PDA

View Full Version : Things Which Bugged Me.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 06:55 PM
So, Scott's and Greer's parties got stuck in those buildings and they hid from the one drone which seemed to patrol up and down the avenue. There were several instances where the drone was a number of storefronts down the street from them.

Why didn't anyone try to go out the back door?

regards,
G.

GoodSmeagol
May 3rd, 2011, 07:22 PM
Back doors would have been convenient, since when does anything happen on the show that is convenient... That would ruin the show, easy outs would be bad.
wait a minute...

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Another thing which bugged me:

The sensors on a drone mother ship are able to note energy signatures from many light years away, even from another solar system. Okay, I'm fine with that.

So, why are the drone sensors so poor that they would not be able to target an active stargate which might only be a few miles (or less) away? Yes, they are smaller, however we have seen them activate from similar distances and home in on a target, such as when they were first introduced.

regards,
G.

morbosfist
May 3rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
The drones did detect the active Stargate. That's why they came in the first place. They homed in on Scott because he used his radio and was closer.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
The drones did detect the active Stargate. That's why they came in the first place. They homed in on Scott because he used his radio and was closer.

Oh, stop making good sense. :P

regards,
G.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 08:28 PM
When Park gets into the water, she mags her boots to the side of the tank. When the dome is blown they are the only thing which stops her from being sucked out with the rest of the stuff.

So I'm thinking, the way she was drawn up by the forces on her body, either: 1.)her ankles would be broken such that she could not walk; 2.)the suit would have a structural failure and she would burn up.

regards,
G.

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
When Park gets into the water, she mags her boots to the side of the tank. When the dome is blown they are the only thing which stops her from being sucked out with the rest of the stuff.

So I'm thinking, the way she was drawn up by the forces on her body, either: 1.)her ankles would be broken such that she could not walk; 2.)the suit would have a structural failure and she would burn up.

regards,
G.

I was more concerned about how she made it back to the door and was so close to Eli's hand when he was reaching for her when she's supposed to be blind.

Lahela
May 3rd, 2011, 09:02 PM
I was more concerned about how she made it back to the door and was so close to Eli's hand when he was reaching for her when she's supposed to be blind.

That's my one niggle with the ep too.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 09:07 PM

Most of the pressure to suck stuff out of the room was gone during the time in the star. When she got to the door I suspect she was likely walking through vacuum.

What we saw when she had reached the door was her trying to lean forward against the air pressure entering the dome room. Her mag boots were holding her in place and she was trying to lean forward against the pressure.

regards,
G.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 09:12 PM
At the end of the sequence with Park she still has a bag in her hand. I'm thinking that bag (and anything inside of it), should be ash.

regards,
G.

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Most of the pressure to suck stuff out of the room was gone during the time in the star. When she got to the door I suspect she was likely walking through vacuum.

What we saw when she had reached the door was her trying to lean forward against the air pressure entering the dome room. Her mag boots were holding her in place and she was trying to lean forward against the pressure.

regards,
G.

BUT... And I apologize for this nitpick... She was leaning directly in Eli's direction, she was LOOKING at him (her eyes were not shut) and her hand never got more than 5 inches from his. He was not in the center of the door, and she leaned in the direction of the side of the doorway he was in. AND, how did she know she was just on the other side of the door? Aside from the door opening device that is.

Lahela
May 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM

regards,
G.

But she was blind - how did she find her way to the door from the middle on the room, struggling against being sucked out into space, freaked out and disoriented?

I really do hate nitpicking, but this has been bugging me a lot :o

ETA: Beaten to a reply! LOL!

morbosfist
May 3rd, 2011, 09:28 PM
Blind or not, Park is not an idiot. Finding her way to the door is actually fairly simple. She's standing in a tank that is directly aligned with the door. She's facing directly away from the door. Do a 180, start walking until you hit something. Also, you'll notice that she never tries to grab Eli's hand. She just holds it at the door hoping for a grab.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
Well, let me say this about that, those things didn't bug me:

1.) from what I recall of the dome, the water tank is on a direct line to the door. She gets out of the tank, puts it to her back and walks forward.

2.) the action in the room had stopped (the room had vented) until Eli opened the door which drew air from the rest of the ship towards the dome. Park was able to walk without air pressure going against her to reach the door.

3.) Eli contacted Park when he reached the door to the dome. When Eli did open the door, Park had her mag boots on to hold her in place. She had to lean forward against the air pressure, and was likely afraid to pick up her feet until contact was made with Eli.

4.) Park was at the center of the door but figured out that Eli would be to her left as that was where the control panel would be. That would be the way she would have to lean to try and make contact.

regards,
G.

themeatcleaver
May 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
umm, correct me if i'm wrong but... shouldn't the water have been sucked out as well? seems like that would have been too beautiful of an effect to leave out!

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 10:00 PM
umm, correct me if i'm wrong but... shouldn't the water have been sucked out as well? seems like that would have been too beautiful of an effect to leave out!

Yeah, that all got handled in another thread (or two). :)

regards,
G.

Lahela
May 4th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Blind or not, Park is not an idiot. Finding her way to the door is actually fairly simple. She's standing in a tank that is directly aligned with the door. She's facing directly away from the door. Do a 180, start walking until you hit something. Also, you'll notice that she never tries to grab Eli's hand. She just holds it at the door hoping for a grab.

Except that the tank wasn't "directly aligned with the door", it was in the middle of the room (Rush said as much) and surrounded by planter boxes. I can provide a cap, if you'd like. No, she's not an idiot, but under such trying circumstances it would be quite a feat to get back to the door without sight. If she did manage it, bravo to her. I just don't think it's very likely and as such, spoiled my suspension of disbelief.

TheRandomOne
May 4th, 2011, 01:58 AM

Park is an idiot in the sense that had she stayed where she was & did not move she would still be able to see

meo3000
May 4th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Drones that are designed to seek and destroy tech, but take the time to target biologicals??? I can understand Scott and Greer, they have radios but everyone else shouldnt be worried at all. The drones dont give a crap about humans, just the tech. But why is the gate still standing, surely it wouldve been destroyed after the locals last activated it.

Oh yeah, stop asking embarrassing questions that makes the writers look bad.

The Destiny
May 4th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Park is an idiot in the sense that had she stayed where she was & did not move she would still be able to see

'stayed where she was', do you mean next to the door, or in the water?

In either case she'd go blind from the light flash, wether she was in the water or next to the door. Next to the door she could have gotten sucked out through the damaged dome.

Or do you mean she didn't leave the dome soon enough? The alarm went off, she immediately grabbed her things and went for the door, she was nearly through the door when it closed, it just closed a second too soon.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 4th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Gollumpus,

At the end of the sequence with Park she still has a bag in her hand. I'm thinking that bag (and anything inside of it), should be ash.

regards,
G.

She pulled the bag into the water with her. They're just par boiled plants.

stargeek123
May 4th, 2011, 04:45 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

stargeek123
May 4th, 2011, 04:58 AM
'stayed where she was', do you mean next to the door, or in the water?

In either case she'd go blind from the light flash, wether she was in the water or next to the door. Next to the door she could have gotten sucked out through the damaged dome.

Or do you mean she didn't leave the dome soon enough? The alarm went off, she immediately grabbed her things and went for the door, she was nearly through the door when it closed, it just closed a second too soon.

When Destiny closed the door two seconds before she got there... it was like sorry for ya. I know Destiny was trying to conserve power and protect the ship but two seconds? If should of realized she was in danger and open the door just enough for her to get out.

Retro_Invasion
May 4th, 2011, 05:36 AM
Why do drones need lights to see?

stargeek123
May 4th, 2011, 05:41 AM

HA. When I seen that I was thinking of the show COPS.

General Jumper One
May 4th, 2011, 05:47 AM

regards,
G.

The bag was also soaking wet, wet things don't usually burn unless the liquid its soaked with is flammable.

thekillman
May 4th, 2011, 06:40 AM

it needs light for it's light sensors to work properly. radios were off, so most magisensors don't work

stargeek123
May 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM
They could not find food? I thought I seen a convenience store on the road when they were looking around. Maybe it had some Twinkie's. They still would be good.

General Jumper One
May 4th, 2011, 07:36 AM
They could not find food? I thought I seen a convenience store on the road when they were looking around. Maybe it had some Twinkie's. They still would be good.

they found food, canned food to be precise

stargeek123
May 4th, 2011, 07:39 AM
they found food, canned food to be precise

Right. I seen that. Can food with the labels worn and unreadable. But that's all they could get? Seems like there would be more there than that.

Retro_Invasion
May 4th, 2011, 07:49 AM
If they could not find a gun shop why not look for a police station for guns and if they found none in there they could just say,"maybe they were British." ;)

General Jumper One
May 4th, 2011, 08:02 AM
If they could not find a gun shop why not look for a police station for guns and if they found none in there they could just say,"maybe they were British." ;)

British have guns, Canadians on the other hand...

Retro_Invasion
May 4th, 2011, 08:06 AM
British have guns, Canadians on the other hand...

Canadian police carry guns, most British police do not.

slimbones
May 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I didn't understand why they didn't get any supplies from the planet they drop the colonist on. We could probably assume they dropped them on the colony where the novus ships were heading which they had coords for at only 10 days away. That colony should have been more advance than the one in this ep. Should of had all the supplies needed even people with skills that could be useful on destiny like an experienced doctor with equipment who could cure the disease tj had.

General Jumper One
May 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Canadian police carry guns, most British police do not.

that's not the point

garhkal
May 4th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Drones that are designed to seek and destroy tech, but take the time to target biologicals??? I can understand Scott and Greer, they have radios but everyone else shouldnt be worried at all. The drones dont give a crap about humans, just the tech. But why is the gate still standing, surely it wouldve been destroyed after the locals last activated it.

Oh yeah, stop asking embarrassing questions that makes the writers look bad.

Perhaps the drones couldn't get into where it was at to destroy it.

Shylodog
May 4th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I'm really getting the sneaking suspicion that the Command Ships are biomechanical. The "AI" isn't artificial at all. The drones? Sure they are completely artificial as we have seen. But the Command Ships are hiding something. I'm not thinking they are "crewed", nor am I thinking they are like the Cylon Raiders in the new BSG. I'm thinking along the lines of something like the Shadow ships in B5.

Retro_Invasion
May 5th, 2011, 05:16 AM
that's not the point

LMAO. My point was they could have looked for a police station instead of whining about the lack of a gun store.

garhkal
May 5th, 2011, 02:16 PM
I would have had more people out, going through houses.. Clothing, and other stuff in them. Plus they may have gotten some personal weaponry.

What of sports stores? Here in the us many have guns.

Gollumpus
May 6th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I would have had more people out, going through houses.. Clothing, and other stuff in them.

I just saw the episode (again) and I was thinking the very same thing. The amount of stuff they brought back just didn't look like it would feed them for more than a day or two, so I suppose we're to think they had more than we were shown.

Granted they are supposed to be in a poorer section of town, still you'd think that another couple teams doing a closer recon of the area around the gate might have turned up something. The only drawbacks to doing such a thing is it creates a greater likelihood of somebody doing something stupid, and you don't know what to expect out there. Maybe not everyone is gone...

Still, I think I would have had a few more folks going out for a look.

regards,
G.

Shylodog
May 6th, 2011, 09:08 PM
One thing that bothered me a little after a rewatch... Why was there a statuette of a puppy (specifically a Beagle) on the desk next to the phone in the office that Scott's team took refuge in?

Just wondering. :p

morbosfist
May 6th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I honestly couldn't figure out what that thing was until you drew attention to it.

Shylodog
May 6th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I honestly couldn't figure out what that thing was until you drew attention to it.

Sorry :(

Heh heh.

Gollumpus
May 6th, 2011, 10:34 PM
One thing that bothered me a little after a rewatch... Why was there a statuette of a puppy (specifically a Beagle) on the desk next to the phone in the office that Scott's team took refuge in?

Just wondering. :p

I thought it was a basset hound.

I figure there's a creature on that planet which looks a lot like a basset hound and it's in our genetic make-up to create cute, little statues of them, OR, it's an old family heirloom brought over on the Mayflow... I mean, Destiny, and was once on someone's desk back on Icarus base.

regards,
G.

Shylodog
May 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I thought it was a basset hound.

You're absolutely right. I got my breeds confused.

garhkal
May 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM
If i were Young, i would have had

4 teams of 4 (1 soldier, 3 scientists/civs) on food hunt duty
4 teams of 4 on medicine duty
4 teams of 4 on gun/ammo duty
3 teams on clothing duty.

That would be 60 people out.

morrismike
May 8th, 2011, 08:11 AM
If i were Young, i would have had

4 teams of 4 (1 soldier, 3 scientists/civs) on food hunt duty
4 teams of 4 on medicine duty
4 teams of 4 on gun/ammo duty
3 teams on clothing duty.

That would be 60 people out.
They wouldn't need to all be out at once either. The first teams could do the scouting to save time. 9 hours is a lot of time.

garhkal
May 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM
That it is. Heck i revise my list..

4 two man teams for scouting. Each goes out for 1 hr in a set compass direction, then comes back (2 hrs total) with a list of what stores/shops/buildings they found.

Then team up groups to go gather from the identified places..

morrismike
May 8th, 2011, 02:45 PM
That it is. Heck i revise my list..

4 two man teams for scouting. Each goes out for 1 hr in a set compass direction, then comes back (2 hrs total) with a list of what stores/shops/buildings they found.

Then team up groups to go gather from the identified places..
It's too bad we weren't in charge.

morbosfist
May 8th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I should point out the reason Young didn't send dozens of people out was because the planet had obviously been abandoned. When there are obvious signs of civilization but no actual civilization, it's best to be cautious.

garhkal
May 9th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hence why i said send out scouts first. THEN gatherers..

Heck even just 2 hrs of gathering stuff would have netted a good haul.