PDA

View Full Version : the water

mparsons1981
May 3rd, 2011, 03:47 AM
Perhaps i'm missing something here, but why wouldn't the water in the tank just evaporate and turn to vapour?

My chemistry is not great, lol, but this left me a bit perplexed!

KEK
May 3rd, 2011, 03:51 AM
It did didn't it? I thought at first she was complete submerged and then in later shots she was only half covered and so on...

mparsons1981
May 3rd, 2011, 03:57 AM
It did didn't it? I thought at first she was complete submerged and then in later shots she was only half covered and so on...

I didnt see that.

I felt that at any temperatures where the plants burst into flame, the water should be evaporating quickly (and yes water above freezing temp is always evaporating), the temperatures they were talking about were way above the boiling temp for water 100c, 212f - (again thats only at sea level, maybe that is an out for the writers!), so all of that water should just have gone poof fairly quickly.

MattSilver 3k
May 3rd, 2011, 04:03 AM
Rush called it "cooling" something or something. Maybe it's coolant and not water. Magic Ancient water.

General Jumper One
May 3rd, 2011, 04:06 AM

I saw this to.

escyos
May 3rd, 2011, 04:44 AM

yes the water did start to evaporate and the back of her suit started to be seen

Rush called it "cooling" something or something. Maybe it's coolant and not water. Magic Ancient water.

if it was a "c" word (lol) then you are referring to 'Collection'.

at 150 fahrenhit (65 celcius) water would start boiling but not evaporating yet.

carmencatalina
May 3rd, 2011, 06:20 AM
It takes a while for boiling water to all evaporate - heat a big pot of water for your pasta - will take a while to all go away.

And, as people pointed out, the interior temperature of Destiny only got to about 150 degrees F (which is plenty hot), but at that temperature, it takes a while for all of the water to boil away.

The Swarm
May 3rd, 2011, 08:24 AM
The temperature inside the dome was not high enough for the water to spontaniously evaporate if thats what you were asking.

SGSargon
May 3rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
150 F is 65 Celsius. Water boils at 100 Celsius (212 F). The water in the pool would of been hot but would not boil and certainly would not of evaporated instantaniously.
Dry vegetal material usually ignites between 250-450 Celsius, which depends on the nature of the plant and whether it gives off volatile oils or not (like eucalyptus).
The temperature in the dome would of been around 300 Celsius degrees, and at that temperature the water would be boiling but still it would of taken a couple of minutes to completely evaporate.
Also there are two things you must consider:
-The dome was a greenhouse so the air would have high humidity
-The dome was sealed and the pressure was rising. And fluids under pressure boil at higher temperature than those at room pressure.

JeffKnight
May 3rd, 2011, 01:22 PM
150 F is 65 Celsius. Water boils at 100 Celsius (212 F). The water in the pool would of been hot but would not boil and certainly would not of evaporated instantaniously.
Dry vegetal material usually ignites between 250-450 Celsius, which depends on the nature of the plant and whether it gives off volatile oils or not (like eucalyptus).
The temperature in the dome would of been around 300 Celsius degrees, and at that temperature the water would be boiling but still it would of taken a couple of minutes to completely evaporate.
-The dome was sealed and the pressure was rising. And fluids under pressure boil at higher temperature than those at room pressure.

Exactly correct... it was pretty much a technically correct scene, even the blindness.

morrismike
May 3rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
yes the water did start to evaporate and the back of her suit started to be seen

if it was a "c" word (lol) then you are referring to 'Collection'.

at 150 fahrenhit (65 celcius) water would start boiling but not evaporating yet.

Water boils at or above 100C (212F). It takes time for water to boil because the energy required for 212F water to boil is 5 times greater than what is required to go from 32 to 212F. An additional fact to consider is the water has a lot of thermal inertia and poor heat conduction (a perfect ablative shield).

morrismike
May 3rd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Once in the star radiation heat transfer would be the driving element that would cause plants to ignite and water to boil.

garhkal
May 3rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
I was surprised the water didn't get sucked out along with the fire...

morbosfist
May 3rd, 2011, 06:42 PM
It did get sucked out.

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2011, 09:08 PM
And was promptly vaporized in the blue firey fusion of the star. :)

escyos
May 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
It did get sucked out.

lucky Park had her magboots on.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Good thing that bag she had had been drenched in water or it might have burned up...

regards,
G.

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2011, 09:14 PM
lucky Park had her magboots on.

And her visor down!

Oh... Wait... :p

Shylodog
May 3rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
Good thing that bag she had had been drenched in water or it might have burned up...

regards,
G.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that those boiled plants and seeds will come in handy later. Maybe a curative poultice for her eyes? :p

Sorry, I'm in a mood. I genuinely liked this episode.

Gollumpus
May 3rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I'm fairly certain that those boiled plants and seeds will come in handy later. Maybe a curative poultice for her eyes? :p

Sorry, I'm in a mood. I genuinely liked this episode.

Me too. I'm just hoping to get some good natured chat going. :)

regards,
G.

timmciglobal
May 4th, 2011, 12:12 AM
This was by far the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this show. A blue giant is tens of thousands of times brighter and hundreds of times hotter then a normal star. Exposure to uv from that star would of instantly caused anything to incinerate. The av suit has the ability now to survive exposure to solar radiation at the very edge of a star?

Idiotic.

Tim

exscape
May 4th, 2011, 12:18 AM
This was by far the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this show. A blue giant is tens of thousands of times brighter and hundreds of times hotter then a normal star. Exposure to uv from that star would of instantly caused anything to incinerate. The uv suit has the ability now to survive exposure to solar radiation at the very edge of a star?

This is by far the dumbest thing I've ever seen in stargaze.

Tim
You're forgetting the shields!

The Swarm
May 4th, 2011, 01:00 AM
This was by far the dumbest thing I've ever seen on this show. A blue giant is tens of thousands of times brighter and hundreds of times hotter then a normal star. Exposure to uv from that star would of instantly caused anything to incinerate. The av suit has the ability now to survive exposure to solar radiation at the very edge of a star?

Idiotic.

Tim

The shield protected her from the extreme heat not the suit. How is that idiotic?
Or are you just looking for stuff to ***** at?

timmciglobal
May 4th, 2011, 01:19 AM
The shield protected her from extreme heat but rupturing of some glass bubble mattered? She went blind? Do you have any idea how much visible light and uv radiation 10,000 times more then our sun is?

Rigel is the 8th brightest object in the sky over 700 lightyears away it's a super blue giant. Sirius is the brightest and it's a blue giant. I can believe the shield theory but not if the uv gets through because at 10,000 times more then our sun at a minimum you would not survive the ir heat created from the exposure and if it somehow can get through to blind you then it can and would cause everything in that room to instantly incinerate much like the firestorm we see. Nothing would survive that exposure.

It's idiotic. Bad enough destiny charges inside a star but now a star that ruptured the shielding around the bubble/caused it to explosively decompress is insufficient to kill a human in a giant metal suit? Really?

I don't think even adria's personal defense shield would of been enough.

Tim

exscape
May 4th, 2011, 01:22 AM
The shield protected her from extreme heat but rupturing of some glass bubble mattered? She went blind? Do you have any idea how much visible light and uv radiation 10,000 times more then our sun is?

Presumably, the air vented because the shield is pretty much a bubble around the ship - it's not an invisible hull. The air would drain out into the vacuum of the shield bubble. That's how it works in pretty much all sci-fi.

It's idiotic. Bad enough destiny charges inside a star but now a star that ruptured the shielding around the bubble/caused it to explosively decompress is insufficient to kill a human in a giant metal suit? Really?

The shield wasn't breached. The glass(?) was.

timmciglobal
May 4th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Then what caused her to go blind? This is universe's problem again ... They want it both ways. Ancient broke down tech that barely works but at same time magically able to survive things that modern day lantean tech could not. Either that av suit is a primitive version of an enviromemtal suit or it's magic super ancient technology able to survive exposure to a blue super giant worth of radiation. There is no way she was exposed to uv radiation or ir or visible light radiation enough to blind her and cause that entire room to ignite yet that av suit somehow saved her. Bad writing and idiotic premis that ruined an otherwise good episode.

Tim

exscape
May 4th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Then what caused her to go blind? This is universe's problem again ... They want it both ways. Ancient broke down tech that barely works but at same time magically able to survive things that modern day lantean tech could not. Either that av suit is a primitive version of an enviromemtal suit or it's magic super ancient technology able to survive exposure to a blue super giant worth of radiation.

Tim
Thanks to sci-fi they do get it both ways! The shields don't block radiation completely (which is why visible light can pass through it, and why the hydroponics bay has that huge dome).

KEK
May 4th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Could a primitive environmental suit really block out light than intense?

morrismike
May 4th, 2011, 04:10 PM
He said collection (water recycling)

morrismike
May 4th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks to sci-fi they do get it both ways! The shields don't block radiation completely (which is why visible light can pass through it, and why the hydroponics bay has that huge dome).
That huge dome had nothing to do with that being the hydroponics bay. The ships shields provide provide protection while allowing a little bit of light to come in.

morrismike
May 4th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Could a primitive environmental suit really block out light than intense?
Unshielded that radiation would incinerate her instantly. If the suit is made for walking it can deal with high light fluxes.

morrismike
May 4th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I saw this to.
The water cooked off.

erotavlas
May 4th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Then what caused her to go blind? This is universe's problem again ... They want it both ways. Ancient broke down tech that barely works but at same time magically able to survive things that modern day lantean tech could not. Either that av suit is a primitive version of an enviromemtal suit or it's magic super ancient technology able to survive exposure to a blue super giant worth of radiation. There is no way she was exposed to uv radiation or ir or visible light radiation enough to blind her and cause that entire room to ignite yet that av suit somehow saved her. Bad writing and idiotic premis that ruined an otherwise good episode.

Tim

I don't see the problem. It doesn't take that much radiation to burn your retina. Staring at the sun from all the way on earth through our atmosphere will do the trick in under a minute. The suit could have still protected her body but whatever made it through the visor was enough to cause damage.

Shylodog
May 4th, 2011, 06:59 PM
That huge dome had nothing to do with that being the hydroponics bay. The ships shields provide provide protection while allowing a little bit of light to come in.

Then possibly the large dirt filled troughs did?