the water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the water

Perhaps i'm missing something here, but why wouldn't the water in the tank just evaporate and turn to vapour?

My chemistry is not great, lol, but this left me a bit perplexed!
    Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
    Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

It did didn't it? I thought at first she was complete submerged and then in later shots she was only half covered and so on...

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
      It did didn't it? I thought at first she was complete submerged and then in later shots she was only half covered and so on...
      I didnt see that.

I felt that at any temperatures where the plants burst into flame, the water should be evaporating quickly (and yes water above freezing temp is always evaporating), the temperatures they were talking about were way above the boiling temp for water 100c, 212f - (again thats only at sea level, maybe that is an out for the writers!), so all of that water should just have gone poof fairly quickly.
      Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
      Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Rush called it "cooling" something or something. Maybe it's coolant and not water. Magic Ancient water.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I saw this to.

Comment

yes the water did start to evaporate and the back of her suit started to be seen

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
            Rush called it "cooling" something or something. Maybe it's coolant and not water. Magic Ancient water.
            if it was a "c" word (lol) then you are referring to 'Collection'.

at 150 fahrenhit (65 celcius) water would start boiling but not evaporating yet.

Comment

It takes a while for boiling water to all evaporate - heat a big pot of water for your pasta - will take a while to all go away.

And, as people pointed out, the interior temperature of Destiny only got to about 150 degrees F (which is plenty hot), but at that temperature, it takes a while for all of the water to boil away.
              sigpic
              Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

The temperature inside the dome was not high enough for the water to spontaniously evaporate if thats what you were asking.

Comment

150 F is 65 Celsius. Water boils at 100 Celsius (212 F). The water in the pool would of been hot but would not boil and certainly would not of evaporated instantaniously.
                  Dry vegetal material usually ignites between 250-450 Celsius, which depends on the nature of the plant and whether it gives off volatile oils or not (like eucalyptus).
                  The temperature in the dome would of been around 300 Celsius degrees, and at that temperature the water would be boiling but still it would of taken a couple of minutes to completely evaporate.
                  Also there are two things you must consider:
                  -The dome was a greenhouse so the air would have high humidity
                  -The dome was sealed and the pressure was rising. And fluids under pressure boil at higher temperature than those at room pressure.
                  It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
                  -Dexter-

Comment

Originally posted by SGSargon View Post
                    150 F is 65 Celsius. Water boils at 100 Celsius (212 F). The water in the pool would of been hot but would not boil and certainly would not of evaporated instantaniously.
                    Dry vegetal material usually ignites between 250-450 Celsius, which depends on the nature of the plant and whether it gives off volatile oils or not (like eucalyptus).
                    The temperature in the dome would of been around 300 Celsius degrees, and at that temperature the water would be boiling but still it would of taken a couple of minutes to completely evaporate.
                    -The dome was sealed and the pressure was rising. And fluids under pressure boil at higher temperature than those at room pressure.
                    Exactly correct... it was pretty much a technically correct scene, even the blindness.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                      yes the water did start to evaporate and the back of her suit started to be seen

if it was a "c" word (lol) then you are referring to 'Collection'.

at 150 fahrenhit (65 celcius) water would start boiling but not evaporating yet.
                      Water boils at or above 100C (212F). It takes time for water to boil because the energy required for 212F water to boil is 5 times greater than what is required to go from 32 to 212F. An additional fact to consider is the water has a lot of thermal inertia and poor heat conduction (a perfect ablative shield).

Comment

Originally posted by SGSargon View Post
                        Once in the star radiation heat transfer would be the driving element that would cause plants to ignite and water to boil.

Comment

I was surprised the water didn't get sucked out along with the fire...

Comment

It did get sucked out.

Comment

And was promptly vaporized in the blue firey fusion of the star.

Comment

Working...
                              X