PDA

View Full Version : Why no visors on the suits?

garhkal
May 3rd, 2011, 06:34 PM
You would think suits designed for working in space, would have some sort of "Visor" or Shaded glass in the eye piece area for when working in space/around bright lights.. Would that have helped out Parks?

s09119
May 3rd, 2011, 06:37 PM
You would think suits designed for working in space, would have some sort of "Visor" or Shaded glass in the eye piece area for when working in space/around bright lights.. Would that have helped out Parks?

It's possible they have some sort of light filter... but she was staring into a blue supergiant. As they dived inside of it. I don't think that's something you can just filter out.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
I suspect that it is something she would look into later...

regards,
G.

erotavlas
May 3rd, 2011, 07:41 PM

I was thinking the same thing, the only explanation I can think of is that the suits do have some sort of eye protection like visors but Park was just unable to access the control to activate it, or manually lower it since she was too busy holding on for her life.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM
I was thinking the same thing, the only explanation I can think of is that the suits do have some sort of eye protection like visors but Park was just unable to access the control to activate it, or manually lower it since she was too busy holding on for her life.

Well, she is a self-admitted "expert" on those suits, so if she forgot about a visor then that would be silly. And the Ancients being the Ancients, I'm thinking there'd be some kind of automatic filter which would activate, if no manual visor.

I'm going with the situation being too much for the design specs of the equipment.

regards,
G.

LordRush
May 3rd, 2011, 08:46 PM
Maybe she panicked when the dome was breached? I mean put yourself in her shoes, she was under a lot of stress you can see that in her face when she was submerged in the water and the water started to boil, then the dome was breached and venting atmo she was hysterical trying to hang on for dear life, she didnt think fast enough to activate the visor. She thought she was gonna get cooked, visor was the least of her worries. Hopefully will find out next episode.

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2011, 08:51 PM
I suspect that it is something she would look into later...

regards,
G.

Pun intended?

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
Maybe she panicked when the dome was breached? I mean put yourself in her shoes, she was under a lot of stress you can see that in her face when she was submerged in the water and the water started to boil, then the dome was breached and venting atmo she was hysterical trying to hang on for dear life, she didnt think fast enough to activate the visor. Hopefully will find out next episode.

Well, she was in control of herself to remember to mag her boots to the side of the water tank, so I think putting down a visor would have been something pretty obvious for her to do. And her hands were free to use. It was the mag boots her in place.

Your comment about the look on her face is perhaps the real answer here. If there was a visor, we could not see her face at that crucial moment. :)

regards,
G.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Pun intended?

What, a pun from me? NEVER! :P

regards,
G.

thekillman
May 3rd, 2011, 10:24 PM
i presume there is a small visor shield for filtering. but i believe that Destiny was unable to filter all EM, so why would her visor be capable of it?

ZoSo
May 3rd, 2011, 10:29 PM
Like I said in the general discussion thread, these suits may just be intended for deep space work only. Destiny only ever comes close to a star when it is recharging and that's usually not a good time for a spacewalk.

blazingfire
May 4th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Like I said in the general discussion thread, these suits may just be intended for deep space work only. Destiny only ever comes close to a star when it is recharging and that's usually not a good time for a spacewalk.

But what about situations that involve emergency space walks close to the sun? All possible contingencies should be covered, I'd say.

Gollumpus
May 4th, 2011, 08:06 AM
But what about situations that involve emergency space walks close to the sun? All possible contingencies should be covered, I'd say.

Meh, they'd probably do them at night...

regards,
G.

Pharaoh Atem
May 4th, 2011, 08:17 AM
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season5/511-TheLostTribe/screencaps/PDVD_0812.JPG

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/106-Water/screencaps/normal_sgu_106_0553.jpg

The sga model has a visor so maybe the crew hasn't figured out how to turn it on

eonflux
May 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
It was the light that blinded her. Not EM or other radiation. If that was the case she would have been cooked alive. Ever sat in a car sitting in the sun?

Rylor
May 4th, 2011, 04:44 PM
It was the light that blinded her. Not EM or other radiation. If that was the case she would have been cooked alive. Ever sat in a car sitting in the sun?

Um, light is electromagnetic radiation.

erotavlas
May 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM

Exposure to very intense UV, or infrared can cause damage to the retina, even blindness. It does not have to be the visible spectrum.

The car analogy doesn't really apply to a space suit. A car has many windows which allow the visible and infrared rays through to the inside, which heat up the inside surfaces in addition to heating up the outside surface. Also a car is not thermally insulated like a space suit. I would guess the EV suits on Destiny are insulated well, preventing the transmission of heat to the inside or heat loss to the outside by convection/conduction

Greenfire32
May 4th, 2011, 05:22 PM

Did you see how close they were to that star? It's a miracle she survived at all!

spoiler'd for size:
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/atl_season5/511-TheLostTribe/screencaps/PDVD_0812.JPG
http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/albums/uni_season1/106-Water/screencaps/normal_sgu_106_0553.jpg
The sga model has a visor so maybe the crew hasn't figured out how to turn it on

While, yes, the SGA and SGU suits are the same props, in terms of canon they are not the same suit.

Example, the aliens who tried to trade weapons-grade naquadah for the Prometheus that Vala stole in SG-1 used the same weapon props as the race whose weapons were similar to Ronan Dex's gun in SGA. However, they were not the same weapons.

Make sense?

EDIT

A better example is Mike Dopud himself. He's played so many different characters, but they're not all the same people. That's what I'm trying to say with the suits.

erotavlas
May 4th, 2011, 05:31 PM
While, yes, the SGA and SGU suits are the same props, in terms of canon they are not the same suit.

or they could be the same suit, the ancients were already really advanced. maybe they perfected the suit as much as possible and kept using a similar design all the way up to atlantis.

Greenfire32
May 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
or they could be the same suit, the ancients were already really advanced. maybe they perfected the suit as much as possible and kept using a similar design all the way up to atlantis.

If that were the case, we would have found evidence of that. In SGA, the suits were of Asgard design. In SGU, there are of Ancient design.

In any case, they aren't the same suit. Merely the same prop and I've already explained that above.

erotavlas
May 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Evidence of what? Where? What prop? :S

morbosfist
May 4th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Evidence of what? Where? What prop? :SThe suits in the show are reused props. They first appear as the Asgard battlesuits in "The Lost Tribe".

wingsabre
May 4th, 2011, 06:59 PM
The suits are different, specifically the head piece. In SGA the head piece was designed so that we couldn't see the person behind it, while in SGU it's designed so that you can see the person behind it. This was also done in BSG in order for the audience to see who is in the suit. Logically, there's no real need for there to be a backlight in the helmet in order to visualize the face of who is in it.

So I propose this mechanism. The suit has a visor, and it was activated. It's just, you can still see through it because it was backlit, so that others can see who is inside. It's just so happens that the suit was not designed to work inside a giant blue star.

erotavlas
May 4th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Logically, there's no real need for there to be a backlight in the helmet in order to visualize the face of who is in it.

Why not? In space there may be times when you are in complete darkness, and with multiple people wearing suits there's no other way to distinguish between the people inside.

eonflux
May 5th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Exposure to very intense UV, or infrared can cause damage to the retina, even blindness. It does not have to be the visible spectrum.

The car analogy doesn't really apply to a space suit. A car has many windows which allow the visible and infrared rays through to the inside, which heat up the inside surfaces in addition to heating up the outside surface. Also a car is not thermally insulated like a space suit. I would guess the EV suits on Destiny are insulated well, preventing the transmission of heat to the inside or heat loss to the outside by convection/conduction

And that is exactly what I mean. The helmet has a window. If what you are saying is true her whole face would have been cooked. That did not happened (at least for the time-being we dont know). From this I concluded that whatever the window is made off filters out the harmful radiation except the light.

Im no expert on this but. Shades block out UV. But still when you look directly into the sun it still hurts.

garhkal
May 5th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Um, light is electromagnetic radiation.

I thought it was the "Flash up of the fire" that was the blinding factor for her..

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
May 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM
The suits have no visors, but they can prevent a person from being cooked when being close to the surface of a star? You'd think a suit that advanced would have some sort of visor, or a way of protecting the face as well as the rest of the body in conditions like this.

generaloneill
June 6th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Maybe the suits were prototypes or 1.0 versions, which is how Eli described the Destiny stargate in one episode, if the ancients had made it to destiny then maybe improvements would have been made to the suits.

garhkal
June 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Ohh.. didn't think of them also being prototypes.

Snowman37
June 6th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Simply put, the costume designers probably aren't aware of space suits having visors. As for whether it would help, nope. As others have said, when that close to a star... her vision was simply toast. Even if she had a visor and closed her eyes, if her face was facing the star, she'd still have been blinded. To add some realism, her face should have been burnt as well.

beafly
June 7th, 2011, 08:27 AM
I just found it interesting that with that proximity to the star the shield/dome/suit circumstance let the perfect amount of energy in to the helmet to burn out her retinas but not turn her into a smoldering pile of ash. Bordering on the ridiculous in my humble opinion.

Sllimy
June 11th, 2011, 09:02 AM
The way I see it, the helmets work the same way as the window on the observation deck. While there is no visible filter, there clearly is, evidenced by the fact that when they are flying through a star, they can look directly at it and not be completely blinded.

garhkal
June 11th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Which to me is surprising in and of itself..