PDA

View Full Version : They can dial earth now right ?

rvi9981
May 3rd, 2011, 03:56 AM
The ship is at full power does that mean they will just dial earth when the drones come back? At full power they should be able to dial earth

mparsons1981
May 3rd, 2011, 03:59 AM
No, i dont think that is true. I believe it takes more than just the ship being at full power to dial earth, they need an extra power source - hence dialing from within a star (whilst the reserves are constantly being replenished), or the attempt to use the seed ship earlier in the season.

General Jumper One
May 3rd, 2011, 04:04 AM
No, they can't dial Earth because even with the batteries at "full" charge they still need more

escyos
May 3rd, 2011, 04:44 AM
As far as we know Destiny still cannot be fully recharged.

Rylor
May 3rd, 2011, 04:48 AM
Destiny's "batteries" are nowhere near their full capacity, they can only be recharged to 40% of the original design.

gaguhan.galore
May 3rd, 2011, 04:51 AM
think cellphone batteries that slowly lose charging capacity per recharge, extend that over millions of years. they addressed this issue episodes ago.

begs the question, though, on why they haven't yet found ways to fix this. two(?!) ancient repairbots and all

Pharaoh Atem
May 3rd, 2011, 05:17 AM
The ship is at full power does that mean they will just dial earth when the drones come back? At full power they should be able to dial earth

The ships is always @ 40% after recharging

Pharaoh Atem
May 3rd, 2011, 05:18 AM

The ships is always @ 40% after recharging

Steelbox
May 3rd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Destiny's "batteries" are nowhere near their full capacity, they can only be recharged to 40% of the original design.

That was over a year ago. Haven't they managed to increase the amount of energy they can hold? What about the spare parts they collected on the twin destiny? No luck on that part?

carmencatalina
May 3rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
That was over a year ago. Haven't they managed to increase the amount of energy they can hold? What about the spare parts they collected on the twin destiny? No luck on that part?

Unfortunately, the spare parts are just as old as the parts on "their" Destiny. So if it is a matter of the "batteries" no longer being able to hold a full charge, doesn't seem to be a way to get around it.

GoodSmeagol
May 3rd, 2011, 01:45 PM

They needed those parts to fix broken parts on their ship too.
They were dead in the water without the extra parts.
So in effect, they were not extra at all, they were required as the extra already.

Shadow_7
May 3rd, 2011, 01:59 PM
I was kind of hoping that going through the different star would boost their power capacities somehow. Of course, do they even know where the batteries are yet?

Hard to believe that there's only one more episode left.

geddarkstorm
May 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM
Fixing "batteries" is way, way more complicated than fixing a few broken power relays, or patching up a hull. Without nanotech facilities on hand, you can't even make our modern cell phone batteries.

garhkal
May 3rd, 2011, 06:27 PM
think cellphone batteries that slowly lose charging capacity per recharge, extend that over millions of years. they addressed this issue episodes ago.

begs the question, though, on why they haven't yet found ways to fix this. two(?!) ancient repairbots and all

I have repair tools for a car. BUT that does not mean without PARTS i could fix it.
As we have seen, the crew is short on parts.. heck most likely all those spares they got from the "alt-destiny" in Twin Destinies were already used up.

rvi9981
May 3rd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Rush said they was at full power so I assume they can dial earth

morbosfist
May 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
They cannot dial Earth and never could. Even at full power, there's no way Destiny could.

garhkal
May 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Full charge... Which is still only 40% of FULL POWER.. Think how many times you recharge a rechargeable battery. THe more you do so without fully draining it, the less it eventually holds. Which is why all rechargeable batteries have "Shelf lives", cause eventually they wear out.

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2011, 09:04 PM
Full charge... Which is still only 40% of FULL POWER.. Think how many times you recharge a rechargeable battery. THe more you do so without fully draining it, the less it eventually holds. Which is why all rechargeable batteries have "Shelf lives", cause eventually they wear out.

Unless you know the trick to bump the memory back up. But even then, if you do that too many times you run the risk of those little buggers blowing up on you. ;)

The Swarm
May 4th, 2011, 01:09 AM
They are at full power of the max capability the ship can hold right now...which is 40%.
U thought it was obvious realy.

Ser Scot A Ellison
May 4th, 2011, 04:45 AM
rvi,

I don't think Destiny, as others have said, has the power, even fully charged, to dial Earth. However, I am curious about Rush's statment that the batteries were at maximum charge. That would be nice if the need a longer period of time before recharging.

General Jumper One
May 4th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Rush said they was at full power so I assume they can dial earth

Yes...they are 100% of 40% full! ;)

done.

garhkal
May 4th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Unless you know the trick to bump the memory back up. But even then, if you do that too many times you run the risk of those little buggers blowing up on you. ;)

OT.. What trick> Never heard of any trick to that..

Shylodog
May 4th, 2011, 02:58 PM
OT.. What trick> Never heard of any trick to that..

Requires AC, if I remember right (never professed to knowing the secret in it's entirety myself). I used to have a PC Master Technician that could take any laptop battery with low memory (they could never hold more than a 5-10% charge) and utilizing the stripped ends of a power cord (I can't remember if it was just plugged straight into the wall, or if there was a device between the socket and the stripped ends) he would touch certain contacts on the battery and just like magic, the batteries were like new again. You could get another 2 years worth of use out of them until they built up a new memory.

garhkal
May 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Interesting..

droid327
May 4th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Its a question of energy as well as flux....Destiny can't store enough energy to dial Earth, its like having a car with a gas tank that has a hole 40% of the way up the side of the tank. You can fill it up all you want, but you cant ever store more than 40% of original max capacity.

Also, I dont think Destiny can deliver power fast enough to make such a strenuous connection. Every time they try they end up frying out relays and such. Powering it directly from the star collectors gives it enough energy capacity ('voltage') but the system cant really handle the flow ('amperage'). I really doubt, even if the batteries were at original optimal capacity, they could discharge energy fast enough to make the connection.

It'd be like trying to start your car with a cell phone battery...it may have enough electrical energy to power the starter for half a second, but you cant draw it out fast enough to get it to go.

magictrick
May 6th, 2011, 10:00 AM
You guys realize if they could dial Earth it would be the end of the show right

jelgate
May 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
You guys realize if they could dial Earth it would be the end of the show right

Not necessarily. Look how many opted to stay behind in the Twin Destinies world

stargeek123
May 6th, 2011, 10:45 AM
They might as well now. It is the end of the show...

blackluster
May 6th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Personally, I think Destiny has enough power to dial Earth but I think the problem has do with what if it doesn't work. I think that should their attempt at full power fail, they would be left dead in the water.

Rylor
May 6th, 2011, 11:35 AM
It has been made very clear that Destiny does not have the power capacity to dial Earth. The only possibilites are dialing from within a star and using the capacitor of a seed ship.

garhkal
May 6th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Which makes one wonder, whether the seed ships would have the capacity, assuming they had a workable gate..

Shylodog
May 6th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Which makes one wonder, whether the seed ships would have the capacity, assuming they had a workable gate..

The seed ships don't have integrated gates. They were talking about using the seed ship's power reserves (if at full capacity) to augment Destiny's power reserves when they are docked.

Nth Chevron
May 6th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Considering about 75% of the ship is still unused/inaccessible/unexplored - we havent even SEEN the power storage capacitors, let alone know how to fix them.

As for dialling Earth, i believe Destiny cant dial Earth now, she is too far out, maybe with the Seed ship boosting, as they can all join together it would be funny if all the Seedships join together into a big ship and Destiny just mounts the multi-Seed ship and drains the power to dial Earth.

N.C

Shadow_7
May 7th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Well they can dial earth (within a star), but aparently only one person makes it back during the right timeline.