progressed to the point of subspace communications is likely what will save them for the time being. It would be good though if Destiny could at least warn them about the drones somehow. It would be a sad end on the day their tech finally progresses that far only to have some command ships descend from the heavens and cut their civilisation short.

garhkal
May 6th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't say that.. we know their outposts had Long range comms with one another (as seen in common decent), so maybe they DID have crude subspace transmitters.

Shylodog
May 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't say that.. we know their outposts had Long range comms with one another (as seen in common decent), so maybe they DID have crude subspace transmitters.

I don't think we ever saw long range communication equipment (as would relate to subspace). The colony couldn't communicate with other colony worlds or Novus. We likely saw a standard communication array for the individual settlements on that colony world to be able to talk to one another. Unless that's exactly what you meant, but I'm still not getting your mention of "crude subspace transmitters".

Nth Chevron
May 6th, 2011, 04:20 PM
He means the 1.0 version.

As for the Seed ships, they are 2000 years ish ahead of Destiny, as they survived the drones they either never encountered them or were bloody good.

So this either means the Seed ships are faster than Destiny/better shielded which we know t be false, or it means the drones creation falls into the Novus civilisation span, more pointers as to the fact the Novans MAY have created the drones.

N.C

morbosfist
May 6th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Destiny had to go off-course to encounter the drones in the first place. If the drones did exist back then, it's probable the seed ships just simply didn't fly into drone space.

s09119
May 6th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Like everyone else said, we know that the seed ships are at least 2000 years ahead of the crew ("Common Descent"), and I doubt the drones were around back then.

Gollumpus
May 7th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Destiny had to go off-course to encounter the drones in the first place. If the drones did exist back then, it's probable the seed ships just simply didn't fly into drone space.

Yup. However, might the drones have encountered a seeder ship and this is why so much is known about Destiny? It's possible that courses were changed, a vessel was damaged and put off course.

regards,
G.

PS - might even one of the seeder ships have been completely taken over by another race, and been altered to produce drones?

Shadow_7
May 7th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Possible, but then they wouldn't be having many gates to blockage or blow up. And the novans wouldn't have been able to expand out in the galaxy. Although the number of gates seem rather sparse these days. But they are down at least one seed ship.

garhkal
May 7th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I don't think we ever saw long range communication equipment (as would relate to subspace). The colony couldn't communicate with other colony worlds or Novus. We likely saw a standard communication array for the individual settlements on that colony world to be able to talk to one another. Unless that's exactly what you meant, but I'm still not getting your mention of "crude subspace transmitters".

When the drones attacked the camp, the 2 kids said "they destroyed our long range transmitter'.. if the other camps were "as implied" close by, why would they have needed transmitters?

morbosfist
May 7th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Long-range transmitter doesn't imply subspace. Your average radio doesn't have a lot of range.

morrismike
May 8th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Why aren't the drones destroying the gates in destiny's path? Since they are not, why aren't they using the gate network to destroy on an intergalactic scale?

morbosfist
May 8th, 2011, 06:30 AM
The gates don't give off any energy when inactive. Not a target.

Gala
May 8th, 2011, 06:36 AM
The drones attack all technology but doesn't seem like they are smart enough as to pick up everything... for example the novus people would have been using the gates for many years yet they never recieved any kind of attack until destiny popped up and dialed a gate right in front of the drones. Now they're blocking all gates they can.

The Swarm
May 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM
The Seeder Ships didnt even meet the drones. They also dont need to gate to supply and the Command Ships never formed Blockades around stars because they never knew that Seeder Ships could recharge like that.

Keeper
May 8th, 2011, 08:52 AM
The gates don't give off any energy when inactive. Not a target.

not entirely true: in common descent, when eli activates the on/off switch, all it does is indicate to destiny that the gate is online and available for connections.

thus, there seems to be a (very weak) subspace transmission from all available gates detailing their current status. it is also logical to assume that these transmissions are not only when destiny is in the area, since they need to keep each other apprised of connectivity as well.

morbosfist
May 8th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Yeah, but that's a much weaker signal, and constant at that. It might not always be active, either, sort of like a query system when a compatible device is in range.

garhkal
May 8th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Maybe the drones have leared that a destroyed gate gives off nothing, and are letting them stay as is as a lure.

blackluster
May 9th, 2011, 04:13 AM
Maybe the drones have leared that a destroyed gate gives off nothing, and are letting them stay as is as a lure. That is possible, or the drones may have a fast adapting way to assess new technology. In the engagement between Destiny, the Seed ship and the command ship, the Ursini had the Seed ship go dormant and the drones seemed to leave it alone until the Ursini powered up and charged at the command vessel. Similarly, the gates in systems Destiny hasn't reached yet may be completely quiet, waiting for Destiny to send a query subspace signal before they power up. (This is a technique often employed in remote embedded systems to conserve power since the transmitter tends to be the most power-hungry subsystem.) So the drones have dual motive in that the gates are where Destiny will be, but the gates themselves are inactive so there is no need to shoot at them.

KEK
May 9th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I think Eli speculated that they might not be able to pick up suck a weak signal, whereas the activation of a gate is a massive subspace event.

blackluster
May 9th, 2011, 05:16 AM
Well, from a distance yes, but if we assume the current state of affairs to be accurate, there is a command ship parked right on top each of the worlds that possess a stargate. If the gates were actively pinging for Destiny constantly, the command ships would know about it. That then leads to garkhal's point where if that is the case, then why have they not destroyed the gates since they are functioning detectable technology.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 9th, 2011, 06:39 AM
How hard would it be to "blockade" a star system? The distances are vast beyond our comprehension and these ships must have tremendous acceleration to cross the distances required within the time necessary to get across those distances effectively to block access to the Stars. I know it's part of the suspension of disbelieve but I just thought of that one.

morbosfist
May 9th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Well, if you know the path the ship absolutely has to take, know where it has to stop, know what it uses to recharge, and have the resources to block all of these things, then the actual implementation isn't that hard. The drones don't need to rest. They can fly out ahead of Destiny until they reach their destination.

blackluster
May 9th, 2011, 06:50 AM
How hard would it be to "blockade" a star system? The distances are vast beyond our comprehension and these ships must have tremendous acceleration to cross the distances required within the time necessary to get across those distances effectively to block access to the Stars. I know it's part of the suspension of disbelieve but I just thought of that one.
From what I can tell visually, Destiny does appear to be ferociously fast even at sublight. They usually drop out of FTL some distance from the target star and it isn't long after that Destiny starts descending into at a cruise. We know from the last few eps that even at max sublight, the drones and command ship can outrun Destiny. So I would think even if the drones were positioned non-favourably within the star system, they still have the engines to run Destiny down before it can get into the star.

Shadow_7
May 9th, 2011, 09:15 AM
For all we know the drones are the replicators of this universe. There could literally be a command ship AT every star. Not that there needs to be, but there could be.

If only in premise, Destiny has already time travelled at least once. Perhaps they can do it again and go back say a year and be on their merry way without the drones noticing. Of course they'd have to get to a star first. And somehow calculate a time jump. While not destroying the ship (or it's passengers) in the process.

garhkal
May 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM
That would be interesting to see... well it would have been.