PDA

View Full Version : Park's sight

The Destiny
May 4th, 2011, 03:57 AM
What do you think. Do you think she will be able to see again, or do you think she will be permanently blind?

( I haven't seen any sneak-peek or promo's yet though, so I don't know if i was covered in that. )

escyos
May 4th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Actually she develops the ability to have tentacles come out of her eyes and attack others.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 4th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Destiny,

I think she's perminantly blind. One of the reasons I like SGU is that there is cost for their survival. Character shields exist but they are much weaker than prior iterations of Stargate.

qingdom
May 4th, 2011, 04:39 AM
I must say though.... the suit has some powerful gravitation magnets... It's also amazing how much will power she had to walk from the pool to the door.... blindly, mind you... while still having a tight grip on the bag of vegetation (more than likely dead vegetation now).

AND! She knew she was at the door when Eli came. Park is one awesome scientist with an awesome photographic memory of direction! =D

Rico
May 4th, 2011, 04:44 AM
How many knew this was going to go bad when she asked to stay on board? (Yeah - everyone). I thought for sure she was going to die and Eli would have a new reason to hate Rush. I hope she gets her sight back - at least for the last episode.

Rylor
May 4th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I think her blindness is only temporary, although it would be a bold move to make it permanent. But, with only one episode to go, I doubt we will find out.

exscape
May 4th, 2011, 06:15 AM
I think her blindness is only temporary, although it would be a bold move to make it permanent. But, with only one episode to go, I doubt we will find out.
Recovery from flash blindness only takes minutes, so we should find out.

J-Whitt Remastered
May 4th, 2011, 06:34 AM
What do you think. Do you think she will be able to see again, or do you think she will be permanently blind?

( I haven't seen any sneak-peek or promo's yet though, so I don't know if i was covered in that. )

She becomes "Lisa Park: The Woman Without Fear." She then leaves when they find a populated planet and dresses up in leather and fights crime with Greer as her sidekick.

Trinary
May 4th, 2011, 06:37 AM
I think it's a temporary blind case unless her face and skins were burnt too, then it will be a permanent.

Otherwise, it's a good time to introduce a new medical solution from Novus database to link her visual nerves to a Kino remotely.

GoodSmeagol
May 4th, 2011, 01:53 PM
I think it's a temporary blind case unless her face and skins were burnt too, then it will be a permanent.

Otherwise, it's a good time to introduce a new medical solution from Novus database to link her visual nerves to a Kino remotely.

I vote for this!
Walking around with a kino flying around her head, some good stuff!

Gollumpus
May 4th, 2011, 04:15 PM

I'm assuming the plan was to have her sight restored the same time as TJ's medical problem was solved.

regards,
G.

Pharaoh Atem
May 4th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I hope she's blind

morbosfist
May 4th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Now to see if Destiny has accessibility features for the blind.

the fifth man
May 4th, 2011, 08:41 PM
To make those events have a bigger impact, I think she should remain blind.

Pharaoh Atem
May 4th, 2011, 09:15 PM
sadly i doubt we'll never get to find out.

To make those events have a bigger impact, I think she should remain blind.

yup SGU tries to keep the realism. keeping park blind would def bring a new twist to the series

droid327
May 4th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Ignoring the fact that there's only one more episode, which makes discussions of permanence somewhat moot, I dont think she would be permanently blind. When you're talking about the EM energy output of a supergiant star at pointblank range, there's a very narrow window between "blinded" and "instantly vaporized into a quark-gluon plasma".

I dont know how they could explain it that the shield/suit filtered out JUST ENOUGH deadly broad-spectrum EM energy to keep her alive, conscious, and not covered in radiation burns, but permanently fry her rods and cones. I think the more likely scenario, as Rush intimated, was that her optic nerves just got overstimulated by the intensity of the visible light, and will recover relatively quickly. The suit could filter out enough to prevent permanent damage, while still having a threshhold high enough to allow enough light to temporarily dazzle you in a sudden flash.

Infinite-Possibilities
May 4th, 2011, 09:53 PM
It was pretty obvious that something was going to happen to her the moment that she volunteered, so I'd guess that she would have been permanently blind if the show continued.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 5th, 2011, 04:39 AM
morbos,

If not I'm sure the OSHA representative at homeworld command will have sharpe words for Col. Young. This is a U.S. Government instillation now, after all. It MUST be OSHA complient.

actuallyliam
May 5th, 2011, 06:55 AM
I don't think she will be permanently blind. I mean Greer survived his infection and both survived their surgeries.

I think that it will seem like it's permanent for the last episode. But it would have started coming back next season. She would have had to go through the long process of getting used to it. They'd have found a cure that allowed it to come back after a few treatment much like Teal'c in early SG1 episode. Where all the team except him are captured in those electrified boxes.

Keeper
May 5th, 2011, 07:08 AM

IIRC:

chloe&rush's corridor was sloped

mckay&eli's corridor was sloped.

i haven't seen stairs yet anywhere, at least not that i remember. the only place that may be stepped is the bridge, and i can't remember if there's a slope at one side.

personally, i would prefer to see permanent blindness, as it would give some kind of actual impact to park, her work, her relationship with greer, and how volker sees her. to say nothing of how the rest of the crew sees her.

however, i've not noticed any negative effect having a long-term effect anywhere. so, i can't see it happening - much as it might have been interesting.

Shylodog
May 5th, 2011, 08:21 AM
IIRC:

chloe&rush's corridor was sloped

mckay&eli's corridor was sloped.

i haven't seen stairs yet anywhere, at least not that i remember. the only place that may be stepped is the bridge, and i can't remember if there's a slope at one side.

personally, i would prefer to see permanent blindness, as it would give some kind of actual impact to park, her work, her relationship with greer, and how volker sees her. to say nothing of how the rest of the crew sees her.

however, i've not noticed any negative effect having a long-term effect anywhere. so, i can't see it happening - much as it might have been interesting.

McKay & Eli? I'm not understanding that one. McKay was only in one episode.

We have seen stairs in the gateroom and the bridge, but that's about it. Everywhere else seems to be accessible by the Wonkavator.

Keeper
May 5th, 2011, 09:54 AM
McKay & Eli? I'm not understanding that one. McKay was only in one episode.

We have seen stairs in the gateroom and the bridge, but that's about it. Everywhere else seems to be accessible by the Wonkavator.

ahh yes, the bloody spiral things in the gateroom. hate that type of stair :p

still can't remember specifically seeing stairs in the bridge, but i don't look at the floor much so...

rush and chloe used a particular corridor somewhere that i seem to recall being sloped, during her smurf days. in mckay's episode, he's seen talking to eli, about why something wouldn't work, though it seemed they agreed on the idea of dialling destiny from langara - again in a corridor which i believe was sloped. perhaps the same one, perhaps different, to the one rush and chloe used - it wasn't stated specifically. i liked the way eli and mckay were portrayed together, which is probably why i remember it a bit better.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 5th, 2011, 10:51 AM
There are stairs in the Gate room.

Shylodog
May 5th, 2011, 10:59 AM
rush and chloe used a particular corridor somewhere that i seem to recall being sloped, during her smurf days. in mckay's episode, he's seen talking to eli, about why something wouldn't work, though it seemed they agreed on the idea of dialling destiny from langara - again in a corridor which i believe was sloped. perhaps the same one, perhaps different, to the one rush and chloe used - it wasn't stated specifically. i liked the way eli and mckay were portrayed together, which is probably why i remember it a bit better.

Ah ok. I was confused, now it makes sense.

The Destiny
May 5th, 2011, 01:44 PM
SGU focusses on the characters and their development, so I think that if there was a 3rd season they would explore Park & Greer's relationship with her being blind.
Although there is also the nice drama approach of Greer not being able to handle it and leaving her, and Volker stepping up ;) Doubt that'd happen though. Greer is one dedicated guy.

garhkal
May 5th, 2011, 02:22 PM
I think the more likely scenario, as Rush intimated, was that her optic nerves just got overstimulated by the intensity of the visible light, and will recover relatively quickly. The suit could filter out enough to prevent permanent damage, while still having a threshhold high enough to allow enough light to temporarily dazzle you in a sudden flash.

Re-watched it last night, and to me the blindness came when she opened her eyes as the flareup of fire was being sucked out into space... That to me is what caused it.

There have been ladders around though.

magictrick
May 5th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Well Varro fell down who knows how far and he's back up and walking, shooting rocket launchers like its nobody's business. Nothing permanent there.

I would say for Park its permanent but who knows.

blazingfire
May 5th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joe Mallozzi's blog was going on about how Blockade would mean a tragic fate for a character so I think she's going to remain blind permanently.

But in all sense she should be blind for about a week and then recover.

Shai Hulud
May 6th, 2011, 12:20 AM
They do say that if you bash the bishop too much you go blind...

actuallyliam
May 6th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Would her eye problem be the severe, I mean she would have burned her corneas or such. Don't they have a laser on Destiny? They can't fix it. Or at-least give her back some sight.

morrismike
May 6th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Would her eye problem be the severe, I mean she would have burned her corneas or such. Don't they have a laser on Destiny? They can't fix it. Or at-least give her back some sight.
you're kidding right?

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 6th, 2011, 04:36 AM
mm,

you're kidding right?

A non-doctor just did a kidney transplant. I doubt that's a joke.

icsteffi
May 6th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I agree. The smart writing move would be to leave her blind. I think the move was perfect because I didn't want her to die. Man, how I did not want her to die!! But also I didn't want the whole scene, situation to mean nothing.

Anyone play Final Fantasy 8? Kinda wanted her to be sucked into space, and for Volker to come back, suit up, and go retrieve her just before her air ran out. :D

Steelbox
May 6th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I agree. The smart writing move would be to leave her blind. I think the move was perfect because I didn't want her to die. Man, how I did not want her to die!! But also I didn't want the whole scene, situation to mean nothing.

Anyone play Final Fantasy 8? Kinda wanted her to be sucked into space, and for Volker to come back, suit up, and go retrieve her just before her air ran out. :D

Yeah but there won't be any Ragnarok Ship or Colorful Propagator enemies on board.

garhkal
May 6th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Well Varro fell down who knows how far and he's back up and walking, shooting rocket launchers like its nobody's business. Nothing permanent there.

I would say for Park its permanent but who knows.

To be fair he was limping badly it seemed.

knowles2
May 7th, 2011, 12:15 AM
I hope for the story she was perminently blind, which would make a fascinated story, especially if TJ disease started appearing ahead of schedule. An we still got the Volker, Geer and Lisa love triangle. So yeah I hope she stays blind permanently. As it create more stories possibilities in the future than her regaining her site.

Sadly it does not really matter as the series is cancelled.

Trinary
May 7th, 2011, 01:17 AM
My perspective on her situation base on SG plotline traditions would be:

1. SG-1: Greer becoming more closer to Park. He will be the eyes for Park and end up marrying her. The first married ceremony on destiny.

2. SGA: Rush suggesting Park to sit on the "chair" to restore her sight. Her sight got restored but not physically. Instead, it was hallucination interface modified by Eli to use Kino as an artificial vision. Only work for a short period of time or in a critical condition since it may bring to her an unseen side effects.

3. SGU: Greer blamed Rush for Park's blindness. A new reason for Greer having a hostile behavior toward Rush. Park locked herself in the dark in her quarter for days. She still can't accept for losing her sight. Suddenly, Franklin appeared to her out of the blue in the darkness of her sight... That's all.

morrismike
May 7th, 2011, 03:17 AM
To be fair he was limping badly it seemed.
A 40ft fall of concrete will turn your bones to dust.

KEK
May 7th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Pretty sure we don't know how far the fall was, nor how hard the floor was.

The Destiny
May 7th, 2011, 06:34 AM
A 40ft fall of concrete will turn your bones to dust.

I doubt this statement sooooo much.

It will break some bones, sure, but turn your bones to dust, come on. I'm sure there are stories of people surviving higher falls than that and Varro wasn't the wimpiest guy on the ship either.
He's a tough guy. In leather.

Gollumpus
May 7th, 2011, 06:40 AM

It will break some bones, sure, but turn your bones to dust, come on. I'm sure there are stories of people surviving higher falls than that and Varro wasn't the wimpiest guy on the ship either.

True that, and he would know how to take a fall. He would have had lots of experience because Kiva was probably knocking him on his butt every other day. :P

regards,
G.

The Destiny
May 7th, 2011, 06:42 AM
True that, and he would know how to take a fall. He would have had lots of experience because Kiva was probably knocking him on his butt every other day. :P

Or those rainstorms on his homeplanet that can collapse shelters :)

* bang, crash! *
"Damnit, not again! Honey?
- yes dear?
The rain broke the ceiling again!"

morrismike
May 7th, 2011, 10:57 AM

On concrete?

knowles2
May 7th, 2011, 03:11 PM
On concrete?

An yes on concrete, people will still survive, they will not be walking and they will most likely not be telling there stories down the pub for a few months but people have and do survive such falls.

garhkal
May 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
And since he is alien (well not fully human) and has seemed to heal quickly other injuries, it is not surprising to me he was up and about that soon.

morbosfist
May 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Varro is just as human as a Earth-borne person. The only difference is what planet he was born on.

Keeper
May 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Varro is just as human as a Earth-borne person. The only difference is what planet he was born on.

this may or may not in fact be totally accurate.

different show, but: in Andromeda, someone born on a heavy-gravity world was considered to be genetically altered from a 'pure' human. they were also typically able to cope with falling a little further than most other humans. in OldBSG's spin-off on earth, because they were used to heavier gravity than earth norm, the kids were able to jump a lot higher than any unaided earth-human.

there's precedent, too, in the SG franchise - the planet jack grows old on is hardly 'normal' humans. i realise that they were altered by food and some goa'uld, however: there's also the broca divide planet, with the aggression/regression disease, that may have been natural. in the tower (atlantis episode) we see a bloodline that has held the ATA gene for generations, while earth humans - to our knowledge - are only developing it now.

with varro, we know little more than he's a capable hunter and leader, as well as killer when needed. he's smart too. but we don't know what his world was like - and we should remember that freaks like Nirrti were testing humans and experimenting with them too. as the LA comes from former snake territories, we haven't the faintest idea what differences they may have gone through, naturally or otherwise.

morbosfist
May 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM
different show, but: in Andromeda, someone born on a heavy-gravity world was considered to be genetically altered from a 'pure' human. they were also typically able to cope with falling a little further than most other humans. in OldBSG's spin-off on earth, because they were used to heavier gravity than earth norm, the kids were able to jump a lot higher than any unaided earth-human.In Andromeda, which it's admittedly been a while since I've seen, I'd assume that such heavy-worlders had been on said world long enough to actually breed such traits into their progeny. Wouldn't happen on the spot.

there's precedent, too, in the SG franchise - the planet jack grows old on is hardly 'normal' humans. i realise that they were altered by food and some goa'uld, however: there's also the broca divide planet, with the aggression/regression disease, that may have been natural. in the tower (atlantis episode) we see a bloodline that has held the ATA gene for generations, while earth humans - to our knowledge - are only developing it now.They were normal humans. Nanotech was futzing with their physiology. Same with "The Broca Divide" only substitute with disease. "The Tower" was merely selective breeding, and even then it was failing. By comparison, the Ancients who interbred with humanity (some had to) were more spread out and humanity wasn't exactly making an effort to keep those genes alive. They still possess it, but it's diluted.

with varro, we know little more than he's a capable hunter and leader, as well as killer when needed. he's smart too. but we don't know what his world was like - and we should remember that freaks like Nirrti were testing humans and experimenting with them too. as the LA comes from former snake territories, we haven't the faintest idea what differences they may have gone through, naturally or otherwise.Naturally they can't be much better. Maybe a little smarter like Jonas benefited from, but certainly not more advanced unless Nirrti experimented on him.

GoodSmeagol
May 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
this may or may not in fact be totally accurate.

different show, but: in Andromeda, someone born on a heavy-gravity world was considered to be genetically altered from a 'pure' human. they were also typically able to cope with falling a little further than most other humans. in OldBSG's spin-off on earth, because they were used to heavier gravity than earth norm, the kids were able to jump a lot higher than any unaided earth-human.

there's precedent, too, in the SG franchise - the planet jack grows old on is hardly 'normal' humans. i realise that they were altered by food and some goa'uld, however: there's also the broca divide planet, with the aggression/regression disease, that may have been natural. in the tower (atlantis episode) we see a bloodline that has held the ATA gene for generations, while earth humans - to our knowledge - are only developing it now.

with varro, we know little more than he's a capable hunter and leader, as well as killer when needed. he's smart too. but we don't know what his world was like - and we should remember that freaks like Nirrti were testing humans and experimenting with them too. as the LA comes from former snake territories, we haven't the faintest idea what differences they may have gone through, naturally or otherwise.

Why explain all of that circumstantial evidence?
Season 6, there was this dude, uhmmm Jonas Quinn who starred in around 20 episodes. His ancestors were taken from earth at the same time as Varros, give or take. As told by Nirti, generations off Earth has changed his physiology more then he realized. He had some advanced memory, and learning abilities.
100% concrete proof that in the SG universe, the few thousand years is enough to evolve humans more so then our current knowledge of genetics allows in reality.

Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble
May 9th, 2011, 12:01 PM
It would be good if she went blind permently but with only one episode left it doesn't really matter now.

Keeper
May 9th, 2011, 12:45 PM
In Andromeda, which it's admittedly been a while since I've seen, I'd assume that such heavy-worlders had been on said world long enough to actually breed such traits into their progeny. Wouldn't happen on the spot.

They were normal humans. Nanotech was futzing with their physiology. Same with "The Broca Divide" only substitute with disease. "The Tower" was merely selective breeding, and even then it was failing. By comparison, the Ancients who interbred with humanity (some had to) were more spread out and humanity wasn't exactly making an effort to keep those genes alive. They still possess it, but it's diluted.

Naturally they can't be much better. Maybe a little smarter like Jonas benefited from, but certainly not more advanced unless Nirrti experimented on him.yep, andromeda had to breed it in. but 2,000 years isn't a short time for people on such a world - afaik, a generation is roughly about 30 years, give or take, for humans atm. 66 generations are going to have to adapt to those conditions in 2000 years.

broca and the nanotech one, sure, normal humans. you're right, but it shows that they developed differently because of their circumstances. did they evolve further? no, from what we could see they were same as they were when taken from earth. but they're different from earth humans in their systems, their beliefs, their practices, and we don't know how they would have developed with no interference. they were also on mostly earth-type planets - though, in fairness, the only time we've seen different gravities as far as i recall is on ships. whether it's a production issue, making actors walk as though they're in heavy gravity all the time, or a franchise 'fact' i guess we'll never know.

fact is, we don't know what goa'uld had varro's territories, and whether they experimented on people. we also don't know what conditions his folks may have undergone. we cannot say, with absolute certainty, that nothing would have changed. not unless TPTB have stated it, anyway.

Why explain all of that circumstantial evidence?
Season 6, there was this dude, uhmmm Jonas Quinn who starred in around 20 episodes. His ancestors were taken from earth at the same time as Varros, give or take. As told by Nirti, generations off Earth has changed his physiology more then he realized. He had some advanced memory, and learning abilities.
100% concrete proof that in the SG universe, the few thousand years is enough to evolve humans more so then our current knowledge of genetics allows in reality.

umm, because i'd actually forgotten jonas - i've watched andromeda, broca divide, and that ageing planet one more recently :p

but, while nirti mentioned he was changed more than he knew, there was no other mention about it. jonas, even among his people, was a genius - and we have people on earth in the real world with similar abilities, iirc. it's a small mention which is easily passed over, at least partly because there's no development beyond that :)

morbosfist
May 9th, 2011, 02:32 PM
yep, andromeda had to breed it in. but 2,000 years isn't a short time for people on such a world - afaik, a generation is roughly about 30 years, give or take, for humans atm. 66 generations are going to have to adapt to those conditions in 2000 years.Of course, one must remember that the Ancients seeded Earth-like worlds. They probably wouldn't bother with heavy-grav planets.

broca and the nanotech one, sure, normal humans. you're right, but it shows that they developed differently because of their circumstances. did they evolve further? no, from what we could see they were same as they were when taken from earth. but they're different from earth humans in their systems, their beliefs, their practices, and we don't know how they would have developed with no interference. they were also on mostly earth-type planets - though, in fairness, the only time we've seen different gravities as far as i recall is on ships. whether it's a production issue, making actors walk as though they're in heavy gravity all the time, or a franchise 'fact' i guess we'll never know.Social and genetic changes are two entirely different things. The only humans to have really evolved a specific mutation were those UV sensitive humans from that one episode with the terraforming ship.

fact is, we don't know what goa'uld had varro's territories, and whether they experimented on people. we also don't know what conditions his folks may have undergone. we cannot say, with absolute certainty, that nothing would have changed. not unless TPTB have stated it, anyway.Fair enough, but the Goa'uld, bar a few here and there, never seemed terribly interested in advancement. They just wanted worship.

garhkal
May 9th, 2011, 03:44 PM

We also don't know if maybe he is from a planet which like Johna's people' were already a little ahead on the evolutionary ladder.

Dale Volker
July 13th, 2012, 11:27 PM
If there were to be a season 3 of SGU (please!) then I think they might drag out her blindness and then restore it near the end of the season... maybe..

garhkal
July 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I am wondering. If park used the stones to take over someone on earth (for say a visit or otherwise), would she have sight in the new body? Would the one in her body have sight?

SaberBlade
July 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I am wondering. If park used the stones to take over someone on earth (for say a visit or otherwise), would she have sight in the new body? Would the one in her body have sight?

Would be no different to when Dr. Perry used the stones, the person taking over Park's body would have no sight as it's a physical injury while she (Park) could see in the others.

jelgate
July 14th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Or remember Telford feeling Young's leg pain when he used the stones in Air. I agree with SaberBlade the lose of eyesight would change as the person inhabiting the body chaged

jeri
July 19th, 2012, 06:33 AM

She did use the stones in Gauntlet and there is a scene of her standing in the rain looking around, as a last sight before they go into stasis.

garhkal
July 21st, 2012, 12:51 PM
Ah.. forgot that little snippet. Though did that mean she saw? or was she just lovign being back on earth in the rain?